Larry Scott

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Larry Scott

Post by PHXCATS »

U of A basketball has by far the best travel schedule so I think it is just circumstances with the football times.

This is all men's basketball for the four road trips in conference play.

U of A two two day trips two three day trips no Sunday away
ASSU two two day trips two three day trips one Sunday away
Colorado two two day trips two three day trips one Sunday away
Utah one two day trip three three day trips four Sunday away
UCLA three two day trips one three day trip two Sunday away
USC two two day trips two three day trips four Sunday away
Cal one two day trip two three day trip one four day trip two Sunday away
Stanford two two day trips one three day trip one four day trip one Sunday away
Oregon State same as Stanford
Oregon two two day trips two three day trips two Sunday away
WSU two two day trips one three day trip one four day trip two Su day away
Washington two two day trips one three day trip one four day trip one Sunday away

TV and the conferences work so hard to screw UA football but give UA basketball the best? Don't think so
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote: Would this tweet also be described as selective? I find it pretty apparent the discrepancy with scheduling that we are handed, I just hope it doesn't end up costing us our coach. I find it even more disturbing that this only started around the time that Miller called out the Pac 12 for being crooked, or maybe I just love a good conspiracy.
Not sure yet. Researching it. So far it doesn't seem out of line with rest of league. Facts are facts. People can still think AZ handled differently than others in league. Some are because National TV networks don't pick them to be on their airwaves. Others are , because of their TV Markets.

I'm looking for the conspiracy. In the shared tweet, it doesn't offer if that's different than rest of league or not. So far it "seems" conspiracy with the National TV networks. But I'm still researching.
There are only so many open window for the TV networks due to being on the west coast and other conference contracts that have better viewership. It isn't like the pac12 only has one night game a week and it is always UA when they are away from home.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Sure most people know... Not sure the message they're trying to portray. My interpretation because using Under RR or to AZ only, I read between the lines that they feel a recent conspiracy or maybe picking on AZ or why AZ has injuries etc. Maybe building a case. I'm just guessing because that's how I'm taking the message.

Of course, between 2005-2011 Pac12 was under a different TV contract. As I mentioned before, there were games then not on TV and no need to negotiate some games with an ESPN or FOX for TV slot. Versus was around. So was FOXAZ, KGUN, some ESPN, FCS, ABC

Not seeing an apples to apples comparison to gauge since 2012 (RR started AZ and new TV contract kicked in)

2005 (3) conf games not on TV
2006 (4)
2007 (2)
2008 (2)

There were other non-conference games also not on TV
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bingo Razer.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Some of this is being done for the public. One thing is the school saying "it's not just you, it did used to be different" and the other thing is "hey, we're still fighting this." Of course RR would love to have some better scheduling but people have been asking Byrne what is up with the game times. Win or lose on this, they don't want to be seen as doing nothing.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'm sure Byrne wants to support his head coach, but of all the U of A conspiracies to push for credibility, day game scheduling probably stretches it the most.

Even if there are a disproportionate number of 1-2 p.m. starts compared to other conference schools, that is a conclusion in search of a hypothesis.

The real curiosity here is, what sort of detrimental effect are the coaches contending that game time scheduling has had on the program? Attendance and recruiting?

If so, that dog won't hunt. How do Big Ten and Big East schools recruit out West when their families have to wake up at 8 a.m. for even creampuff non-cons? What compels cross-country trips for such early games?

I'm no fan of Scott myself, but this scheduling is all about market share, and until L.A. gets swept into the ocean and Phoenix burns up, Tucson is going to be second little brother, at best.

Mike Price overcame this in the Palouse to get two Rose Bowl appearances. When Utah can do it to straight-laced Salt Lake, what's going to be the excuse from Tucson then?

I remember my mid-90s sunburns in the student section from UCLA and Wazzu games. Price you pay for going after the big prize.

Why not work it for home field advantage, like they tried to do with the warning sign before the Bruins game this year, instead of complaining about it when the results don't go in your favor?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

catgrad97 wrote:I remember my mid-90s sunburns in the student section from UCLA and Wazzu games.
I remember the old NEZ bleachers. Those were aluminum and reflected the sun in the southern sky directly on you like one of those silver things suntanners used to use. It was brutal.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Just to follow-up on Blair Willis scheduling tweets yesterday.
For @ArizonaFBall, 6 of last 10 home Pac-12 games have been 1:30 pm or earlier starts, while 7 of last 10 roadies
have been 6 pm or later.

Under @CoachRodAZ, Cats have played eight home conference games at 1:30 pm or earlier. Only three such games on
the road.
And the conspiracy theories or TV Contract or how it stacks up against rest of Pac12 etc.

I only bothered with rest of Pac12 AND their Conference road games (as mentioned in tweets). Both the last 10 as Blair referenced AND since 2012 (under RR or since new ESPN/FOX contract).

Last 10 roadies includes couple future road dates already scheduled and TV/time assigned. Also used same criteria for 1:30pm or earlier conference road games: Does NOT include conference championship game.

As Blair tweeted:
AZ
Last 10 road = (7) games after 6pm
Before 1:30pm since 2012 = (3)

ASU:
Last 10 road = (5) games after 6pm
Before 1:30pm since 2012 = (5)

CAL
Last 10 road = (8) games after 6pm
Before 1:30pm since 2012 = (1)

CU
Last 10 road = (4) games after 6pm
Before 1:30pm since 2012 = (5)

ORE
Last 10 road = (7) games after 6pm
Before 1:30pm since 2012 = (4)

OSU
Before 1:30pm since 2012 = (6)

STAN

USC
Last 10 road = (6) games after 6pm
Before 1:30pm since 2012 = (6)

UCLA
Last 10 road = (3) games after 6pm
Before 1:30pm since 2012 = (3)

UTAH

WASH
Last 10 road = (5) games after 6pm

WSU
Last 10 road = (2) games after 6pm
Before 1:30pm since 2012 = (9) **all but two on P12N
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The complicated case of the Pac-12 Networks

High-end programming meets promises, but revenue, distribution lag

By Michael Smith & John Ourand

Published November 30, 2015

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... Pac12.aspx

The Pac-12 Networks’ first three years have been defined by distribution difficulties and revenue shortcomings that have conference leaders wondering whether they should stick with the unusual structure of one national channel and six regional channels.

Within the last few weeks, conference athletic directors created three committees that will examine cost-cutting measures, game start times and how the Pac-12’s media revenue stacks up against other college conferences.

Also, the Pac-12 hired investment banking firm Lazard this year to determine a valuation for the networks and study alternative business models, sources said, including the potential for taking on equity investors.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

For the equity partner, a hypothetical;

1. Choose ESPN and figure however people get sports in the future, ESPN will be the nearly-single source by continuing to outbid all competitors.
2. Broadcast TV competitor like FOX or NBC. B1G Network is owned by FOX, so there could be some sort of tie-in/more crossover games.
3. Be the guinea pig for a Netflix or Amazon (hypothetical) big move into live sports.
_______FOX/ESPN deal still in place next 8 years, so we're only talking about the 3rd tier games for now.
_______P12 would have instant worldwide coverage, no more missed 1st quarters, etc.
_______The home teams could set their own schedule, at least until other Saturday sports jump on the bandwagon,
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I call BS on Wilner. No way the SEC at 37M per school only had increased revenue at 33%. We were supposed to get about 20M per school but I have heard we are no way close to that. Scott screwed this thing up royal and yet he makes only 10% less than Slive. Corrupt to the core
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:I call BS on Wilner. No way the SEC at 37M per school only had increased revenue at 33%. We were supposed to get about 20M per school but I have heard we are no way close to that. Scott screwed this thing up royal and yet he makes only 10% less than Slive. Corrupt to the core
The Pac immediately responded to Wilner and said his projections for their revenue were "too conservative". His response, "Perhaps, but I was also conservative with SEC & B1G #s".

Sorry Larry, but you suck a dead dog's dick at your job.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yep, schools get billed for supporting the PAC-12 network since there no co-sponsors, besides no Directv deal. The SEC network has ESPN as a co-sponsor.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

What has Larry Scott done that is so remarkable? I mean, the Pac's TV contract was up right when Scott arrived. Talk about a golden opportunity. Closing your eyes and throwing a dart at a wall was going to land the Pac something much better than they already had. It's not as though Scott turned things around. The table was set for a big feast for the Pac and Scott essentially served up some comfort food for the Pac's members, not a gourmet meal.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Scott has added no value to the PAC-12.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... oma-at-33/" target="_blank

Pac-12 woes
Don't assume the Big 12 is going to break up when its media contract expires in 2025. That's because the Pac-12 continues to fall further behind its Power Five brethren in revenue.
You can see the recently released numbers. What's more troubling is the Pac-12 returned only 70 percent of its revenue to its 12 schools.
That's by far the smallest percentage among the Power Five. Costs of building out a new headquarters in San Francisco and maintaining a large staff get the biggest blame.
Who's to say the Big 12 at some point doesn't reach out and try to snag, say, Arizona and Arizona State? More money for them and if that's enough to keep Texas and Oklahoma, why not?
How did he possibly get an extension?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/20/pac-12/" target="_blank

The networks have been a disaster. Every single time I watch something, I see those PAC Profiles and I am so annoyed. Just stupid time fillers that would be ad buys if Larry Scott knew what he was doing.

Got to get on DTV no matter what. Way too greedy. Lower the cost to subscribers across the board and get DTV on. Reduce costs by breaking the lease and/or subleasing the studio and office and move to Las Vegas, Phoenix, or anywhere else in the footprint with cheaper office and media space. Reduced costs plus added viewers for ads will make up for the reduced subscription fees.

I was at a talk with GB before and he asked not to repeat any of this but he is gone now so it should be okay. He didnt say it but he HATES Scott and he asked Scott and TV networks for a favor one time with scheduling and the TV guy said Scott wouldn't allow it. Also trashed the expensive offices and network studios at the networks.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I hope he is drowned out by boos while Machina's cracking voice is screaming at the bad fans to stop.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

What a wuss. Gets his Arizona visit out of the way while lost in the crowd of a football game. Money says he'll never show up where he can easily be identified, like at a basketball game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That is so true. He is not only corrupt but he is gutless as well. Such a POS.
prh

Post by prh »

Hey it's not just us. Chris Peterson is upset about the late kickoff times too.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

How the hell did this guy get extended a little over a year ago? Fire this guy already PAC-12 Presidents
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote: How the hell did this guy get extended a little over a year ago? Fire this guy already PAC-12 Presidents
Guy is fucking worthless
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote: How the hell did this guy get extended a little over a year ago? Fire this guy already PAC-12 Presidents
Why correct a mistake when you can just double and triple down on it?

- Pac12 School Presidents
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PAC-12 presidents don't know squat about sports, all they can about is academic prestige. Remember how clueless UA's Ann Weaver about UA's sports programs? She was very good at lining her pockets though.

Look at the debacle of the Cal football stadium. That mistake will cost that school for decades.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:PAC-12 presidents don't know squat about sports, all they can about is academic prestige. Remember how clueless UA's Ann Weaver about UA's sports programs? She was very good at lining her pockets though.

Look at the debacle of the Cal football stadium. That mistake will cost that school for decades.
FWIW the Cal chancellor is the only one I've seen so far call out Larry Scott publicly.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Larry Scott finally does something right
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't imagine anyone being that interesting in LA, but LV sure thing! Hopefully no construction delays.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Larry's misses: not getting Pac12 network on Directv; negotiating crap tv contracts so we've been relegated to late night irrelevant viewing, failure to control costs or grow revenue, letting tv networks ruin our conference by pretty much eliminating the day game in football and basketball. Outside AZ games from Sept to mid Oct, all other PAC 12 football games should be day games other than maybe a marquee weekly conference game or two per at night. Actively agitating pretty much every fan base of every team so that attendance has dwindled league wide to nothing outside us in bball and Oregon in football.

Other than all that Larry, pretty great tenure.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sounds like time for another contract extension.

Signed,
The PAC-12 presidents
-JB
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Larry's misses: not getting Pac12 network on Directv; negotiating crap tv contracts so we've been relegated to late night irrelevant viewing, failure to control costs or grow revenue, letting tv networks ruin our conference by pretty much eliminating the day game in football and basketball. Outside AZ games from Sept to mid Oct, all other PAC 12 football games should be day games other than maybe a marquee weekly conference game or two per at night. Actively agitating pretty much every fan base of every team so that attendance has dwindled league wide to nothing outside us in bball and Oregon in football.

Other than all that Larry, pretty great tenure.
You clearly don't understand how TV works
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

That's just the thing I don't go for. On the West coast we are to believe that we have to be on at night. There is no such universal law in the universe. Football fan bases are built up with day game football and tailgating. Sure, ESPN wants to slot us at night because that's where the opening in their scheduling is. By agreeing to be exclusive late night conference, we're pretty much saying we're not good enough to be on daytime TV or draw eyeballs. Back in the day I used to watch pac12 stuff all the time when it was on daytime in the Midwest. Big Ten football is what it is because they don't force their fans to watch all their games after 7 pm. Larry sold us down the river on a boat to the first takers who offered late nights slots and control our entire TV programming until around 2026. Next regime needs to reassess our TV slotting (and by then Internet streaming) or else we're doomed to eternal "Pac 12 After Dark" mediocrity. That slogan in and of itself is not something our conference should be bragging about for its overall health and competitiveness for both eyeballs on a screen and recruits on the field.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We were a daytime football conference in the 90s and early 2000s. Only changed when Larry Scott came in. I remember going to home day games 3-4 times a year in 2004-2007. At least 4-5 pm kickoffs, if not 1230-130 pm. We never had games after 730 and we seemingly only had like 2 home games a year at like 7 pm. The rest were between 1230-5.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If you are a good enough conference, you play when you want. If our pathetic channel is dictating the times, that is one more reason to can his sorry ass
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

To play more day games you need one of two things to happen. 1) out draw on TV ratings the Big 12 Big Ten SEC and ACC 2) find a new TV partner. There is no chance of you dont do one of those two. 1 will never happen 2 will result in far less revenue for the conference
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:To play more day games you need one of two things to happen. 1) out draw on TV ratings the Big 12 Big Ten SEC and ACC 2) find a new TV partner. There is no chance of you dont do one of those two. 1 will never happen 2 will result in far less revenue for the conference
You sign with a major network that has deals with every other major conference and they're going to base every thing off time zones as any smart business would. The Pac 12 took the FOX/ESPN deal for about 15-20 million more total than NBC offered. In retrospect we should've taken less money and rolled with NBC. I don't trust Larry to make the right decision if he's in charge when we negotiate our new contract.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 9064597345" target="_blank

Just some startling numbers after the buy back of the local distribution by the schools. Peanuts to each of them over the 6 years. Scott needs to be fired as the president of the channel and hire someone who can get this thing right. If they want to pay him to be a commissioner, so be it. Wait much longer and we might be a forgotten P5 conference
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

According to an internal projection provided to USA Today last year, the Pac-12 will distribute $38 million to its members in 2023 — which sounds incredible if you’re still living in 2010, but is absolutely distressing when you remember the Big Ten distributed $51 million last year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Also in Larry Scott is fucking worthless news...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I would blame Larry, but at this point his bullshit reign of ineptitude and grift falls squarely on the shoulders of the schools.

Fire this asshole immediately or enjoy being a mid-major conference no one gives a shit about. Up to you school presidents.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Also in Larry Scott is fucking worthless news...
Larry Scott's game plan for the Pac-12 is a personal trickle down system. It just needs to continue for a few more years and.....you'll see.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:I would blame Larry, but at this point his bullshit reign of ineptitude and grift falls squarely on the shoulders of the schools.

Fire this asshole immediately or enjoy being a mid-major conference no one gives a shit about. Up to you school presidents.
if we aren't already there then at the rate we're going within three years the pac-12 will absolutely be a mid-major conference in all sports. We certainly don't belong having any team in the college football playoff less they're 13-0.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's just a grifter at this point.

Shame on the university presidents for allowing this to continue.
-JB
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Absolutely...the university presidents are totally complicit in this.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Absolutely...the university presidents are totally complicit in this.
They're more than complicit, they could literally put a stop to it at any fucking time. Instead we sit here with two presidents at two of the weaker schools (ASU & OSU) literally being unable to admit that they were wrong and the other 10 presidents lacking a spine to tell them the very same. I've seen bad business decisions in my lifetime, but this is just the worst.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fuck Crow, he needs to get off Scott's knob.

Cal Chancellor Carol Christ is really upset with Scott though, so it's not unanimous. Cal has that disastrous stadium deal and needs real money to pay for it.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Would it have to be an unanimous decision to fire him or something? I would think getting the majority on board would be easy (or should be)...