QB derby

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: QB derby

Post by chiefzona »

Anu will be the starter for the Aug 29 UNLV game.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

chiefzona wrote:Anu will be the starter for the Aug 29 UNLV game.
Oh no, Anu gets the dreaded Chief jinx. My money now says Anu will miss the the bus to the first game after getting a concussion when a fan "accidentally" closes a door in his face.

So much for having a 4 year starting QB in Coach Rod's system.

Thanks, Chief
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Oh no, Anu gets the dreaded Chief jinx. My money now says Anu will miss the the bus to the first game after getting a concussion when a fan "accidentally" closes a door in his face.

So much for having a 4 year starting QB in Coach Rod's system.

Thanks, Chief

Haha. No chance. He will however be looking over his shoulder once the season starts.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Dammit, now what am I gonna argue with you about?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I have not been following very closely, are you giving up on your boy Scroggins?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Alieberman wrote:
I have not been following very closely, are you giving up on your boy Scroggins?

I'm not giving up on anyone. No one's job will be safe.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

One thing is certain, I am more excited this year than last year. Pac-12 defenses better be ready!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Surprised they named the starter so early. Although I assume if Solomon struggles at all someone else will start vs. Utsa
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

No starter has been 'named'....this is just speculation based off of reps. Not saying Anu won't eventually be the guy but nothing has been officially determined. Hell we're only 6 days into camp....I would hope out staff would want to be more thorough and see as much as they can see before making a final decision.

And in regards to the point that if Anu struggles even a little than we see a different starter for UTSA.....really? If Anu, or whoever starts against UNLV, struggles a little....I don't think I want to throw ilone of the others into the fire on the road against a decent team...for their first career start. First game jitters against UNLV for whoever starts are probably to be expected and I would think that guy will be more capable with a game under his belt.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We have enough options at qb that i wouldn't be surprised to see 4 guys get snaps in the first 2 games.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Multiple QB's play this year. Maybe expect it. At minimum until the 1st or 2nd conference game. Rich Rod has done it before.

2005 with Bednarik (played in 9 games then injured) and Pat White (12 games).

2009 (Forcier, 12 games), Denard Robinson (12 games).

One a better arm, the other a better runner. We'll have to see if there is that much separation here between #1 & #2
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:We have enough options at qb that i wouldn't be surprised to see 4 guys get snaps in the first 2 games.
If 4 guys are taking snaps in 2 games, that would be a very, very bad sign.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

A year ago everyone was certain that someone else besides BJ would would get snaps in the early games. The majority of the board was demanding that and begging for RR to give another QB snaps. How could he not. He just had to. Well guess what? RR stuck with his guy, and outside of one Javelle Allen garbage TD, he rode BJ all the way.

My money says he does the same this year. RR and Rod Smith pick their guy and that's your QB1 for the duration, end of story barring injury or other extraordinary circumstances. Maybe . . . maybe you get some special packages, wildcat or whatever, as some have suggested with Randall, but there's no way we see 4 QBs play in the first couple of games under normal circumstances. I just don't think that's what RR's going to do. And I don't necessarily put much stock in what he did at WVU or UM in terms of multiple QBs. That was then. This is now. Different circumstances. I think he rode BJ to preserve Anu's redshirt and there wasn't any one else he could give the ball to. Now he's got some depth for backup and it's time for Anu to step up and be a multi-year starter.

Some folks, Chief for one, think the QB competition may extend through the first few games. I don't see it. I think RR will be ready to rock n roll with his guy come August 29th.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

BearDown89 wrote:A year ago everyone was certain that someone else besides BJ would would get snaps in the early games. The majority of the board was demanding that and begging for RR to give another QB snaps. How could he not. He just had to. Well guess what? RR stuck with his guy, and outside of one Javelle Allen garbage TD, he rode BJ all the way.

My money says he does the same this year. RR and Rod Smith pick their guy and that's your QB1 for the duration, end of story barring injury or other extraordinary circumstances. Maybe . . . maybe you get some special packages, wildcat or whatever, as some have suggested with Randall, but there's no way we see 4 QBs play in the first couple of games under normal circumstances. I just don't think that's what RR's going to do. And I don't necessarily put much stock in what he did at WVU or UM in terms of multiple QBs. That was then. This is now. Different circumstances. I think he rode BJ to preserve Anu's redshirt and there wasn't any one else he could give the ball to. Now he's got some depth for backup and it's time for Anu to step up and be a multi-year starter.

Some folks, Chief for one, think the QB competition may extend through the first few games. I don't see it. I think RR will be ready to rock n roll with his guy come August 29th.

There's only one reason why I say that. As long as Randall is on the sidelines in an Arizona uni, RR will itch until he gets Randall on the field.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I don't think RR is tied into doing things any one way. If he thinks playing two QBs is the best way to win the most games, he'll do it. An example of him not being tied too hard to a philosophy - Scott was a running QB and he had Carey in the backfield with him, and we figured the Cats would be running, running and running. They ran a fair bit but Scott was throwing the ball all over the field and putting up some insane numbers doing it. The next year with Denker they were running the ball up and down the field. If we see times where the Cats are up against a secondary that's enforcing a solid no-fly zone, then I could see RR bringing Randall in to give them something else to think about.
chiefzona wrote:There's only one reason why I say that. As long as Randall is on the sidelines in an Arizona uni, RR will itch until he gets Randall on the field.
I'm firmly in the Solomon camp, but yeah, Randall has me intrigued. He's got insane athleticism and it sounds like he's worked his a** off over the offseason. If he does nothing else but push Solomon to keep working harder to get better, then that's a plus for the team. You gotta figure though that RR wants to turn him loose and see what happens.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catstatic wrote:Here's hoping it's Solomon.
Same here, nice to finally have a 4 year QB. Really do want to see more scrub work this year though, esp. Scroggins to see his rocket arm.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino interviews Rod Smith about the QBs for Fox Sports AZ. A couple of the questions:
Q: Ideally, would you like to be able to give the keys to someone who could have it for three, four years?
A: "We want the guy who is going to give us the best opportunity to win on Saturday. I don't care if he's a senior or if he's a freshman. That doesn't matter to me. We don't look three years down the road. We play for right now. We have to win right now. That's not fair to the seniors to say, 'We're going to give it to a guy who has three more years.' You play for now. We'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. ... We like winning too much to not play the best guy."

Q: How is a final decision made? Is it a gut feeling? Is it numerical?
A: "You take all the practice film that you see, all the individual work that we do, and you also say, 'OK, how much upside, how much potential does this kid have. How far can he take us?' But the most important thing is the film work -- the work they put in at practice. Whoever is moving the offense, scoring points, doing things to control the offense, that's the guy who is probably going to separate himself. And then we'll sit down as a staff. I'll have my opinion and coach (Rich Rodriguez) will have his opinion and hopefully we're all on the same page."
Merkin

Hmmmm...

Post by Merkin »

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/uafootba ... 963f4.html

The entire night practice was open to the media. None of the quarterbacks had a particularly great night. All of them struggled at points.

Anu Solomon worked exclusively with the first-team and was up-and-down. I kept some very unofficial stats for the “live” 11-on-11 portion of practice and had the redshirt freshman at 8 for 11 for 60 yards and a touchdown.

Most of the passes were shorter ones, where the receivers did most of the work.

His nicest ball was a seam pass to Austin Hill for 19 yards.

He also had a couple of incompletions and overthrows that drove Rodriguez crazy in the non-live portion.

After the morning practice, I asked Rodriguez about Solomon.

His thoughts: “I think he’s more confident in what he’s doing. He still makes some mistakes here and there, like you expect a redshirt freshman to do, but I think he’s really comfortable. He’s not making a whole lot of mental mistakes. Now some of it for him is a physical thing, where he’s not driving off his back foot when he throws the ball, or he’s falling backwards and not getting the zip on it he has to at times.”

Before the season, the coach said when Solomon was redshirting last year, he had a very relaxed attitude, and wanted to make sure the quarterback came ready to compete this fall.

So far he’s been pleased with his approach: “He was chilling (last year). It’s in his DNA anyway. If we would let him chill halfway through this practice, I think he would. But he doesn’t get too flustered, which is a good thing. I’m trying to get him flustered. You don’t have to be an in your face guy to be a competitor, but I want to see him be a little more assertive with his own intensity at times. That’s a work in progress.”

• After one week, Solomon seems to be in the lead, and has clearly worked with the first-team the most.

However, Rodriguez said after the night practice that the order could, and likely would change going into next week. He said hee hasn’t started thinking about the true pecking order leading into UNLV.

“We’re going to watch today and flip guys around a little bit,” Rodriguez said. “Just like any position, it’s based on performance. Guys are going to make mistakes, but what we can’t have is the egregious errors, the total brain spasms. That part, every guy, is having one of them every practice.”

• Jesse Scroggins worked with the second team and completed four of his five passes during the “live” 11-on-11. He had a couple of nice balls, and a couple that made Rodriguez throw his headset.

Connor Brewer and Jerrard Randall split duties. Randall only got one drive — the last one. He led his unit down the field 60 yards for a touchdown against a handful of first-team defenders. He capped the drive with an 18-yard touchdown run. He also had a couple of nice completions to David Richards and Trey Griffey.

“His world is spinning every which way right now,” Rodriguez said of Randall. “He obviously has some talent. It’s very important to him. One thing I like is that it does bother him when he does make a mistake. Some guys you worry about if they make a mistake, if it bothers them. It bothers him a great deal. It’s important to him. We’ll keep working with him.”
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brad Allis at WSR with his break down of the QB race after 1 week of camp.
Solomon: Right now appears to have the best balance of ability, knowledge and consistency. He does not have the arm that Scroggins and Randall have, nor does he have their wheels, but he also make better decisions and is a more consistent thrower. He makes really quick decisions, even if many of them are conservative checkdowns. At this point is it hard not to get the impression that the job is now his to lose.

Scroggins: I am leaving the senior slotted second, even though I believe Brewer may be overtaking him. Scroggins has a nice arm, and the ability to make some nice throws, but consistency is a huge issue. I also have my doubts about his leadership ability. Word is he was not the hardest worker during summer workouts.

Brewer: He has the least amount of ability, but makes up for some of it with accuracy and smarts. According to quarterbacks coach Rod Smith Brewer had a good end of the week last week and looked relatively sharp in the scrimmage. Don’t be surprised to see him get his share of second team reps this week.

Randall: So intriguing, so frustrating. Has the best arm, has the best legs, but he’s apparently quite lost. Not going to rule him out yet, but he better start making a push by week’s end. If not, the coaches are going to start figuring creative ways to get him on the field.

The reports have also been positive for true freshman Brandon Dawkins, although he is nearly 100% to redshirt this season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Word is he (Scroggins) was not the hardest worker during summer workouts.

Apparently in contrast to what was reported earlier.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So if Randall is not playing QB will he be moved to another position to take advantage of his crazy fast legs?
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Merkin wrote: Word is he (Scroggins) was not the hardest worker during summer workouts.

Apparently in contrast to what was reported earlier.
I heard he complained of knee pain most off season and didn't run as much as they wanted
Last edited by Dkenner on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:So if Randall is not playing QB will he be moved to another position to take advantage of his crazy fast legs?
If there's a Wildcat package in there, that would seem a natural role for him. Minimize the decisions but keep an arm on the field.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Anu was the first QB to talk to the media this year (Berk says it is simply because Anu was who the media asked for). Here is Steve Rivera's FSA article. My favorite part of the article is Coach Rod explaining why he is so tough on his QBs:
"Some people treat their quarterbacks a little differently," Rodriguez said, "and worry about their confidence and all that. But I'm worried about my confidence. I'm worried about the team's confidence and getting it done. If the quarterback that can handle the heat in practice ... the games should be easier for them."
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Watching UA vs Cal game right now and it is basically comical how limited the offense was. Watching this is gettin me excited for the possibilities that can happen this year. Bear Down boys, it's almost time!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Very good article by Jason Bartel on Anu.
Solomon was very open about his lack of speed, and how his long-distance speed may be his biggest weakness as fall camp continues on.

"Right now I'm not moving that fast. I'm eating a lot because that's what summer camp does to you but I'll be good. We take long drives and I'm huffing and puffing sometimes, but I just gotta suck it up and get in good shape."

"I can get away for like 20 yards, I just don't have that breakaway speed like Jerrard (Randall) does," he continued. "That's the thing I just gotta work on, is having that breakaway speed so I can get away from people."

So how does Anu Solomon improve upon his speed?

"You know, just coming out here after practice and going to the weight room and working with the strength coaches. Running long distance, trying to get that speed up, and working on my endurance."

"I'm also working on the zip on my balls, and I just gotta eliminate the rookie, silly mistakes."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I am more concerned about his 0-20 burst, not after 20 yards. He's not a WR.

How many runs did BJ have longer than 20 yards?
jollything

Post by jollything »

Merkin wrote:I am more concerned about his 0-20 burst, not after 20 yards. He's not a WR.

Agreed, We need a QB who runs when he needs to, takes care of the football, and stays healthy. Run enough to hurt the opposing team but not so much you make yourself an easy target.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Merkin wrote:I am more concerned about his 0-20 burst, not after 20 yards. He's not a WR.

Think running/getting a 1st down much more important with QB in this scheme. Keep chains moving, Field spread, Opposing DC wondering, High play count, Opposing Defense fatigue in 4th.

Denker Rushing 2013
13TDs
54 yds Longest
52 times got 1st Down
30 10+yds
9 20+yds (5% of his rush attempts)

Matt Scott Rushing 2012
6TDs
24 yds longest
45 times 1st down
26 10+ yds
2 20+ yds (nearly 2% of his rush attempt)
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

Think running/getting a 1st down much more important with QB in this scheme. Keep chains moving, Field spread, Opposing DC wondering, High play count, Opposing Defense fatigue in 4th.

Denker Rushing 2013
13TDs
54 yds Longest
52 times got 1st Down
30 10+yds
9 20+yds (5% of his rush attempts)

Matt Scott Rushing 2012
6TDs
24 yds longest
45 times 1st down
26 10+ yds
2 20+ yds (nearly 2% of his rush attempt)
Good stuff Razor. Really supports Merk's point. Definitely all about getting the 1st down.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Ah, no separation leads us back to zero. Tough battle going on but the one who exudes the most leadership and moves the offense up and down the field....wins.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:Ah, no separation leads us back to zero. Tough battle going on but the one who exudes the most leadership and moves the offense up and down the field....wins.
So that means Solomon is not the man Chief? He will be the first one to admit he is too laid back to be the assertive leader.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Ah, no separation leads us back to zero. Tough battle going on but the one who exudes the most leadership and moves the offense up and down the field....wins.
So that means Solomon is not the man Chief? He will be the first one to admit he is too laid back to be the assertive leader.

He's shown ok leadership. But he needs to dig deep down and show he wants this.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:

He's shown ok leadership. But he needs to dig deep down and show he wants this.
So what's your gut feeling about the QB situation Chief?

Scroggins apparently is not trying that hard, Brewer doesn't have the tools, and Randall doesn't seem to be able to get the playbook yet.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Any way we can merge them all into one?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:Any way we can merge them all into one?

Reminds me of the Ortege Jenkins/Keith Smith year. If you have two quarterbacks you don't have any.

Yet it was the most successful season in UA FB history.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:

Reminds me of the Ortege Jenkins/Keith Smith year. If you have two quarterbacks you don't have any.

Yet it was the most successful season in UA FB history.
Go figure. What a fun year to be a Cat fan though.
jollything

Post by jollything »

Connrard Scroglomon #1112815
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Now that is an interesting challenge.

You would like me to make one man with Scroggin's frame, Randall's legs and arm, Solomon's heart and touch, and Brewer's brain.

You realize for this experiment to be a success, all of the other body parts must be enlarged.

Now, I do a bit of amateur surgery in the basement of my grandfather's castle and I will be able to do the knife work,

but I will need a couple guys to kidnap our current QBs and bring them to me. Any takers?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dang, that's good Ang.

Always had a mad crush on Teri Garr.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We need rep desperately on this board.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:We need rep desperately on this board.
+1
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good Steve Rivera FSA article on the QBs focused on Scroggins.
"I'm more comfortable, less anxious and less overwhelmed," said Scroggins, speaking for the first time this camp at Arizona's annual media day on Sunday.

"Maybe I'll take this team to a high-caliber bowl game," he said with his trademark grin. "I'm not going to say which one, but we all know it has roses in it."

Scroggins, a 6-foot-3, 200-pounder from Lakewood, Calif., is thinking big this fall -- and not just in football. He is on pace to get a degree in psychology, becoming the first person in his family to graduate from college.

"I like everybody's chances," Scroggins said. "May the best man win."
For Brewer, the Scottsdale Chaparral High grad and University of Texas transfer, it's been a learning experience since arriving on campus a year ago.

"Taking a year off (for the transfer) is no fun for anyone," he said. "I had to work really hard last year, especially knowing I wasn't going to be in there."

"Coach Rodriguez harps on knowing the offense, and I know it, but it takes hours and hours and hours to learn it," Brewer said. "I want to get in the film room and learn more."

All the quarterback contenders have great attitudes, Rodriguez said. All are coachable and eager to get better, he added. But each brings something different to the table.

* Solomon has a "good feel for the game and great pre-snap vision," Rodriguez said. "He sees the field. He's athletic enough to extend the play."

* Brewer brings a good feel to the game and "is a better athlete than you give him credit for. And he's a tough guy. He knows for him to win the job or to be in the mix he doesn't have to be perfect mentally but he has to be on his game."

* Scroggins, athletic with a good arm, had been uneven in practice before this fall but has come on lately. "He wasn't making the progress we wanted, but as camp started he's slowly made his way to where he's had some of his best practices the last couple of days. He's worked hard. He's taken another step the last couple of practices."

* Randall's "head was spinning" with so much information to take in. But he offers a tremendous arm and athletic ability. He's a seemingly perfect guy to run Rodriguez's offense -- if and when he really grasps the playbook. "You see a couple of moments where you just cringe and say, 'He'll never get it,' then you see moments where you say, 'He's getting it.' Then you see him run and say, 'If he ever gets it, he's going to be special,'" Rodriguez said.

"When I'm confident in what I'm doing, that's when I play at my best," said Randall. "When my confidence level goes down, that's when I kind of wet the diaper. I'm done that plenty of times. But if it was a game situation it would be different. I'd be ready to roll when the lights are on.

Rodriguez laughed when told that. How will you get to play in a game if you don't get it done in practice? It's not enough to say you're "a gamer."

"They all say that," he said, laughing. "How are you going to have that opportunity? Some guys are better in games than they are at practice. But they are also pretty good in practice. In order to get in the game you have to do it in practice."
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Thanks, Ang. That was well-written. Nice to see these days. :)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Javier Morales with a history of Arizona opening day QBs since 1978. Key point:
Redshirt freshman quarterback Anu Solomon will make history if he starts next Friday against UNLV in the Arizona Wildcats’ season opener at Arizona Stadium.

The Wildcats have not featured either a true freshman or redshirt freshman as the season-opening starter in the time in which they have played in the Pac-10/12, starting in 1978.

Arizona has featured freshman starting quarterbacks but none who were deemed No. 1 out of fall camp. The list of freshmen who have started includes:

– Tom Tunnicliffe in 1980
– Ron Veal in 1987
– George Malauulu in 1989
– Keith Smith in 1996 (Batten was slightly ahead of him out of Fall camp that year but Smith became leading passer)
– Ortege Jenkins in 1997
– Kris Heavner and Ryan O’Hara in 2003
– Willie Tuitama in 2005
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good (if not way too short) media interview with the top 3 QBs.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ANGCatFan wrote:Good (if not way too short) media interview with the top 3 QBs.
I like 'em all!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ANGCatFan wrote:Javier Morales with a history of Arizona opening day QBs since 1978. Key point:
Redshirt freshman quarterback Anu Solomon will make history if he starts next Friday against UNLV in the Arizona Wildcats’ season opener at Arizona Stadium.

The Wildcats have not featured either a true freshman or redshirt freshman as the season-opening starter in the time in which they have played in the Pac-10/12, starting in 1978.

Arizona has featured freshman starting quarterbacks but none who were deemed No. 1 out of fall camp. The list of freshmen who have started includes:

– Ron Veal in 1987
– Keith Smith in 1996 (Batten was slightly ahead of him out of Fall camp that year but Smith became leading passer)
– Ortege Jenkins in 1997
– Willie Tuitama in 2005
I have not thought about Kris Heavner in a long, long time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Javier Morales with a history of Arizona opening day QBs since 1978. Key point:

– Ron Veal in 1987
– Ortege Jenkins in 1997
– Willie Tuitama in 2005
I have not thought about Kris Heavner in a long, long time.
O'Hara (and Nic Costa) came is as Elite-11 QBs.

As much as Rich Rod loves to stockpile QBs, Stoops did the opposite:

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/sports/50381

UA quarterback leaves for Baylor
Arizona quarterback Kris Heavner said Monday he is transferring to Baylor University to be closer to family in Texas.

Heavner, who lost his starting job at midseason to Richard Kovalcheck, started 14 games the last two years for the Wildcats.

"My family will be able to see me play," Heavner said in leaving McKale Center with his belongings. "I am looking forward to a fresh start."

Heavner threw for 1,501 yards and eight touchdowns last year as a true freshman. For his career, he was 205 of 380 for 2,338 yards with 12 TDs and 19 interceptions in 16 games at the UA.

He will sit out for 2005, per an NCAA rule, as a redshirt season but then will have two years of eligibility remaining.

"They will have a senior quarterback next season, and then I will be competing against the young quarterbacks they have," Heavner said. "I'm looking forward to it. I've had to compete here."

Heavner completed the only pass he threw in Friday's win over rival ASU, a 10-yard completion to Syndric Steptoe when Kovalcheck was shaken up and missed one snap.

Baylor is located in Waco, Texas, about two hours from the family's home in Johnson City.

Kovalcheck is the UA's only quarterback on scholarship. Recruit Willie Tuitama of Stockton, Calif., will join the team next fall.

Now that's a thin bench.