8 Reggie Gilbert and Jerrard Randall

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

8 Reggie Gilbert and Jerrard Randall

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gilbert is a 6-4, 262, redshirt Senior defensive end from Laveen, AZ. He is back for his 6th year as a Wildcat after receiving a medical redshirt for the 2011 season. One of 3 players left on the team who played under the last coaching staff, Gilbert has played in 44 games and started 34 for the most in both categories on the team. He has been a fixture on the defensive line for the last 2 years recording 83 tackles, 12.5 TFLs, 7 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles in that period.

Gilbert graduated this summer and is back for one last year in the best shape of his career. He will be one of the team leaders this year and don't be surprised is he isn't one of its most improved players also.

Randall is a 6-1, 185, redshirt Senior quarterback from Hollywood, FL. He played in 5 games last year as the #3 QB throwing 3 incomplete passes and rushing for 104 yards and 1 TD in 15 attempts.

He should be Solomon's primary back-up this year and I hope he gets plenty of time in the first 3 games in case he is needed later in the year. Randall is a tremendous runner and has a cannon for an arm. Both Randall and the coaches feel like he has a much better grasp on the system this year, but he is still working to be more consistent on touch passes.

8 is the number of Academic All-Americans Arizona has produced. They are:
1968 Mike Moody, G
1975-77 Jon Abbott, DT
1977 Doug Henderson, DB (2nd)
1978-79 Jeff Whitton, MG (2nd/1st)
1982-83 Ivan Lesnik, DL (2nd)
1985-87 Chuck Cecil, DB (2nd,1st,1st)
1996 Wayne Wyatt, C (1st)
2012 John Bonano, K (2nd)
Image freakin' days!
threenumberones

Re: 8 Reggie Gilbert and Jerrard Randall

Post by threenumberones »

Reggie is going to wear number 8?!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

NO. 9

“Leap by the Lake” most amazing individual play in UA history gives Cats win over Huskies

SCORE: No. 14 Arizona Wildcats 31, No. 20 Washington Huskies 28

DATE: October 3, 1998

Arizona's best QB and receiver have had #8.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Arizona football countdown: 8 days, the same number of field goals Casey Skowron missed last year
Still waiting for some hackers to release the names of all the scum who threatened Skowron after the USC game.

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Jerrard Randall needs to be on the field 100% more than he is now. We have our very own Braxton Miller sitting on the sidelines doing nothing the entire game. Possibly the best athlete on the team. Off soapbox
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Needs to be a reliable passer before he gets more reps. Otherwise teams will just stack the box. If he's in there, guys will be open and he'll have to be able to hit them.

TD run was a thing of beauty. It didn't look like it mattered what decision he made on that one, because Baker would have been gone as well.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azpenguin wrote:Needs to be a reliable passer before he gets more reps. Otherwise teams will just stack the box. If he's in there, guys will be open and he'll have to be able to hit them.

TD run was a thing of beauty. It didn't look like it mattered what decision he made on that one, because Baker would have been gone as well.
Line him up in the slot, WR, and at RB. He doesn't have to line up at QB. Use him as a weapon...kid has wheels and can fly and should be on the field more. I bet he can catch too.

Use him like Josh Kern, and now Cobb are being used. Certain packages and instances along the field. Put him out there as a decoy. whatever it is get this guy on the field.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

whatisee wrote:
azpenguin wrote:Needs to be a reliable passer before he gets more reps. Otherwise teams will just stack the box. If he's in there, guys will be open and he'll have to be able to hit them.

Line him up in the slot, WR, and at RB. He doesn't have to line up at QB. Use him as a weapon...kid has wheels and can fly and should be on the field more. I bet he can catch too.

Use him like Josh Kern, and now Cobb are being used. Certain packages and instances along the field. Put him out there as a decoy. whatever it is get this guy on the field.
Cosign.....and I think (hope) it'll happen against UCLA.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

whatisee wrote:

Well there are two things against this thinking.
1) He is the back up QB. Miller isn't OSU's backup QB. Different situation. There is a high chance that he will have to start a game this year as QB.
2) He wants to play QB. If he really wanted to play a different position than the staff would try him out there. The staff has no problems moving guys around.

Decoy work only if you use him sometimes. He isn't a decoy if he isn't used, just taking up space.

Because of the pace RR likes to run, you won't see him switch out QB's very often for specific packages. RR doesn't like switching personal out during a drive if he doesn't have to, it slows down the game.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

whatisee wrote:Jerrard Randall needs to be on the field 100% more than he is now. We have our very own Braxton Miller sitting on the sidelines doing nothing the entire game. Possibly the best athlete on the team. Off soapbox

Thank you for clearing the soapbox for me. More Randall please!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Can he play LB instead? Not like we need any players at those 2 positions.

Maybe the Wildcat formation?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I think Randall just needs to stay as the #2 QB right now. He' can be dynamic if put in the right situations, however, if he got hurt the #2 would be Dawkins and he isn't ready IMO. It's a card that looks pretty but it can impact the season negatively.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

chiefzona wrote:I think Randall just needs to stay as the #2 QB right now. He' can be dynamic if put in the right situations, however, if he got hurt the #2 would be Dawkins and he isn't ready IMO. It's a card that looks pretty but it can impact the season negatively.
That was actually my line of thinking as well. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more Randall. But I'd rather have him as the backup right now, and I'd like to see him get into game where they've got a 2-3 score lead to let Solomon rest. I don't know how ready Dawkins is and I'm guessing Modster gets a chance to fight for the #2 spot on the depth chart next year.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I'm glad they are giving him a shot to showcase a bit. If he gets a sniff at the next level it certainly won't be at QB. He might have the athleticism to pull a Denard Robinson type impact though.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Am I crazy or did I see Randall practicing with the WRs before the game and line up for a few plays on the outside?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I'll take the other side. I think if you've got a guy like Dawkins (edit: Duh, I meant Randall) you let him see the field more. 1. He's a senior, and showcasing your seniors is a good thing. 2. He's a talented guy and we could use his skills. 3. Getting another, non-senior QB some minutes will be useful for the future.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put him in full time, but I would put him in on some special plays/situations and then keep him at #2 QB. I think you take that risk and hope that both he and Anu aren't both hurt.
Last edited by Puerco on Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If Grant can't go against UCLA, would almost guarantee it happens, Fish.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I get all that, but I'm pretty sure he did play some WR tonight already.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

He did come in at WR in the first half, think it was just one drive, but Scheer and others in my TL pointed it out during the game.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'm starting to waver on my thinking there. You need a solid backup QB and if Randall got hurt, Dawkins would be thrown into the fire if Anu couldn't go. But Randall has six carries and three of them have been cannon shot +/-60 yard TDs. It might not be against the best competition but I'm starting to think like some of you guys - you have to put him on the field more.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catgrad97 wrote:If Grant can't go against UCLA, would almost guarantee it happens, Fish.
What's wrong with grant?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:If Grant can't go against UCLA, would almost guarantee it happens, Fish.
What's wrong with grant?
He left in the first half with a knee and came back out in a brace.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Play Randall if he is good enough to play. Injuries are all part of the game, and not everyone gets hurt. He won't be starting or playing a majority reps at WR so the chances are lower.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

OSUCat wrote:Play Randall if he is good enough to play. Injuries are all part of the game, and not everyone gets hurt. He won't be starting or playing a majority reps at WR so the chances are lower.
I think he has 5 or 6 carries this year. 3 of those have been over 70 yards. He looks to me to be the best pure athlete on the team. Play him all day long.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Didn't Glenn say that he was the best athlete on the team last night?
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Can we get a gif or video of that stiff arm?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

This writer at TodaysU really knows his Arizona football: Jerrard Randall the nation's 2nd-most interesting back-up QB.
The nation’s leader in runs of 50-plus yards is not Leonard Fournette. Not Nick Chubb. Not Derrick Henry.

The nation’s leader in runs of 50-plus yards is not a running back.

Not a Heisman candidate.

Not a starter.

The nation’s leader in runs of 50-plus yards has only six carries all season.

The nation’s leader in runs of 50-plus yards is Arizona’s second-string quarterback Jerrard Randall.
baconus66 wrote:Can we get a gif or video of that stiff arm?
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

I kind of like that guy at that new website TodaysU. You never know where he might show up.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Good article AG. My only problem with him at receiver is that he'll outrun Anu's arm unless they bubble screen or throw shorts. That and if he gets hurt and then God forbid Anu goes down....it's just Dawkins and Werls. We'll see how it goes.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Nice article, G.

I could see opposing defenses freaking out on Randall in motion for a fly sweep or decoy.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

wyo-cat wrote:Nice article, G.

I could see opposing defenses freaking out on Randall in motion for a fly sweep or decoy.
I would run Randall out first series and run some option with him. Not read option but straight up option with him and Wilson. Run another tackle out there instead of a TE or WR and run it till they stop it.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

dc4azcats wrote:

I would run Randall out first series and run some option with him. Not read option but straight up option with him and Wilson. Run another tackle out there instead of a TE or WR and run it till they stop it.
DC, it seems that the D may bite on him pulling the ball on the read option and it could open up a huge hole for Wilson.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How about just let cobb be the lead blocker. Oh my
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looking at rushing stats, Randall is 11th in the PAC in total rushing yards.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/con ... conference
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Randall is a tremendous athlete with sick moves. Those jukes on that gif, wow.

He's too much of a force to be sitting on the bench. We'll see him Saturday...I think!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

DC, it seems that the D may bite on him pulling the ball on the read option and it could open up a huge hole for Wilson.

When has the UCLA D ever bit on the read option?
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

chiefzona wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

When has the UCLA D ever bit on the read option?
BJ had 82 yards on 16 carries w/ 4 runs of 9 yards or greater in 2013. We moved the ball pretty well in that game, just got steamrolled on D w/ the surprise Jack Attack and the Ka'Deem fumble in the end zone was killer.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Can't get enough of this stiff arm.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lost in last nights debacle was Randall's progression through the game.

Begin to have a bit of air under his passes and connected on a few. Will be nice to see how he does against ntOSU.

The bar is low, I know, but I'm willing to give the guy some credit. I thought he did alright given what he was up against.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:Lost in last nights debacle was Randall's progression through the game.

Begin to have a bit of air under his passes and connected on a few. Will be nice to see how he does against ntOSU.

The bar is low, I know, but I'm willing to give the guy some credit. I thought he did alright given what he was up against.
It's already confirmed anu is out again?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I have no idea,

just wanted to give the guy props for getting thrown into a hopeless situation.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Randall said yesterday he has a sore hamstring that's been bothering him since the NAU game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:Randall said yesterday he has a sore hamstring that's been bothering him since the NAU game.

really?

smh...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm really pissed about the "no bye week"

So upsetting that it makes me want to support a players union to petition for mandatory bye weeks during the season, but not after the "last game" but still on the season calendar schedule.

Player health and safety apparently doesn't cross the Pac-12's mind.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good story on a superb athlete who wanted to play QB but probably shouldn't have. Take note Tate.

Randall hoping to catch on at WR after bowl

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... &id=201408" target="_blank
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

I'm kinda partial to this Jerrard Randall story from earlier in the week...

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/30761085/gimino-arizona-wildcats-qb-jerrard-randall-nfl-draft
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good stuff AG, I missed it!

Is his 4.3 time hand timed?

Looking at the NFL combine from early this year these are the fastest 40 times:

OVERALL
1. UAB WR J.J. Nelson: 4.28
2. Michigan St. CB Trae Waynes: 4.31
3. Miami WR Phillip Dorsett: 4.33
4. Georgia WR Chris Conley: 4.35
4. West Virginia WR Kevin White: 4.35