2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by UAEebs86 »

N'Keal Harry was at our game today.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Any USC commits that we would have a shot with?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

OSUCat wrote:Any USC commits that we would have a shot with?
I have no idea, but the decommits are starting already:
-JB
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Maybe the staff should give a call to Mique Juarez or Caleb Kelley explaining that they could be the missing piece that the defense needs.
Besides, Arizona offers a comparable education to USC if not better depending on what their major will be.

https://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1807643" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Kelly is going to Oklahoma or Michigan.

Juarez isn't leaving socal
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Footballjunkie wrote:Maybe the staff should give a call to Mique Juarez or Caleb Kelley explaining that they could be the missing piece that the defense needs.
Besides, Arizona offers a comparable education to USC if not better depending on what their major will be.

https://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1807643" target="_blank
I love your loyalty, but that is a tough sell.

Good news is that am not sure that education matters that much to many of the top prospects out there; they expect to get their degree in FB. Unfortunately we have disadvantages in that area, too.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Frank Martin had us high on his list, maybe #2. If he decommits we could have the best OLine class in the conference
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I dont think he has a true #2 and I dont think he goes anywhere but USC
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Probably correct as they should all wait to see who the trojans hire. I am sure it will be a good one this time LOL.

Mora would have no interest in the them bug would he?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not sure if anyone noticed but rivals ranks us #2 behind Ole Miss at the committed RB spot. Third is Ohio St. That is pretty cool
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote:Probably correct as they should all wait to see who the trojans hire. I am sure it will be a good one this time LOL.

Mora would have no interest in the them bug would he?
I'd hope so
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
He's a legacy!

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Saw Anthony Fotu is suspended for the year. One thing that I think everyone can agree on is how absolutely terrible Rich Rod and his staff have been at JUCO recruiting. To me, JUCO recruiting has got to be a part of Arizona recruiting as we have gotten great players over the years from the JUCO ranks. Gurrola is the only I can think of outside of maybe Magliore this year who has contributed at all, heck even played that we recruited from JUCO ranks. Timmy Hamilton from last year lasted like 2 days in camp, Morin hasn't done anything, and Cruikshank I think is red-shirting which is pathetic given the lack of depth we have at CB. The year before those guys are all pretty much worthless outside of Worthy. JUCO recruiting can be a crap shoot but we need to do a much better job at it.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Newportcat wrote:Saw Anthony Fotu is suspended for the year. One thing that I think everyone can agree on is how absolutely terrible Rich Rod and his staff have been at JUCO recruiting. To me, JUCO recruiting has got to be a part of Arizona recruiting as we have gotten great players over the years from the JUCO ranks. Gurrola is the only I can think of outside of maybe Magliore this year who has contributed at all, heck even played that we recruited from JUCO ranks. Timmy Hamilton from last year lasted like 2 days in camp, Morin hasn't done anything, and Cruikshank I think is red-shirting which is pathetic given the lack of depth we have at CB. The year before those guys are all pretty much worthless outside of Worthy. JUCO recruiting can be a crap shoot but we need to do a much better job at it.
Recruiting in itself is a crapshoot. But I wouldn't dismiss it. You mention a few guys in Worthy, Magliore, and Gurrola, but don't forget Randall either. And Magliore has another year. If Cruikshank is red shirting then it's too early to judge. Frankly I'd be worried if our starting roster was filled up with too many Juco guys.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think Rich Rod didnt focus on JUCO recruiting enough his first 2 years here then starting getting more JUCO recruits but most havent panned out at all. I am very hopeful Josh Allen is a stud DE for us and London provides good depth and ability to start in the secondary. But this year and going forward I would hope we would improve our JUCO recruiting. I think we should get that MLB from Riverside, AJ Hutchins this year as we need all the LB depth we can get. Hopefully get another JUCO DB and DL as just seems like we are lacking depth there.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RichRod didn't focus so much on JUCO his first two years here because he needed to build a roster, not just plug and play and hope the future takes care of itself. ASU is a the common comparison point used around here when it comes to JUCO. In 2013, Graham won the south but he did it with 30 JC/transfer guys on the roster. Arizona had 15 that year. Arizona looks much better going forward as a result. Next year ASU has nothing but a question mark at QB (Berco has taken all but a couple of snaps this year, and the only other QB to play is Manny Wilkins, who has 2 rushes on the stat sheet and nothing else. This year's roster is Berco and four freshmen) and two WR threats coming back. Arizona spent that time developing QBs and WRs. Also, some scrubs named Scooby, Turituri, and Ippolito who might be pretty good... but are now out.

LB is tough because it's the deepest position on the roster (there's 20 LBs on the roster, more than any other position group.) Any team that loses its top three linebackers will be in trouble defensively. The coaches have worked hard to build that position up. Next year they should have at least two of those guys back, and we'll see if Scooby goes pro (I'm 50/50 on that, if he'd played all year I'd figure 100% gone). Jake Matthews will be back and he's improving rapidly. John Kenny will be off his transfer year. We'll see if Ware can make noise - remember, everyone is clamoring for 4 and 5 stars and they signed the Cobb/Ware combo - because you've got to remember he's only a RS Freshman and still has a lot of time to contribute. Miller has been banged up his entire career but he looks good.

I'll grant that CB has been a position of concern (experience matters and there ain't a lot there, but that's changing as the young guys play and learn) but the position I'm least worried about is DL. The horses are there. The position I worry the most about going forward is safety. If you're looking for a future concern to possibly be addressed through JUCO, that's it.

Going JUCO is as much of a crapshoot as recruiting high schoolers. If they pan out, you've done great, but if not, you've hit a double whammy. JC guys take up roster spots that can be used on younger guys, and that costs you in development. If they pan out you get production but you may sacrifice future production from underclassmen. If they don't pan out, then you wasted a roster spot and you also lose development. When you look at what ASU has coming back next year vs. Arizona, those 15 extra roster spots they used on JC guys a couple of years ago looms large.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

azpenguin wrote:RichRod didn't focus so much on JUCO his first two years here because he needed to build a roster, not just plug and play and hope the future takes care of itself. ASU is a the common comparison point used around here when it comes to JUCO. In 2013, Graham won the south but he did it with 30 JC/transfer guys on the roster. Arizona had 15 that year. Arizona looks much better going forward as a result. Next year ASU has nothing but a question mark at QB (Berco has taken all but a couple of snaps this year, and the only other QB to play is Manny Wilkins, who has 2 rushes on the stat sheet and nothing else. This year's roster is Berco and four freshmen) and two WR threats coming back. Arizona spent that time developing QBs and WRs. Also, some scrubs named Scooby, Turituri, and Ippolito who might be pretty good... but are now out.

LB is tough because it's the deepest position on the roster (there's 20 LBs on the roster, more than any other position group.) Any team that loses its top three linebackers will be in trouble defensively. The coaches have worked hard to build that position up. Next year they should have at least two of those guys back, and we'll see if Scooby goes pro (I'm 50/50 on that, if he'd played all year I'd figure 100% gone). Jake Matthews will be back and he's improving rapidly. John Kenny will be off his transfer year. We'll see if Ware can make noise - remember, everyone is clamoring for 4 and 5 stars and they signed the Cobb/Ware combo - because you've got to remember he's only a RS Freshman and still has a lot of time to contribute. Miller has been banged up his entire career but he looks good.

I'll grant that CB has been a position of concern (experience matters and there ain't a lot there, but that's changing as the young guys play and learn) but the position I'm least worried about is DL. The horses are there. The position I worry the most about going forward is safety. If you're looking for a future concern to possibly be addressed through JUCO, that's it.

Going JUCO is as much of a crapshoot as recruiting high schoolers. If they pan out, you've done great, but if not, you've hit a double whammy. JC guys take up roster spots that can be used on younger guys, and that costs you in development. If they pan out you get production but you may sacrifice future production from underclassmen. If they don't pan out, then you wasted a roster spot and you also lose development. When you look at what ASU has coming back next year vs. Arizona, those 15 extra roster spots they used on JC guys a couple of years ago looms large.
What does JC recruiting have to do with the QB position at ASU? The reason ASU does not have someone seasoned to take over next year is because they went 2 years ('12/'13) without a QB recruit. They had a commitment from Joshua Dobbs (now starting QB at the University of Tennessee) for the '13 class, but he switched to UT the night before signing day.

If there is anywhere that recruiting JUCO's has bit ASU in the ass, it is at the Devilbacker position. They had two key recruits at the position, (Caldwell and Durant), and neither made it on the field for ASU. They recruited a lot of JUCO's to the DL and LB, but those are actually their deepest position groups and they won't experience any real turbulence as a result of the JUCO's.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What about Bryce Perkins, Brady White, and Manny Wilkins? Wasn't one of those guys supposed to be the next Flake Plummer?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
azpenguin wrote:RichRod didn't focus so much on JUCO his first two years here because he needed to build a roster, not just plug and play and hope the future takes care of itself. ASU is a the common comparison point used around here when it comes to JUCO. In 2013, Graham won the south but he did it with 30 JC/transfer guys on the roster. Arizona had 15 that year. Arizona looks much better going forward as a result. Next year ASU has nothing but a question mark at QB (Berco has taken all but a couple of snaps this year, and the only other QB to play is Manny Wilkins, who has 2 rushes on the stat sheet and nothing else. This year's roster is Berco and four freshmen) and two WR threats coming back. Arizona spent that time developing QBs and WRs. Also, some scrubs named Scooby, Turituri, and Ippolito who might be pretty good... but are now out.

What does JC recruiting have to do with the QB position at ASU? The reason ASU does not have someone seasoned to take over next year is because they went 2 years ('12/'13) without a QB recruit. They had a commitment from Joshua Dobbs (now starting QB at the University of Tennessee) for the '13 class, but he switched to UT the night before signing day.

If there is anywhere that recruiting JUCO's has bit ASU in the ass, it is at the Devilbacker position. They had two key recruits at the position, (Caldwell and Durant), and neither made it on the field for ASU. They recruited a lot of JUCO's to the DL and LB, but those are actually their deepest position groups and they won't experience any real turbulence as a result of the JUCO's.
They used a lot of their available scholarships in Graham's first two years on the JUCO guys, and that affects depth across the roster. Normally you'd want to be deeper at QB and take 1-2 every class, because you need time to develop these guys, find out who pans out, and also prepare for likely transfers as QBs are prone to do. (RichRod didn't take a QB for the '15 class but that was because he had guys on the roster at every experience level... thanks to having the roster spots to develop guys.)

Take a look at another skill position - WR. ASU doesn't have much of their current production coming back at all next year. Between QB and WR, it will be up to Ballage and Richard to carry that offense next year. (Those guys are potent, no doubt, but that's a tall order.) Next year Graham should be relying on the guys he took in his first two classes but the huge number of JUCOs ate up a lot of scholarships.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

Dang I hope NKEAL wants to go to school with his girlfriend!

http://www.azcentral.com/videos/sports/ ... /74469146/
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

What position are we recruiting Stovall at? I think he has said he wants to play offense, but we sure could use some help in our secondary.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

gronk4heisman wrote:What position are we recruiting Stovall at? I think he has said he wants to play offense, but we sure could use some help in our secondary.

One of the reasons Stovall said he decommitted from USC was he thought USC was open to him playing RB and Slot. USC wanted mainly at RB only.

Stovall competed at the Opening and played RB, CB and WR there. He's been clear he "wants" to play both sides of the ball (I know it's not HS). But that has been his comments.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Folesfor10K wrote:Dang I hope NKEAL wants to go to school with his girlfriend!

Murphy is going to A&M. Though, these "package deals" rarely come to fruition.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

yeah a while ago when I found out his uncle was mike bibby I thought...hey he probably grew up a wildcat watching his uncle win a national title. Then I did the math and figured he was only a fetus when that happenned lol... :( but on a serious note how the F does aTm get the best arizona players every gd year.... mind boggling.
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
Scummy Dick Douglas

Folesfor10K wrote:

yeah a while ago when I found out his uncle was mike bibby I thought...hey he probably grew up a wildcat watching his uncle win a national title. Then I did the math and figured he was only a fetus when that happenned lol... :( but on a serious note how the F does aTm get the best arizona players every gd year.... mind boggling.
A&M has everything going for it but a winning tradition. Amazing facilities, arguably the best fan base in all of college football (packed stadium and ridiculous booster support), rich recruiting in their backyard, and (though I think its a bit overblown) they play in the SEC West.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

Folesfor10K wrote:

A&M has everything going for it but a winning tradition. Amazing facilities, arguably the best fan base in all of college football (packed stadium and ridiculous booster support), rich recruiting in their backyard, and (though I think its a bit overblown) they play in the SEC West.

And with all those things going for them they should be able to get theirs anywhere they want right? So why arizona? It's ridiculous how easy it is for the "it" school to get our states best every year. ..

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yup. The last ten years Oregon, Stanford, Nebraska and aTm have owned Arizona recruiting
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yup. The last ten years Oregon, Stanford, Nebraska and aTm have owned Arizona recruiting
I was going to bring up Nebraska. Did they get the top talent, or was it just volume? Either way, it's still puzzling. Oregon has everything going for it, Stanford is though to turn down, but Nebraska? It's not like they were competing for Rose Bowls.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Folesfor10K wrote:
Folesfor10K wrote:

And with all those things going for them they should be able to get theirs anywhere they want right? So why arizona? It's ridiculous how easy it is for the "it" school to get our states best every year. ..
They can have Kyle Allen. 12/34 for 88 with a pick. lol. My buddy's were joking that he was on the take. Terribly inaccurate throws.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

catinfl's realistic wishlist:
Terrell Burgess
Lorenzo Burns
Melquise Stovall
Matthew Gutwald (Stanford will be hard to beat if he gets in)

Doing well, but will be hard to get:
N'Keal Harry (Doing well, but will be a challenge and we better hope he doesn't break up with his GF)
Richard Merritt

Let me dream:
Boss Tagoloa
Lamar Jackson
Brandon Burton (UCLA or FSU, but he's still flirting)
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

catinfl wrote:catinfl's realistic wishlist:
Terrell Burgess
Lorenzo Burns
Melquise Stovall

N'Keal Harry (Doing well, but will be a challenge and we better hope he doesn't break up with his GF)
Richard Merritt

Let me dream:
Boss Tagoloa
Lamar Jackson
I'll take them all. It seems odd that we are not in on any quality LB's with our current lack of depth and only one commitment at the position.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I really want Burgess and Burns. Two quality corners with good offers.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Terrell Burgess
Lorenzo Burns
Melquise Stovall

Richard Merritt

Let me dream:
Boss Tagoloa
Lamar Jackson
I'll take them all. It seems odd that we are not in on any quality LB's with our current lack of depth and only one commitment at the position.
There's 20 LBs listed on the roster. By far and away the biggest position group on it. I think they're waiting to see what they have next year with the current freshmen and redshirts, plus Kenny comes off his transfer year. Turituri and Ippolito are back next year as well. One thing that's come out of this current mess is that a lot of the younger guys are getting game experience.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azpenguin wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
Terrell Burgess
Lorenzo Burns
Melquise Stovall

Richard Merritt

Let me dream:
Boss Tagoloa
Lamar Jackson
There's 20 LBs listed on the roster. By far and away the biggest position group on it. I think they're waiting to see what they have next year with the current freshmen and redshirts, plus Kenny comes off his transfer year. Turituri and Ippolito are back next year as well. One thing that's come out of this current mess is that a lot of the younger guys are getting game experience.
How many of those 20 are walk-ons? I would guess at least half.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well, RichRod does say he has the best walk-on program in the nation!
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:Well, RichRod does say he has the best walk-on program in the nation!
That gives me something to believe in.

Winning!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:
Merkin wrote:Well, RichRod does say he has the best walk-on program in the nation!

Winning!
Who is that in your avatar? pardon if it's been asked before.
Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:
Sid wrote:

Winning!
Who is that in your avatar? pardon if it's been asked before.
No idea? The cans on her are freaking fantastic thou & I thought those things were worthy of my avatar.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Has RR ever given a freshman kicker a scholie?

Is Talia Shepard.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Thank you
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Merkin wrote:Has RR ever given a freshman kicker a scholie?

Is Talia Shepard.

Nice is it sad I am more excited about a 5 star kicker the big o titties!!!
Sid

Post by Sid »

3goggles wrote:
Merkin wrote:Has RR ever given a freshman kicker a scholie?

Is Talia Shepard.

Nice is it sad I am more excited about a 5 star kicker the big o titties!!!
Nope. Embrace it all as both are freaking great!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Those look real

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

N'Keal Harry will decide Monday at 1:30
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

catinfl wrote:N'Keal Harry will decide Monday at 1:30
What're our chances?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
catinfl wrote:N'Keal Harry will decide Monday at 1:30
What're our chances?
He's visited a lot recently (but also has a gf at ua so that may be why) idk where he's going, but it wouldn't surprise me if he picked us. It also wouldn't surprise me if he picked Texas A&M or ASU. Kid keeps it close to vest.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

He had 7 TDs last night.....