Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:Chief

You were 100% right about this team and game and many owe you an apology

I have always thought DC should go to Uasports.net. He would fit in better with those guys. Here people typically take more of an objective view of Arizona football.

Thanks NC. I have always called Casteel out and always will. I don't think that he is a good DC....sometimes he has flashes of brilliance, other times...average....but when he is mediocre, it's pathetic. RR is a good coach and better than Mora IMO, but this shows you about what talent AND depth can do. The gimmicks all get exposed and you're left with your pants down. Arizona has to do better with its recruiting and talent evaluation across the board. It's great to find the diamonds in the rough every now and again but it's easier to find the diamonds in the diamond mines. I know this is only one game, but I have said from day one that RRs anchor to his sailing ship is Casteel. If Arizona had an above average defense, with a powerful DL and better recruiting, it could contend with the top teams year in and year out. It's year 4 and their is no depth and their are walk ons playing. This game against Stanford is bigger than big. It's crucial.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

azpenguin wrote:Have to give UCLA a lot of credit. They owned the line of scrimmage when they had the ball and gave Rosen a ton of time to throw. Give anyone that much time and they'll kill you through the air.

The maddening thing is that Arizona could have easily put themselves into position to win the game. UCLA's first 4 touchdown drives combined for 141 yards. The PF on the first TD forced AZ to kick from the 20 yard line and set up a big kick return for the Bruins. Mistake, short field, touchdown. Then Arizona gets a bad snap to cough it up again. Mistake, very short field, touchdown. Then they allow a big punt return. Mistake, short field, touchdown. Then another unforced fumble. Mistake, short field, touchdown. That's four short fields on four drives. And that wasn't the end of it. Randall throws a pick and kills a promising drive and UCLA drives for a TD off of it. Missed chip shot FG at the end of the half. Missed XP in the next half. Bad snap and a holding penalty turns first and goal at the 4 into third and goal from the 30, turning what should have been an easy TD into a FG. Turnover on downs at the UCLA 12 in the 4th. There's at least 14 points that were left on the field and UCLA was given far too good field position far too many times. UCLA took advantage of their chances.

Welp, time for them to regroup and go on to the next one. We'll see if Solomon is OK to go this week. If he is, I actually feel pretty good about this one.
excellent points -- that was just plain sloppy football, and we never gave ourselves a chance to win. but so many mistakes were elementary, meat & potatoes type stuff like snapping the ball, wrapping up the runner on tackles, hitting xps, making smart reads [randall], falling on fumbled balls... fundamental skills that any div 1 football player without kansas on their jersey should have mastered by now. were our guys too distracted by the week's big game hype? nerves? the heat? it boggles the mind the way our offense was barely able to snap to the qb in shotgun with any consistency until the last few minutes of the game.

sucks that RR didn't get his win vs. ucla, but there's still plenty of season left, and i'm hoping all the foot-shooting we witnessed was an anomaly. i also hope anu is okay - what's the latest word on him?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

They had an 11 game road streak going into last night
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

shimdic wrote:The corner was not turned, sigh.
I want this phrase to DIAF.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Nobody knew we were gonna play such sloppy fucking football on offense, totally unforced errors and very uncharacteristic. UCLA deserved it, they did dominate the trenches. But our offense should have kept us in the game by a. Not gift wrapping UCLA points and b. Matching UCLA score for score because we didn't have much trouble moving the ball when we held on to it. Was a pathetic showing no doubt, but it was more flukey than any major indictment on RR IMO. Our offense drives this team, not the D, we all knew this going in. UCLA is a damn good team, they took advantage as they should. Props to them.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just wanted to add special teams also deserved probably a lower grade. Missed chip shot FG, missed PAT, 2 very long kickoff returns allowed and so on.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2572 ... highlights

Arizona Wildcats Game Grades
Positional Unit 1st-Half Grade Final Grade
Pass Offense C D
Run Offense B+ A-
Pass Defense D+ D
Run Defense C- D
Special Teams B- C-
Coaching C C-

illcat

Post by illcat »

FUCLA exposed this Arizona team for what it really is. That is a mediocre team not ready for prime time. SORRY but that is the way I see it. I knew this game was going to show one thing. That the Cats are rounding the corner or they're still only pretenders and not really contenders
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

All this game exposed was that we mess up in the spotlight. Unforced errors and sloppiness that normally doesn't happen doesn't mean that were awful...just that we choke in the spotlight. Still think this team can go like 9-4
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

dirtbags wrote:
azpenguin wrote:Have to give UCLA a lot of credit. They owned the line of scrimmage when they had the ball and gave Rosen a ton of time to throw. Give anyone that much time and they'll kill you through the air.

The maddening thing is that Arizona could have easily put themselves into position to win the game. UCLA's first 4 touchdown drives combined for 141 yards. The PF on the first TD forced AZ to kick from the 20 yard line and set up a big kick return for the Bruins. Mistake, short field, touchdown. Then Arizona gets a bad snap to cough it up again. Mistake, very short field, touchdown. Then they allow a big punt return. Mistake, short field, touchdown. Then another unforced fumble. Mistake, short field, touchdown. That's four short fields on four drives. And that wasn't the end of it. Randall throws a pick and kills a promising drive and UCLA drives for a TD off of it. Missed chip shot FG at the end of the half. Missed XP in the next half. Bad snap and a holding penalty turns first and goal at the 4 into third and goal from the 30, turning what should have been an easy TD into a FG. Turnover on downs at the UCLA 12 in the 4th. There's at least 14 points that were left on the field and UCLA was given far too good field position far too many times. UCLA took advantage of their chances.

Welp, time for them to regroup and go on to the next one. We'll see if Solomon is OK to go this week. If he is, I actually feel pretty good about this one.
excellent points -- that was just plain sloppy football, and we never gave ourselves a chance to win. but so many mistakes were elementary, meat & potatoes type stuff like snapping the ball, wrapping up the runner on tackles, hitting xps, making smart reads [randall], falling on fumbled balls... fundamental skills that any div 1 football player without kansas on their jersey should have mastered by now. were our guys too distracted by the week's big game hype? nerves? the heat? it boggles the mind the way our offense was barely able to snap to the qb in shotgun with any consistency until the last few minutes of the game.

sucks that RR didn't get his win vs. ucla, but there's still plenty of season left, and i'm hoping all the foot-shooting we witnessed was an anomaly. i also hope anu is okay - what's the latest word on him?
The failure at fundamentals was so complete and team-wide, the unforced errors were so numerous and consistent, that it makes me wonder if the coaches took the week off. Sorry RR, you and your staff are not looking real good right now.
illcat

Post by illcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:All this game exposed was that we mess up in the spotlight. Unforced errors and sloppiness that normally doesn't happen doesn't mean that were awful...just that we choke in the spotlight. Still think this team can go like 9-4
Hope you're right, but I still think this team has a few problems that need to be addressed. ST, both pass and run D. Glaring mistakes on the O. Again hope your right on 9-4 but I think 8-5 is more like it.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

UCLA WR Jordan Payton has had 2 big games against AZ last 2 years (over 100 receiving, TD's in each). Told Sportscenter loves to play against AZ. Hard to hear...

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/video/cl ... api_public
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Good Teams becoming Great teams so hard to do. Not many do it. AZ is a good team. They won the South. Great means rise up in Conference champ games, New Years day bowl and rivals at home on national TV.

Sloppy, uncharacteristic sure. But Great teams build consistency, don't get nervous enough to make sloppy plays (snaps), There's enough evidence starting from end of last season that there are depth issues.

Situation was prime for AZ to beat UCLA. GameDay, home, excitement level etc. All there. Except the better team won. Can never prove, but I'm convinced if AZ and UCLA played each other 5 times this year, UCLA would win 4 of 5. Just a better team, better talent depth wise. UCLA lost key defensive starters, they have depth at more positions and they have a true freshman QB in his first road game.

UCLA dominated. overcame their issues. UCLA defense not all that impressive either. But they had enough weapons (depth/ level) both sides of the ball to dominate. Season results will tell, but there is a good chance AZ not progressing as well as some other teams in their division. Unfortunately, AZ to get to Rose Bowl they would need to.

AZ had a head start this year over other South teams. They won the South. Has/had a perfect wave to ride to launch off that success. Had all that exposure in doing so. Cats recognized for being a Ducks killer. But recruiting also matters. It does.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
shimdic

Post by shimdic »

CalStateTempe wrote:

Sorry! I thought somebody would have posted it before me because surely people were thinking it. Every year I want the team to be amazing, but then reality sets in and the team is just okay.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

shimdic wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Sorry! I thought somebody would have posted it before me because surely people were thinking it. Every year I want the team to be amazing, but then reality sets in and the team is just okay.
No worry shim, that wasn't directed personally to you. I saw a few mention that phrase earlier this week wrt the upcoming game.

Just how many times have we uttered it over the past 8 years, myself included, only to see it NEVER come true.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I remember saying it after the USC game in 2009 and last year after the ASU game and both times we turned the corner right off a cliff to nowhere

This was another one of those games though I thought we would win and then lost against Stanford

I am just never getting excited about an Arizona football game ever again
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I'm actually over it.

We sucked, we stank it up again in a big game.

We have one lose, more will probably come this season. I'm ok with that. Not going to let it ruin my night or weekend.

Better man then I am. Sending my remaining tickets back to GB and telling him I will not be spending my money on such a shitty product. Started in 68 and it ended tonight.

Great run. Appreciate the south title last year. Life complete I guess. Will still buy tickets to support the dept. If you need one, let me know.
By no means is this a drunken rant. UCLA will play in the finsl four and I wish them well. Just we are what we are.
Sleep on it my man.
We slept on it, over at a Best Western at Orange Grove and Oracle. Had to leave by 11:30 a.m.

First game in person in the Rich Rod era. First game in person with wife, much less kids. I don't think the game experience could've gone worse, and the postgame experience been more frustrating and difficult, had I been at an ASU game. I texted azcat49 mostly just about the game, so I'm sure I was no help in restoring his optimism, but I wasn't happy, my kids weren't happy, and my wife, I think, had resolved by halftime never to return to Arizona Stadium again.

Oh, it all started great. Got into Tucson by 11 a.m. Saturday, spent over $100 on red caps, shirts, and a little cheerleading outfit for my girl at the Tucson Mall A Store. Lunch at Eegee's--everyone loved the pizza fries--then drove to campus and parked at Main Gate garage. This was to prove more than a little confusing to find coming back that night. More on that later.

Walked down Tyndall into the U. I pointed out my old haunts and the Old Main--it's almost impossible to picture Louie's Lower Level now, where my parents first met, as different as the Memorial Union is--on a leisurely walk through the library to McKale. Hot day, but enjoyable so far.

Was told at McKale that my print-at-home tickets weren't redeemable--they were just scanned at the gate. Cool. Asked about water fountains or restrooms anywhere nearby, because my kids were dehydrated. McKale Ticket Office rep said that we could go up the ramp to use the bathrooms on the main concourse.

Son stopped on the way there to ask if we could enter sweepstakes for an autographed football. While there, got into a chat with the rep, who thought daughter was cute. Mentioned I used to work in McKale and wanted to make sure it was OK if we went up the ramp to use the restrooms. He said no. I told him that's what the McKale Ticket Office rep said we could do. He said McKale was closed for business and that we needed to find somewhere else.

So now you have my email address and phone number and, in return, have told my family to go find water somewhere else. Really nice. Never mind that McKale has always had a concourse door unlocked for the public on game day with nary an issue for the last 40 years.

But things seemed to have recovered nicely when we walked past the RJ gym and ran into the fans with the teddy bears on chains. They got my son to punch the Bruin. Fun.

We then went over to the AT&T Fan Zone and saw Dana Cooper interviewing Antonio Pierce for a few. Brought wife up to speed by saying Antonio played with Kelly Ripa's co-host.

Then went over to Red Army tailgate. Found azcat49 and Dosia right before Wildcat Walk. No joke, the bus carrying Rich Rod pulled up right in front of my son and he didn't even know who was getting out until wife screamed, "Those are the players!"

So I'm thinking this day was on its way to being one of the great ones, but wife and son wanted to find somewhere to sit down and get a drink. Since the stadium was about to open, I said sure and grabbed a Diet Coke and a water at the tailgate.

"Why are you stealing my water?" a woman asked. Turns out it was Heather, who helps run Red Army tailgate, and she was not smiling.

Keep in my mind my son had just grabbed his own water out of the cooler and nobody had said a word. I've been going to U of A tailgates for over 30 years and had never been asked such a question.

I explained who I was and even said I was with azcat49 and Dosia. Finally, she smiles and says, "I'm just giving you shit. It's a hot day--go ahead."

So after apparently having to explain why I'm a thirsty Arizona fan, I guess we're cool. We get over to Gate 2, but nope--if you have a SEZ ticket, you can't go under the east stands anymore through to the Sixth Street sidewalk, you have to walk around. Starting to wilt a bit, but OK.

So we go all the way to the back of the line halfway down the street at Gate 9, and we're at security check. Apparently now that includes a purse search, because my wife got hers searched to the point where the security guard asked to search her wallet.

It was bad enough she had to throw out the water bottles we had just picked up at the tailgate and dump the rest of the water out of her bottle (but can still take it in the stadium?!?!?), but now a person's WALLET is a security risk?

There's no love lost between me and Tucson game security. Since I started going to football games there in '84, 50/50 shot you have to deal with an asshole, and the odds were never in our favor last night.

"It's for your own protection," the guard said, pawing through our credit cards and cash. Just when I'm about to opine we only need protection from lousy security guards like her, she lets us in and we're able to find our seats.

Have to take my daughter to the South End Zone bathroom before kickoff. Man, has that not changed, and I just pray my daughter doesn't ask me someday, "Dad, why did you take me to that room to see all those guys peeing out of their wee-wees?" Love those low urinals!

But we find our seats, stadium slowly fills up, then all of a sudden everyone wants to cram in five minutes before kickoff. It was all handled as if nobody expected a sellout, with fat guy, old wife and clueless-looking son going "plop" and taking all but about 10 inches of my seat.

"Season ticket holders" at the end of the row tell me to show them their tickets, even though we got there nearly an hour before them. I told them that we were in seats 28-30 and that I didn't need to show them any more than that.

So they call security to complain that we weren't in the right seats. I miss most of our first touchdown drive because I can't sit down--and, to top it all off, I'm screaming at this idiot at the end of my row "28! 29! 30! Clear enough for you now?"

Willie the security guard asks for everyone in the row to show their tickets. I do.

"So, sit down," he says. I point at the 10 inches let of my seat and then look at him, incredulous, and laugh, "You're funny."

"Well, seats are going to be tight tonight," he responds, as if that somehow justifies his handling of what is escalating into a more and more ludicrous situation. Then he begs the rest of the row (none of whose tickets he checks) to move down and make room.

So me, my wife, my son and restless, wriggling 3-year-old daughter are crammed into Arizona Stadium SEZ bleacher space equivalent to three seats. In fact, Willie said each ticket holder got 16 inches of space per seat. Are you kidding me?

With fat guy's giant right thigh snuggling up on one side and my wife struggling to keep wormy daughter between her legs on the other, we settle in to watch another shit-the-bed special under the sideline-to-sideline cameras for Arizona football.

Kids wonder why daddy is so mad when I scream for somebody to tackle and make a snap from center. How can I explain all the ways in which I've seen this implosion under pressure before? Mark Walczak or Cayman Bundage, the names cease to matter anymore.

At halftime, my wife takes daughter to bathroom again. Same security guard who smiled at them on the way down asks, on the way back, "Do you have a ticket to be in the stadium?"

Wife resists the urge to call this one an idiot, shows her papers and makes it back.

Fat guy and brood leave by end of third quarter. "We're out of here, brother. Spread your wings." Yeah, why don't you buy two seats so I don't have to?

My wife already has more medical issues than anybody should have to live with, she's suffocating in a stadium which no longer has a cool breeze for relief, and not one apology from anyone.

It was different when it was just me, or me with my Dad. I can live with a certain level of discomfort most of a game, but if it's too much for them, it's too much, period, as far as I'm concerned.

Finally, the shitshow mercifully ends and we leave to go back to our parking garage. We walk past two carloads of students wearing Wildcat red screaming f-bombs at each other about the meaningless Cincinnati Bengals game the next day. Loudmouth coed sees our kids walking by and screams to guy in car on Sixth Street, "What about that score, fucking bitch?!"

I had to check their colors to make sure these weren't Sun Devil fans. What has happened to "We're Arizona. We're better than this?"

Apparently we're not anymore. We get into what we think is the Main Gate garage, search up and down and can't find the car. I have to leave the family on Level 4 while I go find it. I ask a fan if this is the Main Gate garage. First he says, "Yeah." Then he says, "Oh, wait, no. This is the Tyndall Garage. Main Gate's up by the Marriott."

Neither of these garages existed IIRC the last time I was in Tucson for Oregon in '09. But I find the car. Drive back, pick them up, dodge the suicidal moron doing 70 down Euclid south of University with no lights on in his/her car at all, grab a late dinner up on Oracle and Orange Grove, get the kids in the Best Western nearby before they can see the four college girls dressed like high-class hookers in the parking lot below and catch a few Z's.

And so it went Sunday. Crap drivers almost running me off the road two more times, wife getting the stink-eye from people cutting her off in the Costco, counter jockey at the Circle K whining like a little bitch, "I'm just telling you, man!" after I tell him we're not going to pay for the extra large plastic size drink, that I just need four Polar Pops.

Wife just doesn't like what she experienced of Tucson, and I can't say I blame her. She won't go back. It's more than just about a game, it's about a family experience, and the one we had once the game started Saturday night was awful.

God forbid that experience is typical for families of recruits, because if it is, you won't see upgrades in our football recruiting anytime soon.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tough day/night G.

Interesting that we had 32 first downs(rushing for over 300 yards ) which was 9 more than UCLA. Only gave up 1 sack. I thought our OLine held up pretty good which might be a good indicator against the mid level teams coming up after Furd.

Last year Anu was 18-48 and last night he was 4-10 and Randall was 4-18 for a combined 8-28. I think it points out that we have really been dominated on the perimeter by UCLA.

No such excuses for our defense who gives up yardage in chunks and can't get off the field on third downs. We let UCLA scorebon 6 straight drives and we have been blown outbin 2 of our last 3 losses and in the other, we had a pathetic first half defensive performance.

If Anu is healthy, I think we will be fine this week. In fact I think we will be OK the rest of the year. Of course we will have to outscore people but maybe this loss will develope the circle the wagons and its us agsinst the world.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Man- Sorry you had such a bad experience. I was going back and forth between going to the game or not but then UAEebs86 hooked me up with some tickets and I brought my 8 year old along. We had a blast, even with the blowout. It was great to meet another face behind a name here.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

catgrad97;

Are you a victim professionally or do you just do it in your spare time?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Sage&Silver wrote:catgrad97;

Are you a victim professionally or do you just do it in your spare time?
Don't like the message, slam the messenger right?

Sage&Silver, I welcome you to say that to my wife's face and see the response you get. You'd get off lightly with just a "Fuck you" from me.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azcat - you can send me all your extra tickets, this season and future seasons. DM me and we can exchange info.

catgrad - Been going to games regularly for 6 years with my son who is now 11 and many times with my my family and I have NEVER had any of the problems you had. I always park in the 6th ave garage, hit a tailgate with old friends and they push food and drink at me, use the bathrooms near tennis courts because I hate port-a-potties, and I use those preinstalled cushioned seats so no one can take my space. The security and ticket takers have always been nice and courteous. I couldn't imagine going through all that and I hope you give the AZ stadium experience another chance. With your permission, I'll send your write up to some folks with the AD who are very interested in the feedback. I think that it does take a few times to get a good system down so pls don't give up.

bug & scummy dick - I just think it is bad form to post in an opposing teams forum but I guess if you are all old buddies I may be wrong. I just think it is kind of, well sad.... It is not that I don't like to hear opposing views but I can find those anywhere.

That game sucked. As I mentioned before, my mind knew there was a reason UCLA was favored and I knew we would need some "magic" to win it, but in my heart,I felt there was a chance. The unforced errors were truly disappointing. We've lost 3 straight "big" games. BSU, Oregon, and now UCLA. Oh well. I have tickets to the Stanford game and I am truly worried about going 0-2 in the p12 and how that might snowball into a bad season. The injuries could compound. It will be a true test to see how we "bounce back." I will use all my season tickets, but damn, I really have to consider how much time I invest in this team if things get worse. I'll always be a fan but I have to consider my health and my sanity.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Old buddies? I have no idea who he is
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Welp, guess we should just give up on the season, they're gonna be lucky to win another game. Might as well send the third stringers to Palo Alto so they can get some experience. Hey, this town needs to get behind this team, oh, they lost another big game, maybe we all should think about not supporting them so much because they're never gonna be a great team.

The panic and doom and gloom around here after a loss is pretty funny.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Yeah I think it's going overboard. I didn't think we'd win, but I thought we would keep it respectable. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. However, its one game, and I was already over it on the way home laughing at USC dismantling ASU in their own stadium. I came in right at the time they fumbled for a 99 yd td, then their moron kick returner ran out to the 4 yd line, looked lost, then fumbled it at the 3. I mean hey, our team looked bad, but ASU looked downright terrible.

Side note, catgrad, I'm sorry you had such a terrible time at the game. I've had season tickets for years and can't say I've ever had nearly that bad an experience at a game. My worst was in my old seats in the upper deck when USC brought their band and some dipshit kept egging them on, so they played their fight song nonstop the whole game. I hope eventually you'll give it another shot. As for college students acting like asses and some of the females wearing what they wear, I wouldn't expect that to change, nor would I expect it to be any different at any other campus of a major university.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

cg97,
I think a lot of your frustrations were from your unfamiliarity with things that have changed over the years in Tucson and at the stadium.

I believe there is a number you can text with any stadium issues. Byrne has mentioned it many times.

I would have just moved, there were still some empty blocks of tickets. Lots of seats were available up in Section 17-you could have joined me and ALieberman!

The gate to enter has always been printed on the tickets. My son and I have learned our way around the stadium so that no matter where we end up we can get to any other section.

I went to Casa Molina 25 years ago and it was terrible. Back then La Parilla Suiza was good, but no more. We have a whole thread about restaurants in Tucson, what's good and bad. Or use Yelp, Trip Advisor, Google reviews. My family has been having good restaurant experiences by checking those first.

As for the obnoxious students, they seem to be more prevalent these days (saw plenty at GameDay) but I thought that was just me being an old man. "Get off my lawn!" :)

Better luck next time. Hate to see a fellow Unit 4 and UofA alum not come back.

Eebs
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

A few pointers for the next time you head down.

1) With a family, don't sit in the South End Zone. I'd say West side or the new sections are your best bet.

2) For facilities, the swim and dive center is usually unlocked. One of my favorite places for that experience on campus. Science & Engineering Library is a great spot as well.

3) FWIW I think that Marriott garage has been there since at least 2004 when I visited campus as a HS senior. Based on how much changed I've seen since I graduated, I can't imagine how you felt.

Bear Down
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Your parents first met at Louie's Lower Level?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah the main gate and tyndall garages have both been there since 2002-2003

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

What an embarrassment. Just a total clusterfuck by our guys.

What needs be corrected:

!. TAckling, Tackling, TACKLING! I still thing Casteel is a very good DC, but no scheme works if nobody tackles for shit. Absolutely the worst tackling performance by any RR team that I've seen. I always thought tackling was great under Rich Rod. Just don't know what happened with our guys this time. Looked like one of the Stoops defenses or the way Tomey's guys performed against Penn State. Maybe not enough intensity in practices because we're too nervous about injuries in a no bye season.

2. Bundage is a great lineman but was thrown into an unfamiliar situation this year. I think he'll suck it up and get much better at snapping the ball.

3. Special teams. One of Larry Smith's strong points and, I believe one of Rich Rod's very few weak points. Smith's special teams had their own nick name "Raiders" and took a lot of pride in their abilities, as a unit, to make a difference. Our ST needs to get an identity. Skowron is still a very good kicker and will win several games for us.

4. Randall just can't hit targets well and has no touch. This offense will change quite a bit if he's handed the reins.

5. Not a good performance by our DB's, but I see these guys improving quite a bit as the season progresses. Unlike some others here, I believe our DB's are very good athletes and can keep up with anybody. Just need to mature a bit more.

We're not done guys. I believe our boys will suck it up and perform much better as the season progresses. We have a chance to beat Stanford and I think we'll be a different team from here on out.

Bear down.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

MrMeow wrote:Your parents first met at Louie's Lower Level?
Mine did at well, in 1968.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

wait, is LLL not there anymore? why is catgrad97 talking about louie's in the past tense? :(

unrelated: bruins fan trolls espn college gameday - nicely done.
https://instagram.com/p/8HmU7SABKv/
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

I dont think the sky is falling after one game. For some reason, UCLA just has Arizona's number, much like for some reason Arizona always plays Oregon (minus the conference championship game). I expected a win because I thought Arizona was there. After having to step back from everything, i have to remind myself of a few things. Arizona was probably 1 or 2 years ahead of schedule when it came to last year. They had everything bounce their way (expect USC) and still won some tough games. Scooby being back was big, but he isnt in game shape and has to learn to trust that knee, he didnt look full speed. They are missing some huge play makers like bondo, that guy was highly underrated for what casteel needed. Also, i think the loss is just as much about Arizona shitting themselves as UCLA wins. I hate to sound like old Toad, but Arizona didnt give Arizona a chance to win with craptastic snaps, weird play calling and general mistakes.

What sucks is having depth issues in year 4..its no longer about stoops and more about the eye for the talent. I wish Cobb and Ware had panned out like they should have, and not having Tabor here still pisses me off. And Casteel and company need to figure out what they need to just make this defense servicable. Arizona simply needs a top 35 defense and it can win most of its games. For now on, im just going to know that UCLA has Arizona's number. And I bet Arizona wins at Stanford this year. Hogan plays lights out agains USC and UCLA, other schools he seems to regress to what he is.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

carcassdragger wrote:5. Not a good performance by our DB's, but I see these guys improving quite a bit as the season progresses. Unlike some others here, I believe our DB's are very good athletes and can keep up with anybody. Just need to mature a bit more.
This is correct, however, I do have to point out that UCLA's O-line is ridiculously good and it's incredibly hard for anyone to get to the QB against them. Bruno's sack at the start of the second half was the first sack all year on UCLA. If you give a QB that much time to throw, forget it. You can't expect DBs to cover very well much past five seconds, no matter how good they are.
uacat540 wrote:Scooby being back was big, but he isnt in game shape and has to learn to trust that knee, he didnt look full speed.
Mostly good points, but I will say that Scooby does trust the knee and he thinks that knee is actually stronger than the other now. It's just a matter of being in game shape and that'll come.
uacat540 wrote:not having Tabor here still pisses me off.
Just suspended for refusing to take a drug test. Also busted for possession last year. After this suspension he blasted the school on Twitter (he took it down shortly after.) He's a hell of a talent but maybe more headache than it's worth for RR.
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

I may need to spend more time here if that's the truth
Newportcat wrote:Chief

You were 100% right about this team and game and many owe you an apology

I have always thought DC should go to Uasports.net. He would fit in better with those guys. Here people typically take more of an objective view of Arizona football.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Arizona Offense and Defense just at the opposite ends of the FBS ranking spectrum. Not sure if lopsided emphasis in recruit targeting for offense or evaluation or ??. Sure normal, but couple of current Defense starters converted offense recruits and put on defense to get more athletes/skill there and won positions over recruits solely recruited for Defense.

Looking back since 2012 RR's 1st season, The offense categories consistently highly ranked in FBS (Except RZ Offense TY so far. AZ ranked 92nd in RZ offense. 92nd! Has been top 50 previous RR years through first four games).

For grins, just comparing Defensive stats through 1st four games of each of the last 4 seasons, the Defensive rankings seem to be starting/heading in the wrong direction. With less Stoops recruits, the Defense really not improving statistically at all. This includes a fairly easy OOC and at times playing a ranked team(s) in the first four games. Not apples to apples but...

Thru 4 games each RR year - Defense FBS rankings:

2015 Played 1 ranked team UCLA
RZ Defense - 115th
Sacks 51st
Turnovers 57th
Rush Defense 65th
Scoring Defense 90th (30.3 pts/game)
Total Defense 93rd (424 yds/game)

RZ Defense - 95th
Sacks 54th
Turnovers 84th
Rush Defense 53rd
Scoring Defense 83rd (27.3 pts/game)
Total Defense 94th (430.5 yds/game)

2013 Played 1 ranked team UDUB
RZ Defense - 78th
Sacks 83rd
Turnovers 29th
Rush Defense 57th
Scoring Defense 12th (14.3 pts/game)
Total Defense 29th (335 yds/game)

2012 Played 2 ranked teams OkState Oregon
RZ Defense - Unavailable
Sacks 110th
Turnovers 58th
Rush Defense 73rd
Scoring Defense 73rd (26 pts/game)
Total Defense 79th (410.75 yds/game)

Was striking to compare 2012 RR's 1st season through 4 games with really none of his recruits to current. Also played 2 ranked teams 1st four in 2012. I'm not sure you can call current so far gradual improvement.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dirtbags wrote:wait, is LLL not there anymore? why is catgrad97 talking about louie's in the past tense? :(
Hasn't been there for a long time now.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Cg97 security checks women's wallets all the time. See it at UA and Cards games all the time.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dirtbags wrote:wait, is LLL not there anymore? why is catgrad97 talking about louie's in the past tense? :(

unrelated: bruins fan trolls espn college gameday - nicely done.
https://instagram.com/p/8HmU7SABKv/
Hasn't been there since 2000/2001

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Is DC alive? Hope all is ok..
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:Is DC alive? Hope all is ok..
I have enacted the suicide watch on him. He is off the map. No fan, writer or football guy should ever live in denial and look at a team with rose colored glasses. It just leads to heartbreak and tears. Be honest with yourself first and everyone else second.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Fuck your act is getting annoying... even for me chief.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

scumdevils86 wrote:Fuck your act is getting annoying... even for me chief.

There's no act my man. I've straight shot from day one. You don't see that? Should I sugar coat it or play Homer BS?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:
I have enacted the suicide watch on him. He is off the map. No fan, writer or football guy should ever live in denial and look at a team with rose colored glasses. It just leads to heartbreak and tears. Be honest with yourself first and everyone else second.
Wow, Chief your condensation is a bit desperate, don't you think. LMAO!!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

chiefzona wrote:
Gave me a good chuckle when I read that earlier Bug, but now I'm starting to wonder . . . Come on D.C., we're here for you buddy. Even your sparring partner is looking out for you.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I love DC. He's a good dude and he and I are good. What's more desperate than I is what Arizona staff is pulling. No one should be swigging Kool Aid at this point and there should be nothing but question marks. If you aren't doing that, you aren't being honest with yourself.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I love DC. He's a good dude and he and I are good. What's more desperate than I is what Arizona staff is pulling. No one should be swigging Kool Aid at this point and there should be nothing but question marks. If you aren't doing that, you aren't being honest with yourself.
I get that, the game was very underwhelming but, any objective person would know handing a better team on paper, points via turnovers is a death nail. As a fan, I'm constantly tempering my hope as a fan, with a dose of a reality, but I'm convinced that both factions way over react when results go the way they think.
Pretty sure most anyone, would say Az would need to play a very clean, well executed game to compete in this game, let alone not losing Anu. Didn't happen. You can draw some pretty dramatic and in my opinion drastic conclusions based on one game; see our last two wins against Mariotta led Duck teams. Those games the Cats executed pretty flawlessly. But, I'd say if that's working out for you, stick with it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

DC is just fine and Chief needs to give it a rest. He wasn't yapping when we went 10-2 last year. Let the season play out and we can measure things better.

Every team in America other than a few can say they need to recruit better. Only part I agree with is Casteel and that idiotic 3-3-5 but RR is loyal to a fault and we know when we lose it Is usually ugly because our offense just doesn't execute
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:DC is must fine and Chief needs to give it a rest. He wasn't yapping when we went 10-2 last year. Let the season play out and we can measure things better.

Every team in America other than a few can say they need to recruit better. Only part I agree with is Casteel and that idiotic 3-3-5 but RR is loyal to a fault and we know when we lose it Is usually ugly because our offense just doesn't execute

I'll definitely give it a rest. I've always been yapping. Just not on here. The other board is a trainwreck right now and many are threatening to leave. See, denial does no one any favors.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You know Chief, balance can be your friend. I had no idea you were a RR hater. Our program has plenty of flaws no doubt, but it also has had the BEST 3 year run in its HISTORY. You can argue anything you want, but results are hard to ignore