Defensive Line

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Defensive Line

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is Ted Miller's ranking of the conference defensive line. If Coach K can get this unit to exceed expectations we will have a very good year.
GREAT SHAPE

Washington
USC
UCLA
Stanford

GOOD SHAPE

Washington State
Oregon
Arizona State
Oregon State
Colorado

WE'LL SEE

Utah

Arizona: With Tevin Hood and Kirifi Taula gone, the NG position in the Wildcats' 3-3-5 scheme is a question. Aiulua Fanene and Saneilia Fuimaono have returned from two-year missions, and both have playing experience. Sophomore Dwight Melvin likely gets the first look, though. LSU transfer Jordan Allen could be a factor inside, though he's a natural end. Jeff Worthy, a former Boise State player, at 6-foot-3, 290 pounds, could play any of three positions along the line, and there's also 280-pound recruit Jerod Cody and some incoming JC transfers.

California
ANGCatFan

Re: Defensive Line

Post by ANGCatFan »

Chantel Jennings at the ESPN PAC12 blog on the defensive ends.
GREAT SHAPE

USC
Washington
Oregon
Stanford

GOOD SHAPE

UCLA
Utah
Oregon State

WE'LL SEE

Arizona: The Wildcats lost Sione Tuihalamaka and only return Reggie Gilbert (34 tackles, 7 tackles for a loss) and Dan Pettinato (10 tackles). However, they got an offseason boost from the addition of LSU transfer Jordan Allen, who will be able to play immediately for Arizona. He only registered 16 tackles and two sacks last season while losing his starting job, but he'll bring experience and depth to the Wildcats' defensive ends. These three guys present a pretty intriguing position group, but there are still too many unknowns.

Washington State
Arizona State:
California
Colorado
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I haven't seen our DL get a consistent push and pressure in years, so really any time a positive play happens from that group going toward the QB it's a pleasant surprise.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I think the DL could be a bright spot this year. The DT and DE position finally have some depth and the only position I'm worried about is NT which in a worst case scenario I think Marcus Griffin can come in and man it this year.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

catinfl wrote:I think the DL could be a bright spot this year. The DT and DE position finally have some depth and the only position I'm worried about is NT which in a worst case scenario I think Marcus Griffin can come in and man it this year.
Agreed
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:I haven't seen our DL get a consistent push and pressure in years, so really any time a positive play happens from that group going toward the QB it's a pleasant surprise.
I'm not a 3-3-5 expert, but I'm not sure our style lends to penetrating so much as it does to tying up gaps to free backers and the secondary to read and make plays.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:I haven't seen our DL get a consistent push and pressure in years, so really any time a positive play happens from that group going toward the QB it's a pleasant surprise.
I'm not a 3-3-5 expert, but I'm not sure our style lends to penetrating so much as it does to tying up gaps to free backers and the secondary to read and make plays.

Nor am I, and would like to hear from the football guys, but from my understanding a blitz can come from any of the other 8 positions, and should happen nearly every play. Guessing game for the opposing O Line to see who is going to blitz, otherwise it's fairly easy to tie up the 3 UA D line guys.

Especially frustrating for me when it's 3rd and long and the Cats drop back 8 into coverage. the 3 D Line guys can't put any pressure on the QB, so he has all kinds of time to throw. That works pretty good actually on average QBs, but it also makes good QBs look like Joe Montana with all that time.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

USC just lost their second best DL, Kenny Bigelow, for the year.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

What are we hearing about our WildCat Dline?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Dkenner wrote:What are we hearing about our WildCat Dline?
I'm optimistic about it. I think Pettinano, Gilbert, Allen, Bruno, and Turituri should hold down the two DE spots and do pretty well there. I think a mixture of Worthy, Griffin, and Melvin should be effective at NT. I think we're going to miss Hood. RR said on media day that he was a lot better than most people thought.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Interesting tweet today from Berk re: Griffin:
I think a lot of us were expecting him to contribute - while RR might be blowing smoke or trying to motivate the kid, definitely caught me by surprise to read this.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Coach Rod talked about the DL during media days and had this to say about the poly guys back from their missions:

Rodriguez said he also expects Aiulua Fanene and Sani Fuimaono to compete for serious playing time in the middle, despite missing the last two seasons while serving a mission.

Fuimaono has been dealing with a foot injury since he returned, but should be healthy for the start of fall camp.

“Sani and ‘Fish’ are both big guys who can move,” Rodriguez said. “They’ve been out of it for a while, so we’ll see how quickly they can transition back to big-time football. But I’m glad they’re back. When they reported, they didn’t report way out of shape. They weren’t in football shape, but it didn’t take long for them to get up to snuff.”

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... f5dfd.html

For those who were speculating as to whether they would be ready to go or not I think there's your answer. Lot to learn obviously but being in shape was probably the biggest question mark for these two.

Last add: Poly guys in general are naturally strong, poly guys who play on either side of the line of scrimmage are freakishly strong and it's not from a regimented strength program - it's God given. I think Coach Rod saying that they expect them to challenge for "serious playing time" along with Allen is a huge deal for this D.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azthrillhouse wrote:Interesting tweet today from Berk re: Griffin:
I think a lot of us were expecting him to contribute - while RR might be blowing smoke or trying to motivate the kid, definitely caught me by surprise to read this.

It will definitely be difficult because of the knowledge that the position requires.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

chiefzona wrote:
azthrillhouse wrote:Interesting tweet today from Berk re: Griffin:

It will definitely be difficult because of the knowledge that the position requires.
RichRod seems pretty high on the Poly's eh, Chief.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

We'll see what the Poly's got.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

chiefzona wrote:We'll see what the Poly's got.
I wanna get in on this whole message board expert stuff. My prediction: Fanene is a starter by the middle of the season; Sani will play significantly (if not start). Griffin absolutely redshirts (granted, not much of a prediction since the hand writing seems to be on the wall for that one).
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

I have been told Griffin will not Redshirt and will see plenty playing time at ALL spots on the line. he is a unique player on this roster as he is the heaviest (295-300lbs) and one of the quickest (3rd or 4th in drills so far)
Last edited by Dkenner on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

from things I have heard Coach K doesn't really like naming kids starters, he wants to play 6-8 in every game as it helps the kids stay healthier in the last month of the season. I think we will see a rotation of (starters) in the first 4 weeks so I will make my prediction for the 1st conference game.

Gilbert- Griffin- Pettinato
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Does anyone have any updates DL related?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

A quick interview with Reggie Gilbert by Jason Bartel at SB Nation. A couple of the questions:
2. Who are some of the freshman that stick out to you in the front six?

Gilbert: I like Marcus Griffin. He's a young guy that has a lot of potential. I definitely like the way that our young guys are flying around and competing.

4. What changed for you when Rich Rodriguez took over?

(Practice) is definitely more under scrutiny. There's a lot more structure, a lot more organization. I'm not knocking the past, they were great coaches, but Coach Rod definitely brings more intensity, more emphasis on being the best, most hard-working, well-conditioned team in America, and that's a good thing for us.

10. Favorite RichRod quote?

Can't coach stupid. (We heard that phrase a ton during that practice). *he says laughing* That's one that's sticking in my head right now.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

UA football: Defensive line 'up in the air'

http://tucson.com/sports/article_ef04c6 ... Q8.twitter
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Reggie Gilbert is now hurt. Gilbert has an injured left foot, and was in a walking boot and using crutches Saturday night.

"We're gonna rest him for a few days and see what happens," Rich Rodriguez said afterwards.

I think he may be out a bit!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How do these guys get hurt, they were in shells for both practices. Not much hitting in fall camps these days anymore. IMO Gilbert is our best rush end
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Hopefully Melvin gets healthy he has all the tools to be successful and a good player, but he zones out for some practices and doesn't really try.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

azcat49 wrote:How do these guys get hurt, they were in shells for both practices. Not much hitting in fall camps these days anymore. IMO Gilbert is our best rush end
from what I have heard, shells or not they are working at a good pace and very physical