Official Anu Solomon Appreciation Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Official Anu Solomon Appreciation Thread

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Ouch!

I have heard that Anu and RR don't see eye to eye often, not a lot of rapport.
The problem is that in RR's offense you need to read the defense and react. If you have to think about it, your options get more limited by the second. So simplifying things would seem to be the way to go if your QB is overthinking (or really, thinking at all).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Ouch!

I have heard that Anu and RR don't see eye to eye often, not a lot of rapport.
The problem is that in RR's offense you need to read the defense and react. If you have to think about it, your options get more limited by the second. So simplifying things would seem to be the way to go if your QB is overthinking (or really, thinking at all).
Exactly and be willing to run it yourself when that is the right read
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I wonder if by simplifying he means scaling back to the offense during the first half last year or scaling back even more.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azpenguin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:It's all on RR not Anu. Smart people knew exactly what he was getting with Anu, along with his limitations.
Bring back Scroggins! This time he's ready for sure!
True dat. Him or Tuitama.
eoe

Post by eoe »

I don't get it

Wasn't Anu billed as a very heady (sometimes overly self-critical and over thinking) player?

He looked more than mobile and accurate last year. I'm not buying the "this is who he was all along" nonsense. He looks off and I'm not sure if it's the injuries/concussions or just overall ineptitude on offense
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Anu Solomon is a much better quarterback with a healthy Nick Wilson. I always pray we get that first first down because once that happens you can see the tempo being much smoother. Nick Wilson is so vital to this offense and Baker is really nothing else than a change of pace back.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Baker is fast and he's gotten a lot more powerful, but Wilson's got vision and that ability to change direction that you don't get out of a lot of guys. Wilson also doesn't shy away from contact and can knock tacklers over. You can tell Wilson and Solomon are on the same page more than any other QB/RB grouping on the field. Wilson's ability to get yards even when he's being keyed on makes Solomon's running threat even more profound because once he does take off it's completely unexpected by the offense. Contrast that with this example - Baker at Colorado. After his long early TD he didn't get much until Randall came into the game. Randall forced the D to key on him and that opened things up for Baker. The QB opening the run for the RB is the opposite of how it's typically supposed to work and with Wilson, Solomon can let the RB soften the defense.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

To be effective in this offense defensesmneed to think he may run on the option plays. He did a little vs Washington but not for the other games since UCLA.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Any update on him? We need him to have any sort of chance this week.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

threenumberones wrote:Any update on him? We need him to have any sort of chance this week.
I'm thinking he's going to have to go through the concussion protocols again. Might take most of the week.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Was the play Solomon was hurt subject to a review and penalty? It was pretty clear the Utah player led with his helmet entirely. I don't know how you could look at the play and argue otherwise. He lowered his head and hit Solomon with the crown of his helmet. He maybe wasn't trying to go "head-to-head" with Solomon, but that was the result as Solomon went into a sliding position.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'm sure the school is going to ask the conference for a review on this. The biggest problem is that the defender lowered his head and shoulders and adjusted downward to hit Solomon on the way down and hit him where he did. It should have been targeting.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Was watching the pac-12 network yesterday and they stated he left after a "head-to-head" hit so at least part of the pac-12 was in agreement.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

It will be put on the same desk as the "he touched the ball" complaint and the late start times with no off weeks.
As the boarding doors closed on his flight home from Beijing on Saturday night (Sunday afternoon there), Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott had just finished watching Oregon upset Stanford on his phone. Utah-Arizona was heading to halftime. Not until he landed in San Francisco 10 hours later would he learn that the Wildcats knocked off the Utes — possibly ruining his conference’s last remaining playoff hopes.

“I was in some suspense waiting to find out the results,” Scott — who visited China for Friday night’s Washington-Texas basketball game — told FOX Sports on Sunday.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... -fp-111615" target="_blank

At least we made him sad Sat/Sun
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

And what could the possible outcome be? The refs get a poor grade? So what?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:And what could the possible outcome be? The refs get a poor grade? So what?
Downgrade ref and the Utah player may need to sit for half the game Saturday
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

#Pac12refs. The shit show continues...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine it's too keep the PAC refs alert as ASU will most certainly try to rattle Solomon if he does play.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:And what could the possible outcome be? The refs get a poor grade? So what?
Downgrade ref and the Utah player may need to sit for half the game Saturday
Which would mean jack squat to the team. Whatever happens to Utah from here on out doesn't matter and you can't downgrade the refs below zero which is where they are right now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If he plays you know asu will be head hunting to try to knock Solomon out again.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Wasn't his first concussion from a hit when he was sliding?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Wasn't his first concussion from a hit when he was sliding?
Knee to the head against ucla and the targeting that wasn't called against Colorado (which led to a fumble). Although they didn't say it was a concussion against Colorado but I think it was.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

azgreg wrote:
Great picture. I don't know how anyone (especially a referee) can say that he didn't lead with his helmet. The Utah player's eyes aren't up at all at the target. A penalty wouldn't have changed things much because Solomon is still hurt. But at least confirm what everyone else on the planet saw. It's embarrassing that the officials can't recognize the obvious. It's like announcing the sky is green.

Arizona isn't exactly gonna get the sympathy in the referee department either. ASU can point to the Wazzu & Oregon games where they got screwed on some pretty obvious calls.

And BTW, I'm still pissed about the absolutely crappy officiating when we lost to Cal back in '93 that essentially cost us the Rose Bowl. I'd love to get a replay official and go over some of the disastrous calls that cost teams some big games (phantom pass interference at Oregon in '94).
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Mike Pereira called it leading with the shoulder during the broadcast.

Not that I expect any of those supervisors of officials to go against the refs on live TV, but just saying.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Its something I guess.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
The Utah player put his head down and led with his helmet. I don't care if Solomon slid late or not. Why should that matter. A defensive player should be able to have his eyes on the person he's trying to tackle. On that play the only way that was possible is if his eyes were on top of his head. Garbage excuse by the Pac 12. If you don't call targeting on that play, then you can never call it.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

That's just incompetence. And if it should be unnecessary roughness, how is the slide being 'late' relevant? Is that some sort of backhanded justification for not getting the targeting call? I'm not surprised to hear that shit from our 'VP of Officiating'. His title might as well be "Most Important Dipshit in an Organization Full of Dipshits".
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Is it tinfoil hat-wearing to call that excuse only with Arizona?

Because I've sure never heard any other conference administrator publicly blame a football player's concussion on him sliding late.

Willie Tuitama was targeted too, at LSU. Got a concussion that affected the rest of his playing career with no flag for it either.

Conference never said a word then either. Is Arizona just not important enough a conference member? Frustrated at this seeming pettiness.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

catgrad97 wrote:Is it tinfoil hat-wearing to call that excuse only with Arizona?

Because I've sure never heard any other conference administrator publicly blame a football player's concussion on him sliding late.

Willie Tuitama was targeted too, at LSU. Got a concussion that affected the rest of his playing career with no flag for it either.

Conference never said a word then either. Is Arizona just not important enough a conference member? Frustrated at this seeming pettiness.

Have you ever heard of a conference office calling out another conference's officials?

Tui got earholed twice in one set of downs by a flying human spear, but no anti-Arizona conspiracy there. Just the normal SEC bullshit.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

threenumberones wrote:That's just incompetence. And if it should be unnecessary roughness, how is the slide being 'late' relevant? Is that some sort of backhanded justification for not getting the targeting call? I'm not surprised to hear that shit from our 'VP of Officiating'. His title might as well be "Most Important Dipshit in an Organization Full of Dipshits".
You've got to give some sort of warning when you're about to hit us with one of these lines, 3. Almost did a spit take of coffee all over my monitor!

Go Cats!!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

After looking at the replay, the Utah guy got Anu with his shoulder. His helmet didn't make much contact with Anu's, so it's not helmet to helmet, but he certainly went in with his head down.

Kinda agree with the head ref. Unnecessary roughness would've been the right call unless you want to go with targeting. Pretty tough to do that with the angles on that play though.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

catgrad97 wrote:Is it tinfoil hat-wearing to call that excuse only with Arizona?

It never ends does it. No matter what happens anything that is not 110 percent positive for UA is the PAC12 out to get UA.

I didn't take it is it was Anu's fault for the concussion. I personally disagree with it but it is not blaming it on Anu and it is not a conspiracy to get UA.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

My first response was, "Wow that's a flag." The timing of the hit was such that it didn't look right. I felt that the replay verified my initial response.

Too bad Anu is going to miss 3 games when he was injured twice sliding.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Makes the Davey O'Brien watch list again.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Wrote an Article on the QB Competition and about how I think Anu will end up starting. Check it out if you guys get some time.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... on-dawkins" target="_blank
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

catinfl wrote:Wrote an Article on the QB Competition and about how I think Anu will end up starting. Check it out if you guys get some time.

Nice job! I look forward to seeing more of your writing at AZDS. My favorite paragraph from your article:
The 2015 season was an interesting one to say the least. Anu got absolutely no help from the defense and he also had to worry about the ball being snapped over his head every play.
Hopefully we will see less drama on snaps because my sphincter couldn't take a repeat of last year.

I also think Anu will win the job, but I think the competition is real and will be close. Anu has clear advantages in experience, composure, and game management, but Dawkins physical advantages are real. Dawkins will continue to improve at running the offense, but Anu isn't getting any faster, taller, or growing a better arm.

Dawkins will be a great back-up. This is the best 1, 2 QB situation we have had under Coach Rod.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catinfl wrote:Wrote an Article on the QB Competition and about how I think Anu will end up starting. Check it out if you guys get some time.

also had to worry about the ball being snapped over his head every play.

:lol:

Never understood RichRod's Tomey like loyalty to a SR player who often put the team in a deep hole.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Only three ways Anu doesn't start the first game.

1. Dead
2. Hurt
3. RR thinks it's funny to start Dawkins for the first series so he lights a forest fire under Anu's ass.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I saw Anu last week as he was walking to a workout at Sancet. He looks like he's been grinding this off season in the weight room.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Man, this forum needs a like button. Nice work.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Clutch work catinfl.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Nice job. Congrats. I had blocked this from memory, good Lord I hope we have a center:

"he also had to worry about the ball being snapped over his head every play."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AZDS does a story on Pro Football Focus's article rating Anu as an elite QB.

From the PFF article:
Although he appears to be in a pre-season battle for the starting position, QB Anu Solomon was clearly Arizona’s best player last year, and has the ninth-highest returning passing grade in FBS this season (No. 1 in the Pac-12). He was at his best on intermediate passes in 2015, as he was 36-of-57 for nine touchdowns and just one interception on throws between 11 and 20 yards downfield. He also produced extremely well against the blitz, throwing seven touchdowns to just one interception.

I didn't realize his passing rating was so high. Now if we can just keep him upright and snap the ball to his hands on every play.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Roll right....throw. Roll right.....throw. Lather....rinse....repeat.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ANGCatFan wrote:

Nice job! I look forward to seeing more of your writing at AZDS. My favorite paragraph from your article:
The 2015 season was an interesting one to say the least. Anu got absolutely no help from the defense and he also had to worry about the ball being snapped over his head every play.
Hopefully we will see less drama on snaps because my sphincter couldn't take a repeat of last year.

I also think Anu will win the job, but I think the competition is real and will be close. Anu has clear advantages in experience, composure, and game management, but Dawkins physical advantages are real. Dawkins will continue to improve at running the offense, but Anu isn't getting any faster, taller, or growing a better arm.

Dawkins will be a great back-up. This is the best 1, 2 QB situation we have had under Coach Rod.
Thanks everyone for the compliments, but yes I think Dawkins will be a good back-up. I have never really felt comfortable with our number 2 option till this year.