Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Saint James

Re: Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Post by Saint James »

It is hard to tell. I agree he was targeted. I've always thought Mora is a dirty coach. Nevertheless, if he caught the ball, he may have had time to react to the targeter before being hit.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Bruins01 wrote: It was a perfectly fine hit. Tahaan Goodman led with his shoulder, hit Hill in the shoulder (!!!) and the only reason Hill got hit in the head area was because he bobbled the pass and had to reach down to recover it. But the only thing Hill's head hit was the turf. Definitely can't call that targeting.

Here's a vine of it.

https://vine.co/v/OO13OFdIVuA

Also, you thought he was going to be paralyzed?? Come on, man, get a grip.
Looks to me like Goodman got plenty of Hill's chin strap or ear hole in addition to his shoulder on that one. The video isn't long enough to be sure, but I clearly remember Hill on the ground twitching around like an upside down cockroach for a few seconds - trying like hell to sit up but his arms and legs weren't cooperating. So yeah, I thought he might be hurt pretty bad in the moment. Like I mentioned, they ignored on the broadcast. Clearly he managed to get off the field without being carted off ultimately. My grip is fine, thanks.

Bug seems to think I'm remembering some other hit, but I don't know.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Youtube john Boyett arizona, 2011. It's about the 225 mark. There are also a few articles about the hit and how Hill felt

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... fDw999zrcA
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

MrBug708 wrote:Youtube john Boyett arizona, 2011. It's about the 225 mark. There are also a few articles about the hit and how Hill felt

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... fDw999zrcA
Thanks Bug for reminding me of that one too. That's the night LaMichael James went off for 288 yards. I watched that game at Taylor's Bar & Grill in Eugene just off campus. Only Wildcat in the house. :lol:

That Goodman hit is the one I thinking of.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

http://m.tucson.com/sports/football/col ... dead7.html

Even has the motionless 30 seconds as previously mentioned.

Some shitty luck on Hills part
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

I have no idea what you guys are seeing. Pretty clear that Goodman only hit Hill's shoulder. If Hill was concussed, it could only have been caused by his head hitting the ground after the hit. Goodman definitely did not lead with his helmet and did not hit Hill in the head or neck area.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

https://vine.co/v/OO1YjJeOpeE

It was high, Hill did lower his head but it depends on your view.
Goodman had four solo tackles, including a big hit on receiver Austin Hill that had TV announcers arguing for a targeting penalty. (Wildcats head coach Rich Rodriguez later said it looked like a clean hit.)
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2014110 ... st-arizona

I like the old school attempt at making a tackle approach myself. No need to go high or low.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Desmond Howard at practice.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

Getting to nitty gritty.

UCLA has owned us for three years. That includes the year before Jack arrived on the scene. UCLA has better athletes and more of them. Offensive guru RR has totally been stymied.

Does anyone really believe we can win?

I do but I'm going with heart and hope rather than brain.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Whats funny is we owned UCLA before Mora and Rich Rod came on the scene, think it was like 5 out of 6 years we beat them.

Last three have been tough, but feel the most confident about this one. Think they score on us especially rushing the ball unless Scobby plays, but think we can score on them especially without Jack. No reason we can't win this one
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Vegas has the spread 3 to 4.5 in favor of ucla. So the pros are certainly expecting a close game.

If you are a fan and don't see a chance I feel sorry for you.

Not only do I believe we can win, I expect it.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Saint James wrote:Getting to nitty gritty.

UCLA has owned us for three years. That includes the year before Jack arrived on the scene. UCLA has better athletes and more of them. Offensive guru RR has totally been stymied.

Can't say it enough - Ucla losing Jack is the single biggest deal in this game because he could cover a slot WR and as has been mentioned by others - you can't run the quick WR screen because Phillips or Grant can't block him. I'm guessing if you asked RR to name a guy that he would like to see not in this game he would name Jack first and Perkins second. Doesn't mean that Ucla doesn't have other guys as they do, but they aren't Myles Jack. You didn't have to sub Jack out in obvious passing situations because he can cover guys, now you might because it could be a mismatch if a LB is covering Phillips or Jackson in the slot.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Right on, DC. Jack is too much of a talent to be replaced. Sucks for them, but that's the breaks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If Carey doesn't fumble at the half inch line in 2013, that's a win. Arizona held UCLA's Heisman candidate QB to 17 points despite them having a lot of opportunities in AZ's end of the field. Arizona can win this game. They have to play a solid game all around but it's not like they're going up against the 49ers. UCLA is ranked in the top ten for a reason. I'm hoping that reason ends up being "latest Arizona top-10 ambush" after Saturday.

It can be done. These guys want this one bad. RR wants it even worse.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

You'd better believe it James. Actually, "believe" is a poor choice of words in this case. You know it, James!

Take care of the ball, make the simple, easy plays, and we'll eventually walk out winners. Home field, top defensive player out, Scooby coming back, Solomon another year smarter and stronger (and fully healthy unlike late in the season LY), Nick Wilson healthy and hungry, Jerrard Randall packages, and a true Freshman QB making his first PAC/PAC road start. All in our favor. I'm fucking ready for this one.

P.S. I love how people keep saying that RR is "stymied" by this defense. Yes, @ UCLA we have not done well, but @ home we scored 26 points. That's not too shabby, and if Rosen throws 3 picks again that'd be enough to win. We also got shutout by Oregon w/ Matt Scott, lost LY scoring on the final play, scored 17 vs. WSU, etc. Bad games happen. Every week is a new week.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'd say three games, in which you scored what you generally score on average each game, is the definition stymied
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

MrBug708 wrote:I'd say three games, in which you scored what you generally score on average each game, is the definition stymied
How about being stymied by Oregon? 0, 42, 31, 7. Average: 20
10+7+26, Average: 14.66

Less than 6 points less, but only one team stymies us?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I don't know what oregon has to do with. I certainly didn't imply only one team is allowed to stymie another or not. Ucla has been stymied by both oregon and Stanford.

What does Arizona average each of the past three years?
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

MrBug708 wrote:I don't know what oregon has to do with. I certainly didn't imply only one team is allowed to stymie another or not. Ucla has been stymied by both oregon and Stanford.

What does Arizona average each of the past three years?
What I'm trying to say is, in a sample size of 3 games, one of which we scored 26 points, I would not use the word "stymied", unless we'd played all three games with 10 points or something. Consider an opponent like Oregon, where we've had games with very little offensive production, and hence a similar average, that adjective would clearly not be applied. Both games at UCLA: Stymied. The game in Tucson: Not stymied. Therefore, I take issue with talking heads saying that UCLA has historically stymied Arizona in this matchup. They've stymied us @UCLA. They have not fared as well @Arizona.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'd agree but you only just used historical in this last post
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

btfd16 wrote:Desmond Howard at practice.
I wonder how many xanax that clown had to take to numb his RichRod hatred and make it through that.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

dc4azcats wrote:

Can't say it enough - Ucla losing Jack is the single biggest deal in this game because he could cover a slot WR and as has been mentioned by others - you can't run the quick WR screen because Phillips or Grant can't block him. I'm guessing if you asked RR to name a guy that he would like to see not in this game he would name Jack first and Perkins second. Doesn't mean that Ucla doesn't have other guys as they do, but they aren't Myles Jack. You didn't have to sub Jack out in obvious passing situations because he can cover guys, now you might because it could be a mismatch if a LB is covering Phillips or Jackson in the slot.
If you asked RR he would say Josh Rosen first or second. Have you seen Neuheisel? UCLA has plenty of depth at running back.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Jack brings versatility, but on defense, I'd argue Kenny Clark right now
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

splitsecond wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Desmond Howard at practice.
I wonder how many xanax that clown had to take to numb his RichRod hatred and make it through that.
my first thought also. but heard they were friendly and chopping it up before practice
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

what happened to jack?

I missed hearing that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Torn Meniscus
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Bruins01 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

If you asked RR he would say Josh Rosen first or second. Have you seen Neuheisel? UCLA has plenty of depth at running back.
5 TD's and 4 ints says he picks Jack first.
Last edited by dc4azcats on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:Jack brings versatility, but on defense, I'd argue Kenny Clark right now
You guys are unbelievable. Name another player that requires two different players to replace him? Jack as a LB can cover a slot WR - please name another LB who does that? The slot WR for Arizona is a big deal and is almost always open because of the mismatch with either a safety or a LB covering them. Ucla could leave Jack in regardless of the situation and now, if Anu gets in rhythm and doesn't allow for Ucla to sub, we will have a mismatch out there. Nobody but Jack is able to do that - thus the importance of him to Ucla and the importance to Arizona that he's not out there. It's not even close but by all means keep throwing out other names like it is????
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Yes, I certainly believe we can win. That being said I would have to side with the boys in Vegas is saying that there is less than a 50% chance of that happening.

UCLA has beaten us the last 3 years primarily because they have better offensive and defensive lineman....and subsequently have won the battle of the trenches each year.

Kenny Clark is an excellent example of this....he is a 6'3" 310 lb defensive tackle and can beat any offensive lineman we have one-on-one. We simply don't have anyone like that. What does give me some hope is that we are incrementally a little better off on both sides of the ball than we were last year. UCLA has lost Vanderdoes (who is much like Kenny Clark) and we have a little more size (we won't be starting a 247 lb NT) on the defensive line .

That being said I think that to win we will have to cheat on D and stack 8 guys in the box and hope thats enough to stop Perkins while simultaneously praying that Rosen doesn't go off on us.

On offense we need to take advantage of Vanderdoes absence and run away from the side of the ball where Clark lines up....and then hope that Anu has better success throwing vertically down-field this year.

I think the primary reason that Mora has had RRods number is the style of play each coach employs. Mora plays smash mouth football (with better mouth smashers than we have) while RRod goes with more of a finesse type game. Also, our defensive scheme isn't optimal for stopping UCLA. The 3-3-5 was invented to counter the spread offense.........not to stop a smash mouth running scheme. I pray that Casteel finally shows the flexibility and creativity to get outside his comfort zone in the event that UCLA is able to run over the inevitable 8 men in the box I believe we will have to employ. If 8 are not enough then I would hope Casteel/RRod would at least try to employ a true 4-3 defense (with 4 actual lineman,not a LB lined up over an OT) to stop Perkins.

One definition of insanity is to keep repeating what you are doing (when its not working) and expect different results.

Bear Down
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Last time we didnt have Jack, we ran up 60 on you guys. But by all means, tell UCLA fans who they should and should not want. If we lose Kenny Clark, we replace him with a trio of Ankou, Dickerson, and JTM, each who do different thing, depending on the scheme. But hey, an Arizona fan would know more about our team. We already lost Vanderdoes at DT. Not many teams can replace two NFL DT's if they were lost to injury. So far we've lost one NFL caliber LBer.

I (We) understand Jack's value to the team. Maybe Bruins01 would disagree and thinks Jack is the most important player. I watch every game. I know what he brings and what he doesnt bring. But by all means, continuing commenting for us like it is???

We have a position called a mini-backer. We used it three years ago. We still recruit players for the spot. Myles Jack is a loss and is hard to replace. That doesn't mean we also don't have other defensive players that are harder to replace. But you think it's not even close. Maybe you watch more UCLA football than I do. I don't know.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dmjcat wrote:

Yes, I certainly believe we can win. That being said I would have to side with the boys in Vegas is saying that there is less than a 50% chance of that happening.

UCLA has beaten us the last 3 years primarily because they have better offensive and defensive lineman....and subsequently have won the battle of the trenches each year.

Kenny Clark is an excellent example of this....he is a 6'3" 310 lb defensive tackle and can beat any offensive lineman we have one-on-one. We simply don't have anyone like that. What does give me some hope is that we are incrementally a little better off on both sides of the ball than we were last year. UCLA has lost Vanderdoes (who is much like Kenny Clark) and we have a little more size (we won't be starting a 247 lb NT) on the defensive line .

That being said I think that to win we will have to cheat on D and stack 8 guys in the box and hope thats enough to stop Perkins while simultaneously praying that Rosen doesn't go off on us.

On offense we need to take advantage of Vanderdoes absence and run away from the side of the ball where Clark lines up....and then hope that Anu has better success throwing vertically down-field this year.

I think the primary reason that Mora has had RRods number is the style of play each coach employs. Mora plays smash mouth football (with better mouth smashers than we have) while RRod goes with more of a finesse type game. Also, our defensive scheme isn't optimal for stopping UCLA. The 3-3-5 was invented to counter the spread offense.........not to stop a smash mouth running scheme. I pray that Casteel finally shows the flexibility and creativity to get outside his comfort zone in the event that UCLA is able to run over the inevitable 8 men in the box I believe we will have to employ. If 8 are not enough then I would hope Casteel/RRod would at least try to employ a true 4-3 defense (with 4 actual lineman,not a LB lined up over an OT) to stop Perkins.

One definition of insanity is to keep repeating what you are doing (when its not working) and expect different results.

Bear Down
You might be the only person who would call UCLA smashmouth. They do play a power style football, but I wouldnt go quite that far.

If you stack 8 in the box, you guys will lose. You guys will need to get to Rosen with a guy or two less otherwise the short dink and dunk game will kill you. We never line up in a power formation unless it's on the goal line. You'd have one guy open on the outside.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

MrBug708 wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Bear Down
You might be the only person who would call UCLA smashmouth. They do play a power style football, but I wouldnt go quite that far.

If you stack 8 in the box, you guys will lose. You guys will need to get to Rosen with a guy or two less otherwise the short dink and dunk game will kill you. We never line up in a power formation unless it's on the goal line. You'd have one guy open on the outside.
I'll grant you that UCLA is not Stanford "smash mouth" but they are a power team. Mora lines up the biggest boys he can find and plays meat and potatoes football (try to run over me).

If we stick to 6 undersized guys in the box against Perkins we will likely get slaughtered. When the other guys have better players (particulary lineman) one has to gamble a little and cheat to overcome that weakness.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I think we've lucked out with our DT''s under Mora and their ability. Not too many programs sport DT's like Vanderdoes and Clark. Both were in danger of going pro, at least we get Eddie V back next year, facepaint and all :)
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Jack brings versatility, but on defense, I'd argue Kenny Clark right now
You guys are unbelievable. Name another player that requires two different players to replace him? Jack as a LB can cover a slot WR - please name another LB who does that? The slot WR for Arizona is a big deal and is almost always open because of the mismatch with either a safety or a LB covering them. Ucla could leave Jack in regardless of the situation and now, if Anu gets in rhythm and doesn't allow for Ucla to sub, we will have a mismatch out there. Nobody but Jack is able to do that - thus the importance of him to Ucla and the importance to Arizona that he's not out there. It's not even close but by all means keep throwing out other names like it is????
Truth be told I'm more worried about UCLA's D-line than I am their linebackers. Not that the LBs are pedestrian or anything, but their linemen were swarming the backfield and making life miserable for Anu and the RBs. It doesn't really matter who is covering the slot if Solomon doesn't have the time to throw.

That said, Solomon's not hobbled by a bad wheel this time around (UCLA is where that injury showed up last year) and RR knows how to scheme for a tough defense. If they can give Solomon just a bit more time then I feel good about this one.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:Last time we didnt have Jack, we ran up 60 on you guys. But by all means, tell UCLA fans who they should and should not want. If we lose Kenny Clark, we replace him with a trio of Ankou, Dickerson, and JTM, each who do different thing, depending on the scheme. But hey, an Arizona fan would know more about our team. We already lost Vanderdoes at DT. Not many teams can replace two NFL DT's if they were lost to injury. So far we've lost one NFL caliber LBer.

I (We) understand Jack's value to the team. Maybe Bruins01 would disagree and thinks Jack is the most important player. I watch every game. I know what he brings and what he doesnt bring. But by all means, continuing commenting for us like it is???

We have a position called a mini-backer. We used it three years ago. We still recruit players for the spot. Myles Jack is a loss and is hard to replace. That doesn't mean we also don't have other defensive players that are harder to replace. But you think it's not even close. Maybe you watch more UCLA football than I do. I don't know.
How about the fact that Scott was knocked out of the game early and his backup was Denker? Not having Jack that game had zero to do with the outcome. Arizona had just beaten SC and wasn't ready for the buzz saw (and black face paint) that was waiting for them.

I would even venture that if Mora was asked the same question his first answer would be Jack as well. Keep in mind I'm talking this game only - not the rest of the season - just this game.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azpenguin wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Truth be told I'm more worried about UCLA's D-line than I am their linebackers. Not that the LBs are pedestrian or anything, but their linemen were swarming the backfield and making life miserable for Anu and the RBs. It doesn't really matter who is covering the slot if Solomon doesn't have the time to throw.

That said, Solomon's not hobbled by a bad wheel this time around (UCLA is where that injury showed up last year) and RR knows how to scheme for a tough defense. If they can give Solomon just a bit more time then I feel good about this one.
If his slot guys are covered like they were LY then Anu is in trouble. It's why Anu was 18-48. Phillips caught one pass for 16 yards and Grant caught 2 passes for 14 yards. Griffey and Jones along with Richards on the outside caught 4,4, and 2 passes respectively. Austin Hill who also lined up in the slot a lot had one catch LY.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Awesome.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Recruits who will be there:

Free article from Rivals: https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/c ... ID=1806754
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

If his slot guys are covered like they were LY then Anu is in trouble. It's why Anu was 18-48. Phillips caught one pass for 16 yards and Grant caught 2 passes for 14 yards. Griffey and Jones along with Richards on the outside caught 4,4, and 2 passes respectively. Austin Hill who also lined up in the slot a lot had one catch LY.
They did a good job of covering the slot but they did an even better job of getting pressure. It was relentless the entire game. When the QB is running for his life all night and doing that most of the game on a bad wheel, that's gonna cause some incompletions. The pressure also made it impossible to get a run game going. Figure out a way to run the ball against the front seven and the QB pressure solves itself. Again, I think RR has a solid plan for dealing with this; all that needs to happen is the guys need to execute early and make UCLA's D play honest. Once you get to that point it's Katy bar the door.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:Recruits who will be there:

Free article from Rivals: https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/c ... ID=1806754
Great game for those clowns up north to have high level recruits attend. SC will curb stomp berco early & often. Should leave a very positive impression especially when over 1/2 of that stadium bounces by the 3rd quarter.

I like it!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azpenguin wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

They did a good job of covering the slot but they did an even better job of getting pressure. It was relentless the entire game. When the QB is running for his life all night and doing that most of the game on a bad wheel, that's gonna cause some incompletions. The pressure also made it impossible to get a run game going. Figure out a way to run the ball against the front seven and the QB pressure solves itself. Again, I think RR has a solid plan for dealing with this; all that needs to happen is the guys need to execute early and make UCLA's D play honest. Once you get to that point it's Katy bar the door.
This. I love reading posts by people who know what the fuck they are talking about. Thank you.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

AZ 32-24
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

Everyone is saying Mazzone's game plan is to run run run on arizona. BS. first ucla play of the game will be play action bomb pass down the middle complete for 50 yards. Maybe the Second play but guarantee it gets called early. Our secondary is always sleeping on those plays early...
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Play action...ha. maybe zone read. Two of our first three games have been a straight bomb dropped by Kenneth Walker
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

MrBug708 wrote:Play action...ha. maybe zone read. Two of our first three games have been a straight bomb dropped by Kenneth Walker
well if he drops it this game it will hurt especially bad for you guys because there probably won't be another defender withing 10 yards of him. I just don't get how we can let guys get so open in the beginning of games and then tighten it up later...maybe thats casteel's strategy, lull the opponent into a false sense of security by allowing wide open receivers in the first quarter.
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Folesfor10K wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Play action...ha. maybe zone read. Two of our first three games have been a straight bomb dropped by Kenneth Walker
well if he drops it this game it will hurt especially bad for you guys because there probably won't be another defender withing 10 yards of him. I just don't get how we can let guys get so open in the beginning of games and then tighten it up later...maybe thats casteel's strategy, lull the opponent into a false sense of security by allowing wide open receivers in the first quarter.
This. Its almost become an open joke amongst the guys I go to games with. I think there was a stretch last year between Colorado, USC, Cal, and one or two other teams where we either let up a 50+ yard td reception or rush in the first 1 or 2 plays of the game.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Line at 2.5. People starting to believe with their money