2014 season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azthrillhouse

Re: 2014 season

Post by azthrillhouse »

ANGCatFan wrote:ESPN pac12 blog posts some odds today
To win the PAC 12 championship
Oregon 6/5, UCLA 4/1, Stanford 5/1, USC 5/1, Arizona State 6/1, Washington 14/1, Arizona 25/1, Washington State 25/1, Oregon State 33/1, Utah 66/1, California 100/1 and Colorado 100/1.

To win their division
North: Oregon 1/2, Stanford 3/1, Washington 6/1, Washington State 12/1, Oregon State 14/1, Cal 50/1.
South: UCLA 3/2, Arizona State 2/1, USC 2/1, Arizona 10/1, Utah 33/1, Colorado 50/1

To win the national championship
Oregon 8/1, UCLA 16/1, USC 25/1, Stanford 33/1, Arizona State 66/1, Arizona 100/1, Washington 100/1, Oregon State 200/1 and California 500/1. No bets are available for Utah, Colorado, or Washington State.

Seems about right. ASU & USC seem a smidge overrated compared to us, but when I take off my red & blue glasses I remember that we have big question marks at QB, RB, and LB, so it's almost surprising that Vegas thinks as highly of us as they do.

p.s. Ang I hope you are right about no bad losses....that would be a first, though.
jollything

Post by jollything »

I don't think they are making a big enough deal about ASU's defense losing a lot of talent, especially in an offense happy PAC.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

jollything wrote:I don't think they are making a big enough deal about ASU's defense losing a lot of talent, especially in an offense happy PAC.
I agree, but given that they won more by outscoring people last year and have most of the key offensive weapons back, I could see where the pundits could look past their defense taking a big step back. It's not like they are Stanford and won by shutting people down.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

For me I think the game against ASSU will be for third in the division and we just can't afford a third loss to CTG so I beleive we finish third in the South

I think we have the lowest chance of beating UCLA (especially on the road) so my choice of upsets will be USC. We typically play well against them anyway so I expect a real shootout.

Utah worries me because it is in front of the ASSU game so they would be the team i think we could stub our toe on. As for the QB, I really have no clue but I would love to see Solomon be a four year starter
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

[youtube]1YY-xP991ig[/youtube]
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Love it, love it, love it. Go RichRod and go cats. Whay not Arizona. Who wouldn't want to play for AZ, come on down Kahlil McKenzieb
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:For me I think the game against ASSU will be for third in the division and we just can't afford a third loss to CTG so I beleive we finish third in the South

I think we have the lowest chance of beating UCLA (especially on the road) so my choice of upsets will be USC. We typically play well against them anyway so I expect a real shootout.

Utah worries me because it is in front of the ASSU game so they would be the team i think we could stub our toe on. As for the QB, I really have no clue but I would love to see Solomon be a four year starter
yeah i think us and asu could both be like 7-4 and like 4-4 or 5-3 in conference going into that game. that game will decide 3rd and who goes to the sun bowl possibly.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
jollything

Post by jollything »

azthrillhouse wrote:
jollything wrote:I don't think they are making a big enough deal about ASU's defense losing a lot of talent, especially in an offense happy PAC.
I agree, but given that they won more by outscoring people last year and have most of the key offensive weapons back, I could see where the pundits could look past their defense taking a big step back. It's not like they are Stanford and won by shutting people down.

Even so, with last years defense they were able to keep the opponents offense from scoring it was much easier to outscore them. When opposing teams start scoring more this year they may have to play catch up rather than keep away, and that seems like a much more difficult prospect with the pac getting better every year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

asu and washington state are going to have to win most of their games like 42-35 this year, shootouts in most of them.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

ASU's defense will undoubtedly take a big step back, (especially because a few key recruits are rumored to be at risk of not qualifying). That said, their offense will be even more dangerous then it was last year. The the receiving corps, and O-line in particular, will be improved. So yes they will have to outscore everyone, but there are very few teams I think have the capability of keeping up should they get on a roll.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

UAEebs86 wrote:Jarrett Mitchell, walk-on RB from Okinawa joins team:

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2014/7 ... is-college
Great article, I'll be rooting for him come the fall.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Jarrett Mitchell, walk-on RB from Okinawa joins team:

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2014/7 ... is-college

Something Ka'Deem could only dream about:

where he recorded a time of 10.84 in the 100 meter dash
The Texas chapter of SB Nation with an update on Mitchell.
Kubasaki held its 2014 graduation in the 2nd week of June, and soon afterwards Mitchell flew to the U.S. and got to visit the UA campus for the first time. He plans to enroll at Arizona for the fall semester and will attempt to make the football team as a walk-on. Whether the coaching staff is yet aware of him is unclear. Both Mitchell and Kubasaki High's head football coach Fred Bales made attempts to email the UA coaches to let them know of his background and interest in playing football while attending the school, but received no response. While in Tucson for freshman orientation in June, Mitchell attempted to visit the football offices but was told the coaches were not present, and that he should come back in early August when walk-on packets will be ready to be picked up.
Strange that our staff hasn't been in contact with Mitchell. Looks like he will still be at U of A, but I would hate to lose this guy due to neglect.

Stranger still, why has Burnt Orange Nation put out 2 major articles on a U of A walk-on that our local guys have never mentioned?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's getting to Mike Stoops level of ignoring players.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

SB Nation PAC12 video preview. Nothing new, but it kills time until football season.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Anthony Gimino Picked Arizona 4th in South:

UCLA
USC
ASU
UA
Utah
CU

Oregon 1st in North and to win Pac12

http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/photos ... est-071614

Steve Rivera Picked Arizona to finish 3rd Pac 12 South (Ahead of ASU) FoxSportsAZ

UCLA
USC
UA
ASU
Utah
CU

Picked Ore. first in North. UCLA to Pac12

http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/photos ... est-071614
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

SBNation released their very detailed preview of Arizona's 2014 football guide: "Speed Kills and the Wildcats have it: Fun and Dangerous.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ule-roster

Edit/Update: Note on this preview for some reason SBN thinks Tevis departed, Wharton still on roster and Grandon is Grandson (typo). maybe other
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:SBNation released their very detailed preview of Arizona's 2014 football guide: "Speed Kills and the Wildcats have it: Fun and Dangerous.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ule-roster
Not a lot to disagree with there (other than Tevis still being here and Wharton not).

The overall narrative is probably accurate - we're getting better, we're in good hands with RR, but damn the competition is tough.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And this has seriously irked me going back to the Stoops era:

In his last five seasons as a head coach (2008-10, 2012-13), Rich Rodriguez has been in charge of only one decent special teams unit -- his 2009 Michigan unit ranked 44th. At Arizona, his units have ranked 93rd (2012) and 106th (2013).

yet:

3. The world's first 6-QB formation
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Bill Connelly of Football Outsiders is doing this series, and I've been waiting for him to get to Arizona. Lots of good stuff. Even beyond the sabermetric-y stats, common sense things that don't show up elsewhere.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Merkin wrote:And this has seriously irked me going back to the Stoops era:

In his last five seasons as a head coach (2008-10, 2012-13), Rich Rodriguez has been in charge of only one decent special teams unit -- his 2009 Michigan unit ranked 44th. At Arizona, his units have ranked 93rd (2012) and 106th (2013).

yet:

Seems like good kickers gravitate to terrible teams. I seem to remember kicking being the highlight of those early Stoops years (didn't we have a Ray Guy or Lou Groza finalist one year?) then once UA started winning, terrible all of a sudden.

As far as returning for TDs or blocking punts/kicks, has there been a season with more than one each since Tomey?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Big SBNation article previewing Arizona.

Here are the major sections (because I thought they were clever and appropriate) and the conclusion.
1. The world's quietest turnaround
2. The world's weirdest November
4. A plug-and-play run game
5. The world's most sudden talent upgrade
6. Speed kills
7. Opening a new box of defensive linemen
8. Just give this secondary a little bit of help
9. A special teams mess
10. Somewhere between tough out and South sleepers

It takes three "ifs" to turn Arizona into a sleeper in the Pac-12 South:

If the new starting quarterback can one-up B.J. Denker.
If the new stable of running backs can follow blocks well.
If the defensive line doesn't become a total liability.

Austin Hill's return, combined with lovely coaching, a well-seasoned offensive line, and another potentially great secondary, assures that Arizona will be pretty good, certainly good enough to beat the six teams projected 64th or worse on the schedule (or go 5-1 in those games and pull an upset) and send the Wildcats bowling again. (It will also be good enough to have won the division in 2011, but things change.)

With Arizona State, Washington, and USC all coming to Tucson, UA could do quite a bit of damage if it figures out how to improve once more. I don't expect that, but I didn't really expect it last year either.

Arizona's progress is worth watching. The Wildcats weren't as far along as ASU in 2013 and certainly aren't recruiting at a UCLA level, but the South balance of power appears to be in flux enough that if Rodriguez keeps putting top-25 teams on the field and recruiting well, the Wildcats could break through and win a division title at some point.

That point won't be 2014, but Arizona's fun and dangerous enough to watch regardless.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

combined with lovely coaching

Bet RichRod is glad to hear he is a lovely coach.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ESPN's Ted Miller on Arizona:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... witterfeed

Previewing the 2014 season for the Arizona Wildcats:

2013 record: 8-5, 4-5 in Pac-12; beat Boston College 42-19 in AdvoCare V100 Bowl

Final grade for 2013: B. Back-to-back eight-win seasons and bowl victories are a good start for Rich Rodriguez, but the Wildcats are 0-2 against Arizona State in the Territorial Cup under Rodriguez and they need to take another step up in the Pac-12 pecking order.

Key returnees: WR Austin Hill, OT Mickey Baucus, OT Fabbians Ebbele, LB Scooby Wright, S Jared Tevis

Key losses: RB Ka'Deem Carey, LB Jake Fischer, LB Marquis Flowers

Instant impact newcomers: WR DaVonte Neal, WR Cayleb Jones, RB Nick Wilson, LB Jamardre Cobb

Projected winning percentage (ESPN.com Stats & Information): .548

Chances to win the conference (ESPN.com Stats & Information): 1.1 percent

Most important game: vs. Arizona State, Nov. 28

Biggest question mark: The Wildcats are the Pac-12's most uncertain team at quarterback.

Best-case scenario: 10-3

Worst-case scenario: 5-7

Over/under win total (Bovada): 6½

Upset special: USC visits Oct. 11. That could be a separation game for both in the South.

They said it: "Everybody is going to ask about the quarterbacks. I could be coy and tell you I don't know but I really do know. The truth is I really don't know. We'll figure that out." -- coach Rich Rodriguez
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Over/under is 6.5? I would have guessed it to be 7.5.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat wrote:Over/under is 6.5? I would have guessed it to be 7.5.
I'll take the over.
jollything

Post by jollything »

OSUCat wrote:Over/under is 6.5? I would have guessed it to be 7.5.
I think we are being underestimated this year, and ASU is being overrated. Maybe it's a little bulletin board material for them this year, a little extra motivation.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

At 6.5, I'd take the over too.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

6 wins would be a significant failure. Basically that would mean we would lose to every team that is currently ranked above us (Oregon, UCLA, USC, ASU, UW) and win only one of the two roadies against Utah and WSU. (assuming 5 wins vs. UNLV, UTSA, Nevada, Cal, and Rado). That's plausible but unlikely - I'll definitely take the over.

As Jolly said...it's definitely better to be underestimated.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

In Pac12, a likely scenario (other combos, *likely*) team needs 7/8 wins for a shot at a winning conference record.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

I would take the over and I get why Ted Miller and others have us where they do because they don't know who will play QB and we lost KaDeem. They will know how far off they are once the season begins and they see once again that RR knows how to coach QB's and get him ready to go.

I know this isn't a premium site and all of that but somebody like me still has to be careful what he puts out there as it's a public forum where anybody can take a peek. It's not worth pissing off folks who look closely at this stuff and start to wonder where you got your info etc. If that sounds like BS to some then all I can say is sorry you feel that way.

That being said, I know it's only been 2 practices and I know they're playing in shorts and no pads, but we will win more than 6.5 easily. The biggest talk through camp thus far is that our QB situation will be fine and how there's no way any team has enough quality DB's to cover all of our WR's. That's no joke either. You're talking a lot of very talented players out there at one position.

Everybody knew that we could be great at the WR position but until you get them out there you really never know. Nobody has 4 guys that can match-up with Hill (especially if he's in the slot) Jones, Neal and insert any number of guys for the 4th and 5th spot - Phillips, Griffey, Grant, Richards, et al.

Randall's overall accuracy is nowhere near as bad as people thought it was based on his JC stats. So throw that stuff out the window as he can complete passes just fine. He runs like a RB so imagine for a second what he can do in the read option with another RB to pitch it too?

Anu is doing what he does best which is make plays. Anu has an incredible knack or touch for putting the ball in a tight window where only his guy can catch it. I think he only gets better as Fall camp moves on.

Not much you can say about the RB situation as you're basically playing 2 hand touch out there without pads on so you can't really judge one RB over another.

Again, it's only been 2 practices but my guess is we go 2 QB's for the whole season as both are strong where the other isn't. Meaning Anu throws a better deep ball but JR is a much better runner. Doesn't mean that Anu can't run and JR can't pass it means that you're playing to your strength depending on the situation.

Not to mention that RR could make an opposing D spend a lot of time on defending not only the read option but the triple option where you have to be very disciplined in your assignments. How do you not throw that out there each and every game to make a DC go crazy? Last add, anybody who thinks that Anu can't run and or JR can't pass will find out first hand in a game. Can't wait to see this live and in person at the stadium!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Great stuff DC! Thanks
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

2014 College Football Conference Predictions

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... redictions

P.S. Who's this Fornelli guy?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think we will be so freaking explosive on offense that this will be a very entertaining year.

Just need to execute on the road and get some good wins
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:P.S. Who's this Fornelli guy?
I was thinking, "This Fornelli guy doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground", and then I got to the Pac-12 South and now he's the bestest football writer EVER!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

He picked us to win the south last year.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:Great stuff DC! Thanks
Hmm....and not a word about Scroggins in that telling post. Thanks dc!
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

BearDown89 wrote:
Thanks Chi Cat and BD89.

He's struggling and I didn't see a reason to beat on the kid. Granted it's just the 2nd practice and they're playing in shorts but at the same time you're expected to make plays.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

dc4azcats wrote: I know this isn't a premium site and all of that but somebody like me still has to be careful what he puts out there as it's a public forum where anybody can take a peek. It's not worth pissing off folks who look closely at this stuff and start to wonder where you got your info etc. If that sounds like BS to some then all I can say is sorry you feel that way.
I take it this might be in response to some comments in the Bondurant thread - it doesn't sound like B.S. to me, I appreciate the nuggets even when they have to be couched or veiled. We should all keep in mind that people that are "in the know" need to protect their relationships with their sources. Additionally, we have to recognize that airing dirty laundry of the program in a public (albeit not easily discovered) forum like this almost never benefits the player or the program. I'm curious too, but I'll get over it. :-)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dc4azcats wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Thanks Chi Cat and BD89.

He's struggling and I didn't see a reason to beat on the kid. Granted it's just the 2nd practice and they're playing in shorts but at the same time you're expected to make plays.

How does Brewer look DC since he also did not get a mention.

Do you think RR is going to platoon Randall and Solomon?

Great post btw.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:
How does Brewer look DC since he also did not get a mention.

Do you think RR is going to platoon Randall and Solomon?

Great post btw.
Thanks Merk and I have heard next to nothing in regards to Brewer. He's a steady guy and again it's not a knock on either guy but he's our Bryson B. He knows the offense and he knows where to go with the ball etc. He doesn't wow you with anything that he does and he also doesn't hurt you either.

I do think he platoons them for at least the first 4 games or so but that is pure speculation on my part or anybody else's at this point.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc, just the type of thing to hear that helps a case of the Mondays. Having watched this rebuild I know this team is better than the pundits think, even though I've got nothing else to go on than everyone else. When you see what RR has done with this team despite having to hold things together with duct tape and baling wire the first two seasons, imagine what he can do once he gets his guys in the program.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We need a fucking countdown clock!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azgreg wrote:We need a fucking countdown clock!
Well embedding didn't work (couldn't figure out)

http://www.tickcounter.com/countdown/20 ... 23BeatUNLV
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

No more Sun Tran
We know that many of you are excited for the beginning of football season on Friday, Aug. 29, when we host UNLV at Arizona Stadium and I’m sure you’re making plans with your family and friends on how you will travel to and from the games, including where you will park.

In an effort to try and minimize any confusion, we are in the process of creating an Arizona Athletics Parking Information page, which can be found at arizonawildcats.com/parking. We will continue to make updates to this area for all of our sports in hopes that Arizona fans will have a one-stop-shop for all their parking needs. I want to encourage you to bookmark or visit that page regularly over the next couple of weeks as we continue to finalize the information on that page.

One new option for traveling to games in 2014 that we would recommend is the use of the Sun Link Streetcar, which started operating at the end of July. Fans can park in the existing garages that aren’t used by the UA on game day and buy a $4 day pass for unlimited rides to and from the game.

Sun Link expects to have six cars operating, each capable of holding 150 passengers, and they estimate the time between a car departing a stop and the next one arriving to be about 10 minutes during peak hours. If you choose to ride the streetcar and use the Cherry/Warren stop, which is closest to Arizona Stadium, you can expect to get from campus to downtown in about 15-20 minutes. For more information on the Sun Link Streetcar, click HERE, and for more info on parking options along the streetcar route, click HERE.

We will again be offering the Cat Cruiser option for our fans in Phoenix, which will be discussed in our section below on our efforts in the Valley. Click HERE to make your reservation.

There will be one important change for this year. Unfortunately, the Sun Tran shuttle service will not be available in 2014. We have tried to work with Sun Tran and private carriers to develop a game day charter system that would benefit our fans in a convenient and cost effective way. Due to circumstances that are out of our control, we were unable to work out a solution for the 2014 season.

Arizona Athletics is continuing to work with our on-campus Parking and Transportation department to develop a campus shuttle system specifically for game day that would provide service from west campus lots to a drop-off point immediately south of the stadium. We will provide updates on this element as those discussions advance.

We know that many of you have used the Sun Tran shuttles in the past and we’re extremely disappointed that the service won’t be available this year. We will continue to explore options that will make traveling to and from games as easy as possible for you.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Only two more weekends without CFB! That's how I've been counting it down anyhow.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Got a real shot of taking the son down to Tucson for a game after UNLV.

Maybe USC, and the rivalry game this year. Where is everyone sitting?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

USAToday #26

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /13827291/

This is the guy, Paul Myerberg, that dc said he liked best in terms of thorough breakdowns.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Can't really argue with any of that. Great writeup (though the random top 5 list in the middle smacks of imitating Bill Simmons' worst traits).
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I would agree, although Myerberg does overrate Scroggins and the running back depth a tad and undervalue the performance of special teams. Not sure why he counts out Randall so readily.

Field goal kickers win, or lose, at least one to two games a year for every D-I program. The program needs a better one and also not make us nervous, with Drew Riggleman punting, on those occasions the offense faces a fourth down inside its own 20.