Attendance

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Attendance

Post by azcat49 »

Anyone hear what the tickets sold last night was and what we averaged for the season?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Machina

Post by Machina »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Machina wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Machina wrote:I love when people on the board make stuff up, continue bad jokes at the expense of helping people and talk about attendance when they were not at the gsme.
Didn't make anything up, you deserve to be made fun of, and all you need is eyes looking at a TV screen to see people in the stands. Care to try again?
Lots of students and other fans left and everyone at the game knows it. I deserve to be made fun of for helping underprivileged kids go to U of A? And PHX never said the things you said PHX did about attendance
Who has ever made fun of you for that?

But way to bring up your selfless altruism on a college fan sports message board yet AGAIN. The fact that you seem to crave adulation from anonymous posters on the Internet is odd, and possibly unhealthy.

If you do what you say you do, I think that is quite admirable. I would think the satisfaction that comes from performing such good deeds would be enough without having to advertise it to the world. Apparently it is not.
Hater is and I am only mentionin it when he brings it up. He is the only one that is and I addressed it. Notice how I haven't said anything about it for years.

If you want to hate on me for not liking Miller go ahead, shows a lot about you and our culture today, but at least know what you are talking about and don't make up stuff
Machina

Post by Machina »

azcat49 wrote:Anyone hear what the tickets sold last night was and what we averaged for the season?
Saw something on twitter just south of 49 thousand
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Solid crowd last night. Some zoo left and people with kids but it was fun. Most stadiums weren't full. It's the new age. Heck tempe state had full sections in the lower level open yesterday. I drove down from Gilbert, past an accident that delayed me for 30 minutes, was waiting for a reason to leave, and I saw something great!

Last night was 48912 fyi

Scummies had 51695 which was the greatest crowd ever
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

49k with an 8pm start. That is really late. Game ended at 11:30. Round of applause to our fans. I think that is very impressive.

Pretty sure we averaged over 50K for the year which with that schedule is pretty darn good
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The odd year schedules tend to be lackluster. Next year we get USC, Stanford, UW, and ASU at home. The only big name opponent we had this year was UCLA. Utah is a matchup worth buying tickets for but they don't have that big name appeal for a lot of fans here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Attendance should be higher next year for sure.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

crowd last night was more electric than the raw numbers would suggest. Absolutely a factor down the stretch. There was a point in the game where the sideline started getting animated and then the student section joined them in jumping up and down and then the 11 on the field on defense started jumping up and down...it was a really organic, pure moment where a scoreboard wasn't telling everyone to make noise with sirens going off. There was nothing contrived about it, and the crowd responded. And from that point forward, the energy in the stadium was "November in Tucson" classic, despite a few empty seats.

The biggest test was when Wilson scrambled for the first on 4th and long in the 2nd OT. It was a classic deflating moment, especially with this team's track record in the red zone. But the edge stayed. The crowd stayed right with the players, and the players responded. It was one of the great moments in my many years of coming to games at Arizona Stadium.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

That moment was unbelievable with the way the players got the fans to respond. The crowd was just fantastic as the game went on. As I said in another thread, the upper deck was shaking during the second OT. What a night.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

48,912 officially. Tailgated but didnt go
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Considering the previous three weeks that's good. If we had beaten even one of those teams or two of them it probably would have been a sell out or near sell out

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

would love to see where some of the uninformed get their information. It is really sad how someone here just sees and reads what they want and continues to make up lies.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Tailgated but didnt go
This is something I hear from time to time but will never understand.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I know a ton of people from work who tailgate but don't go the game itself.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:I know a ton of people from work who tailgate but don't go the game itself.
Same here. This is a problem and Greg has tried his hardest to fix it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:would love to see where some of the uninformed get their information. It is really sad how someone here just sees and reads what they want and continues to make up lies.
Considering you've been proven wrong on absolutely everything you've tried to say about attendance.....

Oh and remember.. Build it and they will come.

BMalo

Post by BMalo »

If I'm going to spend the time tailgating, I'm going to go to the game. I've not tailgated and gone to the game but it's extremely unlikely I'd do the opposite.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BMalo wrote:If I'm going to spend the time tailgating, I'm going to go to the game. I've not tailgated and gone to the game but it's extremely unlikely I'd do the opposite.
Same here. I've skipped many a tailgate but I've never tailgated and then not gone to the game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Party culture and wanting to be seen?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
BMalo wrote:If I'm going to spend the time tailgating, I'm going to go to the game. I've not tailgated and gone to the game but it's extremely unlikely I'd do the opposite.
Same here. I've skipped many a tailgate but I've never tailgated and then not gone to the game.
I've actually never tailgated at Arizona. Gone to about 30 games... But never tailgated

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
maybe there is too much tafic between the tailgate and the game.

-Bug
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat wrote:This is something I hear from time to time but will never understand.
Didn't have tickets but was invited to tailgate. Football isnt my jam but tailgating is the best party in Tucson.

Tweeted GB that we need a basketball tailgate once a year. Fill the football stadium with anyone who cant fit in McKale and show the game on the jumbotron
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:
Chicat wrote:This is something I hear from time to time but will never understand.
Didn't have tickets but was invited to tailgate. Football isnt my jam but tailgating is the best party in Tucson.

Tweeted GB that we need a basketball tailgate once a year. Fill the football stadium with anyone who cant fit in McKale and show the game on the jumbotron
What did I say.

interesting idea but don't think you could get the school to buy in on it
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bad fans. If only they would show up then the program would get better overnight

carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Tailgating is always an attraction regardless of the opponent. But do you want to invest a full afternoon and then evening to watch NAU or UTSA? I'd reason that's why many people are willing to tailgate for a few hours and then miss the game.

It's a fine line Byrne is walking to get people in the seats and still have a successful program. I can see both sides of the scheduling argument. In a perfect world, Arizona has a winning season and plays an attractive non-conference slate.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

carolinacat wrote:Tailgating is always an attraction regardless of the opponent. But do you want to invest a full afternoon and then evening to watch NAU or UTSA? I'd reason that's why many people are willing to tailgate for a few hours and then miss the game.

It's a fine line Byrne is walking to get people in the seats and still have a successful program. I can see both sides of the scheduling argument. In a perfect world, Arizona has a winning season and plays an attractive non-conference slate.
Early season games almost have to be night games. A 1 PM start in early September is gonna draw 40k and only 20k will live through the game.

That means a longer tailgating period, but what can you do?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Apparently at kickoff:

And during 3rd quarter:

Football school baby.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Jefe wrote:

Haha, you think RR would buy into that. Your kidding right? Unless it was a FF game or a NC game AZ stadium will stay a football only fixture and rightfully so
Machina

Post by Machina »

Watch OT just now since I was at the game. So many crowd shots in OT show how many students left early. Maybe they are Seahawks fans too?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Anyone see the shots at UCLA basketball attendance that Miller took? Miller says attendance is important for recruiting but maybe I should side with the uninformed?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:Anyone see the shots at UCLA basketball attendance that Miller took? Miller says attendance is important for recruiting but maybe I should side with the uninformed?
It's amazing how dense and uninformed one person can be. You do realize the football program and basketball programs are different and have different history and track records right? Phxcats, what I would absolutely love, is for you to give one example in the history of sports, college or pro, of a huge dedicated fan base that sells out every single game existing before a program became good or that directly caused a program to be good. Or give specific examples of recruits or pros saying they went to a certain program or team solely because of the home attendance.

If you do this, I'll consider some of your points. If you can't...you should just shut the hell up about attendance for the rest of eternity and stay uninformed. You're seriously getting to be like the gun nuts in the gun control debate. Ignore all evidence!

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Who should I trust about attendance at games being important? Sean Miller or an uninformed message board poster who many have ignored? Gonna go with Sean Miller. Attendance does not mean you win automatically as some ignorant poster made up but it certainly is important and Miller agrees. Helps with coaching, in game decision making by opposing teams and in recruiting, just not to the ignorant poster on many peoples foe list.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So what you're saying is that you have no examples or evidence, are uninformed and ignorant and make stuff up Exactly what I thought

Machina

Post by Machina »

ASUHATER is the one being ignorant and making stuff up. Did you read what Miller said? If not here you go. He says it clearly it is important to recruiting. How can you possibly think otherwise?

HEAT INDEX
Did Sean Miller take a shot at UCLA's poor attendance?

Andrew Joseph, azcentral sports
2 hours ago
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
more

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller at Pac-12 Media Day at Pac-12 Studios.
There isn't much excitement about November college basketball in Los Angeles, and Arizona head coach Sean Miller took notice.

In comments to The Daily Wildcats' Ezra Amacher, Miller alluded to the poor attendance at UCLA's home game against Cal Poly, which drew an announced crowd of 6,595. Pauley Pavilion seats 12,829.
"I watched a couple of games last night like, 'Wow, that is amazing, who's not at the game,'" Miller said. "I know there's a lot of traffic. But you wonder if the season ticket was not printed the right way."
Yeah, Miller didn't specifically mention UCLA, but it wasn't hard to figure out. Both Stanford and UCLA played consecutively on Sunday night. Stanford's attendance was just 3,427 (in a 7,000-seat arena). But the traffic comment definitely makes one think about Los Angeles.
Miller always has to work to sell his program as a head coach, so you can't blame him for taking a subtle shot at UCLA when the Bruins fans make it so easy.
"As a young kid, why would you ever want to come to a program or a place where nobody comes to the game?" Miller went on to say. "I mean, that puts a lot of pressure on their recruiting. For us, you come here, you have an opportunity to play in front of 14,500. You've got that pregame introduction. You have the ZonaZoo. It feels like college basketball."
But at UCLA, it doesn't.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What does this have to do with football attendance again?

BTW our football attendance is much better than uclas basketball attendance

Machina

Post by Machina »

I can't believe someone actually asked that question. Goodbye to this thread if you cannot comprehend anything
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

My god...when you ignore machina and phxcats... This thread becomes so amazing and devoid of idiocy, ignorance and uninformed people

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Back to football attendance, 6 pac-12 home games this weekend. Only 2 greater then the 48,912 Az got. Tempe had 51K and UCLA had 76K. UofA is average to above average in yearly attendance. Pretty solid.

WSU UCLA 76,255
ASU Wash 51,695
ARI Utah 48,912
ORE Furd 48,633
CAL OSU 41,874
USC Col 37,905
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Machina wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Machina wrote:I love when people on the board make stuff up, continue bad jokes at the expense of helping people and talk about attendance when they were not at the gsme.
Didn't make anything up, you deserve to be made fun of, and all you need is eyes looking at a TV screen to see people in the stands. Care to try again?
Lots of students and other fans left and everyone at the game knows it. I deserve to be made fun of for helping underprivileged kids go to U of A? And PHX never said the things you said PHX did about attendance
Who has ever made fun of you for that?

But way to bring up your selfless altruism on a college fan sports message board yet AGAIN. The fact that you seem to crave adulation from anonymous posters on the Internet is odd, and possibly unhealthy.

If you do what you say you do, I think that is quite admirable. I would think the satisfaction that comes from performing such good deeds would be enough without having to advertise it to the world. Apparently it is not.
Hater is and I am only mentionin it when he brings it up. He is the only one that is and I addressed it. Notice how I haven't said anything about it for years.

If you want to hate on me for not liking Miller go ahead, shows a lot about you and our culture today, but at least know what you are talking about and don't make up stuff
Make up what? You are a petty and whiny... and you do not think like (or appreciate) a real winner when we have one. But you wear your 'victim/ persecution' complex very well.

And you have brought up your good deeds countless times on these Internet forums; that is a fact and anyone who frequents these forums knows it
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:ASUHATER is the one being ignorant and making stuff up. Did you read what Miller said? If not here you go. He says it clearly it is important to recruiting. How can you possibly think otherwise?

HEAT INDEX
Did Sean Miller take a shot at UCLA's poor attendance?

Andrew Joseph, azcentral sports
2 hours ago
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
more

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller at Pac-12 Media Day at Pac-12 Studios.
There isn't much excitement about November college basketball in Los Angeles, and Arizona head coach Sean Miller took notice.

In comments to The Daily Wildcats' Ezra Amacher, Miller alluded to the poor attendance at UCLA's home game against Cal Poly, which drew an announced crowd of 6,595. Pauley Pavilion seats 12,829.
"I watched a couple of games last night like, 'Wow, that is amazing, who's not at the game,'" Miller said. "I know there's a lot of traffic. But you wonder if the season ticket was not printed the right way."
Yeah, Miller didn't specifically mention UCLA, but it wasn't hard to figure out. Both Stanford and UCLA played consecutively on Sunday night. Stanford's attendance was just 3,427 (in a 7,000-seat arena). But the traffic comment definitely makes one think about Los Angeles.
Miller always has to work to sell his program as a head coach, so you can't blame him for taking a subtle shot at UCLA when the Bruins fans make it so easy.
"As a young kid, why would you ever want to come to a program or a place where nobody comes to the game?" Miller went on to say. "I mean, that puts a lot of pressure on their recruiting. For us, you come here, you have an opportunity to play in front of 14,500. You've got that pregame introduction. You have the ZonaZoo. It feels like college basketball."
But at UCLA, it doesn't.
I understand these comments offended you...

Were you also disturbed by Rich Rod's shot at Graham about sending in plays using a curtain?

I personally loved both of them...
jimson

Post by jimson »

If AZ stadium was the size of Mchale, then it would be sold out every game, Totally different animal.

I was at the game and yes. the student section wasn't as full in the 2nd half as it was at the start. So what are we supposed to do about it? Half the coaches in America are complaining about the same thing.

Considering the blowout losing streak we were on (minus USC), it was a pretty solid crowd.

The general public is more likely to stay the whole game than the students are, so reduce the size of the Zona Zoo and sell some of those tickets to the general public.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

jimson wrote:If AZ stadium was the size of Mchale, then it would be sold out every game, Totally different animal.

I was at the game and yes. the student section wasn't as full in the 2nd half as it was at the start. So what are we supposed to do about it? Half the coaches in America are complaining about the same thing.

Considering the blowout losing streak we were on (minus USC), it was a pretty solid crowd.

The general public is more likely to stay the whole game than the students are, so reduce the size of the Zona Zoo and sell some of those tickets to the general public.
Yup. Even Alabama can't keep their student section full past half time.

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Miller was ripping on UCLA because they were at 50% capacity. AZ stadium was at 90%.

Not the same.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

51k at ASU/Washington... riggggght.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

wyo-cat wrote:Miller was ripping on UCLA because they were at 50% capacity. AZ stadium was at 90%.

Not the same.
Yep. "Bad" Arizona fans according to phxcats fill 85%+ of a 56000 seat stadium even after horrific losses for a middling program in a metro area of less than a million. UCLA's arguably the top program of all time and can barely fill half their arena which has twelve thousand and are in a metro area of 13+ million. Uclas attendance issue is light years worse than Arizona's football issue.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:Miller was ripping on UCLA because they were at 50% capacity. AZ stadium was at 90%.

Not the same.
Yep. "Bad" Arizona fans according to phxcats fill 85%+ of a 56000 seat stadium even after horrific losses for a middling program in a metro area of less than a million. UCLA's arguably the top program of all time and can barely fill half their arena which has twelve thousand and are in a metro area of 13+ million. Uclas attendance issue is light years worse than Arizona's football issue.
Guys... I really do not feel comfortable with us discussing another program's attendance issues on a public forum. I feel like it is poor form on our part.

Maybe we can grab a few beers together in a private booth at Arcadia Tavern after the next Phoenix Area Alumnia Association fundraiser?

We should be able to speak freely about this issue and do a candid assessment of Miller's progress in improving the team's FT shooting - because I am pretty sure he will not be there.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

jimson wrote:If AZ stadium was the size of Mchale, then it would be sold out every game, Totally different animal.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:Apparently at kickoff:

And during 3rd quarter:

Football school baby.
What did they do to their stadium?

It looks like shit.

thats saying something considering how shiity it looked before.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

azpenguin wrote:51k at ASU/Washington... riggggght.
I work in Scottsdale and my work was giving out a bunch of tickets... So I believe the number but it's different from the "paid" attendance figure :)