QB derby

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azpenguin

Re: QB derby

Post by azpenguin »

Different standards these days. Imagine if we'd have had a crop of QBs like this in the past. We'd have been ecstatic. Whoever wins the starting job, we'll be fine.
jollything

Post by jollything »

Merkin wrote:
jollything wrote:
What I remember hearing is that Anu isn't very vocal in the huddle. I want him to win the job, but the more I hear the less I think it will happen.

I guess we will all find out once fall ball starts on Saturday.

Why is that? Is he intimidated by the upperclassmen or ??? He was probably pretty vocal in HS but really don't know. Highlight reels don't go into that detail.

Wasn't BJ vocal in the huddle but somewhat disliked by his teammates?

Anu seems the slowest according to 40 times, and recorded a hand timed 5.1 in the spring camp.

It had been said by the guys at scout and rivals that he was a real laid back guy and that didn't help with his presence in the huddle. Maybe they translate quiet to a lack of confidence I don't know.
DT4U

Post by DT4U »

azpenguin wrote:Different standards these days. Imagine if we'd have had a crop of QBs like this in the past. We'd have been ecstatic. Whoever wins the starting job, we'll be fine.

really good point. Since WT, NF, and MS the bar has risen to the point BJ felt like a let down despite the really great #s and 8 wins. I think the floor has definitely been raised.
Bear Down
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

jollything wrote:
Merkin wrote:
jollything wrote:
What I remember hearing is that Anu isn't very vocal in the huddle. I want him to win the job, but the more I hear the less I think it will happen.

I guess we will all find out once fall ball starts on Saturday.

Why is that? Is he intimidated by the upperclassmen or ??? He was probably pretty vocal in HS but really don't know. Highlight reels don't go into that detail.

Anu seems the slowest according to 40 times, and recorded a hand timed 5.1 in the spring camp.

It had been said by the guys at scout and rivals that he was a real laid back guy and that didn't help with his presence in the huddle. Maybe they translate quiet to a lack of confidence I don't know.
Same was said about Foles.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
jollything wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Same was said about Foles.
Buzz Bissinger does not approve.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Berk with RR on the QBs.

http://tucson.com/sports/baseball/colle ... c295e.html

Not a whole lot about this year's battle, except RR was not to happy with the progress the QBs made during the summer and let the assistant coaches take 3 weeks off.

More on the QB recruits since Shea bailed.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

TuiTouchdown wrote: Same was said about Foles.
It was said guys on the team didn't like Foles?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

We have the luxury of having one of the most gifted quarterback depth charts in the country. As it has been said, whoever Rich Rod rolls with, we should be fine. My own personal feeling, I think it will come down to Scroggins or Randall. Overall, I feel this team even without Carey, has the capability to be better. I just can't wait for football to happen. It's been way too long, and it's been too long since I've posted too.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Merkin wrote:Berk with RR on the QBs.

http://tucson.com/sports/baseball/colle ... c295e.html

Not a whole lot about this year's battle, except RR was not to happy with the progress the QBs made during the summer and let the assistant coaches take 3 weeks off.

More on the QB recruits since Shea bailed.
I didn't get that RR is unhappy with the QB's at all.
“I can’t judge where the quarterbacks are at, but as far as in the weight room and running and condition-wise, when we got to see them in June, I was pretty impressed with where they were at,” Rodriguez said. “I think we’re further ahead (of last year) because of the competition at the position. They know if they slack off in the summer, when camp starts, they’ll be behind the 8 ball.

“So I think our guys have worked harder because of the competition.”
RR was upset about Denker last year.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Zona_Soccer10 wrote:We have the luxury of having one of the most gifted quarterback depth charts in the country.
Erroneous. Not even in top half of the PAC when comparing "gifted" QB depth, though to be fair, the PAC is LOADED with QB talent. RR is, and always will be, the game changer for the UA offense.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

I read a quote last year that I thought was telling "Denker acted like he was Johnny Manziel but didn't play like him"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Zona_Soccer10 wrote:We have the luxury of having one of the most gifted quarterback depth charts in the country.
Erroneous. Not even in top half of the PAC when comparing "gifted" QB depth, though to be fair, the PAC is LOADED with QB talent. RR is, and always will be, the game changer for the UA offense.

Maybe gifted coming out of high school, all 4 QBs were Rivals 4 stars. However Scroggins and Randall could not complete 50% of their passes against JC competition, Brewer fell to 3rd on the UT depth chart, and Solomon could not beat out the weakest armed UA QB since Chuck Levy. To soon to tell for Solomon, but the other 3 have definitely underachieved so far.

But RR took noodle armed Denker and made him into a record setting UA QB. No UA QB ever ran for more years during a game or in a season, and his interception rate was pretty low.
jollything

Post by jollything »

Dkenner wrote:I read a quote last year that I thought was telling "Denker acted like he was Johnny Manziel but didn't play like him"
Someone in the Athletic dept. who works in a minor role with the basketball team told me this "He needs a big ass slice of humble pie". So yeah I can see that about him.
jollything

Post by jollything »

Merkin wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:

Maybe gifted coming out of high school, all 4 QBs were Rivals 4 stars. However Scroggins and Randall could not complete 50% of their passes against JC competition, Brewer fell to 3rd on the UT depth chart, and Solomon could not beat out the weakest armed UA QB since Chuck Levy. To soon to tell for Solomon, but the other 3 have definitely underachieved so far.

But RR took noodle armed Denker and made him into a record setting UA QB. No UA QB ever ran for more years during a game or in a season, and his interception rate was pretty low.

I kind of want to go back and watch all the games last season. Just to see how Denker grew as the year progressed. IIRC he had a rocky first half of the season.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

I guess I'll start defending Denker on this site as well.

What made this kid a Division 1 football player was his relentless drive. There is no way he ever could have been the starting QB at Arizona without it. Are there some negatives that come with having that kind of chip on your shoulder? Of course! But what RR was able to do with a guy who did not receive a single scholarship offer from anyone at any level of college football is a testament both to RR's ability to develop an offense around his QB and Denker's unbelievable drive. Without that "chip", no way the Cats get to 8 wins last year.

Everyone likes talking about the Washington game. You mean, the one with torrential rains all game long where it was hard to even hang onto the ball? Yeah, BJ stunk. No excuse for his poor performance. :roll:

Denker was the best option last year and he started from day one. This is in line with Tomey's teams, where he filled the roster with pretty ordinary players who would not back down to anybody. They were diamonds in the rough. Denker? More like a diamond in the forest! Name five guys in the last 3 decades at Arizona who did more with less than BJ.

The ongoing criticism of Denker, a Wildcat through and through, is mind-boggling. Want to criticize anyone, then criticize the coaches. They put him out there. Or, if what we're doing is nit-picking former and current players, why does Denker receive 98% of the criticism? Truly a mystery to me. Oh well, carry on!

Go Cats!!
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

jollything wrote:I kind of want to go back and watch all the games last season. Just to see how Denker grew as the year progressed. IIRC he had a rocky first half of the season.
I've probably never been as pissed off/frustrated with any one single player for any of the teams I follow, as I was with Denker in that rainy Washington game. That was the worst QB play I've ever seen in my life (with the horrible Skelton/Hall/Anderson Cardinals years not far behind). He did right the ship though, ended up having a respectable year so gotta give him that.

Re: his arrogance, wasn't his twitter handle VanillaVick? I'd say that's pretty cocky/douchey.

Edit: just saw Catstatic's post - I'm definitely not trying to pile on, I get he's a young guy and worked hard. I don't hold any grudges or hate the dude or anything like that. Just calling a spade a spade, rain be damned he was dreadful that day. I'm sure he's played football in the rain before. But you're right, there is no point for calling him out in the washington game, but thats what this board is for 99% of the time, pointless drivel!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pokinmik wrote: I've probably never been as pissed off/frustrated with any one single player for any of the teams I follow, as I was with Denker in that rainy Washington game. That was the worst QB play I've ever seen in my life!

You didn't watch Matt Scott vs. ASU? Matt had all the tools too, unlike Denker.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

You guys should go bump the Denker'd thread over at silvestrefelem.com, er . . . I mean TOS because that's where a tired dead debate belongs, on a tired dead site.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.ph ... 7d&page=91
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Merkin wrote:
pokinmik wrote: I've probably never been as pissed off/frustrated with any one single player for any of the teams I follow, as I was with Denker in that rainy Washington game. That was the worst QB play I've ever seen in my life!

You didn't watch Matt Scott vs. ASU? Matt had all the tools too, unlike Denker.
To be fair, I didn't exclamate 'life' haha. But yea I'm sure there are a few examples I left out, hyperbole at its finest. That ASU game definitely hurt worse, I probably subconsciously blacked it out from my mind, and I only remember Scott pissing it away late in the 4th. Whereas Denker couldn't do anything whatsoever the entire game. It might as well have been me playing QB versus Washington.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

BearDown89 wrote:You guys should go bump the Denker'd thread over at silvestrefelem.com, er . . . I mean TOS because that's where a tired dead debate belongs, on a tired dead site.

Nobody is debating anything. But you will have your wish from me I'm done talking about Denker.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pokinmik wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:You guys should go bump the Denker'd thread over at silvestrefelem.com, er . . . I mean TOS because that's where a tired dead debate belongs, on a tired dead site.

Nobody is debating anything. But you will have your wish from me I'm done talking about Denker.

Hey, it is the off season, what are we suppose to talk about? RR is completely cryptic about the current QB situation, although he has a very good idea who the guy is going to be. What did he say the other day? Something like "I don't know who it is going to be, but I do know who it is, but I don't know".
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Catstatic wrote:Name five guys in the last 3 decades at Arizona who did more with less than BJ.
Can't tell, is this a dig at Denker's natural talents/abilities or is it a dig at his fellow teammates?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

jollything

Post by jollything »

Catstatic wrote:I guess I'll start defending Denker on this site as well.

What made this kid a Division 1 football player was his relentless drive. There is no way he ever could have been the starting QB at Arizona without it. Are there some negatives that come with having that kind of chip on your shoulder? Of course! But what RR was able to do with a guy who did not receive a single scholarship offer from anyone at any level of college football is a testament both to RR's ability to develop an offense around his QB and Denker's unbelievable drive. Without that "chip", no way the Cats get to 8 wins last year.

Everyone likes talking about the Washington game. You mean, the one with torrential rains all game long where it was hard to even hang onto the ball? Yeah, BJ stunk. No excuse for his poor performance. :roll:

Denker was the best option last year and he started from day one. This is in line with Tomey's teams, where he filled the roster with pretty ordinary players who would not back down to anybody. They were diamonds in the rough. Denker? More like a diamond in the forest! Name five guys in the last 3 decades at Arizona who did more with less than BJ.

The ongoing criticism of Denker, a Wildcat through and through, is mind-boggling. Want to criticize anyone, then criticize the coaches. They put him out there. Or, if what we're doing is nit-picking former and current players, why does Denker receive 98% of the criticism? Truly a mystery to me. Oh well, carry on!

Go Cats!!
We are bored it's the offseason and we are on a football message board. People complained about Scott the same way they will complain about Solomon/ Randall/ Scroggins/ Brewer if they aren't performing. The QB position is front and center for the world to see, especially in this offense. He got us to 8 wins and I won't fault him for that, but he also had opportunities to be better.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azpenguin wrote:Different standards these days. Imagine if we'd have had a crop of QBs like this in the past. We'd have been ecstatic. Whoever wins the starting job, we'll be fine.
Will we have one of those defenses, too? More important to have a really good QB under today's circumstances.
Right where I want to be.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

Catstatic wrote:I guess I'll start defending Denker on this site as well.

Go Cats!!
So it wasn't raining for their QB?

I had a buddy who played pro ball give Denker a little lecture in Dirtbags because he was hammered on a Thursday before the UCLA game. He was the cockiest kid in the world who had absolutely zero reason to be. It would be like Flavor Flav going around acting like Kanye West or something.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Denker was a piece of crap. His shit talking was legendary.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

boat343 wrote: So it wasn't raining for their QB?

It was. Price threw for about 40 yards more than Denker in one of his worst games too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

46 more yards in 10 less attempts

Price 2 TDs, 1 pic.
BJ no TDs, 2 pics.

Nice addition on the box score btw. 35 + 1 = ???

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

So the 3rd year senior starter had a better day than the JC kid seeing his first real competition?

Thanks for pointing that out.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

boat343 wrote:
Catstatic wrote:It would be like Flavor Flav going around acting like Kanye West or something.
I'll take Flavor Flav personally - at least he knows he's a clown. :-)

Can't believe people are still ragging on Denker. Let it go guys.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I find it interesting that the beat writers and Hansen think it will be Randall at the helm.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sage&Silver wrote:So the 3rd year senior starter had a better day than the JC kid seeing his first real competition?

Thanks for pointing that out.
I also said that the worst UA QB performance I ever saw was by a 5th year senior in the Territorial Cup. This UA QB was a 4 star and the 5th rated in the nation at his position and had offers from Michigan, Oregon and so on.

I was just saying Denker had a bad game, worse than Price's. We all know BJ had no offers out of HS, not even Div III.

I also acknowledged that BJ set several UA records, most rushing yards by a UA QB in a game and for a season. Props dude!
azcat49 wrote:I find it interesting that the beat writers and Hansen think it will be Randall at the helm.

They certainly know more about football than I ever will, but Randall was pretty awful in JC, I think he only completed 43% of his passes and had more interceptions than TDs. Maybe his receivers were terrible. :)
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I find it interesting that the beat writers and Hansen think it will be Randall at the helm.

They certainly know more about football than I ever will, but Randall was pretty awful in JC, I think he only completed 43% of his passes and had more interceptions than TDs. Maybe his receivers were terrible. :)
Or his coaches or the system or whatever else could go wrong when a guy bounces from LSU to a JC (or USC to a JC in Jesse's case). We've seen what RR and Rod Smith can do with lesser talent. Those two are quite a team and appear to be pretty good at what they do. I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm up for whoever they put out there be it Randall, Scroggins or Solomon . . . should be exciting.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BearDown89 wrote:Those two are quite a team and appear to be pretty good at what they do. I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm up for whoever they put out there be it Randall, Scroggins or Solomon . . . should be exciting.
Yep, I haven't been this interested in a QB race since the Keith Smith/Ortege Jenkins two headed monster. Smith and OJ combined for the best season in UA history, but we can only conjecture what might have happened if Smith had it all to himself.

I am hoping to see all 3/4 in the early games to see what they can do, then let RR pick the guy and let the other 3 fight over mop up duty. No need to worry about burning redshirts since all 4 have used theirs up.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Berk's QB observations: This is somewhat encouraging:
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

And then there's this:
RCWildcat

Post by RCWildcat »

Basel Gladiators Unseat Calanda Broncos and Win First Swiss Bowl

This was the seventh final for Basel in the 28 years of the Swiss League and their first title. Nothing could be sweeter for Dwaine Wood and his team.
The Basel Gladiators have established themselves as the new American Football powerhouse in Switzerland, handing five-time defending champion and former Euro Bowl champion Calanda Broncos a 47-35 defeat in the 2014 Swiss Bowl. This was Dwaine Wood’s and Basel’s first championship after many years of hard work. The Gladiators have acted as spoils for Calanda for the past four years and this victory was sweet for the team that has been battling to reach football supremacy in Switzerland.

Basel jumped out to 20-0 lead in the first quarter as Basel quarterback BJ Denker efficiently moved his club down the field on their first two drives. He threw a 38 yard touchdown pass to Rene Fink to open the scoring, then on their next possession took off on his own for a 60 yard score. Then the Gladiators picked up a Broncos fumble at the Calanda 15 and Denker hit Alex Riekeles for the touchdown to give Basel a 20-0 lead. Calanda quarterback Cedric Townsend, who had previously struggled, finally found a rhythm and caught the Gladiators napping hitting Adrian Sündenhauf for a 47-yard touchdown.

Basel responded as Denker engineers a 10 play, 80-yard drive, with Corey Stollmeyer capping it with a four yard run for the touchdown making it 27-7 Basel still in the second quarter. Both teams find the end zone one more time and the half ends 33-14 Basel.............
http://www.americanfootballinternationa ... wiss-bowl/

The guy is a winner, goes after his dreams even when told he isnt good enough, and most of all....He helped the Wildcats win!
An Athlete that is a great role model!

Cant wait to see this years QB Competition winner

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

RCWildcat wrote:Image

This was the seventh final for Basel in the 28 years of the Swiss League and their first title. Nothing could be sweeter for Dwaine Wood and his team.
The Basel Gladiators have established themselves as the new American Football powerhouse in Switzerland, handing five-time defending champion and former Euro Bowl champion Calanda Broncos a 47-35 defeat in the 2014 Swiss Bowl. This was Dwaine Wood’s and Basel’s first championship after many years of hard work. The Gladiators have acted as spoils for Calanda for the past four years and this victory was sweet for the team that has been battling to reach football supremacy in Switzerland.

Basel jumped out to 20-0 lead in the first quarter as Basel quarterback BJ Denker efficiently moved his club down the field on their first two drives. He threw a 38 yard touchdown pass to Rene Fink to open the scoring, then on their next possession took off on his own for a 60 yard score. Then the Gladiators picked up a Broncos fumble at the Calanda 15 and Denker hit Alex Riekeles for the touchdown to give Basel a 20-0 lead. Calanda quarterback Cedric Townsend, who had previously struggled, finally found a rhythm and caught the Gladiators napping hitting Adrian Sündenhauf for a 47-yard touchdown.

Basel responded as Denker engineers a 10 play, 80-yard drive, with Corey Stollmeyer capping it with a four yard run for the touchdown making it 27-7 Basel still in the second quarter. Both teams find the end zone one more time and the half ends 33-14 Basel.............
I didn't know whether this article was for real. The Swiss have a 28-year-old American football league? Then I knew it was a hoax.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Isn't even on Basels online roster.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

CalStateTempe wrote:Isn't even on Basels online roster.
Their original starting QB got injured. They added BJ late in the season after seeing his resume' on a football player website. They called him out of the blue and he helped them win a championship. Also, summers in Switzerland are unbelievably gorgeous. A great way to spend your first summer after graduation.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Based on photos from practice, one thing is certain.....Randall did not spend his summer sitting on the couch eating Cheetos and playing Madden. Dude looks chiseled.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Have you ever tried chasing your own balls? Sounds like a job for a dog.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Sounds like (Rich Rod presser) we won't have an effective quarterback until we get some decent receivers.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

looks like Anu just took the lead in the QB race
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ANGCatFan wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Isn't even on Basels online roster.
Their original starting QB got injured. They added BJ late in the season after seeing his resume' on a football player website. They called him out of the blue and he helped them win a championship. Also, summers in Switzerland are unbelievably gorgeous. A great way to spend your first summer after graduation.
It's been a crap summer this year.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote: Same was said about Foles.
It was said guys on the team didn't like Foles?
No...not at all. He just wasn't fiery. Wasn't a "practice" player, either. Dykes used to tell people who bugged him about why Foles wasn't starting over Scott "if you saw him practice, you'd know why."

But Foles was a gamer.

Same thing happened at Philly. He doesn't appear to be exuding a ton of effort, and he improves as the stakes increase. As it turns out, that is a pretty awesome kind of player to have. But no one could tell from practice. His high school records were written off as system. Even Ed Orgeron at Ole Miss kept Foles, who was his if he wanted him, on the back burner for too long because he didn't think Nick was special. When he started panicking for a QB in that class, Nick was already set with ASU. (Source: book "Meat Market")
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

boat343 wrote:. He was the cockiest kid in the world who had absolutely zero reason to be.
Sounds like goddam near every drunk D1 athlete I have ever met. King of the world. And those are the reserves.

A few exceptions. But c'mon...players are cocky. And sometimes funny in the way they are. I expect them to be, and it has always caused me to pause when I met one who was humble, like real humble, not like "I'm humble."

As for drinking on a Thursday? Beats getting high on a Saturday gameday on the way to McKale. And some of those guys were on #1 teams. And cocky
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

EVCat wrote:
boat343 wrote:. He was the cockiest kid in the world who had absolutely zero reason to be.
Sounds like goddam near every drunk D1 athlete I have ever met. King of the world. And those are the reserves.

A few exceptions. But c'mon...players are cocky. And sometimes funny in the way they are. I expect them to be, and it has always caused me to pause when I met one who was humble, like real humble, not like "I'm humble."

As for drinking on a Thursday? Beats getting high on a Saturday gameday on the way to McKale. And some of those guys were on #1 teams. And cocky
I get what you are saying, but there were SEVERAL in & around the program who shared boat's opinion of BJ. And these are people who are very fond of many, many players on the team (including several "stars")... all of whom are cocky (to your point).

He was the antithesis of Foles is nearly every way...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BearDown89 wrote:
RCWildcat wrote:Image

I didn't know whether this article was for real. The Swiss have a 28-year-old American football league? Then I knew it was a hoax.
I'd put money that the 38 yard TD pass only spent about 10-15 yards in the air and the rest was YAC.

I respect BJ did a lot with limited physical tools, but I'm really, really looking forward to a year when the D can't basically put 11 within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage b/c our QB can't hit a pass longer than that.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Here's hoping it's Solomon. This offense doesn't need a guy with a rocket for an arm. If that's all he has it means the ball may sail on him during pressure situations, which is the one thing the team doesn't need. Easy INT's for opposing safeties. That would absolutely kill this offense and team.

What the offense needs is a guy who makes quick decisions, knows where the ball needs to go and gets it there at the right time. With our playmakers, especially our receivers, RR's offense will then be unstoppable.

I think Anu is the guy.

Go Cats!!