Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by CatsbyAZ »

An absolute relief when I saw the name Mark Helfrich trending
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ramcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Being a candidate and interviewing are not necessarily inclusive
Not sure you can be considered legit or serious, if no interview takes place, as was mentioned by Lev.
Says his consideration was exaggerated.
I am just saying it is a word play for everyone's benefit.

Rick gets press and maybe a raise at CBS.

Heeke gets the pressure he needs to raise more money
Ok got ya. Now, with news of Sanford not being candidate, the word play and smoke, is too much, lol!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CatsbyAZ wrote: An absolute relief when I saw the name Mark Helfrich trending
Don't know how he will do for my Bears but for U of A this is outstanding for multiple reasons

1 Not our HC
2 Not UCLA OC
3 Less jobs for Sumlin to consider
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

FWIW
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ramcat wrote:https://twitter.com/bradcesmat/status/9 ... twterm%5E0

Mentions Sumlin interview in Chicago today, one more in morning.
Sumlin, Sanford and Son, Baldwin and mystery candidate in morning. If Neuheisel is TV personality that was eluded too?
Maybe Lane out of left field?!

Could the mystery candidate be Charlie Strong?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ramcat wrote:https://twitter.com/bradcesmat/status/9 ... twterm%5E0

Mentions Sumlin interview in Chicago today, one more in morning.
Sumlin, Sanford and Son, Baldwin and mystery candidate in morning. If Neuheisel is TV personality that was eluded too?
Maybe Lane out of left field?!

Could the mystery candidate be Charlie Strong?

Possible
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

3 people have told me that the hire is Beau Baldwin.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

chiefzona wrote:3 people have told me that the hire is Beau Baldwin.
Disappointed but not a new feeling with UA football.

Any idea who he would bring in to fill out his staff?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Cheaped out huh
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Cheaped out huh
Cheaped out or couldn't afford? Attendance
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Cheaped out huh
Ok, we get it. Attendance matters but so does the lack of revenue from the Pac-12 network. This hire won't move the needle on attendance either.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

No one knows if it’s official. I’ve asked some CAL people and awaiting response.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Appreciate the heads up. Insert sad face. Doesnt move the needle, should have kept Yates in the role and saw what happened imho.

I will say one thing, I hoping more PAC network games at the very least. With hype, ESPN might have picked up games and a ton of 8pm starts. I liked last year, tons of 6-7 pm start times.
Last edited by Gilbertcat on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

PHXCATS wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Cheaped out huh
Why would people continue buying tickets if they weren't happy with the on field results????

If the stadium was sold out (or close to) there'd be no reason to make a change and it would send the athletic department a message that the fans were happy with the sub par results and constantly losing to ASU. Of course what happened is the fans and community gave up on RR which forced the newly hired AD to make a change to boost attendance.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Cheaped out huh
Why would people continue buying tickets if they weren't happy with the on field results????

If the stadium was sold out (or close to) there'd be no reason to make a change and it would send the athletic department a message that the fans were happy with the sub par results and constantly losing to ASU. Of course what happened is the fans and community gave up on RR which forced the newly hired AD to make a change to boost attendance.
Better attendance means more money. More money means you don't lose Sumlin due to having an insufficient assistant pool.

I get what you are saying but it came back to bite us.
prh

Post by prh »

chiefzona wrote:No one knows if it’s official. I’ve asked some CAL people and awaiting response.
Aside from your thoughts on the process failure, how do you feel about him going forward?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Underwhelming for sure. As with Sanford, won't win the presser.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... les-salary" target="_blank

Baldwin, 45, has only spent one year at Cal and the Bears’ offense, albeit with different personnel, regressed from 22nd in scoring to 73rd under his watch.

I realize FCS teams beat FBS teams every year, but for the most part you have to have gimmicks with slower smaller players.

I work at Cal Poly real close to football stadium (see it outside my office right now) and CP players are really small compared to the players I used to see around the U of A.
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

Apparently this is the only industry that consumers are supposed to pay for a shitty product so a better one can be made later, which they'd have to pay for again.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:Apparently this is the only industry that consumers are supposed to pay for a shitty product so a better one can be made later, which they'd have to pay for again.
Kind of sucks but it is absolutely true
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

PHXCATS wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Cheaped out huh

Better attendance means more money. More money means you don't lose Sumlin due to having an insufficient assistant pool.

I get what you are saying but it came back to bite us.
If there was better attendance RR still would've been the head coach

We can do this chicken/egg thing all day
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:
prh wrote:Apparently this is the only industry that consumers are supposed to pay for a shitty product so a better one can be made later, which they'd have to pay for again.
Umm... no.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

prh wrote:
chiefzona wrote:No one knows if it’s official. I’ve asked some CAL people and awaiting response.
Aside from your thoughts on the process failure, how do you feel about him going forward?

Very good.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Umm... no.
Big boosters tapped out

Pac12 tv money ain't changing soon.

What's the other way to get the money needed for the big time coach and his assistants?
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Chief, have you heard anything or do you have a gut feeling on defense with Baldwin? Particularly do you think Yates stays or do you think Wildcat legacies like Salavea and Cecil would be in the mix?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

The athletic department can't spend money they don't have or can't count on in the future. Look, it is the circle of life folks. With $$ comes good facilities and premo coaching staffs. Hoping discount facilities and discount coaches will bring you to the promised land has a low chance of success. There is a chance that you will capture lightning in a bottle like Lute but that is like winning the lottery, don't bank on it. Even if we find that great, new, young coach, who brings us success, he will get poached because it will take too long for the fans to show up. Folks who are waiting on success to "invest" in the program are really just leeches. You think Saban went to Bama out of the goodness of his heart..NOPE...they threw money, free houses and whatever else to get him to there. They sucked for years before that but never lost their money base. I know we aren't Bama and we never will be but that is why Arizona will never compete on a consistent basis. It is MONEY that brings consistent success...nothing else! Wake up!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Can we please stop acknowledging machina's never ending and unceasing troll job about attendance?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

And eh, I'm hopeful with a Baldwin hire. Not winning the presser for sure but I have hope since he has won before, and well, he's not Rich Rod.

Just don't know how recruiting will go. That is the most important thing.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UALoco wrote:The athletic department can't spend money they don't have or can't count on in the future. Look, it is the circle of life folks. With $$ comes good facilities and premo coaching staffs. Hoping discount facilities and discount coaches will bring you to the promised land has a low chance of success. There is a chance that you will capture lightning in a bottle like Lute but that is like winning the lottery, don't bank on it. Even if we find that great, new, young coach, who brings us success, he will get poached because it will take too long for the fans to show up. Folks who are waiting on success to "invest" in the program are really just leeches. You think Saban went to Bama out of the goodness of his heart..NOPE...they threw money, free houses and whatever else to get him to there. They sucked for years before that but never lost their money base. I know we aren't Bama and we never will be but that is why Arizona will never compete on a consistent basis. It is MONEY that brings consistent success...nothing else! Wake up!
awful post. we aren't alabama..you said it yourself...so don't compare us to them. just stop.

most sane human beings that are responsible with their money wait to give it away until they know they are going to get something in return for it. this isn't rocket science. you and machina need to get a room and chill out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

My read on this entire situation is the leaks of all these random names were to try to scare the boosters into paying more to land Sumlin. If Heeke was successful then he gets his man, if the boosters didn't bite then the backup plan is and always has been Beau Baldwin.

Long story short Heeke either hires Sumlin or Baldwin and the rest is just noise.

In the end only Sumlin would've won the presser, but Baldwin could very well be the best hire we could've made in the end.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

What are two of the most obvious ascensions to relevance lately? Oregon, and then Oklahoma State. What did both of those have in common? Boosters who wanted football to be good at a time that it wasn't.

Fans buy the product when it's good. Boosters help shape the future of the product.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
My read on this entire situation is the leaks of all these random names were to try to scare the boosters into paying more to land Sumlin. If Heeke was successful then he gets his man, if the boosters didn't bite then the backup plan is and always has been Beau Baldwin.

Long story short Heeke either hires Sumlin or Baldwin and the rest is just noise.
Yeah I am convinced it is between those two. And the deciding factor being money. Nothing leads me otherwise.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Yeah I am convinced it is between those two. And the deciding factor being money. Nothing leads me otherwise.
Can I dream and say both are coming?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

MountainCat wrote:
Can I dream and say both are coming?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I miss the good old days where GB was silent about his hires and we were oblivious about impending doom on the football, basketball and track programs.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Does anybody have any evidence that these leaks are from Heeke himself or his staff? Or are we just assuming?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:Does anybody have any evidence that these leaks are from Heeke himself or his staff? Or are we just assuming?

I don't think he's leaking, but he also doesn't go into full Ninja mode like Byrne did so stuff gets out.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

azgreg wrote:Does anybody have any evidence that these leaks are from Heeke himself or his staff? Or are we just assuming?
No one has evidence of anything. But this is how coaching search firms play the game. Unfortunately this rush or roulette game that Heeke/The Firm are trying to play with the Boosters isn't going to work. Arizona is a different animal than other P5 programs and I believe that Heeke/The Firm have misjudged things. This is very similar, IMO, to when Byrne was about to let Miller walk and then the entire city of Tucson absolutely freaked out on him. But in this case I think Heeke is getting a big slap in the face on how "meh" overall the school is about Football.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:D

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UofAlum05 wrote:
No one has evidence of anything. But this is how coaching search firms play the game. Unfortunately this rush or roulette game that Heeke/The Firm are trying to play with the Boosters isn't going to work. Arizona is a different animal than other P5 programs and I believe that Heeke/The Firm have misjudged things. This is very similar, IMO, to when Byrne was about to let Miller walk and then the entire city of Tucson absolutely freaked out on him. But in this case I think Heeke is getting a big slap in the face on how "meh" overall the school is about Football.
UAEebs86 wrote:

I don't think he's leaking, but he also doesn't go into full Ninja mode like Byrne did so stuff gets out.
My point was more towards those comments that are alluding to Heeke screwing this up because all the leaks when there is no evidence of the kind.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Sumlin would be the Prize for sure but very Happy with Baldwin if Yates is retained. In light of all the bs with end of RR era, think some continuity with the players and recruits will help, restart. I realize the defense has still been woeful but think most could see how lacking the personnel was when Yates arrived. Look no farther than 5 frosh starting in yr 2 and 3 starting d lineman in 250lb range.
Baldwin runs a spread as well, so perhaps the offensive adjustment won't be too severe.
Cal had a 1st time QB last year, following year where QB who started was experienced senior drafted 3rd round in NFL. So certainly would think drop off could be expected, as well as missing top RB and WR for most of the year.
QB played pretty well with over 3000 passing yards.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

I'm seeing tweets and message board posts a few people pissed off at the Boosters. But keep in mind these people made a ton of money in their lives for a reason and it shouldn't be up to them to stretch their resources because of Larry Scott's failed promises. If the Pac-12 had come through with the money that was thought to happen a few years ago then we wouldn't be resorting to begging boosters for an additional $2 million right now.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UofAlum05 wrote:I'm seeing tweets and message board posts a few people pissed off at the Boosters. But keep in mind these people made a ton of money in their lives for a reason and it shouldn't be up to them to stretch their resources because of Larry Scott's failed promises. If the Pac-12 had come through with the money that was thought to happen a few years ago then we wouldn't be resorting to begging boosters for an additional $2 million right now.
Yup. Fire Larry Scott.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

My point was more towards those comments that are alluding to Heeke screwing this up because all the leaks when there is no evidence of the kind.
I think he has somewhat of control inside his staff of what gets out. GB did. Or maybe it's DHR to try and play a leverage game.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

The only name i actually know that was handed to the media was Neuheisel and unfortunately, some took the bait. We might find that out to be true with Sanford. I believe Sanford was leaked to get last minute boosters for Sumlin.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:

The only name i actually know that was handed to the media was Neuheisel and unfortunately, some took the bait. We might find that out to be true with Sanford. I believe Sanford was leaked to get last minute boosters for Sumlin.
Leaked by who?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Even if the Boosters came through with the extra $2 million, won't it concern Sumlin how hard it was to get that extra $2 million?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

......I believe Sanford was leaked to get last minute boosters for Sumlin.
Do we know how well the leak worked?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

scumdevils86 wrote:
UALoco wrote:The athletic department can't spend money they don't have or can't count on in the future. Look, it is the circle of life folks. With $$ comes good facilities and premo coaching staffs. Hoping discount facilities and discount coaches will bring you to the promised land has a low chance of success. There is a chance that you will capture lightning in a bottle like Lute but that is like winning the lottery, don't bank on it. Even if we find that great, new, young coach, who brings us success, he will get poached because it will take too long for the fans to show up. Folks who are waiting on success to "invest" in the program are really just leeches. You think Saban went to Bama out of the goodness of his heart..NOPE...they threw money, free houses and whatever else to get him to there. They sucked for years before that but never lost their money base. I know we aren't Bama and we never will be but that is why Arizona will never compete on a consistent basis. It is MONEY that brings consistent success...nothing else! Wake up!
awful post. we aren't alabama..you said it yourself...so don't compare us to them. just stop.

most sane human beings that are responsible with their money wait to give it away until they know they are going to get something in return for it. this isn't rocket science. you and machina need to get a room and chill out.
awful but true...I am not sane..I'm a fanatic.
prh

Post by prh »

It's fine if the boosters don't want to support enough for Sumlin, but they need to be ok with the results of that decision.