First Look Cal

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

First Look Cal

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is Berk's AZ Daily Star Cal first look. Highlights:
Projections: The Golden Bears will be better, but still not very good. That’s Cal’s preseason forecast according to most. The Sporting News said Cal “will be better, but that won’t likely translate into wins.” Lindy’s offered a similar take: “The Bears, who went without a victory over an FBS opponent last season, should be improved simply because they are deeper and more experienced. How much that progress shows in the win-loss column remains in question.” Lindy’s ranked Cal 82nd in the nation. USA Today thought less of Dykes’ team and ranked it No. 116.

Quarterback Jared Goff: As a true freshman last season, Goff broke the Cal single-season records for passing yards (3,508), total offense (3,446), passes completed (320) and passes attempted (531). Even with the big numbers, Goff’s inexperience showed a lot last season with crucial mistakes. He should be better this year with more seasoning.

Three numbers to know

123: One UA quarterback will be making his first-ever Pac-12 start against a defense that ranked 123rd nationally last season, giving up 341 passing yards per game.
104: Cal’s offense should continue to improve with the Bears returning 18 players from last season that combined for 104 starts over 12 games.
181-51: Cal was outscored 181-51 in the first quarter last season, forcing a young team to play from behind the majority of the time.

How they’re different from last time

We’ll let you know if they are. The Bears should be deeper and a little more talented when they come to Tucson in September, but this team still has a lot of significant concerns. A lot of them start on defense. If new coordinator Art Kaufman can help turn around a unit that gave up 529.6 yards per game last season, Cal can win a few games this season. If he can’t and it’s more of the same from 2013, Dykes will feel even more pressure than what he’s feeling entering this year.
CatsbyAZ

Re: First Look Cal

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Any guess as to the Time of Kickoff?

Would like to know early if possible. Will be stuck for work in Wisconsin/Chcago all that week and will have to fly in on Saturday. If its one of those experimental 11AM games looks like I'll be cutting it close.

Abe T
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Interesting choice....I'm beyond done with the "anything"-out concept - though, if this is a day game, it will be doing the fans a favor.....
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

so we will wear white at home?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Attendance isn't high enough for these things to work for football. Last time something similar was tried it was a huge fail.

But maybe this is happening because basketball won't be doing them anymore? Please?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Penn State can pull it off.

If we must do this I prefer red outs for the football stadium, but if the AD calls for a white out I'm all in to support him and the team. I have never understood the crowd that is too cool, lazy, stubborn or indifferent to participate.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Any guess as to the Time of Kickoff?

Would like to know early if possible. Will be stuck for work in Wisconsin/Chcago all that week and will have to fly in on Saturday. If its one of those experimental 11AM games looks like I'll be cutting it close.

Abe T
Airfare from Chicago ORD lands in Tucson at 10AM, so that'll be early enough to accomadate any kickoff.

The time gained from traveling East to West is such an advantage. Of course returning is a bummer.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm not a fan of all the fans wearing the same color shirts as the visiting team is wearing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:I'm not a fan of all the fans wearing the same color shirts as the visiting team is wearing.
I tweeted Arizona Athletics and they responded that Cal and UA have agreed to let the Cats wear white for that game.