ChooChooCat

Re: Attendance

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Salty wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
No, not for college. I will buy that for pro sports but still think it is pathetic fair weather, but I will buy it, if fans want a winner at Arizona Stadium they need to do their part instead of driving RR and Byrne away. Michigan had awful years and still sold out all but one or two games with 110k plus seats. Ohio State has been blown out but no decrease in support. Nebraska has had tough times but still have great support. I can go on and on. Fact is that U of A alumni and fans suck in supporting the team and coaches and admins and it very could come to drive them away.

I
If our football attendance is driving Greg Byrne away then someone needs to show him what McKale looks like during basketball season and the revenue that program brings. We're a basketball school and we were that the day Greg Byrne took the job. If that's news to Greg then he took the wrong job.
Can't accomplish everything a good ad want to relying only on basketball revenue
I guess the AD's at North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky should be looking for a new job immediately. Also good ADs can accomplish most of what they want via one strategy...it's called fundraising. You know the thing utilized to raise money for the Lowell-Stevens facility?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Catstatic wrote:But we have had some signature wins. Most notably 2 in a row over Oregon. The blowouts do make you forget those games pretty quick.
Did either of them really mean anything though? One came in a wash away season with Denker as our QB and the other was the first or second conference game of the season last year. When we had a chance to beat Oregon when it truly mattered (Pac-12 championship game) we shit the bed. It's the games that really matter that will get this fanbase on the bandwagon. When Arizona stops shitting the bed in those games then maybe we can have a consistent round of good attendance.
Good coaches that can accomplish that don't want to coach at places with pathetic fair weather fan bases.
Good coaches that can accomplish that usually get fanbases that show up because they win more often than they don't. Unless of course you think schools like TCU and Baylor always had sold out crowds for crap teams. Lord knows why any one would want to coach at Texas right now with the shit fan support they have with the crap product they're currently putting on the field right?
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Even when there were basketball season tickets available why did and does he continue to say the most important thing you can do is have football season tickets.

All the schools you mentioned have better basketball programs and worse football programs except maybe UNC. So let's give up on football? You don't make sense
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Even when there were basketball season tickets available why did and does he continue to say the most important thing you can do is have football season tickets.

All the schools you mentioned have better basketball programs and worse football programs except maybe UNC. So let's give up on football? You don't make sense
UNC has a football program? Who knew?

Football season tickets will pay for the Title IX sports, which is why it's important, and yes any AD should try to hire a coach who puts out a major winning product out on the field to help pay for those programs. With that said we've yet to have a coach who wins big games for us that gets the fanbase fully on board. We sold out for the UCLA game and how did our team respond? It shit the bed. You can't expect fans of any program to want to spend their hard earned money to see their team get their asses handed to them in big games, you just can't.

Also just because you're throwing words into my mouth doesn't mean I don't make sense. It means you're incapable of having a constructive conversation about very basic reasoning.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ok so find a coach who can actually recruit good players here. Thats the answer, always has been always will be. You want good attendance, then produce good results. Stop calling the fans pathetic

Calling out fans is just dumb for Arizona football. Loyalty is earned not given. If our fans suck so bad why do we have by far the best fan support on the west coast for Women's softball. Even though last couple of years haven't been great, still seems like we have great fan support. Oh thats right, because we have a winning tradition and we recruit talented players and the games are fun because we win.

We have BY FAR the best fan support for Men's basketball and if you dont believe go to Vegas for the Pac-12 Tourney..its a joke how much better we are then other schools.

It is ignorant to think fans at U of Arizona are going to blindly support Arizona football when their is no tradition, lack of talented players, and seasons like this.

Fan support did not cause this season, crappy recruiting mixed what is now poor coaching, injuries, and a lack of a bye week did. But in the end Crappy recruiting is always what stops programs from rising up
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Catstatic wrote:But we have had some signature wins. Most notably 2 in a row over Oregon. The blowouts do make you forget those games pretty quick.
Did either of them really mean anything though? One came in a wash away season with Denker as our QB and the other was the first or second conference game of the season last year. When we had a chance to beat Oregon when it truly mattered (Pac-12 championship game) we shit the bed. It's the games that really matter that will get this fanbase on the bandwagon. When Arizona stops shitting the bed in those games then maybe we can have a consistent round of good attendance.
Good coaches that can accomplish that don't want to coach at places with pathetic fair weather fan bases.
Good coaches that can accomplish that usually get fanbases that show up because they win more often than they don't. Unless of course you think schools like TCU and Baylor always had sold out crowds for crap teams. Lord knows why any one would want to coach at Texas right now with the shit fan support they have with the crap product they're currently putting on the field right?
Good and established coaches don't go to schools with no fan support. Name the last one. Patterson and Briles were not established when they got to their current position. You are banking on a coordinator to turn out good. Doesn't happen too often. Mike Stoops was the hottest coordinator at the time and we saw how that went.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:Ok so find a coach who can actually recruit good players here. Thats the answer, always has been always will be. You want good attendance, then produce good results. Stop calling the fans pathetic

Calling out fans is just dumb for Arizona football. Loyalty is earned not given. If our fans suck so bad why do we have by far the best fan support on the west coast for Women's softball. Even though last couple of years haven't been great, still seems like we have great fan support. Oh thats right, because we have a winning tradition and we recruit talented players and the games are fun because we win.

We have BY FAR the best fan support for Men's basketball and if you dont believe go to Vegas for the Pac-12 Tourney..its a joke how much better we are then other schools.

It is ignorant to think fans at U of Arizona are going to blindly support Arizona football when their is no tradition, lack of talented players, and seasons like this.

Fan support did not cause this season, crappy recruiting mixed what is now poor coaching, injuries, and a lack of a bye week did. But in the end Crappy recruiting is always what stops programs from rising up
I go to Vegas every year. Hey I hear you and your sad pathetic reason for not supporting the football program. Just because I undersntand and hear you though does not make it right. With the support of the sports you say further prove why it is so sad our football team gets no support.

Never said games were won or loss by the lack of fan support. I am suggesting that rr potentially leaving and an established coach not wanting to come here are a result of that poor support if it comes to it. Although maybe if more fans and especially students showed up to WSU maybe the online for WSU would not have been able to work as well with each other and more breakdowns in pass rush blocking could have occurred.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Now you're going into the realm of insanity phxcats.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Ok so find a coach who can actually recruit good players here. Thats the answer, always has been always will be. You want good attendance, then produce good results. Stop calling the fans pathetic

I go to Vegas every year. Hey I hear you and your sad pathetic reason for not supporting the football program. Just because I undersntand and hear you though does not make it right. With the support of the sports you say further prove why it is so sad our football team gets no support.

Never said games were won or loss by the lack of fan support. I am suggesting that rr potentially leaving and an established coach not wanting to come here are a result of that poor support if it comes to it. Although maybe if more fans and especially students showed up to WSU maybe the online for WSU would not have been able to work as well with each other and more breakdowns in pass rush blocking could have occurred.
Who do you think Arizona can actually hire as the head coach of its football program exactly? Arguably the best coach we've had in our history only came here because he had to resurrect his own image, because his last stop went so ridiculously poor. Arizona always has been and always will be a program where an up and coming coach or a coach fallen on hard time comes to work their asses off to get to the level that is above Arizona. We are a stepping stone program and barring an alum becoming a hell of a coach or a booster willing to spend Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickens money we will always be that program. Arizona can land an established up and coming coach of a mid-major program. A coach of that nature can build a winner and a huge local following that's for sure, but he has to recruit well and win the games that actually matter. If Arizona wants to hold on to a coach like that (a coach that has never existed in Tucson before) it needs that huge booster or it needs him to fall ridiculously in love with Tucson, Arizona.

What you want (landing an established major coach) is not possible for Arizona and it doesn't matter how many fans fill the stands this year or next year. That's the reality of our situation.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Good and established coaches don't go to schools with no fan support. Name the last one. Patterson and Briles were not established when they got to their current position. You are banking on a coordinator to turn out good. Doesn't happen too often. Mike Stoops was the hottest coordinator at the time and we saw how that went.
Stoops ceiling was a 2nd place conference finish (which would have been 1st in the South, had divisions existed then) that was capped off by an utter embarrassment in a high profile bowl game. Not too dissimilar from last season.

That happened in Year 6; in year 7, we started the year like gangbusters but finished With 5 straight losses, including a bowl game. We did win 4 games in conference.

Rodriguez is a much better coach, who did not need as much OJT... and achieved (arguably) in 3 years comparably to what it took Stoops 6 seasons. [RR also had at least some real contributors / talent in the program when he arrived (Ka'deem, Scott, etc)... The cupboard was not full, but it was better than what Mackovic left.]

Rodriguez was definitely an upgrade from Stoops... but I seriously wonder if that did not simply get us to our program peak more quickly.

In Stoops Years 3-6, we were 19-17 in the conference with one really noteworthy year (T2 conference... Would have been a So Division championship if one existed).

In Rodriguez years 2-5, to go 19-18 (one more game because of conf champ game) we will need to go 6-3 in 2016... Assuming we drop the next 3 (which I expect).

Is that possible? Sure. It is needed to achieve parity with the same 4 year run Stoops had... But on a pace that is accelerated by one season.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Got it PHXCAT

It is all my fault. I need to bear down harder

I need to stop scheduling trips to visit tucson for basketball games and should now schedule them for football games. Even though I never have suited up a day in my life it's my fault we suck

Great logic and I am sorry

We need a rich alum to come buy us ridiculous facilities as that's our only chance. Until then it's all fools gold

I actually give zero credit to UW last night for blasting us but give all the credit to their fans who beared down so hard against us. If not for their fans, we would have won
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

When did I blame any wins and losses on the fans?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:When did I blame any wins and losses on the fans?
Although maybe if more fans and especially students showed up to WSU maybe the online for WSU would not have been able to work as well with each other and more breakdowns in pass rush blocking could have occurred.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:Got it PHXCAT

I need to stop scheduling trips to visit tucson for basketball games and should now schedule them for football games. Even though I never have suited up a day in my life it's my fault we suck

We need a rich alum to come buy us ridiculous facilities as that's our only chance. Until then it's all fools gold

I actually give zero credit to UW last night for blasting us but give all the credit to their fans who beared down so hard against us. If not for their fans, we would have won
All 20,000 of them?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

One problem thats NOT going to go away is the current scheduling of games in the afternoon...........The PAC12 TV contract drives everything ($$$$$$) and thats not going to change. If the PAC12 network wants us to play on a friday in early September at 1pm when its 105F on the field then we will.

The UA may want to seriously consider moving the Zona Zoo to the south end zone. Drop the season ticket holders in the eastern upper deck down to the present student section and then sell their seats for more $$$$$$.

As Michael Corleone said, "Its not personal, its strictly business"
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Got it PHXCAT

All 20,000 of them?
I was being sarcastic as I knew they had a terrible showing on Halloween in bad weather but didn't stop their team at all
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Think I experienced my last UofA football game for the year against ucla. Sorry bills and personal expenses have pulled up this year and basketball is around the corner.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

What is the call for Utah? Game won't end until going on midnight, temp in the low 50s or upper 40s by then. 3 likely losses in a row including blowouts from UW and USC.

I bet paid attendance is near 50k but the actual will be closer to 40k. If we are getting housed by 3 plus td's at half I wouldn't be surprised to see only about 10-15k stick around for the 4th quarter.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Does anyone think that playing in good bowls matters to get good recruits?

If so attendance is extremely important
jimson

Post by jimson »

Attendance is important and a good showing against UCLA would have dramatically improved attendance going forward.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:Attendance is important and a good showing against UCLA would have dramatically improved attendance going forward.
And the poor attendance going forward for Utah and seen for Oregon State and Washington State will hurt recruiting, potential interviews for new staff and bowl selection.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:Attendance is important and a good showing against UCLA would have dramatically improved attendance going forward.
And the poor attendance going forward for Utah and seen for Oregon State and Washington State will hurt recruiting, potential interviews for new staff and bowl selection.
Build.it.and.they.Will.come.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Fans have to do their part if they want a winner in town. A lot easier for a team to build via coaching and recruiting and going to big time bowls when the alumni and fans are behind you through it all not just when the weather is fair.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No program in the history of pro sports or college sports ever has become good because they started out with a big dedicated fan base. Just doesn't work that way and never will. Build it and they will come. Build it and they will come...

jimson

Post by jimson »

PHXCATS wrote:Fans have to do their part if they want a winner in town. A lot easier for a team to build via coaching and recruiting and going to big time bowls when the alumni and fans are behind you through it all not just when the weather is fair.
Well, I'll be there with 3 other people but I'm more forgiving of those who lose enthusiasm after the team gets royally sodomized by every good team we play.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

In the Smith era, there was always hope right up to the day he left. I can't say that now.

Even a struggling team can be saved by a good gameday experience.

If UCLA was any indication, Arizona doesn't even have the latter anymore.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sorry that a bunch of guys aged 18 to 22 tried their hardest and disappointed you so badly. And Please about the game day experience.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

What is it about the defensive effort against Washington tells you, PHXCATS, that this collection of 18- to 22-year-old guys "tried their hardest"?

Thing is, I know why they're not going any harder, and totally understand it. I'm not sure you do.

As for gameday experience, I just responded to you about this in the USC thread, actually. Trying to keep this discussion on a reasonable level, not negative or sarcastic.

People have different perspectives, but you're not going to bring them around to your side by posting like an asshole.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

You said UCLA. Washington I agree was not a good effort and no heart was shown. If it is RR with a foot out the door I get it. Not happy that is is going down but I get it. If it is due to the prior results I hope RR cuts every single one of them.

I can respect a difference of opinion and have done so, you just seem to really be sensitive about your fandom ever or something.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The bad taste in my mouth remaining from the UCLA game had very little to do IMHO with the team's effort, at least physically. They just didn't play smart and folded in another big game, which is Arizona's M.O. and something I'm pretty well numb to at this point.

It's the folding that's happened since I've had a problem with. Dumb play compounded by poor tackling and guys starting to give up.

And yeah, if that's because RichRod has one foot out the door, we both get it.

I fear it is, and it's why Byrne IMHO has got to go young and smaller-school with his next hire--not look for the home run name, because that's just going to get your program used.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bad feeling about tomorrow and the team especially the seniors deserve our support.

Serious question, the Zoo is giving out 5,000'shirts for the blue out tomorrow night, will they give out all their shirts?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yes you turd.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am really very positive about tomorrow. We have played well against Utah over the RR years and I think that continues and I think the zoo shows up well and parties on and give the Seniors a grand send off
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote:I am really very positive about tomorrow. We have played well against Utah over the RR years and I think that continues and I think the zoo shows up well and parties on and give the Seniors a grand send off
There has been a lot of activity on campus the last couple of game, so with the rare occasion of a home FB and BB game, people are getting fired up. Let's hope I'm reading the tea leaves correctly!
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Gave away my tickets, chose to go to a company party. :|
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Attendance could go both ways, I really have no idea how it'll be. Regardless, unless its a tight game I think the student population bails after halftime. By then it'll be ~10:00PM and that's prime drinking hours.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Phxcats is surprisingly quiet about the full student section last night.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The crowd was great last night. It was loud most of the night.... People were on their feet.... And I lost my voice
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The crowd that was there was great. Too many empty seats for my liking to start and lots of regular fans and tons of students left at half. But yesterday was electric, best the stadium was all year for sure.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:The crowd that was there was great. Too many empty seats for my liking to start and lots of regular fans and tons of students left at half. But yesterday was electric, best the stadium was all year for sure.
Interesting since the student section is still full in the highlights of overtime. But continue being wrong by all means.

Machina

Post by Machina »

ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The crowd that was there was great. Too many empty seats for my liking to start and lots of regular fans and tons of students left at half. But yesterday was electric, best the stadium was all year for sure.
Interesting since the student section is still full in the highlights of overtime. But continue being wrong by all means.
Were you at the game? Probably shouldnt talk if you werent. Lot if students left. The outside sections were empty. If you are going by highlights all the students moved in OT to rush the field.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Machina wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Were you at the game? Probably shouldnt talk if you werent. Lot if students left. The outside sections were empty. If you are going by highlights all the students moved in OT to rush the field.
Watched it on tv. Stop being a douche as well. Phxcats is being continuously and constantly proven completely wrong on his stances about how the only thing that matters to program success and winning is unquestioned loyalty by fans. Just shush machina and go get a beer at the Arcadia tavern or something.

jimson

Post by jimson »

Four a 5 loss team on a 3 game losing skid, I thought the fans acquitted themselves well. That's what happens when you actually show some life against USC instead of collapsing by 30 or 40 points.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

jimson wrote:Four a 5 loss team on a 3 game losing skid, I thought the fans acquitted themselves well. That's what happens when you actually show some life against USC instead of collapsing by 30 or 40 points.
Yep. Program produces and the fans reward it. Not the other way around. Build it and they will come.

Machina

Post by Machina »

I love when people on the board make stuff up, continue bad jokes at the expense of helping people and talk about attendance when they were not at the gsme.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Machina wrote:I love when people on the board make stuff up, continue bad jokes at the expense of helping people and talk about attendance when they were not at the gsme.
Didn't make anything up, you deserve to be made fun of, and all you need is eyes looking at a TV screen to see people in the stands. Care to try again?

Machina

Post by Machina »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Machina wrote:I love when people on the board make stuff up, continue bad jokes at the expense of helping people and talk about attendance when they were not at the gsme.
Didn't make anything up, you deserve to be made fun of, and all you need is eyes looking at a TV screen to see people in the stands. Care to try again?
Lots of students and other fans left and everyone at the game knows it. I deserve to be made fun of for helping underprivileged kids go to U of A? And PHX never said the things you said PHX did about attendance
Machina

Post by Machina »

Just remember it was you who people were asking others about how to ignore you
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Machina wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Lots of students and other fans left and everyone at the game knows it. I deserve to be made fun of for helping underprivileged kids go to U of A? And PHX never said the things you said PHX did about attendance
Yeah he did. His whole thesis is that good programs only come from fans supporting them and making them good through solely just their support. And you should be made fun of for being a colossal whining little girl for years and years on these boards. You brought all that onto yourself bud.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Who has ever made fun of you for that?

But way to bring up your selfless altruism on a college fan sports message board yet AGAIN. The fact that you seem to crave adulation from anonymous posters on the Internet is odd, and possibly unhealthy.

If you do what you say you do, I think that is quite admirable. I would think the satisfaction that comes from performing such good deeds would be enough without having to advertise it to the world. Apparently it is not.