College football Bowl projections

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: 2015 Bowl projections

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ESPN has Arizona vs BYU in the Hawaii bowl. Still better than the destinations East of the Mississippi, but the only way I make a game is if it's somewhere in the Southwest. C'mon Cactus, Arizona, Poinsettia...Vegas?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:ESPN has Arizona vs BYU in the Hawaii bowl. Still better than the destinations East of the Mississippi, but the only way I make a game is if it's somewhere in the Southwest. C'mon Cactus, Arizona, Poinsettia...Vegas?
Schlabach has a Cactus bowl projection against Air Force. I like the idea of the Hawaii bowl but the date doesnt work very well. Reminds me when Tempe played in the Aloha Bowl one of the years and there was 1 fan there to watch. Espn went up to him and interviewed him. It was great, but it was also on the 25th so that probably killed what little attendance a non-Warriors game brings to the island.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ns-week-11" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Strange they would have a mwc team in the cactus bowl. Will most likely be west Virginia or Texas tech in that game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Strange they would have a mwc team in the cactus bowl. Will most likely be west Virginia or Texas tech in that game.
I think its because that projection has 1 team in the final 4, 1 in a new years 6 bowl, and the big 12 has 6 other lower bowl tie-ins. Only 5 teams are bowl eligible with WV likely being the 6th. Cactus picks 7th so Texas would need to win 2 more for WV to even have a shot out west. Of course ESPN can step in and beg for the matchup and it could happen.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I love all bowls. I am so happy to read bowl projections again (stopped when I wasnt sure Az would win again). Anyways, wanted to look around and see how the projections changed after the rankings last night; they are all over the map:

Jan. 2 Cactus Big 12 vs. Pac-12 *New Mexico vs. Arizona (USA Today)
Dec. 26 Pinstripe Bronx, N.Y. Pittsburgh (ACC Nos. 3-6) vs. Arizona* (B1G Nos. 5-7) (Fox Sports)
Independence Bowl Dec. 26 Shreveport, La. SEC vs. ACC Arizona+ vs. Duke (CBS)
At-large: Arizona (ESPN PAC-12 Blog)

Since it would be an at large bid, dont think Independence would ask Az to go again.

Starting to think the winner on Saturday is headed to the Cactus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I think so too. Loser goes to Detroit or New York or Shreveport and the winner goes of the cactus bowl in Chase Field

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gilbertcat wrote:I love all bowls. I am so happy to read bowl projections again (stopped when I wasnt sure Az would win again). Anyways, wanted to look around and see how the projections changed after the rankings last night; they are all over the map:

Dec. 26 Pinstripe Bronx, N.Y. Pittsburgh (ACC Nos. 3-6) vs. Arizona* (B1G Nos. 5-7) (Fox Sports)

Since it would be an at large bid, dont think Independence would ask Az to go again.

I know a lot of people feel that way... I think the bowl system is so diluted it makes it almost meaningless outside of the big ones. To think that a win against ASU might qualify us for a bowl that should pit us against the #7 team in the Big 10 seems... Ridiculous.

Regardless of what bowl we play in, a win in Tempe - on the heels of a top 10 upset at home - would make the season and be a reward in and of itself.

T-70 hours and counting...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What would you prefer Harvey, staying at home with no bowl? A bowl against a big 12 team(cactus bowl tie in) is always better than nothing at all.

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I'd like us to be in the Poinsettia.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

The ACC match opponents are nice. Better than playing in another MWC bowl.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

We do not want the AZ bowl. It's budget centric.

No tailgating.
They named the bowl so they don't have to repaint the end zones.
No TV.

It's a start, but that's all....
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Don't remember where the indoor facility discussion was, but looking at those ACC teams I spotted this:

North Carolina unveils plans for new indoor practice facility

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:What would you prefer Harvey, staying at home with no bowl? A bowl against a big 12 team(cactus bowl tie in) is always better than nothing at all.
Prefer? I really could not care less. Rewards are meaningless if they are not the result of a notable achievement.

I will be far less excited than I would be if my 6 year old wins a trophy for her soccer team finishing 4-6 and finishes 6th out of 8 teams. And that would not change if she played 2-3 games to start the season against teams from the 4 year old league - allowing her team to boast of a 'winning record' in their season of terrific achievement! Everybody is a winner... YAY!

Little kids play sports for fun and love of the game without receiving anything for it. Their coaches are volunteers who don't make ridiculously outsized sums of money relative to the revenue stream for which they are responsible, get fat guaranteed contracts with inane buyouts regardless of how they perform, and leverage shitty performances into pay raises and contract extensions. It's utterly fucking ridiculous.

It's patronizing to reward mediocrity at any level ... And I am sorry if that is an unpopular opinion. I care more about the achievement than the reward.

If we beat ASU, we will have finished the season strong against a ranked opponent and our bitter rival. Those are both sources of pride and satisfaction... In a very difficult season where we faced many obstacles. That matters a shit-ton more to me than being awarded a spot in some bottom-feeder bowl against a team with a losing conference record who should be spending the holidays at home.

I'd rather deserve an award I didn't receive than get one I didn't.... But I guess I am a relic in that regard. I also believe that the true reward of a job well done is having done it.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I might be in the minority here, but whether it's the Fiesta Bowl or the New Mexico Bowl, either way it's another game in a season that's too short as it is. I look forward to the Cats playing football, and after a long summer this season is already just about over. I'll take another game, whatever lower tier bowl it is.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azpenguin wrote:I might be in the minority here, but whether it's the Fiesta Bowl or the New Mexico Bowl, either way it's another game in a season that's too short as it is. I look forward to the Cats playing football, and after a long summer this season is already just about over. I'll take another game, whatever lower tier bowl it is.
Yes, and more practices for the younger classes, more for recruits to see on a potential December visit, more in this case is better.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I just don't get the idea that a fan doesn't want to see us play another game and doesn't want a chance to see guys like Wilson or even Scooby possibly play one more time. To think that a bowl game is patronizing is honestly idiotic.

If you think they are patronizing and reward mediocrity, then you have to be against any bowls that non conference champions are in. Might as well only have the 6 playoff level bowls and have the other 115 college teams stay home since it would be patronizing for them to play in a bowl that couldn't get them a title.

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Sure bowl games are saturated and many of them blowouts and boring. So many now. But, if you don't like them, don't watch them (I will). But that's obvious.

Players seem to get like playing in them. Rewarding? I look at it as the conference wanting Money, ESPN, wanting Money, Advertisers wanting Money AND the players probably getting more attention (swag, events) than any other time of the season. At least it seems more focus is given to players for a bowl game than any other time in the season. That seems good. They seem to enjoy it.

I'll be watching.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:I love all bowls. I am so happy to read bowl projections again (stopped when I wasnt sure Az would win again). Anyways, wanted to look around and see how the projections changed after the rankings last night; they are all over the map:

I know a lot of people feel that way... I think the bowl system is so diluted it makes it almost meaningless outside of the big ones. To think that a win against ASU might qualify us for a bowl that should pit us against the #7 team in the Big 10 seems... Ridiculous.

Regardless of what bowl we play in, a win in Tempe - on the heels of a top 10 upset at home - would make the season and be a reward in and of itself.

Meaningless? That fact that we have discussions on this thread as to why "any" bowl game is a benefit to our program is fucking comedy. A few have already addressed the key reasons why a bowl game is important. No need to rehash the obvious....

Enjoy it brothers, we're bowling and the kids are playing inspired football. :D

Fuck Asu
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Sid wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Meaningless? That fact that we have discussions on this thread as to why "any" bowl game is a benefit to our program is fucking comedy. A few have already addressed the key reasons why a bowl game is important. No need to rehash the obvious....

Fuck Asu
I can get on board with those last 2 lines in bold.

Team has looked great of late... Win Saturday and this will have been a great end to the season.

#Can'tWait
Sid

Post by Sid »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Sid wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Fuck Asu
I can get on board with those last 2 lines in bold.

Team has looked great of late... Win Saturday and this will have been a great end to the season.

#Can'tWait
I like it.

BTFD Harvey & Fuck Asu!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

As of right now there are 70 teams bowl eligible (assuming none of them have 2 wins over FCS teams) and another 12 with 5 wins.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azgreg wrote:As of right now there are 70 teams bowl eligible (assuming none of them have 2 wins over FCS teams) and another 12 with 5 wins.
So Arizona is getting one of those bids, right?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah we were guaranteed a bowl as soon as we beat Utah.

But since there may end up being 9-10 bowl eligible pac 12 teams with only 7 bowl tie ins and no pac 12 teams in the playoff... It's pretty much guaranteed that we're going to be sent to some random non pac 12 bowl in Shreveport or Boca Raton or Detroit or NYC.
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

SB Nation projection has Arizona in the Poinsettia vs San Diego State. Will gladly be in San Diego if so.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

ESPN has the Wildcats going pretty far to play a bowl game...to Tucson. Here is how I see it:

The Az Bowl picks 7th in the MW, 7th in CUSA, and a bowl tie-in with the Sun Belt. Mountain West will fill the slots with either Utah St, Colorado St, Nevada, NM, or SJST filling the spot. I don't see CUSA having enough teams and the Sun Belt would pick 5th as a replacement. However, they only have 3 bowl eligible teams. So for ticket sales, I can see AZ getting one last home game which would make me happy.

Other projections:
Poinsettia (SB Nation)
Independence Bowl (CBS)
Cactus (Campus Insider-but they have 2 PAC 12 teams in the New Years 6 bowls)

I think a return to the Independence would be a disaster for ticket sales and a game nobody would go to (again), Poinsettia would be solid but I cant go to it and it would annoy me, and Cactus/Arizona bowl is my personal best hope.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Most people seem to think no one would go to the Arizona bowl. 530 pm on Tuesday December 29th. It also is only on tv on something called the heart of America network. No real tv coverage either. Poinsettia bowl would be preferable

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Most people seem to think no one would go to the Arizona bowl. 530 pm on Tuesday December 29th. It also is only on tv on something called the heart of America network. No real tv coverage either. Poinsettia bowl would be preferable
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/10/01/n ... /21243747/" target="_blank
The NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl has partnered with Campus Insiders and will be the first digitally-focused bowl game broadcast. Internet users will be able to stream the game online through CampusInsiders.com. A linear broadcast network partner will be announced at a later date.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Either way the wildcats will struggle to sell tickets. Actually looking into it, I dont think Poinsettia is even possible:

MAC TO PARTICIPATE IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY CREDIT UNION POINSETTIA BOWL ON DEC. 23
The MAC's participation in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl will be the Conference's sixth guaranteed bowl appearance this upcoming 2015 bowl season. The MAC will fill this position in San Diego as the backup to Army, which will not be bowl eligible this season.
http://www.mac-sports.com/news/2015/11/ ... 55913.aspx" target="_blank

MAC has 7 teams for 6 spots with an 8th team being possible (Buffalo). Mountain West will send a team there on the other side.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Just sucks we have to wait upwards of two full weeks after our season is done to find out what bowl we go to.

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Just sucks we have to wait upwards of two full weeks after our season is done to find out what bowl we go to.
This is so true. Last year, the sting of the Oregon game was washed away quickly when the Fiesta Bowl was announced. I was thinking last night, UA hasn't won their last game heading into a bowl since the Holiday Bowl....
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Gilbertcat wrote:Either way the wildcats will struggle to sell tickets. Actually looking into it, I dont think Poinsettia is even possible:

MAC TO PARTICIPATE IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY CREDIT UNION POINSETTIA BOWL ON DEC. 23
The MAC's participation in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl will be the Conference's sixth guaranteed bowl appearance this upcoming 2015 bowl season. The MAC will fill this position in San Diego as the backup to Army, which will not be bowl eligible this season.
http://www.mac-sports.com/news/2015/11/ ... 55913.aspx" target="_blank

MAC has 7 teams for 6 spots with an 8th team being possible (Buffalo). Mountain West will send a team there on the other side.
Not likely but then there may end up being some horse trading going on with the bowls as happens every year. The Poinsettia people know that Arizona would draw well there and might talk with other bowls to see if they can come up with a solution. Still think AZ goes to Shreveport again, though, which I don't know if the coaching staff would mind so much since they've been building that Louisiana pipeline.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Contractually obligated bow tie ins which can't be refused, not that RR or Byrne would but as of now the Cats qualify for an at large bid with 7 teams ahead of them if you use conference records.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We're not going to any of the pac 12 bowls. Hell, us, Cal, and possibly asu or uw could be shipped to non pac 12 bowls.

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Can we at least enjoy what bowl we get into? I really doesn't matter what bowl game we get accept in. I rather be happy to see my team to play one more game.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89 wrote:Can we at least enjoy what bowl we get into? I really doesn't matter what bowl game we get accept in. I rather be happy to see my team to play one more game.
I can. I can't wait to see my 2015 Cats one more time.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I can't wait to see the 2015 team for the first time (assuming we will have just about everyone back from injury)
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote:Can we at least enjoy what bowl we get into? I really doesn't matter what bowl game we get accept in. I rather be happy to see my team to play one more game.
I'm always glad for the seniors to get into one last game.

And like has been said, the coaches like all the extra practices.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:I can't wait to see the 2015 for the first time (assuming we will have just about everyone back from injury)
Yeah if we play in a later bowl we could have a good 5 weeks off going in. We might actually be almost completely healthy, albeit rusty. I'm excited no matter what bowl it is.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I can't wait to see the 2015 for the first time (assuming we will have just about everyone back from injury)
Yeah if we play in a later bowl we could have a good 5 weeks off going in. We might actually be almost completely healthy, albeit rusty. I'm excited no matter what bowl it is.
As I said in another thread, I expect a very angry and mostly healthy team to show up in a bowl game.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Welp, if it does end up being the Cactus, its now the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl. Goes up there with the former Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The Motel 6 Cactus Bowl... I thought it was a joke when I saw it on Twitter, but no. Does Tom Bodette do the color commentary on TV?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Lol. Motel 6 Bowl...that's worse than Beef O'Brady's or whatever the crap that one was/is...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Crappy name but if we actually went it would be a good bowl since it's against the big 12 and it would be on a Saturday night where a lot of Arizona fans can go especially since its in Phoenix.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think the Cactus Bowl committee would want UA, since the fans would just drive up for the game. Most bowl committees want teams to come where they spend the night or 2 and lots of money in restaurants and bars.

Get a better turnout in the stadium, but the UA has to buy so many guaranteed seats anyway.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azpenguin wrote:The Motel 6 Cactus Bowl... I thought it was a joke when I saw it on Twitter, but no. Does Tom Bodette do the color commentary on TV?

Well at least they will leave the lights on for us
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:I don't think the Cactus Bowl committee would want UA, since the fans would just drive up for the game. Most bowl committees want teams to come where they spend the night or 2 and lots of money in restaurants and bars.

Get a better turnout in the stadium, but the UA has to buy so many guaranteed seats anyway.
Well odds are they pick Arizona or asu

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Anyone see a FB game at Chase before? How does it work in terms of a in-person game experience. Seems to me that it would be a funky seating layout.
Last edited by UALoco on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The selfish side of me is to send them close so I can go. The other side says let them walk the beaches in Hawaii or the streets on NYC as a reward for a difficult season and schedule.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:I don't think the Cactus Bowl committee would want UA, since the fans would just drive up for the game. Most bowl committees want teams to come where they spend the night or 2 and lots of money in restaurants and bars.

Depends on who the committee is made up of. Don't thinky they care as much for travel with rental cars and hotels as other bowls do.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

UALoco wrote:Any see a FB game at Chase before? How does it work in terms of a in-person game experience. Seems to me that it would be a funky seating layout.
I saw VTech and Cal there. They put up the bleachers on our side and we faced the normal seats.

Its funky, I found the pic above to show how it does lose its luster. And from what I remember, they were constantly opening and closing the roof for the fireworks so sitting at the top gets cold. But still not bad.