Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

wyo-cat

Re: Fire Casteel

Post by wyo-cat »

Had he taken a shot at Rey, that would have been a dead give away for KC!
illcat

Post by illcat »

Cat Fans should be asking themselves is Casteel worth the $700K that Arizona is paying him. Right now I would have to say no. :(
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

97cats wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:OH Gee, are you all butt hurt because someone won't roll over into your pile of BS? LOL. You stink this place up guys and you wonder why you can't get more interest on this board? I'll bet at least two of you have a Mr Microphone and you watch the games with the sound off and pretend to do the play by play. Do you make your kids stick the mic in your face after the game so you can pretend to be the coach and be interviewed? You guys are dipsticks. LOL.
tgrumpy2 for MOD immediately
Oh crap,

Now we have another thought and speech nazi that just got off the train to tell us poor ignorant souls how to think and what to think. Just what the world needs, another control freak jackass to direct content and discussion to their simplistic mind-field on football unicorns and rainbows. Oh the horror.

Even worse the nazi thought police bot has a Chinese censorship firewall advocate egging it on to become a MOD.

Remember boy and girls, everyone gets a blue star, no one finishes last and no one's feelings are allowed to be hurt in our collectivist bots utopia world filled with internet dipsticks.

We are saved at last. Halle-fucking-lujah!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

HaCats wrote:welcome back Kyle!!!
You're probably right.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:...
You can calm down with the personal attacks or you can leave.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Half the people in this post have attacked players or coaches or both. All I did was come in and defend them a bit at a time when they could use it. I'm sorry they don't like me raining on their whine and chees party but how can anyone that calls themselves a fan in their right mind think they can evaluate this team's defense this year. I stand by my rant, the people on this board are terrible. I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll shut the heck up and just be a spectator here again and next year with the same rotten under coached players all healed up with only reasonable amounts of injuries. A year older with more experience. If they're still as rotten I'll join in the whine and insult line. I'll show up at the UofA student union with a sign that says here and I am everyone here can throw rocks at me. I think a decent defense should show up in the top 85 so if our defense turns out to be fairly decent all of you can kiss my butt.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

OH Gladiator Cat. My feelers are so hurt. Can't you tell? LOL You can think what you want kitty but I just don't happen to agree.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

tgrumpy2 wrote:OH Gladiator Cat. My feelers are so hurt. Can't you tell? LOL You can think what you want kitty but I just don't happen to agree.
Criticism of the players has been very limited... I cannot recall seeing it at all.

Casteel is well paid for his services; most people feel he should be accountable for the results his unit has produced, which have been dogshit for his entire tenure here.

If he actually got out and recruited, then he would have less time to cruise the Internet and read the criticism. Maybe he should consider it.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

According to Casteels official bio he does recruit.............only in Tucson!!!!

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =207985570" target="_blank

My first thought when I read that he was exempt from recruiting was "Thats got to be bullshit"..............now that I have found confirmation that the guy doesn't leave town I am steamed. Hell yes Casteel needs to be fired along with the bulk of the defensive staff. Byrnes first new hire should be Joe Salavea, even if has to get down on his knees, beg forgiveness, and double his salary.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:Half the people in this post have attacked players or coaches or both. All I did was come in and defend them a bit at a time when they could use it. I'm sorry they don't like me raining on their whine and chees party but how can anyone that calls themselves a fan in their right mind think they can evaluate this team's defense this year. I stand by my rant, the people on this board are terrible. I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll shut the heck up and just be a spectator here again and next year with the same rotten under coached players all healed up with only reasonable amounts of injuries. A year older with more experience. If they're still as rotten I'll join in the whine and insult line. I'll show up at the UofA student union with a sign that says here and I am everyone here can throw rocks at me. I think a decent defense should show up in the top 85 so if our defense turns out to be fairly decent all of you can kiss my butt.
DC4AZCATS.................Is that you??? I see that DC disappeared monday night and you showed up Tuesday morning........hmmmmmmmm

And both of you seem to share that "Arizona's ass don't smell" psychological trait :lol:
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I'll show up at the UofA student union with a sign that says here and I am everyone here can throw rocks at me.
Simply amazing

We didn't have injuries last year and had the best defensive player in college football and our defense sucked so basically that means get prepared next year to show up at the student with a sign that says here and I am everyone can throw rocks at me. What that exactly means is beyond me but will be funny to see

Isn't it ironic his name is tgrumpy...

Whatever happened to the big KC, did he bear down too hard
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

dmjcat wrote:According to Casteels official bio he does recruit.............only in Tucson!!!!

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =207985570" target="_blank

My first thought when I read that he was exempt from recruiting
That argument is probably on the scout premium broad I heard some poster talking about, Even if you check the rival recruiting broad and see which of our coaches recruited, Casteel has brought in like 2 recruit.
was "Thats got to be bullshit"..............now that I have found confirmation that the guy doesn't leave town I am steamed. Hell yes Casteel needs to be fired along with the bulk of the defensive staff
If RR stay for fifth season in which I hope he does, He going to retain everyone on staff. Casteel is going to have one more chance to improve the defense with everyone coming back next season, If not RR is going to have to make that tough call unless he want to be that coach that doesn't make any change.
. Byrnes first new hire should be Joe Salavea
The first question how in the word is RR going to offer him to come to Arizona when he currently working for Mike leach staff at WSU. I just look him on Wiki that he used to be a DL coach at Arizona and play for Arizona. But I highly doubt it no offer would be made to get him to RR staff unless Old man Kir retire like this year.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

tgrumpy2 wrote:Half the people in this post have attacked players or coaches or both. All I did was come in and defend them a bit at a time when they could use it. I'm sorry they don't like me raining on their whine and chees party but how can anyone that calls themselves a fan in their right mind think they can evaluate this team's defense this year. I stand by my rant, the people on this board are terrible. I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll shut the heck up and just be a spectator here again and next year with the same rotten under coached players all healed up with only reasonable amounts of injuries. A year older with more experience. If they're still as rotten I'll join in the whine and insult line. I'll show up at the UofA student union with a sign that says here and I am everyone here can throw rocks at me. I think a decent defense should show up in the top 85 so if our defense turns out to be fairly decent all of you can kiss my butt.
I love the enthusiasm, but you're playing with a short deck. Arizona's defense has never been decent in the RR era. It best it's been average, and at worst it's been terrible. I'm not part of the fire Casteel crowd, yet, but the defense needs to improve. A lot.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Puerco wrote:
I love the enthusiasm, but you're playing with a short deck. Arizona's defense has never been decent in the RR era. It best it's been average, and at worst it's been terrible. I'm not part of the fire Casteel crowd, yet, but the defense needs to improve. A lot.

I agree Puerco, the defense has to improve. I just happen to feel very strongly that you don't pick a year like this year to whine and cry for the DC's head and demean the players. If they don't improve significantly next year, By God, hand me a pitchfork and a torch and I'll lead the frenzied mob myself to the Castle Casteel and we'll raze it together.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not a single person on this board has demeaned the players
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fire a DC after one year of poor performance? No. After three years of poor performance? Absolutely.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Puerco wrote:

I agree Puerco, the defense has to improve. I just happen to feel very strongly that you don't pick a year like this year to whine and cry for the DC's head and demean the players. If they don't improve significantly next year, By God, hand me a pitchfork and a torch and I'll lead the frenzied mob myself to the Castle Casteel and we'll raze it together.
I'm with you. I grant Casteel a pass for this season, but history's not in his favor so far. I started out thinking the 3-3-5 would be a good gimmick, but it hasn't proven effective at all to date.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:
I love the enthusiasm, but you're playing with a short deck. Arizona's defense has never been decent in the RR era
In the 3 of the 4 season RR defense has never been decent.
. It best it's been average
2013 was the only year our defense did improve on playing consistent in case you forgotten that.
, and at worst it's been terrible
After 2013 defense of improvement 2014 we fell right back to being worst defense with best Defense player in College football 2 star Scooby.
. I'm not part of the fire Casteel crowd, yet, but the defense needs to improve. A lot.
2012 total defense Rank 122 out of 124 teams
2013 total defense Rank 63 out of 125 teams
2014 total defense Rank 105 out of 128 teams
2015 total defense Rank 114 out of 128 teams( injuries)

That pretty much sums it up how our defense has been under Casteel in four years.
How long do you think it going to take casteel to get same result he had at WVU.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Total defense is a bad statistic to use when you have an offense predicated on getting as many plays run as possible. That means the defense likewise has to face more plays, which inevitably leads to more yardage yielded and a low total defense ranking. Take a look at the yards per play rankings I posted somewhere above. They're still not good, but they're not as abysmal as the total defense rankings.

Sorry, not in this thread but the RR leaving poll thread:
Theoretically sound argument, but flawed in reality, S&S. Casteel's defense allows 5.8 yards per play, good for 92nd in the country. That's independent of the pace of our offense. That ain't going to cut it, no matter how good the offense is.

Moreover, last year we ranked 63rd in that statistic. The year before? 53rd. 2012? 96th. Casteel's defenses have varied between average and putrid. Something is not working.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:Total defense is a bad statistic to use when you have an offense predicated on getting as many plays run as possible. That means the defense likewise has to face more plays, which inevitably leads to more yardage yielded and a low total defense ranking. Take a look at the yards per play rankings I posted somewhere above. They're still not good, but they're not as abysmal as the total defense rankings.

Sorry, not in this thread but the RR leaving poll thread:
Theoretically sound argument, but flawed in reality, S&S. Casteel's defense allows 5.8 yards per play, good for 92nd in the country. That's independent of the pace of our offense. That ain't going to cut it, no matter how good the offense is.

Moreover, last year we ranked 63rd in that statistic. The year before? 53rd. 2012? 96th. Casteel's defenses have varied between average and putrid. Something is not working.
Those our just their statistic it doesn't prove that Casteel has been average at best. Overall he still fielded the worsts defensive in 3 of the 4 seasons. Even if you want to go to the statistic mark and say we have been average, It doesn't help our total defense does it. Like said 2013 was our only good and last time we saw this 3-3-5 ever being consistent at best.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

My main concern at this point is how much Casteel is involved in getting and retaining good defensive players. Im sure the recruiting process sucks bad from a mature adult's perspective, but who would want to play for a guy that doesn't participate in recruiting you to play for him?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

carcassdragger wrote:My main concern at this point is how much Casteel is involved in getting and retaining good defensive players. Im sure the recruiting process sucks bad from a mature adult's perspective, but who would want to play for a guy that doesn't participate in recruiting you to play for him?
The lesser recruits
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

To the original post idea, just simply, yes. Don't even need 6 pages to discuss it. Realize EXTREMELY unlikely to happen, but it's Christmas season can always wish.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I've never been so dissatisfied with wins as I have during the Casteel era.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I truly don't understand the point of this defense. Let quality opponents get out to a horrific lead in the first half, realize you need to pressure the qb to make a difference or at least make an effort to stop the run, then allow your team to lose a close one at the end, holding the other team to 1 or 2 scores in the second half (of which they are kinda helping you do by playing the clock).

I have never been so frustrated or disgusted with a defensive scheme. I'm not even sure which players thrive in this defense. We had Scooby freakin' Wright last year and the defense as a whole wasn't that great. If this defense doesn't force turn overs it's screwed. Because it stops nothing.

I'm up for a earth shaking change on defense. Cause this ain't it.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

The Butcher wrote:I truly don't understand the point of this defense. Let quality opponents get out to a horrific lead in the first half, realize you need to pressure the qb to make a difference or at least make an effort to stop the run, then allow your team to lose a close one at the end, holding the other team to 1 or 2 scores in the second half (of which they are kinda helping you do by playing the clock).

I have never been so frustrated or disgusted with a defensive scheme. I'm not even sure which players thrive in this defense. We had Scooby freakin' Wright last year and the defense as a whole wasn't that great. If this defense doesn't force turn overs it's screwed. Because it stops nothing.

It's not the scheme it's how conservative he calls the games and that he doesn't recruit. I'm watching this byu game now and there QB is going to light us up like WSU did this year!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Whether the scheme, the conservative play calling, or the lack of talent... All signs point in one direction.

Well, two actually.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

The Butcher wrote:I truly don't understand the point of this defense. Let quality opponents get out to a horrific lead in the first half, realize you need to pressure the qb to make a difference or at least make an effort to stop the run, then allow your team to lose a close one at the end, holding the other team to 1 or 2 scores in the second half (of which they are kinda helping you do by playing the clock).

For all of Rich Rod's brilliant offensive prowess and flexibility, this guy is stunningly bullheaded stupid stubborn when it come to the defense and change.

I just don't freaking get it.

The defense is going to bad again next year. We still won't have the horses and Scooby Wright was a complete anomaly. In 2016 you'll think you are looking at reruns, but you won't be.

The poor defensive manpower and poor scheming is no longer on Jeff Casteel in my book. This is all on RR now, he owns it all including the bad defense. RR is the CEO and he has signed off on a defective product being produced and refuses to make changes so that's that.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

You'd think having 5 DB's would mean that we'd be good at stopping runs to the outside. At least, we'd be better at stopping the option plays to the outside, right? The tradeoff is supposed to be that we lose size but gain speed. We seem to have lost size, but still look slow... With only 3 DL every play, everyone gets sucked into the dive play, then nobody is left on the outside. I lost count how many times a slow LB was trying to run down their QB, while the corner either got blocked or just watched the pitchman while the QB gashed us.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well we have a slightly easier schedule but overall the defense will be just as bad

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Today really showed lack of speed on defense. Anytime the UNM ball carrier got outside he was gone.

Scooby saved the day today, but he couldn't do it all and he never had the lateral speed to begin with.

UA's defense was bottom 10 in DIv I this year, bottom 20 last year, and I would bet the house it will again be in the 100s next year too.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Gladiator Cat wrote:

For all of Rich Rod's brilliant offensive prowess and flexibility, this guy is stunningly bullheaded stupid stubborn when it come to the defense and change.

I just don't freaking get it.

The defense is going to bad again next year. We still won't have the horses and Scooby Wright was a complete anomaly. In 2016 you'll think you are looking at reruns, but you won't be.

The poor defensive manpower and poor scheming is no longer on Jeff Casteel in my book. This is all on RR now, he owns it all including the bad defense. RR is the CEO and he has signed off on a defective product being produced and refuses to make changes so that's that.
RR isn't or willing to make that decision alone if he was in a crossroad on what other will say about it. Who in the hell is RR going to hired if he did fired Casteel, No one. Now we can all say that it all on him because his defense will never improve. If next year defense some how play with consistent on stopping a few play then and their and offense doesn't make to many mistake, then we should fine. Recruiting not one top rated prospect would even consider Arizona his school to go learn and play for. Something has to give.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

cordera89 wrote: Who in the hell is RR going to hired if he did fired Casteel, No one.
Manny Diaz was the University of Texas DC at the end of Mack Brown's tenure. I remember seeing a stat that said his 2012 or 2013 salary was $625K.

If you're offering around $700,000 for your DC position, you're going to get some strong candidates interested in the position. So I would replace your"no one" with "someone from a decent list of pretty strong candidates."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yep. We could probably get 5-10 guys interested in the job that within 2 years would have this defense much better

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Please Santa, bring us a holiday gift. Casteel and Kirelawich moving on together. Please, Please, please
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
illcat

Post by illcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yep. We could probably get 5-10 guys interested in the job that within 2 years would have this defense much better
After looking at this years D it wouldn't take too much to show improvement.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Could Casteel be an effective DC running something other than the 3-3-5? He is a very experienced and knowledgeable defensive football coach.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

illcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Yep. We could probably get 5-10 guys interested in the job that within 2 years would have this defense much better
That's what I thought last year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
illcat wrote:
That's what I thought last year.

I think Cats were 114th in defense with a full year of Scooby, and 120th or so without him this season. Can't imagine getting above 100th next year.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Schemes aside, I'd like for us to simply be able to tackle a guy. It's painful watching a safety or CB come up to fill a gap and have an open tackle, lower their head and then bounce off a ball carrier.

I don't know what our practices are like, but some of our defenders looked inept when encountering a RB, QB or WR in space. And that was against New Mexico. If we had played an opponent with more talent at the skill positions, we would've been killed.

Florida State used to practice or scrimmage all the time, injuries be damned for the sake of better tackling. I'd like to know RR's philosophy and rationale. Growing up watching our defenses in the 80's and 90's and now watching this makes me wretch!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RR used the old Tomey excuse of too many injuries in practice with poor depth to have tackling drills.

It was so painful watching Tomey's team take on Penn State in the Pigskin Classic and the UA defense trying to knock down the PSU ball carriers with just a shoulder instead of wrapping up.

That game was the beginning of the end for Dick.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Changes happening:
Bio:

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =207985457" target="_blank

Year in College Athletics: Ninth

Year at Arizona: Third

Jahmile Addae (JUH-mall UH-dye) is in his third season as a member of the Arizona football staff. He assists with the day-to-day duties of program management with a focus on defensive film breakdown.

He spent the 2010 and 2011 seasons as the running backs coach at the University of Cincinnati. At UC, Addae mentored All-BIG EAST Second-Team selection Isaiah Pead, who rushed for 1,029 yards while leading the conference in yards per carry (6.6), a mark that ranked him in the top-10 nationally. Pead, who averaged 93.6 yards per game, was UC's first 1,000-yard rusher in almost a decade and only the Bearcats' seventh all-time. Addae was recognized by Rivals.com as one of the top-10 recruiters in the BIG EAST Conference.

Before coaching the Bearcats, Addae served as UC's Director of Player Development. He also managed many of UC's off-the-field responsibilities, including the highly-successful Cats In The Community program.

Addae arrived at UC after two seasons as a defensive graduate assistant at the University of Michigan where he worked with the Wolverines' defensive secondary and scout team offense. Addae was a graduate assistant in the football video department at West Virginia University in 2007.

He was a four-year starter, two-time captain and three-time All-BIG EAST performer at West Virginia. He was a finalist for the 2005 Ronnie Lott Trophy and was named to the watch list for the 2005 Jim Thorpe Award. He was selected for the Senior Bowl in 2005 and participated in the NFL Combine.

A native of Tampa, Fla., Addae signed a free agent contract with his hometown Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2005 and spent the end of the season with the Indianapolis Colts.

Addae and his wife, Maryann, have two sons, Agyeman and Ayden.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Hate to see anyone lose their job but the CB's were probably the worst position on a very bad defense. It kinda makes sense but I have this nagging feeling that this is just a bandaid and we needed open heart surgery on the D.

Was Lockwood one of the recruiters who didn't leave the state?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

UALoco wrote:Hate to see anyone lose their job but the CB's were probably the worst position on a very bad defense. It kinda makes sense but I have this nagging feeling that this is just a bandaid and we needed open heart surgery on the D.
If that's the only change to the D then Rich owns it next year.

We will see.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

SCCats wrote:
UALoco wrote:Hate to see anyone lose their job but the CB's were probably the worst position on a very bad defense. It kinda makes sense but I have this nagging feeling that this is just a bandaid and we needed open heart surgery on the D.

We will see.
Still early. Staff shake-up will probably take a week or two at least.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

carolinacat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

We will see.
Still early. Staff shake-up will probably take a week or two at least.
The word that has seemed to be coming all season hasn't been very good (i.e. generally "expect very few changes"), so we will see. Perhaps they will surprise.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I don't know how good Addae will be, and wish Lockwood the best, but I happy to see some changes made.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I don't think it would be a stretch to say that DL coach Karlawek (sp) should probably start to think about retiring back to WV and spending time with the family at some point very soon.

Bottom-line, even with coaching changes the defense still hasn't got the horses but we need changes nonetheless.

There's more than enough games and performance based action at multiple schools to show the trend and product evolution.

RR may have finally gotten the message.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The cornerbacks weren't great but I don't think we know what we have either way with them. I say that because they were often having to cover receivers far too long and no corner is good enough to keep guys blanketed for more than a few seconds. It's more about the guys up front for me. With some bigger guys up front (Williams, Griffin, maybe Allen), and if the linebackers play better, then corner play should improve by default. We'll see.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Where there is no development, there are problems.