All Time Most Hyped Games at Arizona Stadium

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Folesfor10K

All Time Most Hyped Games at Arizona Stadium

Post by Folesfor10K »

I was a freshman for Tomey's last year and a student during the tenure of the guy I won't mention by name so really I can only speak to the Stoops/Rich Rod Eras but this Saturday's game against UCLA may be the biggest game ever in terms of pre game excitement and hype. Right now I'm going to go with the previous Oregon game that was on Game Day as Number 1. I'll need to see how jacked up the crowd is in the beginning of the game Saturday before I can say for sure but here is my ranking. For those of you that have been to the games to see the crowd excitement, did I miss any? Wisconsin was pretty big I believe. SC is always pretty buzzworthy. That year against Oregon with Dennis Dixon was pretty big...The homecoming game with UCLA was huge. Last time we played Oregon at home and won there was NO hype. It was raining and cold and the stadium was half empty until we started winning then it filled up.

Do you agree with my list? Not talking about the actual game endings or outcomes because of course there have been some close games that the crowd had gotten into but more speaking of the pre game hype and energy and buzz in Tucson.

1. Oregon game in 2009?
2. UCLA this Saturday
3. Iowa
4. Assu Last year
5. Oklahoma State for RR's first year
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
splitsecond

Re: All Time Most Hyped Games at Arizona Stadium

Post by splitsecond »

I started a year before you at UA, and I completely agree. I am going to try and do the impossible to my liver and make it to UA for gameday (and possiby the game) Saturday and then Cards/Niners on Sunday.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

1998 ucla game?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

What time does tailgating start? I know people will be there all day but isn't there an official start time?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe wrote:What time does tailgating start? I know people will be there all day but isn't there an official start time?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Tailgating isn't allowed to start until 11 am

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Tailgating isn't allowed to start until 11 am
Chance they amend that since Gameday is here?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I would think they would change that for Gameday.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

ASUHATER! wrote:1998 ucla game?
This was by far the biggest UCLA-UA game in history up to that point (and will continue to be after this weekend, too). UCLA was ranked third and I think Arizona was in the top ten as well. Arizona got off to a great start in the game before eventually getting steamrolled in that game, but actually finished higher in the final poll than UCLA thanks to Miami and Wisconsin.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

1992 vs Washington was a big game as well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That game againt #1 UDUB that Greg mentioned was the biggest non ASSU game by far IMO. We had almost beat the U early on and they were #1. No game day then but ABC's top callers, Jackson and Greise were on the call
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Tailgating isn't allowed to start until 11 am
Chance they amend that since Gameday is here?
Seriously doubt it.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Going straight off pregame hype...

1. Oregon in 2009
2. ASU 2014
3. ASU 1986
4. UCLA 1998
5. UCLA 1985

All five were sellouts. Four of those games decided conference titles. The only one of this list Arizona won was ASU last year. Oregon 2009 tops the list because Gameday came to town and this game had title implications, the national media had started paying attention to AZ, and it looked like Stoops had finally gotten the team to a new level. Had Arizona found one more play in the tank, they would have gone to the Rose Bowl. The '85 UCLA game also would have sent Arizona to Pasadena, but they came out flat, mounted a late furious comeback, and then on the last play at the UCLA 32 they ran a short dump pass up the middle which was easily snuffed out. '86 ASU had no implications since the Pac was already won, but ASU was #4 and Arizona was ready to run another game up on The Streak.

http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/han ... 02d35.html This Hansen column from before last year's UCLA game is timely. It talks about the losses to UCLA that cost Arizona trips to the Rose Bowl. This, to me, is why this is such a big game. It's less about just the conference implications and more about the fact that UCLA is coming to town with the stakes high again. It's that Big One that Arizona hasn't won in the past. Last year against ASU, Arizona finally won a game with a championship at stake. I'm hoping this is the time they throw that monkey off the team's back. Win this and anything is possible.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bruins01 wrote:
This was by far the biggest UCLA-UA game in history up to that point (and will continue to be after this weekend, too). UCLA was ranked third and I think Arizona was in the top ten as well. Arizona got off to a great start in the game before eventually getting steamrolled in that game, but actually finished higher in the final poll than UCLA thanks to Miami and Wisconsin.
I never walked into Arizona Stadium more hyped . . . and never walked out more disappointed. It was back and forth, neck and neck for three quarters, then the wheels fell off. Ugh...

Time for some redemption.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

It was a short hype but last year's USC game had the nation talking and didnt they bring in a ton of recruits for that game?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

azpenguin wrote:Going straight off pregame hype...

1. Oregon in 2009
2. ASU 2014
3. ASU 1986
4. UCLA 1998
5. UCLA 1985

All five were sellouts. Four of those games decided conference titles. The only one of this list Arizona won was ASU last year. Oregon 2009 tops the list because Gameday came to town and this game had title implications, the national media had started paying attention to AZ, and it looked like Stoops had finally gotten the team to a new level. Had Arizona found one more play in the tank, they would have gone to the Rose Bowl. The '85 UCLA game also would have sent Arizona to Pasadena, but they came out flat, mounted a late furious comeback, and then on the last play at the UCLA 32 they ran a short dump pass up the middle which was easily snuffed out. '86 ASU had no implications since the Pac was already won, but ASU was #4 and Arizona was ready to run another game up on The Streak.

http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/han ... 02d35.html This Hansen column from before last year's UCLA game is timely. It talks about the losses to UCLA that cost Arizona trips to the Rose Bowl. This, to me, is why this is such a big game. It's less about just the conference implications and more about the fact that UCLA is coming to town with the stakes high again. It's that Big One that Arizona hasn't won in the past. Last year against ASU, Arizona finally won a game with a championship at stake. I'm hoping this is the time they throw that monkey off the team's back. Win this and anything is possible.
I agree with this. The UCLA curse is the next monkey in line to be taken out by RichRod and company. Win this game, even if the season doesn't result in a South title or more, I feel like the program is symbolically torn from the past mediocrity and curses.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Number 4 for me. 1998 UCLA 2009 Oregon 2014 asu 2015 UCLA. Not necessarily in order except chronologically
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Cactuscat

Post by Cactuscat »

That 86 ASU game was pretty epic....that game had everything, and then some
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

splitsecond wrote:I started a year before you at UA, and I completely agree. I am going to try and do the impossible to my liver and make it to UA for gameday (and possiby the game) Saturday and then Cards/Niners on Sunday.
Little bit older than you, but I decided about 5 years ago that I couldn't hang with a weekend doubleheader....sold my Cardinals=49ers tickets couple of weeks ago, easy choice. :-)
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Chicat wrote:
Bruins01 wrote:
I never walked into Arizona Stadium more hyped . . . and never walked out more disappointed. It was back and forth, neck and neck for three quarters, then the wheels fell off. Ugh...

Time for some redemption.
That game was part of my bachelor party.

Frickin DeShaun Foster.

Frickin Hurricane Georges.

FUCKING UCLA.

Redemption is for sure overdue.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

azgreg wrote:1992 vs Washington was a big game as well.
yup. second #1 team of the season; fourth top 10 team on our schedule. rise of desert swarm.
illcat

Post by illcat »

Chuck Cecil and the Van Raphorst int. the noise was so deafening I swear you could see it.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Gimino wrote:Here is my stab at the biggest Arizona home games in Pac-10/12 history ...
I am starting to agree that last year's ASU game was the biggest. It wasn't the most hyped since we didn't know it would lead to a championship but it did and a New Years 6 bowl. Pretty big overall and put Arizona on the map for a time.

The UCLA game has been on our radar since the schedule came out so hopefully it lives up to the hype. Of course win it, and then Furd becomes the biggest....
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

nice write-up, AG. thanks for sharing that. some nice bits of Arizona football history there, and a welcome blast from the past.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Was at that game as a student in the zoo...we were doing so well, leading late into second half before Cade Mcknown threw a couple bomb TD passes + we fumbled a kickoff return + they had a couple long running TDs...seemed like 21 points in 50 seconds for UCLA on HUGE plays, totally sucked. Made all the worse by UCLA giving up approximately 3,000 yards to Miami in the makeup game at the end of the season, which UCLA would have won easily had it been played earlier in the year when Miami was still green and struggling, sending UCLA to the championship game and us to the Rose Bowl. We finished strong that year, but Tomey never really recovered after that season, having flown so close to the sun yet not really accomplishing anything major but a bowl game victory over #14 ranked Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl. Still feels like a kinda meaningless end to one of the best seasons in UA history, 12-1 and a season that featured the infamous leap at Washington by Ortege Jenkins to win the game in the final seconds, just the week prior to the UCLA game.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

you mean the zona zoo? i thought the zoo wasn't a thing until the 2000s.

but yeah, helluva game. cade mcnown's fourth quarter, blugh. the rosebowl implications still sting. i'm sure nebraska hated it, too.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Yea, it wasn't called the Zona Zoo then, that came later. Feels like a different era, before smart phones, remember all the students were really into the game the whole time, there wasn't anything else to distract you from the game except sorority girls parading around.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

There wasn't even a student section then was there? Weren't students just scattered throughout the stadium?

And it was a different time even 9-10 years ago when I was going to games in the zoo. No smartphones then either or Twitter or instagram.

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Gimino wrote:Here is my stab at the biggest Arizona home games in Pac-10/12 history ...
AG really appreciate you visiting here. I cannot argue w/ that list.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ASUHATER! wrote:There wasn't even a student section then was there? Weren't students just scattered throughout the stadium?

And it was a different time even 9-10 years ago when I was going to games in the zoo. No smartphones then either or Twitter or instagram.
The lower bowl east side was all student seating at least as far back as 89, though not called the zoo. Embracing "Zona" for anything is a 2000's thing, as far as I remember Jim Nantz started calling us that in '97 and at the time it annoyed the crap out of me (still kinda does).
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It annoys me as well. Outside of the zona zoo...no one ever said zona in reference to anything school related when I was there 7-11 years ago. I didn't even like the zona zoo name.

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

true. i'm pre-zz as well, and it's Arizona. preferably enunciated george raveling style.

i think i remember reading on tos that the basketball team got to pick the "name the student section contest" winning entry, and jason gardner & gilbert arenas really liked zona zoo -- but only after their push for "lute-a-tics" and "the bat cave" were shut down. :lol:
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Denying the bat cave as a name is as depressing as not letting ole miss have admiral akbar as a mascot.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The student section as it is currently configured reaches back to at least 1988...only basketball had the inconsistent pockets of student seating.

1992 UW is the one that stands out to me. It was crazy all week...the Desert Swarm moniker had caught on (better than Cactus Curtain), and the hype from the Miami game was still carrying. Local media and some national media made a big deal about Rusty Medarias sending a note of support to the team (he was injured in our game against Miami...our close loss knocked them from #1, and made UW #1). I have an old VCR tape of the game that day, and there were 2 different local stations doing extended pre-game shows outside of the actual network show. Local sports talk was in full hype. And the crowd was fantastic...one of the best I have been a part of, if not the best. it was insanely hot for a November day, and the game was kind of boring in some ways...but the pre-game hype matched the game reaction. And the taking of the field was pretty crazy afterward. Speedway was locked up after the game, people just walking up to cars and celebrating (or jumping on their bumpers/hoods/etc)...it had a Final Four feel.

I've been in the stadium for every big game since, with the exception of the upset of #4 UCLA during the Stoops era. They are all amazing in their own right. Some are about the other team's fans (Iowa), some are more insane (ASU games), but UW was the one I remember having the hype all week and into the game, at a time when national hype for regional teams like us was really rare.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I wracked my brain trying to find a game you overlooked AG, but I think you hit all the high notes.

I will say though, the home game against UCLA right after Stoops got fired was huge. We'd lost so many damn games in a row and the program was a dumpster fire. I remembered thinking at the time that if the players couldn't take it all out on a UCLA team that was going through it's own turmoil and make a statement that Arizona had already hit bottom and was only getting better from there, I didn't know if the program would ever be anything more than a doormat.

But they kicked UCLA's ass that day and all those kids deserved that win maybe more than any other in their time at Arizona. And in many ways it did signal a turning point in the program's recent history. Kish was all about the kids having fun that day, and they did, and they continue to have fun to this day. This program is fun both inside and out in ways it never could have been under Stoops, Mackovic, or even Tomey in his later years.

So maybe it wasn't a "big game" with a ton on the line as far as national prominence, standings, and postseason possibilities, but it was still pretty big for everyone.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

EVCat wrote:I've been in the stadium for every big game since, with the exception of the upset of #4 UCLA during the Stoops era.
Oh man. What really made that one unique was that you could feel several years of frustration come pouring out of the stands. The crowd got louder the more the points piled up. It's hard to describe the way the stadium really felt, but as my friend said, "We've been on the wrong end of so many of these ass-kickings that it feels good to finally dish one out."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I had completely put this out of my mind. Thanks a lot AG! :)

Arizona was on its way to taking the first step, leading 24-14 early in the fourth quarter and hanging on in the final minute as fans poured out of the stands, anticipating victory, only to be sent back to their seats when the Ducks, after converting fourth-and-4 at the UA 22, tied the game with a 8-yard touchdown pass with six seconds left.

I was almost as mad as I was at the Illini choke job in '05.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I didn't really start following Arizona football until around 2003. Attended from 07-12.

For me 09 Oregon easily tops the list. I guess ASSU 14 is a close second. Would have been more excited had I knew UCLA would wet the bed the same day. 09 Iowa was another one I was pumped about. In fact it got Stoops his highest ranking while here, shit the bed against Cal the next week I believe. They were turning away students 30 minutes before the game started.

All the rest of the games feel about the same. Maybe 14 USC as 4th. Another loss. Doh!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

<threadjack>

This post is completely off topic but it is jogging this memory that I just gotta relate.

In the late 60's Arizona somehow got on to Ohio States schedule. I'm sure they thought, 'we need an unknown cupcake to build our resume', but there it was. Jim LaRue was our coach IIRC (or was it Mudra already?) , and of course Woody Hayes was at O-State. They were ranked 3rd in the country after being number one in pre-season polls. I think it was the third game of the season.

Woody's team played "3 yards and a cloud of dust" football. If they couldn't run they were done for - but they could run and nobody could stop them. Until the day that Arizona did. I remember the score was 10-3 but maybe it was 14-7? Sorry not 100% clear.

What I am clear about is coming to school on Monday after the game and my P.E. teacher was strutting around like nobody you ever saw in your life. Turns out he was a non-staff volunteer consultant for the UA scouting opponents films. He's was the one that spotted the linebackers telegraphing their big plays by taking a particular stance every time. Arizona knew every time exactly where the running play was going. Every damn time.

Man did Tucson go nuts. They even had dreams of 'Why Not US?' for a few years until Bruce Weber disabused 'em of the idea - took a long time to recover from that.

Of course Arizona went on to have a losing season, again, but I think the honeymoon from the O-State win is what got the west side expansion built (no, wait, that must have already happened - it was in place for the 1967 AAA High School State Championship Game that Pueblo lost to South Mountain ).

So, there was no real pre-game hype over the Ohio State game, it wasn't in Tucson and it wasn't on TV. Heck, I'm not 100% sure it was even on radio, and nobody expected us to win.

But there sure was a LOT of post-game hype.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

</threadjack>
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I'll jump in, even though it doesn't exactly fit in with the most hyped.

82 or 83. USC in Tucson. Best game I've ever seen. Final score was 48-41 USC. We had the ball at the end and Tunnicliffe/offense was clicking and driving for the tying score. Right at the end, we got hit with what seemed like 40 yds worth of penalties on the last plays of the game. Game over, but what a great game.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion