2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by Merkin »

catinfl wrote:I like Tate, but I'm not big on true freshman starting.
I don't think RichRod is either, although has with Tate Forcier at UM, and we all know how that turned out.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

2017 4* QB Ryan Kelley (Basha HS) has committed to Oregon.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:2017 4* QB Ryan Kelley (Basha HS) has committed to Oregon.
Since we have Burmeister we never really went after him, but he seems like a good player
Scummy Dick Douglas

catinfl wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:2017 4* QB Ryan Kelley (Basha HS) has committed to Oregon.
Since we have Burmeister we never really went after him, but he seems like a good player
Yeah the Ducks got a good one. Liked this kid a lot.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

catinfl wrote:
Assuming RichRod stays put, is Burmeister a lock? Or could he be another Shea Patterson? Personally, I'm worried enough that we'll keep Tate and Modster with all the madness that's going on...
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I wouldn't count on any kid who committ's that early, but one difference between Burmeister and Patterson is that Patterson only comitted to follow his brother wherever his coaching career took him.

What's the word on Kongbo? He obviously would have all the playing time he needs here, but can we really beat Auburn and Alabama? Also, if we are lucky enough to get him, could he just be another Louis Holmes?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
catinfl wrote:
ASU and UCLA both also wanted him badly
Scummy Dick Douglas

MrBug708 wrote:
catinfl wrote:
ASU and UCLA both also wanted him badly
I wouldn't say ASU wanted him "badly", though they certainly wanted him. If ASU had not gotten a commitment from DSC the plan was to give Kelley the full press. ASU also really likes Tristan Gebbia (4* QB out of Calabasas), and will focus all their efforts on him for the '17 class. (They just got a commitment from his teammate, 4* DB Jermani Brown, yesterday).
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Even our LB recruits get hurt. If it wasn't for bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mmmmmmm.......
-JB
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

What sideline was he on?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Never mind he was rocking Arizona gear
Kiyama

Post by Kiyama »

UAEebs86 wrote:Mmmmmmm.......
Can he play Center?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

I saw a few big time visitors came by and witnessed the upset. Anyone got a list?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

TuiTouchdown wrote:I saw a few big time visitors came by and witnessed the upset. Anyone got a list?
Two big ones I know of are Jonathan Kongbo (number one JC player, DL/LB) and Connor Murphy (Top 5 instate DL). Getting either of them would be a major Coup and make up for the loss of Allen.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Former Florida State 4 Star LB interested in UA

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... n_rec.html" target="_blank
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Calvin Bundage also visited this weekend.
@JasonScheer Nov 15
Just a reminder, four-stars Calvin Bundage and Connor Murphy were at tonight's game.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catinfl wrote:Calvin Bundage also visited this weekend.
@JasonScheer Nov 15
Just a reminder, four-stars Calvin Bundage and Connor Murphy were at tonight's game.
Related to Caymen?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Merkin wrote:
catinfl wrote:Calvin Bundage also visited this weekend.
@JasonScheer Nov 15
Related to Caymen?
Yes, Brother.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ getting a January visit from the top DT in the West (Tagaloa). Michigan/UCLA seen as favorites

http://www.scout.com/college/football/r ... wn-to-five" target="_blank
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

dmjcat wrote:AZ getting a January visit from the top DT in the West (Tagaloa). Michigan/UCLA seen as favorites

http://www.scout.com/college/football/r ... wn-to-five" target="_blank
Any relation to Freddie?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Yes.

It'll be a small miracle if he doesnt pick UCLA. He's even admitted that UCLA is his favorite
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The SC site just CB'ed Murphy to SC.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:The SC site just CB'ed Murphy to SC.
I'm assuming Byron?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Conor. But Schrader has about 40 guys going to SC
Scummy Dick Douglas

catinfl wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:The SC site just CB'ed Murphy to SC.
I'm assuming Byron?
Byron Murphy is a real tossup between ASU and A&M.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ESPN article on In state recruiting. We have to figure out how to get this fixed.... ASU is kicking our ass this year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/pac12/i ... t?id=95116" target="_blank

I hope we pummel them for a variety of reasons... No the least of which is to keep both the Murphys away from ASU even if they are not coming here.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Harvey Specter wrote:ESPN article on In state recruiting. We have to figure out how to get this fixed.... ASU is kicking our ass this year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/pac12/i ... t?id=95116" target="_blank

I hope we pummel them for a variety of reasons... No the least of which is to keep both the Murphys away from ASU even if they are not coming here.

Reading that article, I do not get why Arizona is being lumped in with ASU. I wish that was the case, but from everything I am seeing ASU is started to lock up the state where as we are still standing out in the cold with our figurative dick in our hand.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Chandler High is not very UA friendly. much like saguaro and Hamilton (Although Hamilton has gotten better)
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:Chandler High is not very UA friendly. much like saguaro and Hamilton (Although Hamilton has gotten better)
Then fix it.... The staff is well paid to.

I do not recall Chandler High being real ASU friendly until very recently.

B Murphy (Saguaro) I can accept if it happens.. not C Murphy. (I will be surprised if he lands in Tempe)
Scummy Dick Douglas

Harvey Specter wrote:
catinfl wrote:Chandler High is not very UA friendly. much like saguaro and Hamilton (Although Hamilton has gotten better)

B Murphy (Saguaro) I can accept if it happens.. not C Murphy. (I will be surprised if he lands in Tempe)
Recruiting is about relationships more than anything. Obviously the facilities and wins help, but it always starts and ends with the recruits relationship with the staff.

I doubt Connor Murphy ends up at ASU. I tend to think he ends up at UM, and maybe even Vanderbilt (Derek Mason was his brothers D coordinator at Stanford). Murphy is still extremely raw, and many think he has more upside on the offensive side of the ball, OT in particular.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Recruiting is about relationships more than anything. Obviously the facilities and wins help, but it always starts and ends with the recruits relationship with the staff.

I doubt Connor Murphy ends up at ASU. I tend to think he ends up at UM, and maybe even Vanderbilt (Derek Mason was his brothers D coordinator at Stanford). Murphy is still extremely raw, and many think he has more upside on the offensive side of the ball, OT in particular.

I'd bet a large sum of money that Chandler's HS Coach will end up on ASU's Staff, but that may just be me.
Scummy Dick Douglas

catinfl wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I'd bet a large sum of money that Chandler's HS Coach will end up on ASU's Staff, but that may just be me.
Yeah they have supposedly been looking at him as a replacement to Bo Graham for some time now. It would seem like a no brainier to me. Graham is pretty rigid in his stance of only hiring good teachers, so assuming he fits that mold it would make sense.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Haha right, good teachers. You buying that clown shit. Just like Ragle. Come on dude. Be legit
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Haha right, good teachers. You buying that clown shit. Just like Ragle. Come on dude. Be legit
Glad you brought that up... Pretty hard to bust on ASU for doing something we have.

If they do, at least they are getting n'Keal Harry & Chase Lucas; we missed on Tyler Whiley but got Rob Ippolito. (I am sorry he is injured, but the fact that he was so high on the depth chart says more about our recruiting than it does about his ability, which is... limited).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Harvey, I love you like a brother, but to think that that are going at a coach because he is a good teacher is just clown shit.

Scummy is a joke. He thinks cause he comes in here and sounds neutral he can be accepted for his analytical opinion. He is a clown joke and we let him post.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Haha right, good teachers. You buying that clown shit. Just like Ragle. Come on dude. Be legit
Glad you brought that up... Pretty hard to bust on ASU for doing something we have.

If they do, at least they are getting n'Keal Harry & Chase Lucas; we missed on Tyler Whiley but got Rob Ippolito. (I am sorry he is injured, but the fact that he was so high on the depth chart says more about our recruiting than it does about his ability, which is... limited).
Cody Ippollitto is not a bad football player.Totaled 52 tackles, including 33 solo stops, with 6.5 tackles for a loss of 24 yards and 2.0 sacks. Liability on passing, but he was really good against the run and was constantly getting in the backfield. Could really have used him this year.
Scummy Dick Douglas

azcat49 wrote:Harvey, I love you like a brother, but to think that that are going at a coach because he is a good teacher is just clown shit.

Scummy is a joke. He thinks cause he comes in here and sounds neutral he can be accepted for his analytical opinion. He is a clown joke and we let him post.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It has been a point of frustration for those connected with the ASU football program. Graham has the financial support from the AD to make a big splash hire, something his predecessors did not have. Many of us have hoped that Graham would hire a "super recruiter" of sorts, kind of like a Klemm. Get someone whose talent is closing on those elite recruits, regardless of whether or not they are good at developing said talent. But Graham is very stuck in his ways. The most important thing for any coaching hire is 1, they have to know someone on staff. The recommendation of his staff or himself is critical. 2, they have to be excellent teachers. He basically believes the recruiting comes with time and relationship building. And while I agree it can be done, time is something most coaches don't have, (so I would prefer he just hire that recruiter). Being an excellent teacher is a strict requirement of a job with Graham.

Coach Aguano is very liked and respected in the AZ HS football community. Having met the guy and his family several times, I can see how he would be a great fit. TG has hired other HS coaches, so those thinking this is only because he has talent at his school don't understand how Graham hires. There are plenty of other HS coaches who would love to take the promotion to this level and have a lot of talent in their program. There is a reason Aguano is a good fit, even if azcat49 is too dense to recognize it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Bo Graham was a super teacher. OMG, you are not only a clown but a comedian. Some 28 year old, coed busting dumb shit met CTG criteria of what it takes to be on the vaunted Clown Devil staff. Riiight

Everything is better at ASSU. We get it it
Scummy Dick Douglas

azcat49 wrote:So Bo Graham was a super teacher. OMG, you are not only a clown but a comedian. Some 28 year old, coed busting dumb shit met CTG criteria of what it takes to be on the vaunted Clown Devil staff. Riiight

Everything is better at ASSU. We get it it
You are so dense I can't even get upset. Do you take medication to help with the aggressive mood swings?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep, because if CTG hires you, you must he an excellent teacher of football. So lets hire the guy at Chandler HS. Oh and maybe we can lock down Hamilton and Chandler then, oh but hey, he is a great teacher. Bo knows.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Harvey, I love you like a brother, but to think that that are going at a coach because he is a good teacher is just clown shit.

Agreed on that.

I think the notion that he would be hired because he is a good teacher is as laughable as the notion that we hired Ragle because he is.

If we are trying to recruit players by offering staff positions to coaches, I'd prefer to actually get some difference makers on the roster, because what he have gotten forum Chaparral... are not.

Ragle brought Ippolito. Arguably Neal, but he went to ND first. Wood was coming here anyway. Not an accountant, but our hurdle rate must be <0 if we consider that investment to have had a good ROI. Not exactly helping us anywhere else with recruiting the Phoenix Metro area, either.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I have read for the past 4 years that we would recruit "OKG" types that were not highly rated because they were undersized but we would be lightning fast all over the field. One of the reasons we need artificial turf... To maximize our advantage in that department.

That is laughable. This team is slow all over the field... and undersized, too. Injuries were undoubtedly a problem, but I think we have serious personnel issues at full strength.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Harvey Specter wrote:

Agreed on that.

I think the notion that he would be hired because he is a good teacher is as laughable as the notion that we hired Ragle because he is.

If we are trying to recruit players by offering staff positions to coaches, I'd prefer to actually get some difference makers on the roster, because what he have gotten forum Chaparral... are not.

Ragle brought Ippolito. Arguably Neal, but he went to ND first. Wood was coming here anyway. Not an accountant, but our hurdle rate must be <0 if we consider that investment to have had a good ROI. Not exactly helping us anywhere else with recruiting the Phoenix Metro area, either.
Never said it was only because he was a good teacher. I said being a very good teacher is a required trait for TG to hire to his staff. It cuts both ways. There are plenty of HS HC with D1 talent on the rosters, why this coach (assuming it actually comes to fruition)? Also, wouldn't it make more sense for ASU to want him to stay at Chandler seeing as they are finally having progress with Chandler kids?

Simply hiring a kids coach might work in basketball, but it doesn't really work that way in football. Relationships drive recruiting success.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

This thread is even more depressing than our season thread, which does not bode well for the future of this program.

This class is nearly identical to last class when you take out the two QB's we recruited this year compared to the zero last year.

If we do not end up with at least 2 of the remaining legit D1 players on our radar I will consider this back to back failures on the recruiting trail, and regardless of whether Rich Rod or a new coach is coaching in the future that will be a tough obstacle to overcome.

With that said I do not expect us to get even 1 of our remaining targets from the list below (i.e. the only difference makers we are in on):

Jonathan Kongbo
Melquise Stovall
Boss Tagaloa
Josh Allen
Brandon Burton
Richard Merritt
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Agreed on that.

Never said it was only because he was a good teacher. I said being a very good teacher is a required trait for TG to hire to his staff. It cuts both ways. There are plenty of HS HC with D1 talent on the rosters, why this coach (assuming it actually comes to fruition)? Also, wouldn't it make more sense for ASU to want him to stay at Chandler seeing as they are finally having progress with Chandler kids?

Simply hiring a kids coach might work in basketball, but it doesn't really work that way in football. Relationships drive recruiting success.
Hiring him would help him at Chandler still and you and I both know that. It's basically what we did with Ragle so I'm not gonna act like we're better than that, but I think the fact that he may get the job at ASU is helping immensely in landing these kids. Might not be, but just my guess here.