Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:If we're hiring a coach who runs the triple option we're better off bulldozing the stadium.
All the service academies do it because of the size of their lineman and the inability to sustain blocks against D1 teams to run offenses that rely on passing or grinding it out between the tackles.

Sounds like Arizona currently

For the future, can he recruit? Hope on landing Polynesian kids?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:If we're hiring a coach who runs the triple option we're better off bulldozing the stadium.

Why do we assume he would run triple option here? All the service academies do it because of the size of their lineman and the inability to sustain blocks against D1 teams to run offenses that rely on passing or grinding it out between the tackles.
Until he proves he can run a different system efficiently, I don’t want him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Why do we assume he would run triple option here? All the service academies do it because of the size of their lineman and the inability to sustain blocks against D1 teams to run offenses that rely on passing or grinding it out between the tackles.
He's never ran another system his entire career and even if he runs something else our plan is to hire a guy to implement a system he's never ran before? Great plan!

Hire Baldwin for fuck sakes, at least he has an iota of upside.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Baldwin is far better than Kenny M. Kenny doesn't pass any of the tests.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Baldwin is my locked in second choice. And I fully believe this was Heeke’s intention when throwing out other names and I fell for it.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

We are going to hire a coach who has never installed the offense he is going to run? Or he runs the triple option? How does that pass any test?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

TucsonClip wrote:We are going to hire a coach who has never installed the offense he is going to run? Or he runs the triple option? How does that pass any test?
"Great guy"
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:We are going to hire a coach who has never installed the offense he is going to run? Or he runs the triple option? How does that pass any test?
"Great guy"
My dad's a great guy who will coach for cheap. Why not at this point?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Those sandwiches at Rincon Market are pretty pricey.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

No.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:Those sandwiches at Rincon Market are pretty pricey.
That a lot of money, but you don’t let him come to Tucson knowing that number and letting him leave without a deal close to that
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ramcat wrote:Some Good background on Sumlin. Interesting was born in same, really small town as Fred Snowden in Alabama.

http://allsportstucson.com/2018/01/06/n ... ext-coach/" target="_blank
Missed that post the first time, but bears repeating.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote:
jimson wrote:
Chicat wrote:
jimson wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Sumlin would be a home run hire for Arizona. That’s it and that’s all. I’ve heard all the bitching about him and I honestly believe some of it is angry Aggie racist guy who wanted a white guy in there. Well y’all got Big Jimbo! Yeehaw!
Or maybe some of you are all in his jock simply because he's black?
I’d prefer a qualified African American coach if he’s available and has mutual interest, all other things being equal. How many White guys we had in a row now? ;)
Not sure if I'm allowed to say this but the problem with Affirmative Action hires is that criteria often becomes more important than all things being equal, as in a choice between 2 coaches fired from their last stop, one would pick the one without a national championship and worse records. Or in my case, shilling for Hunley, but that has nothing to do with race but his passion and I believe, his willingness to crawl from CA on his knees to coach here and truly give it his all.
The smiley I included might indicate to people that I was playing around to see who would take the bait. I guess I sunk the hook.

If it is Sumlin, I can’t wait to hear complaints about this being an “affirmative action hire” quickly followed by, “Look, I’m not racist. I knew this Black dude once...”

It’s gonna be tremendous.
Anyone who negatively works race into this should be banned from posting for a week. It's 2018 and plenty of us on here are "millennials who get it" and should be allowed to sh*t all over anyone who parrots this angering crap.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No one gives a shit about race in college football. It's just win baby win. Nothing else.

Tired of reading about the race angle.

Reminds me of all the comments when RichRod was hired and they wanted to push his name on the Tucson Latino community.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Chicat wrote:
jimson wrote:
Chicat wrote:
jimson wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Sumlin would be a home run hire for Arizona. That’s it and that’s all. I’ve heard all the bitching about him and I honestly believe some of it is angry Aggie racist guy who wanted a white guy in there. Well y’all got Big Jimbo! Yeehaw!
Or maybe some of you are all in his jock simply because he's black?
I’d prefer a qualified African American coach if he’s available and has mutual interest, all other things being equal. How many White guys we had in a row now? ;)
Not sure if I'm allowed to say this but the problem with Affirmative Action hires is that criteria often becomes more important than all things being equal, as in a choice between 2 coaches fired from their last stop, one would pick the one without a national championship and worse records. Or in my case, shilling for Hunley, but that has nothing to do with race but his passion and I believe, his willingness to crawl from CA on his knees to coach here and truly give it his all.
The smiley I included might indicate to people that I was playing around to see who would take the bait. I guess I sunk the hook.

If it is Sumlin, I can’t wait to hear complaints about this being an “affirmative action hire” quickly followed by, “Look, I’m not racist. I knew this Black dude once...”

It’s gonna be tremendous.
No smiley, but I seemed to have done the same thing LOL. There are legitimate reasons why one might want Sumlin over Miles. One being he is a bit younger. I would pass on both myself especially if they are demanding too much money, but I would be OK with a Sumlln hire if that works out. No matter who it is I damn sure want them to stop shunning legendary alumni like RR did. For a place that supposedly has no tradition, that's stupid. We should have Affirmative Action for alumni coaches.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Merkin wrote:
ramcat wrote:Some Good background on Sumlin. Interesting was born in same, really small town as Fred Snowden in Alabama.

http://allsportstucson.com/2018/01/06/n ... ext-coach/" target="_blank
Missed that post the first time, but bears repeating.
That's a really cool connection.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

WildcatAuthority (24/7 - formerly Scout - Scheer’s site) seems to be going all in on this Ken Niumatalolo hire.

I think I speak for a number of out-of-state alums of a certain household income when I say with that hire I’d need 2-3 years of consistent winning to drum up the enthusiasm to travel to see the Cats play, or to give money to the AD.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UAEebs86 wrote:

He's ran it for 15 years now. Do you even want him to attempt to run something else?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I can't wait until we hire a coach...................................just so that this thread can be closed.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sumlin
Baldwin
Bring RR Back
Ken
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

The UofA can't release the name of the new coach until after 10 days from the day the job was posted. I think that day is tomorrow.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:WildcatAuthority (24/7 - formerly Scout - Scheer’s site) seems to be going all in on this Ken Niumatalolo hire.

I think I speak for a number of out-of-state alums of a certain household income when I say with that hire I’d need 2-3 years of consistent winning to drum up the enthusiasm to travel to see the Cats play, or to give money to the AD.
Winning is the test for anyone. Niumatalolo's biggest issue, IMO, would be that it would be difficult to win right off the bat bc our current personnel is a bad fit for the scheme he's run in the past.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Irish27 wrote:The UofA can't release the name of the new coach until after 10 days from the day the job was posted. I think that day is tomorrow.
This was waved
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Irish27 wrote:The UofA can't release the name of the new coach until after 10 days from the day the job was posted. I think that day is tomorrow.
Got a waiver
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chicat wrote:WildcatAuthority (24/7 - formerly Scout - Scheer’s site) seems to be going all in on this Ken Niumatalolo hire.

Oh, if the wildcats made the Rose Bowl the first year or play offs you would travel to see the cats. Now 8-4 might not, but there are situations where you would. Just poking you.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Winning is the test for anyone. Niumatalolo's biggest issue, IMO, would be that it would be difficult to win right off the bat bc our current personnel is a bad fit for the scheme he's run in the past.
Hire Sumlin, retain Yates, keep Tate ...... I’d be inclined to go to Houston or come back to Tucson for SC or Oregon.

Hire Niumatalolo and I’m going to need to see 8-10 wins the next couple of years before I’m going anywhere for Arizona Football. He just does not move the needle for me.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cal Poly runs the triple option. Remember when it gave ASU fits a couple years ago?

This past season Poly only won one game, and that was against another winless team.

It's just a gimmick offense when you don't have the horses to play with the big boys.

But the primary reason it will fail in Tucson is that it's a really boring offense. I went to a Poly game a couple years ago, and the only pass they threw the first half was at the end of the half.

Remember how everyone, and I mean everyone complained about the boring Dick Tomey offense? So Livengood brought in a guy with a really good offensive mind, John Mackovic. Mackovic did make Jason Johnson into a then record setting QB.
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

OSUCat wrote:

Oh, if the wildcats made the Rose Bowl the first year or play offs you would travel to see the cats. Now 8-4 might not, but there are situations where you would. Just poking you.
With RR’s recruits and players? Only if the subsequent recruiting class had a bunch of 4-star kids. And even then I’d be wary.

For this year, I’m making my summer/fall/winter travel plans now. If we shock the world and go to the Playoff, sure, I might switch it up and go see them. But I’m not going to El Pisso to watch us get smacked by a real team.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Seems like we're signing up for 6-8 wins every year at best.

Looks like we'll be doing this in another 6-8 years because he'll get an extension somewhere
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Hire Sumlin, retain Yates, keep Tate ...... I’d be inclined to go to Houston or come back to Tucson for SC or Oregon.

Hire Niumatalolo and I’m going to need to see 8-10 wins the next couple of years before I’m going anywhere for Arizona Football. He just does not move the needle for me.
I'm not in the camp that any rumored candidate is good enough where I wouldn't want to see results before buying in. Sumlin is probably the best of the recently fired, but he's recently fired for on field performance issues. He just reminds me of RR so much, which has upsides and downsides.

Purely on name recognition, Miles would edge out Sumlin, but Sumlin has more left. Then we get to apples and oranges like coordinators and midmajors. The bigger names don't move the needle for me any more than a midmajor guy or coordinator.

Maybe I'm just weird.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:But the primary reason it will fail in Tucson is that it's a really boring offense. I went to a Poly game a couple years ago, and the only pass they threw the first half was at the end of the half.
This is why it is a no for me. It is so boring. It's a waste of the good offensive talent that comes out on the west.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Seems like we're signing up for 6-8 wins every year at best.

Looks like we'll be doing this in another 6-8 years because he'll get an extension somewhere
That's AZ football. Has been for 40 years since we joined the PAC. Why change now?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol:

Wait, actually I should have posted the suicide smiley...
jimson

Post by jimson »

The wishbone's time has come and gone once faster players started being put on defense. You can still surprise unwary teams who don't see it much, but it's not sustainable.

If Barry Switzer was still coaching today with the talent he always had, I bet he wouldn't run it, or at least he would probably try to make it a quadruple option with a roll out passing game or something.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

During the last 6 years, I have probably been to roughly 90% of Arizona home games (Didn't have a choice the first 3 years as I worked for the team). But if we botch this hire (anyone but Sumlin or Baldiwn or some unknown), I will not step foot in Arizona Stadium even if it earns me years of Machina calling me a bad fan.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

Merkin wrote:No one gives a shit about race in college football. It's just win baby win. Nothing else.

Tired of reading about the race angle.

Reminds me of all the comments when RichRod was hired and they wanted to push his name on the Tucson Latino community.
This!!!
I still believe Sumlin would be a home run hire for Arizona. I really wanted him to work out at A&M but the 13 class was his downfall really....along with holding onto a couple of assistants about a season too long. I'm sure he's learned from that and he would kill it at Arizona.

Miles would be serviceable, but would bolt at the first chance. Plus that, I don't know if you have the players for a power run game! It would take him a while to get his players. if he stayed long enough, he could be very good!
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

. Wondering if Baldwin bailed and now Heeke is scrambling.
Think this would go over terribly, even with Tomey at presser.
Last edited by ramcat on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

At this point this hire should be pretty simple. If Sumlin wants to come and you have the money then hire him. If not, hire the bright up and comer like Baldwin. Start him out cheap, in the $1.6-$1.8M range. That way you save money to either pay him more if he does well or bank the saved money to pay up for a possibly better coach down the line.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

If Niumatalolo was hired, would we ever get a WR commit?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:If Niumatalolo was hired, would we ever get a WR commit?

Best question I've seen in awhile.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I was unaware of this. Interesting. That sucks for him, but if he turned down BYU, I don't see him saying yes to Arizona (nor do I want him to).
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

If Sumlin was going to turn us down, even after we got the money, than we should have never have flirted with him to begin with. They should have had strict assurances that he would accept once they got the money. If they didn't get that assurance, particularly after failing the background check, then they should have just leaked a weak ago that they weren't pursuing him.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:If Niumatalolo was hired, would we ever get a WR commit?

Best question I've seen in awhile.
Only blocking WR's!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

btfd16 wrote: I was unaware of this. Interesting. That sucks for him, but if he turned down BYU, I don't see him saying yes to Arizona (nor do I want him to).
Pretty sure that was waived decades ago.

Look at the AFA roster.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-de ... orce/89877" target="_blank
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:
btfd16 wrote: I was unaware of this. Interesting. That sucks for him, but if he turned down BYU, I don't see him saying yes to Arizona (nor do I want him to).
Pretty sure that was waived decades ago.

Look at the AFA roster.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-de ... orce/89877" target="_blank
You're correct. No way that still exists.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-de ... navy/91257" target="_blank
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

I just cannot get excited about this hire if the new rumors are true. Don't give me the bs about a Polynesian pipeline. There are not enough of those players to field a full Pac-12 team and there are already other teams that you would be competing against for that talent. Ken would have to come in with one hell of a homerun staff that has connections into CA and other surrounding states. I am greatly concerned about promises to run something other than a triple-option by a coach who has never run anything else. Other teams will be cautioning offensive players about listening to pitches from UA. We will have to show recruits that we will actually run something other than the triple-option, which would likely make us miss out on the 2019 class.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

As others have said, big pass on Ken. No triple option please! And no way he changes his offense and has great success after this long.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Paul Jonson didn't switch either

Might as well drop Nike for Russell Athletic too
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

DrWildcat wrote:At this point this hire should be pretty simple. If Sumlin wants to come and you have the money then hire him. If not, hire the bright up and comer like Baldwin. Start him out cheap, in the $1.6-$1.8M range. That way you save money to either pay him more if he does well or bank the saved money to pay up for a possibly better coach down the line.
I hate to keep beating what many will probably see as a dead horse, but how this thing gets set up might be more important than who specifically you hire. As you say, if we can get Beau at $1.6-$1.8M area and get him to act as his own OC, we might be able to pony up $1.5M for a super elite DC and possibly even $400K for an elite West coast recruiter which might put us in a good position for success going forward.

But we don't have unlimited funds so how this thing is structured is hugely important.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

LOL its like every morning its something to bring me down then by the afternoon Im back on the pimp can train. Just keep yates and let him pick an OC. Damage is done, class is lost. Hopefully the talent from last year can be enough till next.