2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote: Regardless of what went down, can't think of many situations where recruit ended up at school after a decommitment (rare?)
Not football but I believe it.happened with Jerryd Bayless.
Solomon Hill too.

Abdul Gaddy did too, but then decommitted a second time after Lute retired for good.

Both of those were due to coaching changes though.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

“A decision I make freshman year shouldn’t determine my decision as a senior. Of course, my decisions have changed because I grew as a person. As a freshman it’s cool, I don’t mind leaving out of state. But once you get closer to that date where you have to go to college, you start double thinking it.”

Makes sense to me. I've no problem with what Speights said in that article. Pretty much why I don't put much stock in commitments from 15 year olds.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

BearDown89 wrote:“A decision I make freshman year shouldn’t determine my decision as a senior. Of course, my decisions have changed because I grew as a person. As a freshman it’s cool, I don’t mind leaving out of state. But once you get closer to that date where you have to go to college, you start double thinking it.”

Makes sense to me. I've no problem with what Speights said in that article. Pretty much why I don't put much stock in commitments from 15 year olds.
I just don't think he - or any recruit - should commit until they mean it, and are ready to be done with the process. If I was a recruit, I would take all 5 visits, then decide, then be done with it, regardless of how long it is before signing day.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

How are we doing with Boss Tagaloa?

Can play any of the 3 positions on DL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... loa-152104
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA is ahead, but he is committing on signing day, so UCLA has plenty of time to screw it up
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Reydituto wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:“A decision I make freshman year shouldn’t determine my decision as a senior. Of course, my decisions have changed because I grew as a person. As a freshman it’s cool, I don’t mind leaving out of state. But once you get closer to that date where you have to go to college, you start double thinking it.”

I just don't think he - or any recruit - should commit until they mean it, and are ready to be done with the process. If I was a recruit, I would take all 5 visits, then decide, then be done with it, regardless of how long it is before signing day.
That was the only thing I didn't like about what Speights said. I would've gone for something like, 'Yeah, I screwed up when I was 15. I've grown up a bit and learned a lot since then, and I apologize if any trouble has been caused as a result.'

I'm okay forgiving a kid for making a bad/rushed decision when he was younger, but at least own up to it. Don't say that we shouldn't have paid any attention to your decision when you were younger.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

the recruiting world works different now. The reason guys commit is they get the hard pressure from coaches to commit or else they will lose a scholarship especially the type of guys we go after. So they commit and if they have a good senior year and get more offers then they want to take visits. The days of guys taking all five visits and then deciding is more reserved for the 5 star type players who have no issues with losing a scholarship from a dream school or only ride to a PAC 12 school. But a guy like Haliman, who we are his only Major conference offer, is probably going to jump on us early to make sure he his playing at a big time school. My challenge is if he say got an offer from Georgia tech because he blows up his senior year, then we could be screwed ala speights who got love from Texas a & m and started thinking twice.

The rich rod model to take a bunch of guys early by being one of their first big time offers has risks to it if that player starts getting bigger offers from more football schools or school closer to their home. That is one reason why I prefer we stick to California and Arizona when it comes to high school recruiting. Take JUCO's or transfers from wherever because at that point they are less likely to leave ala nick foles or Cayleb Jones and usually are only looking at immediate playing time. But high school, stick to our backyard as there are plenty of great players in our backyard. Texas recruiting never really lead us anywhere under Mack or stoops and recruiting the south/east might get us some nice players here and there but look at the Hulk from last year or Tabor or Kendrick Jackson, they get better offers and they don't come here.

This is why I loved the Modster commit, I see very low risk of a decommitt unless we took another QB which we won't do, he is local so less likely to transfer from Arizona when he gets there given he should know a ton of Orange County kids at u of a and won't feel like he is far away from home and he can help recruit other SoCal guys in his class. Perfect commit and fired up for him.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Newportcat wrote:the recruiting world works different now. The reason guys commit is they get the hard pressure from coaches to commit or else they will lose a scholarship especially the type of guys we go after. So they commit and if they have a good senior year and get more offers then they want to take visits. The days of guys taking all five visits and then deciding is more reserved for the 5 star type players who have no issues with losing a scholarship from a dream school or only ride to a PAC 12 school. But a guy like Haliman, who we are his only Major conference offer, is probably going to jump on us early to make sure he his playing at a big time school. My challenge is if he say got an offer from Georgia tech because he blows up his senior year, then we could be screwed ala speights who got love from Texas a & m and started thinking twice.

The rich rod model to take a bunch of guys early by being one of their first big time offers has risks to it if that player starts getting bigger offers from more football schools or school closer to their home. That is one reason why I prefer we stick to California and Arizona when it comes to high school recruiting. Take JUCO's or transfers from wherever because at that point they are less likely to leave ala nick foles or Cayleb Jones and usually are only looking at immediate playing time. But high school, stick to our backyard as there are plenty of great players in our backyard. Texas recruiting never really lead us anywhere under Mack or stoops and recruiting the south/east might get us some nice players here and there but look at the Hulk from last year or Tabor or Kendrick Jackson, they get better offers and they don't come here.

This is why I loved the Modster commit, I see very low risk of a decommitt unless we took another QB which we won't do, he is local so less likely to transfer from Arizona when he gets there given he should know a ton of Orange County kids at u of a and won't feel like he is far away from home and he can help recruit other SoCal guys in his class. Perfect commit and fired up for him.
Really good points. I think it's worth the risk to look for alternate recruiting grounds, because if you can develop a pipeline (i.e. our nascent one in Louisiana) then you can offset that alienation factor - but you're right, there is a bit of a roll of the dice by pressing for early commitment.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ESPN 300 released:

Tate at 255 and Modster at 257.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... order/true
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

What is Rich Rod doing recruiting these Top 300 players....DC, please call your sources and tell him to just stop recruiting Top 300 players especially from California. Focus on the obscure OKG's who will all be monsters.

Man, Rich Rod is really screwing up this recruiting class.

I kid I kid
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

the real dill wrote:ESPN 300 released:

Tate at 255 and Modster at 257.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... order/true
These rankings are HORRIBLE. Seriously embarrassing.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Never take ESPN rankings seriously. Scout has the best network and rivals is a distant second imo. (Rivals likes to drop our recruits largely for no applicable reason)
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

The way Speights has handled it is actually a good thing imo. The staff will likely still recruit him, but with him out of the picture and with Hamilton and Riley likely as ATH (Like Haden will move around from slot and WR to see best fit) we will probably take one more RB.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I think 247 has taken over second, behind Scout. I think they utilize the composite rankings to fill in gaps, but Rivals has definitely lost quality over the past 6 years or so
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:I think 247 has taken over second, behind Scout. I think they utilize the composite rankings to fill in gaps, but Rivals has definitely lost quality over the past 6 years or so
Yeah, I like 247. They don't take camp settings as seriously as rivals. (If you don't attend the rivals camps you magically drop see Cameron Denson)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Some guy on rivals said that Lucas is going to commit to UCLA and Harry is going to go to USC.

I'm not a big rivals guy personally, but that's what is being said. He claims to be HS ref out in AZ
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bug, you would have to wonder though the last time a ref was right. :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He's not a PAC-12 ref ;)
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:Some guy on rivals said that Lucas is going to commit to UCLA and Harry is going to go to USC.

I'm not a big rivals guy personally, but that's what is being said. He claims to be HS ref out in AZ
Never really had much hope for Harry and knew once he was a national prospect he'll be hard to keep. Lucas is intrigued by being a RB in RR's system, but I don't think it'll be enough to keep him. Especially because he's a saguaro guy. Did they post that on the rivals main board? Because most everything posted there is crap.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Love the film on that Jones kid who if he was 6'2" instead of 5'11" would have 5 stars instead of 4. Great offer list and hoping we steal one there
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

catinfl wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Some guy on rivals said that Lucas is going to commit to UCLA and Harry is going to go to USC.

Never really had much hope for Harry and knew once he was a national prospect he'll be hard to keep. Lucas is intrigued by being a RB in RR's system, but I don't think it'll be enough to keep him. Especially because he's a saguaro guy. Did they post that on the rivals main board? Because most everything posted there is crap.
Chase Lucas announced his top 3 today to Scout: ASU/UCLA/USC
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Saguaro...
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

catinfl wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Saguaro...
Can someone explain why we can't tap into Saguaro? I understand that this has been going on for awhile.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

catinfl wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Saguaro...
Doesn't Lucas play for Chandler High?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

catinfl wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Saguaro...
Doesn't Lucas play for Chandler High?
Yeah he does. Total mistake. For some reason I was thinking of Kirk. Well Chandler isn't much of a pipeline either. Don't have much success there recently.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

A former RichRod recruit at UM:
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Oh, that would be simply delicious.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Pedersen at Bleacher Report with a breakdown of top recruit targets. Hate the slideshow format, but it is May and you take what you can get for free football reporting.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The Michigan dude above is on campus this weekend
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:The Michigan dude above is on campus this weekend
Has he been to Auburn yet? Heard Arizona and Auburn were his top two.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UAEebs86 wrote:

No he is headed there next week then he will make a decision. He committed to RR once,why not a second time hopefully
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun May 24, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

No he is headed there next week then he will make a decision. He vommitted to RR once,why not a second time hopefully
Talked to a buddy who is a huge Michigan fan and he said he's a fantastic zone corner and average at best at man to man coverage. Auburn's primary defense is zone D, so based on that they probably have the edge. I have no idea what they have for available PT though, but I can't imagine he'd visit Auburn unless there was definitely time available.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Good info Choo Choo. Have to think that last visit has an advantage but here's to hoping
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Auburn is returning 8 starters on defense...but one of their corner spots is wide open for the taking. And they will be a top 10 team and possibly the sec west favorite.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hater, that sounds a lot like us. We may not be the south favorite but we are the defending south champs.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We will be picked 4th in the south and probably be around #20 preseason. Similar, but certainly not the same. If he wants to go out with a bang and a playoff appearance or national title, auburn is his best bet.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

While I wouldn't say no to some corner help, I'd definitely like to see Davonte Neal and Cam Denson get as much time as possible this year along with McCall of course. They may not be dominant this year, especially to start the season, but that would set us up very nicely in two years from a talent/experience stand point.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Countess to Auburn.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

and Hagerty to Oregon :(
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RB Jalen Ortiz from Peoria Centennial is transferring from UCLA. Any interest? (Played WR, switched to corner last year)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

On his transfer out: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports ... /70956078/

Bio: http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-f ... 46896.html
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Good kid, good teammate, solid athlete. Got switched to Fullback last year because of injuries, played well, but got passed at linebacker, his preferred position, by a couple of guys who were ranked lower than him coming out of high school because they were getting seasoning at the position and he wasn't. Solid pickup for the Cats.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote: On his transfer out: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports ... /70956078/

Thanks for the links. Couple of lingering questions/comments:

Kenney not being able to find playing time on the Hawkeye roster might be telling, in a bad way. The Hawkeyes have one of the most talent-gutted rosters in the Big Ten right now. In the last three years on top of not signing a top 50 class, they lead the Big Ten in transfers out. Thinking Kenney's move is also to get off a bad team.

Also, anyone have any insight on how he came about choosing Arizona? Given he's from Indiana, signed at Iowa, seems unlikely he'd consider AZ.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Merkin wrote: On his transfer out: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports ... /70956078/

Thanks for the links. Couple of lingering questions/comments:

Kenney not being able to find playing time on the Hawkeye roster might be telling, in a bad way. The Hawkeyes have one of the most talent-gutted rosters in the Big Ten right now. In the last three years on top of not signing a top 50 class, they lead the Big Ten in transfers out. Thinking Kenney's move is also to get off a bad team.

Also, anyone have any insight on how he came about choosing Arizona? Given he's from Indiana, signed at Iowa, seems unlikely he'd consider AZ.
Just from a little bit of research, he was moved to FB at the beginning of the year, played half the season there, and then the Iowa coaching staff decided to move him back to LB after their other FBs got healthy, which obviously set him far behind the other LBs on the roster.

Arizona offered him a scholarship out of HS according to his rivals profile at least, with Casteel being his main recruiter, so obviously the staff has liked him for awhile and there was the connection.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tamu/football/r ... nny-136573
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

That makes perfect sense, that the coaches were aware from him because they'd originally been involved in his recruitment from High School.

Glad to have Kenny on board with three years of eligibility left. He'll have plenty of opportunity at LB.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Glad to have Kenny on board with three years of eligibility left. He'll have plenty of opportunity at LB.

He will only have 2 years left since he transferred to a Div I school. 5 years is all you get, so he will only play 3.

2013 Redshirtted
2014 Played
2015 Sitting out per NCAA transfer rules.
2016 Play
2017 Play