2016 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: 2016 Season Thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lame
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:Cayleb Jones going pro
Unlike Scooby, I think this is an awful decision.... although I am not sure how much another year in college would have helped his draft status.

Next year our receiving corps will be Trey and the Mighty Mights... unless of course we (actually) start to make the TE position a prominent feature of the offense. I'll believe that when I see it.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:Did he tweet that or did his brother declare?
https://twitter.com/1caylebjones/status ... 9379919872" target="_blank

He's gone.

The path to 6 wins next year just got harder. On defense we lose our best DL (Gilbert), our best DB (Parks), and our best LB (Scooby). I see another defense ranked in the 100-120 range.

On offense we lose our best OL (Bundage), our best OT (Maiva) and our two big receivers (Richards/Jones). Couple that with the last two mediocre recruiting classes and its going to be a battle to get back to another low-level bowl next year.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

dmjcat wrote:

He's gone.

The path to 6 wins next year just got harder. On defense we lose our best DL (Gilbert), our best DB (Parks), and our best LB (Scooby). I see another defense ranked in the 100-120 range.

On offense we lose our best OL (Bundage), our best OT (Maiva) and our two big receivers (Richards/Jones). Couple that with the last two mediocre recruiting classes and its going to be a battle to get back to another low-level bowl next year.
[img][https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... Mwg5KAcwBw [img]

We return 3 offensive lineman. De Beer showed that he is a solid offensive lineman and is only going to get better with time. Alsadek graded out as our best offensive lineman a ton last year and he returns. Zach Hemmilla or Levi Walton will be the center and both are not bad options. Friekh took the starting job from Tagoloa and did well. Tagoloa is solid. Add guys like Creason, Kosinski, Gross, Walker, and Eletise and at least some of them should be able to provide
depth. Don't think offensive line should be worse next year and I think they improve.

Trey Griffey showed flashes of what he can do and he was injured most of this year. We don't have guys that can go up and get it like Richards or Jones other than Griffey, but Oregon only had one receiver over 6'0 who started this year. Phillips and Grant will clean up plenty in the slot. We have two solid backs in Wilson and Bradford. Our Offense will be fine I'll make an opinion on the defense after the spring, but our LB's if they stay healthy will be much better and it will make a difference
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Unlike Scooby, I think this is an awful decision.... although I am not sure how much another year in college would have helped his draft status.

Next year our receiving corps will be Trey and the Mighty Mights... unless of course we (actually) start to make the TE position a prominent feature of the offense. I'll believe that when I see it.
Harvey,

I'll second your thoughts, this was a bad decision imo, but it's his choice.

Cayleb should have got his degree first before testing the NFL waters. He's going to need something to fall back on.

I think he's a marginal NFL talent at best and I'll go as far as saying he may actually have trouble making an NFL roster for more than a cup of coffee.

It's amazing the poor advice some of these guys get.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Not surprised but I don't think he will be playing in the NFL next year. I am excited to see what Griffey can do as the #1 guy and there will always be guys who step up. RR's offense makes guys look like All-Americans. Btw, Gabe Marks at WSU said he is coming back, which is a smart decision. I think he is a better receiver than Jones and Marks knows he can get better.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought he received feed back from NFL GM's? One would think he was told he would be drafted.

In any event, good luck kid and like GC said, get your degree asap
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Irish27 wrote:Not surprised but I don't think he will be playing in the NFL next year. I am excited to see what Griffey can do as the #1 guy and there will always be guys who step up. RR's offense makes guys look like All-Americans. Btw, Gabe Marks at WSU said he is coming back, which is a smart decision. I think he is a better receiver than Jones and Marks knows he can get better.
That's a popular sentiment 'round here, but if it were true I think we'd get a couple of those guys on the All Conference team, let alone All-American one.

If Griffey can stay healthy next year, it should add an important dimension to our receiving corps/ offensive threat that will be missing if he is unavailable.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

He's gone.

[img][https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... Mwg5KAcwBw [img]

We return 3 offensive lineman. De Beer showed that he is a solid offensive lineman and is only going to get better with time. Alsadek graded out as our best offensive lineman a ton last year and he returns. Zach Hemmilla or Levi Walton will be the center and both are not bad options. Friekh took the starting job from Tagoloa and did well. Tagoloa is solid. Add guys like Creason, Kosinski, Gross, Walker, and Eletise and at least some of them should be able to provide
depth. Don't think offensive line should be worse next year and I think they improve.

Trey Griffey showed flashes of what he can do and he was injured most of this year. We don't have guys that can go up and get it like Richards or Jones other than Griffey, but Oregon only had one receiver over 6'0 who started this year. Phillips and Grant will clean up plenty in the slot. We have two solid backs in Wilson and Bradford. Our Offense will be fine I'll make an opinion on the defense after the spring, but our LB's if they stay healthy will be much better and it will make a difference
Oregon's receivers may not be Giants, but they are not midgets, either - and some of their guys with just decent size have blazing speed... something we lack.

It is what it is, and we have some undersized receivers that can be effective - but let's not pretend the talent we have returning at WR matches up with UO just because neither group includes a bunch of chiseled 6'4" leapers at the position.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Harvey Specter wrote:Oregon's receivers may not be Giants, but they are not midgets, either - and some of their guys with just decent size have blazing speed... something we lack.

It is what it is, and we have some undersized receivers that can be effective - but let's not pretend the talent we have returning at WR matches up with UO just because neither group includes a bunch of chiseled 6'4" leapers at the position.
I had to look, but it looks like OU has 5 guys 6' and above including one guy 6'5".

http://www.goducks.com/SportSelect.dbml ... OEM_ID=500" target="_blank
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Irish27 wrote:Not surprised but I don't think he will be playing in the NFL next year. I am excited to see what Griffey can do as the #1 guy and there will always be guys who step up. RR's offense makes guys look like All-Americans. Btw, Gabe Marks at WSU said he is coming back, which is a smart decision. I think he is a better receiver than Jones and Marks knows he can get better.
Marks has a QB that can get him the ball. Makes as world of difference.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azgreg wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Oregon's receivers may not be Giants, but they are not midgets, either - and some of their guys with just decent size have blazing speed... something we lack.

I had to look, but it looks like OU has 5 guys 6' and above including one guy 6'5".

http://www.goducks.com/SportSelect.dbml ... OEM_ID=500" target="_blank
They do, but only one started that was over 6'0
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Harvey,

Cayleb should have got his degree first before testing the NFL waters. He's going to need something to fall back on.

I think he's a marginal NFL talent at best and I'll go as far as saying he may actually have trouble making an NFL roster for more than a cup of coffee.

Yeah. Bad advice given by a former first round pick who played in the league for 10 years and won three Super Bowls? Come on, people. You might not like the decision, but don't try to act like it was a bad one. That just makes us look stupid, because Cayleb's family has more NFL experience than all of us put together.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Cayleb probably did get his degree or is very close to it and it wont take much to get it. He's been in college four years now
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cayleb just needs to look at Austin Hill, a top NFL prospect who never did regain his speed after injury and is out of football as far as I know.

WR roster:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Cayleb just needs to look at Austin Hill, a top NFL prospect who never did regain his speed after injury and is out of football as far as I know.
Do you mean that in terms of why he should stay or why he should go?

I see it more as an argument for leaving. Jones has a major injury next year, the pro dream is gone forever. You can come back to school, but you can't undo an injury.

Jones may not be striking while the iron is hot, but I don't know how next year was going to improve his stock.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Puerco wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Harvey,

Yeah. Bad advice given by a former first round pick who played in the league for 10 years and won three Super Bowls? Come on, people. You might not like the decision, but don't try to act like it was a bad one. That just makes us look stupid, because Cayleb's family has more NFL experience than all of us put together.
First, we have no idea what Cayleb's father thinks, and to assume that he is following Dad's advice is quite presumptive. Second, assuming Mr Jones is on board - family members and people with NFL experience never give bad advice? This on the heels of Cayleb tweeting that he would do whatever his younger brother did (as far as staying or declaring)? Yes... That is very sound decision making.

Truth is, we will not know whether or not this is a good choice until after the draft, and 2016 rosters are finalized. I can understand if he does not think next year will give him an opportunity to improve his draft stock... and he is probably not far from his degree, anyway.

But for an underclassman projected to go in the 5th-6th round to declare early is typically a bad idea. Regardless of who his father is.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Puerco wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Harvey,

First, we have no idea what Cayleb's father thinks, and to assume that he is following Dad's advice is quite presumptive. Second, assuming Mr Jones is on board - family members and people with NFL experience never give bad advice? This on the heels of Cayleb tweeting that he would do whatever his younger brother did (as far as staying or declaring)? Yes... That is very sound decision making.

Truth is, we will not know whether or not this is a good choice until after the draft, and 2016 rosters are finalized. I can understand if he does not think next year will give him an opportunity to improve his draft stock... and he is probably not far from his degree, anyway.

But for an underclassman projected to go in the 5th-6th round to declare early is typically a bad idea. Regardless of who his father is.
His Dad is definitely the force behind this decision.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:Cayleb just needs to look at Austin Hill, a top NFL prospect who never did regain his speed after injury and is out of football as far as I know.

WR roster:
He was on the Patriots practice squad a couple of times TY and was released on 12/15. Not sure that he's out of football just yet.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

So our starting QB is coming off a multiple concussion season, we lose our leading Rusher, 3 of our Top 4 WR's, 2 best OL, 2 Best DL, by far Best LB, 3 out of 4 best Safety's, and pretty good Kicker and Punter and we brought in zero mid-year JC's guys to help.

BYU - Win (Lucky playing them after major coaching change)
Grambling - Win - Dumpster Fire team
Hawaii - Win - See Grambling
Washington - Hey maybe we will be 3-0 and College Game Day comes to town - Loss
@ UCLA - Loss
@ Utah - Loss
USC - Win (We always upset some ranked team at home)
Stanford - Loss
@Washington State - Loss
Colorado - Loss (Bad feeling about this game)
@Oregon State - Win
ASU - Win

I see 6 wins, 7 if we beat Colorado and thats with beating USC and ASU, two teams which should be good. If we lose to BYU, wow could be a very long season. That middle stretch is going to be brutal as all six teams could be ranked in the Top 25 at some point next season.

I think even the most optimistic poster would be hard pressed to project us getting 8+ wins. We will need some 2014 Miracles to make that happen

But at least we have a Bye week!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Newport, I think thats about right although I don't see us losing to CU at home and I think Wazzu will be a winnable game. I think we can squeeze 8 wins if Solomon and Wilson stay healthy.

Defense will still suck but I think there is no way we lose all our LB's like we did this year so maybe we improve to the 90-100 ranked defense. Another Bowl and another payout of 2m to RR and he flirts once again with WVU or some other school
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:Newport, I think thats about right although I don't see us losing to CU at home and I think Wazzu will be a winnable game. I think we can squeeze o wins if Solomon and Wilson stay healthy.

Defense will still suck but I think there is no way we lose all our LB's Luke we did this year so maybe we improve to the 90-100 ranked defense. Another Bowl and another payout of 2m to RR and he flirts once again with WVU or some other school
Maybe we improve to 90-100??? Forgive me for reminding everyone but our defense was ranked in the 110-120 range in 2014 with a healthy Scooby, a healthy linebacking corps and a bye week.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If we can be more consistent on offense which we would be with a healthy Wilson and Solomon, we can control the game by stringing together first downs.

We will never be a top 50 defense but we can get to the upper end of the lower third. The games where we struggle offensively gets real ugly defensively. Games like the utah game and SC game at least we look average
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I think it requires a lot of hoping to believe we are going to win 8 games next season. My prediction right now is 6... The 3 OOC and Utah, Oregon St., and Colorado.

I think the linebackers who we get back from injury are a lot closer to the guys who replaced them than they are to the one who's leaving early.

But get to 8 wins somehow during the regular season and I will be happy. It will take a healthy Wilson and Solomon all season for that to be possible, and I do not think that is likely.

See an uptick in recruiting and I will be ecstatic.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Well then, I guess this starts the RichRod End-of-Contract Watch.

I can honestly say I've never been less-enthused for football in an off-season in my life. Even at the nadir of Mackovic and Stoops, I had hope for reform.

But with hope for reform in the dumpster with this regime, how does the Arizona AD sell more people on the gameday experience?

No way I see.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dmjcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Newport, I think thats about right although I don't see us losing to CU at home and I think Wazzu will be a winnable game. I think we can squeeze o wins if Solomon and Wilson stay healthy.

Defense will still suck but I think there is no way we lose all our LB's Luke we did this year so maybe we improve to the 90-100 ranked defense. Another Bowl and another payout of 2m to RR and he flirts once again with WVU or some other school
Maybe we improve to 90-100??? Forgive me for reminding everyone but our defense was ranked in the 110-120 range in 2014 with a healthy Scooby, a healthy linebacking corps and a bye week.
So tell me how San Diego can be a top 10 defense running the same 3-3-5 defense and have played some same teams and hold them to less point last yards! I'm tired of people blasting the scheme it's recruiting, lack of development and not being aggressive enough. I see us beating byu, GSU, the rainbows, UW, Utah, CU, ASU, WAzzu one the fence of beating one of the LA schools
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

3goggles wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

So tell me how San Diego can be a top 10 defense running the same 3-3-5 defense and have played some same teams and hold them to less point last yards! I'm tired of people blasting the scheme it's recruiting, lack of development and not being aggressive enough. I see us beating byu, GSU, the rainbows, UW, Utah, CU, ASU, WAzzu one the fence of beating one of the LA schools
Don't bother, the suicide pact is in full swing
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

catgrad97 wrote:Well then, I guess this starts the RichRod End-of-Contract Watch.

I can honestly say I've never been less-enthused for football in an off-season in my life. Even at the nadir of Mackovic and Stoops, I had hope for reform.

But with hope for reform in the dumpster with this regime, how does the Arizona AD sell more people on the gameday experience?

No way I see.
I would disagree about excitement level. I was in college during mackovics years so I was excited no matter what as I knew win or lose I was still having fun! I was also really pessimistic as some of you might remember before stoops last year. That just felt like a terrible year coming especially with the Oklahoma state, Stanford, Oregon gauntlet to start the year. I think it was three straight top ten teams. That whole season I felt like we were going to watch a train crash. And we did.

I am lukewarm about next year, feels like a meh season. If kick Wilson and anu stay healthy we should score points to get us to six wins I think and maybe we have an upset or two. I think just another typical Arizona football season not awful but nothing great that gets a more realistic fan like me in a blah state.

Tough to be excited but I don't think we will go winless or anything close to that.

I am still shocked rich Rod didn't leave. I would have in a heart beat.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Fishclamps wrote:
3goggles wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Don't bother, the suicide pact is in full swing
Good luck fish being optimistic about Arizona football when we recruit such average players. I can tell you how the movie ends now. The good guy doesn't get the girl
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:I can tell you how the movie ends now. The good guy doesn't get the girl
Since you've already thrown in the towel, does this mean you won't be posting about UA football and we won't get to read any of your hot takes about how everything is terrible?

Shucks...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Newportcat wrote:I can tell you how the movie ends now. The good guy doesn't get the girl
I'm never optimistic about football, but I also never sit here opining about how bad we are and what could be.

Like I've said before, I'm a fan of the school above anything else, I take the good and bad.

I was just saying there's no point in trying to sway either side, the lines have been drawn after this season with people on this board.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Since you've already thrown in the towel, does this mean you won't be posting about UA football and we won't get to read any of your hot takes about how everything is terrible?

Shucks...
Of course not, what fun would that be Chicat. I actually agreed completely with you letter to Rich Rod too.

I don't think everything is terrible, terrible would be Colorado football. We are just an average program that has average coaches mixed with average recruits mixed with average facilities with an average history.

I hate being average in anything.

I support all things U of A too that's why next week I am hosting my fifth current Eller student to do a job shadow day with me in Orange County. It's why I had a u of a student as my intern last summer. It's why I have given money every single year since I graduated from school to the U of A. U of A is literally in my blood. Just because I or other posters are not optimistic about our football team does not mean we do not support the U of A. I actually think it's the opposite. I love the U of A and want to see everything around the program succeed and it is mind numbing to me why we are so average in football.

But i love to share my opinions on a message board because that's what message boards are for. Fish with your logic we should all just sit here staring at each other. This was a 2016 thread and I actually posted my prediction on our record next year. That's what people do on message boards in the off season. Curious to know your predictions for each game next year.

Chicat I used to like you, what happened????
Last edited by Newportcat on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:Chicat I used to like you, what happened????
:lol:

Hope springs eternal, Newport. If you've already decided that there is no room for hope in your heart, why be a fan?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sid

Post by Sid »

Fishclamps wrote:
I'm never optimistic about football, but I also never sit here opining about how bad we are and what could be.

Like I've said before, I'm a fan of the school above anything else, I take the good and bad.

I was just saying there's no point in trying to sway either side, the lines have been drawn after this season with people on this board.
Speaking of taking the good & bad, a lot of recent discussion here on how our recruiting absolutely sucks. Amazing how Fucla has had monster recruiting classes the past 3 years and continue to be touted as a Pac 12 contender & possible playoff team every freaking preseason recently? Oh, they had injuries this season...

We had more......and our win/loss record is also similar. We also didn't get embarrassed by a mediocre Nebraska team in a bowl game. I do get depressed thinking about what Rich Rod would be able to accomplish with the abundance of talent that Jimmy has been blessed with. We can ill afford a injury riddled season as we all witnessed, but the ruins have no real excuse. We will get healthy and address our glaring defensive weaknesses in this offseason....

This is why I will remain optimistic and hope for a GREAT 2016 season.

BTFD
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fishclamps wrote: I'm never optimistic about football, but I also never sit here opining about how bad we are and what could be.

Same here. I go into the football season with very low expectations. Been waiting since 1981 as a UA freshman to be in the Rose Bowl (or equiv), and really doubt it is going to happen in my lifetime. Even harder now with more teams, and dang near impossible if the PAC gets Texas and Oklahoma.

But I still watch every game, and am glad when they win, and not so glad when they lose.

Basketball I never expect to lose a game though. 40-0!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I love U of A and I love College Football and I am optimistic when I have a reason to be optimistic.

There would be room for hope in my heart if we recruited better players. Average recruits has gotten us average results for the entire history of our program. My finance teacher at u of a taught us that if you have bad inputs it does not matter how pretty your financial model is, the outputs will be bad. I think the same thing with Arizona football. No matter how anyone tries to spin it, average recruits leads to average results. Tough for me to get excited or hopeful for average results

For instance, I am very optimistic and have a lot of hope for Arizona Baseball. I think we have outstanding facilities with an outstanding history with great fan support. Most importantly, we bring in great recruits. This year our class was a top 25 class with a coaching change. So I am very hopeful for the future even though we play in a very tough conference.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Fishclamps wrote:

"Lines have been drawn"????

What are you talking about??? A number of people in this thread have simply stated (with good reason) that the UA is likely to have another lackluster season (6-7 wins) next year. How does that make them "Line drawers"?.

Seems to me that you are the only one who is drawing lines here.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:

What are you talking about??? A number of people in this thread have simply stated (with good reason) that the UA is likely to have another lackluster season (6-7 wins) next year. How does that make them "Line drawers"?.

I think what he was saying is that there is a clear delineation between those who are pessimistic about this season and those who are optimistic. Why don't you calm your tits down?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Sid wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:

Speaking of taking the good & bad, a lot of recent discussion here on how our recruiting absolutely sucks. Amazing how Fucla has had monster recruiting classes the past 3 years and continue to be touted as a Pac 12 contender & possible playoff team every freaking preseason recently? Oh, they had injuries this season...

We had more......and our win/loss record is also similar. We also didn't get embarrassed by a mediocre Nebraska team in a bowl game. I do get depressed thinking about what Rich Rod would be able to accomplish with the abundance of talent that Jimmy has been blessed with. We can ill afford a injury riddled season as we all witnessed, but the ruins have no real excuse. We will get healthy and address our glaring defensive weaknesses in this offseason....

BTFD
I hope for a great 2016... always do. Although I am not optimistic.

I think a number of us who are skeptical on the football team next season have simply adjusted to a "show me" outlook on RR & staff. Many suggest RR owes UA no loyalty, because this "is business". Fair enough, except that many of those same folks also seem to think that we owe him some sort of 'loyalty'. Sorry, I disagree.

My loyalty will be dictated by his performance and I will have a "what have you done for me lately" outlook. He is very well paid for his efforts... that's what he gets for doing his job. Do it well and he will continue to get paid handsomely. Demonstrate that he is here for the long haul, and for more than the biggest paycheck he can command, and he'll get more from me. But not until then.

I think he has done a pretty good job here, overall... but I also tire of the proclamations by many who put his achievements on a pedestal that I believe is unwarranted. We have been a mediocre program that had a very nice year that ended in embarrassment. That's it.

As for the post above.

1. Coaches are not 'blessed' with recruits. They go out and get them... UCLA certainly has inherent recruiting advantages, but that is nothing new. They always have... and we are past the stage of discussing 'talent in the program' when each coach was hired.

2.RR was 'blessed' with tremendous talent at Michigan (both inherited and recruited) and we saw what happened there. So the 'talent he inherited' did not fit his system... probably true, but he did not do anything with it.

3. Careful on talking about how 'embarrassing' it would be to lose to Nebraska. Had we played them, I think there is a very good chance we would have, too. UNM was a road game, but they gave us a run for our money and were no juggernaut. Some may believe than the Lobos were a more formidable foe than the Huskers... their prerogative, I disagree.

All I want is for the program to be a success... as for the 'benefit of the doubt at every turn' and excuses for every challenge or failure - I am done with that, as far as the current staff is concerned.

Deliver a consistent winning conference team that beats our chief rival at least as often as we lose to them, and the coaches will have my support. Don't and they won't. But I will cheer for their teams every week for as long as they are here.

Next year is critical. We either prove that this past season was an aberration and the program is progressing... or it will be on the same trajectory as Stoops' was in his final 5 seasons here.

And for the record... Stoops did a 'pretty good job here' too, until things started to unravel in his last 12 games over a 2-season span. He had a few years where he struggled... that was in part because the program he inherited was an epic dumpster fire (far worse than what he left, regardless of what people want to say now). That, and he had a bigger learning curve early on, as this was his first HC gig. RR commanded a significantly bigger salary as a guy with many years of experience.... he should have been expected to get out of the gates faster.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

speaking of "what have you done for me lately?", RR last won consistently at West Virginia, and that's not exactly lately. Looks like he's still paid based on that long ago success.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Sid wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:

BTFD
I hope for a great 2016... always do. Although I am not optimistic.

I think a number of us who are skeptical on the football team next season have simply adjusted to a "show me" outlook on RR & staff. Many suggest RR owes UA no loyalty, because this "is business". Fair enough, except that many of those same folks also seem to think that we owe him some sort of 'loyalty'. Sorry, I disagree.

My loyalty will be dictated by his performance and I will have a "what have you done for me lately" outlook. He is very well paid for his efforts... that's what he gets for doing his job. Do it well and he will continue to get paid handsomely. Demonstrate that he is here for the long haul, and for more than the biggest paycheck he can command, and he'll get more from me. But not until then.

I think he has done a pretty good job here, overall... but I also tire of the proclamations by many who put his achievements on a pedestal that I believe is unwarranted. We have been a mediocre program that had a very nice year that ended in embarrassment. That's it.

As for the post above.

1. Coaches are not 'blessed' with recruits. They go out and get them... UCLA certainly has inherent recruiting advantages, but that is nothing new. They always have... and we are past the stage of discussing 'talent in the program' when each coach was hired. Not true.

*Plenty of examples exist of recruits that grew up loving a specific school and end up attending that institution without ever giving another school a chance. No need to "go out and get them" they had that kid at hello.

2.RR was 'blessed' with tremendous talent at Michigan (both inherited and recruited) and we saw what happened there. So the 'talent he inherited' did not fit his system... probably true, but he did not do anything with it.

*I don't have the free time now to debate this with you, but let's do it soon. I think it would be a lot of fun! :)

3. Careful on talking about how 'embarrassing' it would be to lose to Nebraska. Had we played them, I think there is a very good chance we would have, too. UNM was a road game, but they gave us a run for our money and were no juggernaut. Some may believe than the Lobos were a more formidable foe than the Huskers... their prerogative, I disagree.

*Never once did I compare UNM to Nebraska. Recent history tells us that most opponents have caused us fits in bowl games. No shit, Nebraska would've given us a game. I don't need to be careful, Fucla's performance was absolutely EMBARRASSING!

All I want is for the program to be a success... as for the 'benefit of the doubt at every turn' and excuses for every challenge or failure - I am done with that, as far as the current staff is concerned.

Deliver a consistent winning conference team that beats our chief rival at least as often as we lose to them, and the coaches will have my support. Don't and they won't. But I will cheer for their teams every week for as long as they are here. I agree with this.

* I agree too!

Next year is critical. We either prove that this past season was an aberration and the program is progressing... or it will be on the same trajectory as Stoops' was in his final 5 seasons here.

And for the record... Stoops did a 'pretty good job here' too, until things started to unravel in his last 12 games over a 2-season span. He had a few years where he struggled... that was in part because the program he inherited was an epic dumpster fire (far worse than what he left, regardless of what people want to say now). That, and he had a bigger learning curve early on, as this was his first HC gig. RR commanded a significantly bigger salary as a guy with many years of experience.... he should have been expected to get out of the gates faster.

*I most certainly agree Stoops got dealt the shittier hand. I guess I feel we would all be a tad bit more optimistic had that shit storm of injuries never happened. I also feel Rich got dealt a real Shitty hand in that regard.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

To people who are confused by what I meant when I said lines were drawn...

I mean that in our normal discourse one of us might be able to sway another with thought provoking discussion, stats to back up our assertions, or insight into what is actually going on.

In the case of Rich Rod, NO ONE is changing ANYONE'S mind here about how they feel about him.

It's obvious some here have a very clear distaste for our current coach and there's people that don't. I really don't care that people dislike him, that's your prerogative, but it's getting really fucking old wading through every thread to find any real football knowledge and true discussion in these threads anymore before they devolve into someone flinging shit on RR or people getting into petty arguments.

I think we know where everyone stands on the RR thing, and it should be given a rest till next season.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:Newport, I think thats about right although I don't see us losing to CU at home and I think Wazzu will be a winnable game. I think we can squeeze 8 wins if Solomon and Wilson stay healthy.

Defense will still suck but I think there is no way we lose all our LB's like we did this year so maybe we improve to the 90-100 ranked defense. Another Bowl and another payout of 2m to RR and he flirts once again with WVU or some other school
I say BS on RR flirting again if WVU come calling or other school. Not one school would dare to risk it all to acquired RR. Even if WVU did came calling for RR I highly doubt it they wont take him back.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:

I think what he was saying is that there is a clear delineation between those who are pessimistic about this season and those who are optimistic. Why don't you calm your tits down?
There is a distinct difference between being REALISTIC and pessimistic.

As far as calming tits it appears that you and Fishclamps need breast enhancements :lol: :lol: :lol:
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

3goggles wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

That an easy one, Their in the MW not the PAC 12. Rocky Longs run his 3-3-5 the same way Casteel is running his 3-3-5 but the big difference is their playing against lesser competition and were playing against quality competition. Me and rest of everyone to say that the 3-3-5 doesn't work against quality teams but can work against lesser team. It doesn't prove that the scheme can be productive in some level. Do you think San Diego State can fare easily in the Pac 12 if their defense was in the Top Ten.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:

As far as calming tits it appears that you and Fishclamps need breast enhancements :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm as cool as a cucumber brother 8-)
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Fishclamps wrote:To people who are confused by what I meant when I said lines were drawn...

I mean that in our normal discourse one of us might be able to sway another with thought provoking discussion, stats to back up our assertions, or insight into what is actually going on.

In the case of Rich Rod, NO ONE is changing ANYONE'S mind here about how they feel about him.

It's obvious some here have a very clear distaste for our current coach and there's people that don't. I really don't care that people dislike him, that's your prerogative, but it's getting really fucking old wading through every thread to find any real football knowledge and true discussion in these threads anymore before they devolve into someone flinging shit on RR or people getting into petty arguments.

I think we know where everyone stands on the RR thing, and it should be given a rest till next season.
I don't disagree that no one is changing anyone's opinion but to call me out after I actually posted my predictions of each game for 2016 seems crazy. I actually posted to discuss the 2016 team and didn't mention rich Rod. For the record I think he is a great offensive coach who is loyal to a bad defensive scheme. I think he is an average recruiter and I don't think he is loyal and will eventually leave for a better job.

However, can other's please post their 2016 predictions game by game as I typically like hearing people discuss who we play etc.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:

DM, thank you for being the voice of reason always when it comes to U of A football.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:DM, thank you for being the voice of reason always when it comes to U of A football.
Awww, I'm a sucker for a good love story. So happy you found each other.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Chicat I used to like you, what happened????
:lol:

Hope springs eternal, Newport. If you've already decided that there is no room for hope in your heart, why be a fan?
There is plenty of room for hope. Like I have mentioned I have massive hope for Arizona baseball right now. We might struggle initially under Our new coach but I think we will eventually succeed and potentially in a big way.

It is tough to have hope (a belief that tomorrow will be better then today) when you do not recruit talented players. I think that is blind dumb hope based on emotions and not logic. I will never have big hope for Arizona Football until we start recruiting better players.

What's funny is it seems so obvious to me and I never understand the justification for people being optimistic about Arizona football. Arizona basketball, baseball, softball, hell swimming or golf I get but football. I see being a fan but optimistic that things will go really well in light of all the data that says otherwise seems absurd and setting yourself up for failure.

Now if you are optimistic to win six games that's one thing but that doesn't seem like optimism to me