2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by azcat49 »

Bundage little bro took his trip to ASSU and Cayman went up with him. Talk about strange things.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catinfl wrote:
3goggles wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Tate was nearly a top 100 guy. Think he was like 112
RR has got to make Tate his top priority for this class! He needs to be in Tate's hip pocket until he enrolls
Luckily he signs in around ten days and is enrolling early.
Crazy shit can happen in 10 days he has been posting some weird stuff on Instagram lately
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azcat49 wrote:Bundage little bro took his trip to ASSU and Cayman went up with him. Talk about strange things.
Hopefully for little bundage to not fully enjoy the open legs!!!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catinfl wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:That Centennial offense is nuts
It really is. The QB is tiny and Taylor is tiny and they blow up every defense they come in contact with. who says smurfs can't get the job done.
Their last running back, Tre Watson out of Cal, had 3700 yards rushing his senior year. He averaged just about 250 yards a game and scored 50 rushing TD's that year.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

catinfl wrote:
whatisee wrote:JJ taylor will make everyone forget about Speights. Kid had 5 TD's vs St Johns Bosco last weekend when they upset the then #1
If he wasn't 5'7 he would be a major prospect. Grades also were a concern at one point but I think he cleaned that up. He got injured last year and that was a big reason for his lack of attention, but RR personally recruited him if that shows you how much the staff thinks of him.

222 Carries 1980 yards and 9.8 yards a carry 41 touchdowns with 141 Y/G

His stats are ridiculous.
Nate Phillips made a believer out of me @ 5'7". I see JJ in the slot possibly don't you? You would think Nick and Orlando will be a solid 1-2 punch next year
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PAC12 recruiting article by Scout. UA currently ranked 8th in PAC12.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/r ... tle-in-l-a" target="_blank

In Tucson – With Rich Rodriguez staying in Tucson after being pursued by a few schools, the Wildcats will bring a number of recruits in this weekend, key being the visit of their top commit, Michael Eletise, the West's top offensive guard from Honolulu (Hawaii) Kaiser. Corona (Calif.) Centennial running back J.J. Taylor has been dazzling all season and he has the week off before the Huskies play De La Salle in the CIF State Open Division title so he'll visit his future school this weekend as well. Utah commit Kahi Neves will be visiting Arizona this weekend too, the Wildcats still trying to flip him and Lorenzo Burns from Temecula (Calif.) Linfield is another uncommitted target visiting.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dmjcat wrote:PAC12 recruiting article by Scout. UA currently ranked 8th in PAC12.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/r ... tle-in-l-a" target="_blank

In Tucson – With Rich Rodriguez staying in Tucson after being pursued by a few schools, the Wildcats will bring a number of recruits in this weekend, key being the visit of their top commit, Michael Eletise, the West's top offensive guard from Honolulu (Hawaii) Kaiser. Corona (Calif.) Centennial running back J.J. Taylor has been dazzling all season and he has the week off before the Huskies play De La Salle in the CIF State Open Division title so he'll visit his future school this weekend as well. Utah commit Kahi Neves will be visiting Arizona this weekend too, the Wildcats still trying to flip him and Lorenzo Burns from Temecula (Calif.) Linfield is another uncommitted target visiting.
8th best recruiting class...not going to get it done. Lets hope Rich Rod and Co close on some big recruits to get the rankings up, rest of the usual suspects are doing well.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Looks like someone might have committed.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:Looks like someone might have committed.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

3* everywhere except ESPN which has him as a 4*
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

We are recruiting Neves as an LB, correct?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yes, a position of real need
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

whatisee wrote:
catinfl wrote:
whatisee wrote:JJ taylor will make everyone forget about Speights. Kid had 5 TD's vs St Johns Bosco last weekend when they upset the then #1
If he wasn't 5'7 he would be a major prospect. Grades also were a concern at one point but I think he cleaned that up. He got injured last year and that was a big reason for his lack of attention, but RR personally recruited him if that shows you how much the staff thinks of him.

Nate Phillips made a believer out of me @ 5'7". I see JJ in the slot possibly don't you? You would think Nick and Orlando will be a solid 1-2 punch next year
Out of Raynor, Taylor, Halimon, and Riley two of them will end up in the slot imo
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

catinfl wrote:
whatisee wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Out of Raynor, Taylor, Halimon, and Riley two of them will end up in the slot imo
I agree with you since both Grant and Phillips are seniors next year. I have yet to see any of the young guys inspire me with confidence to replace these guys when they're gone
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

whatisee wrote:
catinfl wrote:
whatisee wrote:
catinfl wrote:

I agree with you since both Grant and Phillips are seniors next year. I have yet to see any of the young guys inspire me with confidence to replace these guys when they're gone
Shun Brown, Jonathon Haden and Tyrell Johnson should be coming along next year too.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Shun was a disappointment but still a true freshmen so let's see how he performs next year. Haden is too small and Johnson has great speed but was injured

Wish we would recruit some size at WR. After next year we will have a bunch of midgets out there
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:Shun was a disappointment but still a true freshmen so let's see how he performs next year. Haden is too small and Johnson has great speed but was injured

Wish we would recruit some size at WR. After next year we will have a bunch of midgets out there
I'd like to see some size waiting in the wings at receiver... We have some guys that fit the bill but most (all?) the ones that fit that bill (at least the ones I am familiar with) will be gone by the end of next season.

As for the midgets, I'd like to see some burners out there, we have some little guys that are good players, but I find the speed that most of them display to be a good bit slower than advertised.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:Shun was a disappointment but still a true freshmen so let's see how he performs next year. Haden is too small and Johnson has great speed but was injured

That was one of the points of concern I remember Michigan fans pointing out to us when UA hired RichRod: "You'll never so many scholarship offers for 5'6" receivers."
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

After the 2016 season, we will not have a single scholarship WR on the roster over 6' other than potential true freshman we sign next year. You would think that would be a point of emphasis for the coaches this recruiting class. How big was Nkael Harry again? I heard his girlfriend goes to UofA.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:After the 2016 season, we will not have a single scholarship WR on the roster over 6' other than potential true freshman we sign next year. You would think that would be a point of emphasis for the coaches this recruiting class. How big was Nkael Harry again? I heard his girlfriend goes to UofA.
Just so long as they are OKG's... Nothing else matters. :roll:
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:After the 2016 season, we will not have a single scholarship WR on the roster over 6' other than potential true freshman we sign next year. You would think that would be a point of emphasis for the coaches this recruiting class. How big was Nkael Harry again? I heard his girlfriend goes to UofA.
Well yes and no, and either way silly. Any recruits this year wouldn't be true freshman after the 2016 year, so I'm not sure why there is an issue. If Arizona gets one this year and one next year there is zero problem.

now just FYI:
Mendivil, Abraham (RSo) 6'-1" WR
Mohamed, Mo (Fr) 6'-0" WR
O'Georgia, Bryant (So) 6'-0" WR

Those just an inch from the promise land of 6'.
Ellison, Tony (RFr) 5'-11" WR
Peterson, Cedric (Fr) 5'-11" Wr

Tight Ends might count:
All 5 6'-2" +
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Those guys over six feet are all walk ons. Sorry but Bryant ogeorgia (really that's his name) ain't never going to be a world beater for us.

Good lord the lengths to what posters will go to defend rich rods recruiting

Look at Caleb jones or Dave Richards. Both guys made catches at times simply due to their size. Criner was another guy who would catch balls due to his size and skill as well as Austin hill when healthy

Guys like Nate Phillips are great when combined with tall recievers. A team full of nate's no Bueno.

Just shocked this recruiting class does not have a tall WR in it
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:

I'd like to see some size waiting in the wings at receiver... We have some guys that fit the bill but most (all?) the ones that fit that bill (at least the ones I am familiar with) will be gone by the end of next season.

As for the midgets, I'd like to see some burners out there, we have some little guys that are good players, but I find the speed that most of them display to be a good bit slower than advertised.
I agree on the midgets shun and Haden did not show a ton of speed and I know Tyrell is fast but rarely shows it either though know he was hurt a lot.

I thought grant was a major disappointment this year as I expected big things after his play last year
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

OSUCat wrote:
Well yes and no, and either way silly. Any recruits this year wouldn't be true freshman after the 2016 year, so I'm not sure why there is an issue. If Arizona gets one this year and one next year there is zero problem.

now just FYI:

Tight Ends might count:
All 5 6'-2" +
Which of those three you listed is a scholarship WR? And we are in on a total of ZERO WR recruits in this class over 6', hence they would have to be in next recruiting class. The only WR I am aware of that we are still in on is Stovall, who is 5'8", but yes I agree it is silly.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

now just FYI:

Tight Ends might count:
All 5 6'-2" +
Which of those three you listed is a scholarship WR? And we are in on a total of ZERO WR recruits in this class over 6', hence they would have to be in next recruiting class. The only WR I am aware of that we are still in on is Stovall, who is 5'8", but yes I agree it is silly.
I think you guys that are skeptical forget that RR stated last year that he had signed the best group of walk-on's in the country. I assume his pre-occupation with them stems from the fact that he was one as a player.

As for the magic 6' threshold... I would not consider that tall - especially since most are listed as taller than they really are; a "tall" WR is at least a legit 6'2", and probably 6'3"+. If we cannot outrun DB's (we cannot), and we cannot get up and grab balls over them (which has happened a lot with out tall WR's the last few years), then how effective will our passing game be?

The point on TE's is potentially valid, but we need to use the ones we have first.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

There is one WR Arizona is working on that is bigger than 6'.

I just don't think this offense needs height at the WR. It is a bonus, but it has nothing to do with holding back the offense by any means. The biggest issue with this offense has been the offensive line (which looks from the past recruiting that it might be getting pretty good) and a healthy starting RB (With/without Wilson playing is light and day).

There are legit gripes about RR recruiting, I just don't think WR Height is one of them.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Like Harvey said, height isn't an issue if the smaller WRs can outrun the DBs, but they can't. I know Johnson has been hurt, but I thought him and Grant were suppose to be the fastest players on the team?

Believe 6'3" Cayleb Jones is the leading receiver on the team with 51 receptions. 6'4" Richards has 41. 5'7" Phillips also has 41. 5'9" Grant has 30.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Merkin wrote:Like Harvey said, height isn't an issue if the smaller WRs can outrun the DBs, but they can't. I know Johnson has been hurt, but I thought him and Grant were suppose to be the fastest players on the team?

Believe 6'3" Cayleb Jones is the leading receiver on the team with 51 receptions. 6'4" Richards has 41. 5'7" Phillips also has 41. 5'9" Grant has 30.
5' 10" Johnny Jackson has 50 catches, no?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Neves started playing LB his junior year. Has a great frame for it and Arizona has been in his ear for a long time about it, but he was being sold on being a QB at Utah. (Knows Scooby somehow, so that may have helped), The staff sold him on being a LB and he committed. Big news as he is a very good prospect at LB and he has the Spring camp to learn.

Jamie Nunley will be enrolling in the spring and that is a 6'5 receiver. I think RR would like to have big receivers, but it just hasn't worked out. Oregon only has one WR that starts that is over 6'0 so it's not like it's gonna make or break anything. Desmond Fitzpatrick is 6'2 and we are recruiting him at the moment.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fishclamps wrote:
Merkin wrote:Like Harvey said, height isn't an issue if the smaller WRs can outrun the DBs, but they can't. I know Johnson has been hurt, but I thought him and Grant were suppose to be the fastest players on the team?

5' 10" Johnny Jackson has 50 catches, no?

No, sorry. ESPN says Johnny Jackson is a DB.

But I stand corrected. I was looking at the WR tab and JJ wasn't listed there.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... ny-jackson" target="_blank

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

All of the LB recruits we have coming in and the ones were currently recruiting are all virtually 100% certain RS candidates.

I don't see any of these HS guys coming in and solidifying our much talked about LB woes from this year transitioning to next year. They may be great kids down the road after a RS and a couple of years in the system, but we're looking at the same depth and player talent deficiencies next year at LB as we had this year.

And outside of our horrible OOC schedule that we must play to capture a winning season and with our conference schedule being as brutal as can be expected I can see a year that is almost a carbon copy of this year.

We are still in the grip of the substandard talent and the lack of depth boogeyman and no amount of walk-ons is going to fix it.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Well, yes and no. Arizona has had like 5 or 6 injuries throughout the whole season on the three LB positions.

While i expect Wright to be gone, I can't see a repeat of the injuries that Arizona went though. Derrick Turituri, Cody Ippolito, Jake Mathews, and Miller would be a better group than what we saw at points this year. Paul Magloire Jr. moved to the position at the end of the year, which helped a bit, but could move back to safety. Arizona also has John Kenny (Iowa transfer) that had to RS this year. I also think I remember some reports of how well Kendal Franklin was playing in camp, but I have no idea if that is accurate.

It would be hard for the LB core to be even par with how they played at times this year. To me its about the CB's and if they can cover anyone for more than a few feet.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Our defensive linemen don't get much push, our LB's are mediocre at best and our DB's are slow and can't cover. Lovely. But everyone screams about our scheme being the problem.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

carolinacat wrote:Our defensive linemen don't get much push, our LB's are mediocre at best and our DB's are slow and can't cover.
Other than that we're golden.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

carolinacat wrote:Our defensive linemen don't get much push, our LB's are mediocre at best and our DB's are slow and can't cover. Lovely. But everyone screams about our scheme being the problem.
Why do you have to focus on the negatives so much?

Sheesh...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

carolinacat wrote:Our defensive linemen don't get much push, our LB's are mediocre at best and our DB's are slow, small and don't cover within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.
FYP
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

carolinacat wrote:Our defensive linemen don't get much push, our LB's are mediocre at best and our DB's are slow and can't cover. Lovely. But everyone screams about our scheme being the problem.
Well the scheme is the problem. You can get better results with the same talent and actual coaching with a better scheme.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

3goggles wrote:The guys on 1290 are saying that josh Allen is most likely a re commit
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:
3goggles wrote:The guys on 1290 are saying that josh Allen is most likely a re commit
The Pueblo vs. the Palouse in the dead of winter. Even RR should be able to pull this one off.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Well the scheme is the problem. You can get better results with the same talent and actual coaching with a better scheme.
Yes, and better tackling / space mechanics...
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Sheesh...
Negatives??? Sorry but I think that Carolinacat is focusing on reality, which is quite refreshing. If posters can't handle a realistic discussion of a teams strengths and weaknesses then they probably shouldn't be posting on public message boards.

Reality is that we lose our best DL (Gilbert), our best DB/Safety (Parks) and probably our best LB (Wright). Couple that with the fact that our redshirt freshman class isn't exactly filled with studs and it doesn't appear to me that next years defense is going to be much different than it was this year.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dmjcat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Sheesh...
Negatives??? Sorry but I think that Carolinacat is focusing on reality, which is quite refreshing. If posters can't handle a realistic discussion of a teams strengths and weaknesses then they probably shouldn't be posting on public message boards.

Reality is that we lose our best DL (Gilbert), our best DB/Safety (Parks) and probably our best LB (Wright). Couple that with the fact that our redshirt freshman class isn't exactly filled with studs and it doesn't appear to me that next years defense is going to be much different than it was this year.

I should have included a ;) to make sure the sarcasm was more obvious.

I agree... I don't see how our defense is much difference next season than it was this past one.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dmjcat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Sheesh...
If posters can't handle a realistic discussion of a teams strengths and weaknesses then they probably shouldn't be posting on public message board.
Smartest thing ever written on this board. Please call tell that to the crazies at uasports.net

Those guys banned me and others who dared to be negative about Arizona football.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:
I thought he dropped us for a USC or Alabama not WSU

Maybe he isn't that good then
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Newportcat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Sheesh...
If posters can't handle a realistic discussion of a teams strengths and weaknesses then they probably shouldn't be posting on public message board.
Smartest thing ever written on this board.
Someone not getting Harvey's obvious sarcasm is the smartest thing ever posted on this board?
-JB
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Newportcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Schools saw his transcripts
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

MrBug708 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Schools saw his transcripts
Do all the other schools that WERE interested (USC, ALABAMA, ?) have tougher admission requirements for football players than UA and WAZZU. Are you saying when all was said and done academically all Allen had left was us and Wazzu. Honest question, by the way.
/
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Some schools recognize different classes. Ucla looked into him but he wasn't going on. I don't think Arizona is quite like ASU, WSU, or OSU either.