71 Jordan Poland

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

71 Jordan Poland

Post by ANGCatFan »

ImageImage

Poland is a 6-7, 343, redshirt Freshman offensive lineman from La Jolla County Day School, Rancho Santa Fe, CA. Poland was a 4-time all-conference, all-region and all-state honoree and two-time team captain along with a 247 Sports All-American and a U.S. Army All-America Bowl selection. Poland was also recruited to play basketball at San Diego State after being a two-time all-state honoree.

Poland was originally committed to USC and switched to Arizona just before signing day in 2014. He is the heaviest player on our roster, but I haven't seen any indications are where he might end up in the offensive line rotation.

71.4 was Casey Skowron's field goal percentage last year hitting 20 of 28 attempts including the game winner against the Huskies.

Merkin

Re: 71 Jordan Poland

Post by Merkin »

Poland was also recruited to play basketball at San Diego State after being a two-time all-state honoree.

A future walk on for Sean Miller?

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Merkin wrote:Poland was also recruited to play basketball at San Diego State after being a two-time all-state honoree.

A future walk on for Sean Miller?

More Round Mound than Mound in the Round. . .
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

apparently not an #OKG as not listed on the online roster anymore. I thought he had good potential

Man, do we have a lot of attrition under Rich Rod or is this just the nature of College Football?
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

IIRC correctly, USC basically dropped him because of grades. I wonder if this is similar?
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

Rut Roh. Sucks...
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

When will college kids learn....wonder what he did
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Poland has been released from the team.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Well, there goes the quiet summer.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

This has got to help us land Eletise! right? He has said he likes schools that do not tolerate this stuff and that really opens up a spot for him?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Speaking of players doing dumb things, this story still cracks me up

http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/news/2002/1205/1471677.html

At least Mackovic was right about one thing in his time here
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Also wasn't Poland from Rancho Santa Fe and went to La Jolla Country Day...not exactly places where people are hurting for money
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I don't remember reading any previews that had him doing much this year. I know when he first committed it seemed like a big deal but was he expected to be an impact player? Probably see him join ASU in a few months. I can hear TG now, "everyone deserves a second chance."
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

UALoco wrote:I don't remember reading any previews that had him doing much this year. I know when he first committed it seemed like a big deal but was he expected to be an impact player? Probably see him join ASU in a few months. I can hear TG now, "everyone deserves a second chance, just like Caleb Jones."
FIFY
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
UALoco wrote:I don't remember reading any previews that had him doing much this year. I know when he first committed it seemed like a big deal but was he expected to be an impact player? Probably see him join ASU in a few months. I can hear TG now, "everyone deserves a second chance, just like Caleb Jones."
FIFY
Cayleb Jones? What are you talking about? Jones transferred from Texas, and he left in good stading. Jones was never convicted of a crime.

I love watching sanctimonious ASU fans compare criminal elements of the two programs. If I were you I'd just go immediately silent on this topic, Dick.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
If he's not thought to be a part of the robbery, why was he arrested and as a result kicked off the team? Is this an instance where we acted too quickly? If so that's horrible. Why not just wait until all the facts are out until we make the decision to remove a player from the team?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
If he's not thought to be a part of the robbery, why was he arrested and as a result kicked off the team? Is this an instance where we acted too quickly? If so that's horrible. Why not just wait until all the facts are out until we make the decision to remove a player from the team?
Berk's tweet that Newport posted is along the lines of what I was thinking.

I'm guessing that he hasn't been a choirboy the whole time he's been at school and that this was the last straw. Something tells me he wasn't hanging out with the right people and it ended up getting him in trouble like the staff warned him it would.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

What a disappointment re: Jordan. The perfect build to play OT. Hope he gets his life together.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Chicat wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:

I'm guessing that he hasn't been a choirboy the whole time he's been at school and that this was the last straw. Something tells me he wasn't hanging out with the right people and it ended up getting him in trouble like the staff warned him it would.
He wasn't being charged with the robbery, he was being charged with trafficking stolen property, aka the stolen microphone from the robbery. Doesn't matter if he was part if the robbery or not.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Regarding second chances... Who knows what Poland will do from here or where he goes IF he decides (allowed) to still pursue football. I don't mind coaches giving "kids" second chances. Not saying with Poland because don't know all the details yet or if Police will follow thru on charges.

Of course it depends and each situation is different.

Rich Rod has always had the philosophy of giving Kids second chances. DL Jeff Worthy comes to mind. Suspended from Boise St for entire season, reinstated, then dismissed from the team. Goes to a CC and then RR takes him. Cayleb Jones had some trouble at Texas. Faced a felony aggravated assault BUT charges reduced to misdemeanor assault. Jones ended up pleading no contest on the charge and received a 2-year probation.

Each situation different. Don't know what Worthy exactly did at Boise St, but Worthy has said several times he was immature and being stupid there. That Coach Chris Peterson gave him a "million" chances.

Here's a good quote from Rich Rod on his philosophy on second chances:
“I’ve given guys second chances,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t know about third and fourth chances.

“But some guys make bad decisions because they’re immature. And some guys make bad decisions because they’re turds. Nobody wants a turd in their program. But if you have a guy who makes a bad decision because he’s immature and he’s going to grow up … I’ve had great success with some of those guys.”
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like he made bail, no longer on the jail roster. When the story broke he was apparently still in. Can't imagine bail would be all that high for such a minor offense.

https://www.pimasheriff.org/jail-info/
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Fishclamps wrote:
Chicat wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:

He wasn't being charged with the robbery, he was being charged with trafficking stolen property, aka the stolen microphone from the robbery. Doesn't matter if he was part if the robbery or not.
Ah missed that. Makes sense, thanks.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

What a fucking dipshit. I'd love to give him the circumstantial benefit of the doubt but...what, is he a DJ in his spare time? Idiot.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

I never cease to be amazed at the utter stupidity of all of these kids across the country, for all programs, that end up in this situation.

Way to look a gift horse in the mouth Jordan. Free college education at a respected university, the opportunity to play big time D1 football in a Power 5 conference. The opportunity to have 80 great friends and brothers working towards a common goal and all the great times and camaraderie that come with it, and the opportunity to use this platform to hook up with countless hot coeds over the course of 4 or 5 years.

And you throw it all away because it's just kind of fun to have a chip on your shoulder or be a deviant.

Now my real question is, when is Rich Rod going to go to the Press to publicly pat himself on the back and say, 'We don't just talk Accountability, we live it here!'.....like Captain Crew Cut in Tempe? I love how after Graham made so certain to publicize that his vastly superior moral compass led him to dismiss Durant (even though it was the school itself that severed ties with the player).....that the local Phoenix sports media goons start frothing all over themselves about what a tremendous man this is leading the Sun Devil program.

Hey, only 2 or 3 weeks til camp starts in Tempe and Captain Wristbands touts every position group in camp.....and every projected starter as 'the best I've ever coached' or 'a chance to be the best in the history of college football'. But at least he's got his Deputy Sheriff Commander in Chief by his side to help make these determinations.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

HaCats wrote:I never cease to be amazed at the utter stupidity of all of these kids across the country, for all programs, that end up in this situation.

Way to look a gift horse in the mouth Jordan. Free college education at a respected university, the opportunity to play big time D1 football in a Power 5 conference. The opportunity to have 80 great friends and brothers working towards a common goal and all the great times and camaraderie that come with it, and the opportunity to use this platform to hook up with countless hot coeds over the course of 4 or 5 years.

And you throw it all away because it's just kind of fun to have a chip on your shoulder or be a deviant.

Now my real question is, when is Rich Rod going to go to the Press to publicly pat himself on the back and say, 'We don't just talk Accountability, we live it here!'.....like Captain Crew Cut in Tempe? I love how after Graham made so certain to publicize that his vastly superior moral compass led him to dismiss Durant (even though it was the school itself that severed ties with the player).....that the local Phoenix sports media goons start frothing all over themselves about what a tremendous man this is leading the Sun Devil program.

Hey, only 2 or 3 weeks til camp starts in Tempe and Captain Wristbands touts every position group in camp.....and every projected starter as 'the best I've ever coached' or 'a chance to be the best in the history of college football'. But at least he's got his Deputy Sheriff Commander in Chief by his side to help make these determinations.
You absolutely nailed everything with this post. Hadn't thought about it that way but Captain Crew Cut (lmao) is certainly approaching his issues in a different way than RR. Agree on the part about Poland too. Dissapointing for everyone really...him, RR, his teammates, and the fans.
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
Scummy Dick Douglas

Puerco wrote:
FIFY
Cayleb Jones? What are you talking about? Jones transferred from Texas, and he left in good stading. Jones was never convicted of a crime.

I love watching sanctimonious ASU fans compare criminal elements of the two programs. If I were you I'd just go immediately silent on this topic, Dick.

Jones charged with Felony assault:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... nis-player

My point with this is not a holier than thou jab. The point is RR is not, and should not be, a ruthless no second chance kind of guy. It was insinuated that RR wouldn't tolerate his behavior, but ASU would. RR has given second chances (as i showed above), and he should. All coaches should. Many of these kids come from broken homes and lack the instilled moral compass many here take for granted. Obviously, there is much more to this story if they are dismissing Poland for selling a stolen microphone.

Reduced to misdemeanor assault and placed on probation:
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crim ... bat/nfF8X/

Sounds a lot like Durant.
Last edited by Scummy Dick Douglas on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scummy Dick Douglas

HaCats wrote:I never cease to be amazed at the utter stupidity of all of these kids across the country, for all programs, that end up in this situation.

Show me where Graham ever declared he dismissed Durant? He suspended the kid indefinitely the day the arrest came to light, with no real publicity. Then recently, everyone caught on that Durant was not going to jump through the hoops to make things right, and was shopping around for another school. SI caught wind of it and interviewed Graham, in which he responded:

“He’s done,” Graham told SI.com of Durant. “We parted ways. He put himself in that position. It’s a bad deal, but you’ve got to have accountability. We don’t just talk about character and discipline. We live it. No matter what the legal system does, our standards are high and our guys know that. They know they’re going to be held accountable.”

For the record, my main concern as a fan is winning games. I could care less about winning the morality wars. Obviously, there must have been a lot many other concerns with Poland to lead to the dismissal. If RR had dismissed Poland for just this incident, (which he clearly did not), it would have been a very dumb move in light of the OL depth. Same goes with Graham/Durant. If I am Graham I am doing everything possible to get Durant on the field for me as soon as possible (the kid has clear NFL talent).
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Show me where Graham ever declared he dismissed Durant? He suspended the kid indefinitely the day the arrest came to light, with no real publicity. Then recently, everyone caught on that Durant was not going to jump through the hoops to make things right, and was shopping around for another school. SI caught wind of it and interviewed Graham, in which he responded:

“He’s done,” Graham told SI.com of Durant. “We parted ways. He put himself in that position. It’s a bad deal, but you’ve got to have accountability. We don’t just talk about character and discipline. We live it. No matter what the legal system does, our standards are high and our guys know that. They know they’re going to be held accountable.”

For the record, my main concern as a fan is winning games. I could care less about winning the morality wars. Obviously, there must have been a lot many other concerns with Poland to lead to the dismissal. If RR had dismissed Poland for just this incident, (which he clearly did not), it would have been a very dumb move in light of the OL depth. Same goes with Graham/Durant. If I am Graham I am doing everything possible to get Durant on the field for me as soon as possible (the kid has clear NFL talent).

Our OL isn't that thin and he wasn't even on the two deep
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

He didn't say he dismissed him.......but he certainly gave the impression that he did. And of course, good old Todd....never one to turn down the opportunity to spout hyperbole, stands on the soapbox to insinuate that asu football has a higher standard when it comes to discipline.

And my point about the Phx Media dorks like Marotta and Bickley remains true, they got on the radio and just gushed over the fact that Mr. Microphone.......is just running some kind of never seen before 1st class operation over there. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story guys.
Scummy Dick Douglas

catinfl wrote:

Our OL isn't that thin and he wasn't even on the two deep
My understanding was the starting lineup is pretty solid but a pretty big drop off after that, and Jordan Poland had some pretty big hype coming in. So maybe lack of quality depth as opposed to depth?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Oh and ASU Dick, my point earlier about Poland going to ASU was simply a joke, calm down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

From USC to UA, to Arizona Western. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Hopefully the kid grows up and can resume a Div I career.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Puerco wrote:
FIFY

My point with this is not a holier than thou jab. The point is RR is not, and should not be, a ruthless no second chance kind of guy. It was insinuated that RR wouldn't tolerate his behavior, but ASU would. RR has given second chances (as i showed above), and he should. All coaches should. Many of these kids come from broken homes and lack the instilled moral compass many here take for granted. Obviously, there is much more to this story if they are dismissing Poland for selling a stolen microphone.

He punched a dude for getting with his girlfriend he didn't punch his girlfriend. Not the same thing in my eyes. Cayleb Jones transferred out while he was on the Texas team he was never kicked off. Also Poland wasn't gonna play this year so it doesn't hurt the depth too much. Maybe in the future it will, but he wasn't going to help this year. Our two deep on the OL is pretty solid, but after that it's gets blurry.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Puerco wrote:
FIFY

Never convicted. Never dismissed from team. Never suspended from the university. Caleb Jones was not rehab case.

I don't disagree with your point, but you need a better example.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

How does this guy getting dismissed not have its own thread?

Burying it in this thread sure does make it hard to find out. Hell, someone who's not even into football had to tell me this morning that we had a guy kicked of the team.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I wonder if this means the staff will offer a scholie to Harper Sherman to come to fall camp now and not greyshirt?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

We are not ASU!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What is he accused of doung. 1 M is a big number so I am assuming this is really bad
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:What is he accused of doung. 1 M is a big number so I am assuming this is really bad
Scheer or somebody tweeted kidnapping for a ransom?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion