Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SCCats

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by SCCats »

fuck :(
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Well that's a great start to 2016. I am sure it does not matter because Tate is a better athlete anyway. Right?

So much for our QB. Hopefully our 'athlete who wants to be a QB' can actually play QB. Oh yeah... and also stays committed. Cuz our REAL QB appears to be headed elsewhere.

I just hope he ends up at UCLA and not ASU. Cannot blame the kid though, right? I mean, it's just business... He'd be foolish not to kick tires and see what else is out there.

I am sure there will be the 'this had nothing to do with RR looking' contingent. Both he and Tate were committed for HOW long? Tate committed a month before Modster did... But Modster had a change of heart now? Sure.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:Well that's a great start to 2016. I am sure it does not matter because Tate is a better athlete anyway. Right?

So much for our QB. Hopefully our 'athlete who wants to be a QB' can actually play QB. Oh yeah... and also stays committed. Cuz our REAL QB appears to be headed elsewhere.

I just hope he ends up at UCLA and not ASU. Cannot blame the kid though, right? I mean, it's just business... He'd be foolish not to kick tires and see what else is out there.

I am sure there will be the 'this had nothing to do with RR looking' contingent. Both he and Tate were committed for HOW long? Tate committed a month before Modster did... But Modster had a change of heart now? Sure.
I'd much rather have Modster, but this isn't the first recruit we've ever lost so while I will agree RR looking at SC didn't help, he might have just changed his mind. He is a kid after all.

Yet again we don't have to split this up into those who like or dislike RR...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I was actually surprised we had kept both of them this long.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Looks like he is a sophomore. 3 years to play 2, or has he redshirted already?

EDIT:
I hope Doucet has picked up some foot speed since his combine days in HS (4.97 in the forty?????)

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... pri-doucet" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Modster's HC at Tesoro is an Arizona alum. This had nothing to do with anything but Modster knowing he did not fit well in RR's offensive system. No need to panic or get distraught. Modster is surrounded with ex-players and smart mamajamas. This had nothing to do with RR's flirting with SC.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Competition scares some kids.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:Competition scares some kids.

Nothing to do with that. Modster has the tools to beat Tate, Dawkins, or Solomon. All about RR's scheme and his advice.
SoutherAZ

Post by SoutherAZ »

Modster's decision to decommit may have nothing to do with RR and his dalliance with SC, BUUUUUTTTTT this will be used against Arizona by other coaches. If RR isn't committed to Arizona, why should recruits commit or stay committed.

It's all about appearances now.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Well that's a great start to 2016. I am sure it does not matter because Tate is a better athlete anyway. Right?

I'd much rather have Modster, but this isn't the first recruit we've ever lost so while I will agree RR looking at SC didn't help, he might have just changed his mind. He is a kid after all.

Yet again we don't have to split this up into those who like or dislike RR...
BINGO. I didn't get excited when we received a commitment from Modster or give the staff credit for landing him. I also did not point out that Doucet might be a better pickup than others suggested. Oh wait...

So we lose what was one of the few real jewels of this class. I'll praise them with good news and be disappointed at bad news. The staff gets credit for landing kids and responsibility for losing them - it is their job, and they are paid for results, not effort. Really not all that complicated or difficult to understand. Just business.

Sorry I don't drop to my knees and assume the position to exonerate the staff with every piece of news, good or bad. Credit and blame where deserved... This was a big loss.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SoutherAZ wrote:Modster's decision to decommit may have nothing to do with RR and his dalliance with SC, BUUUUUTTTTT this will be used against Arizona by other coaches. If RR isn't committed to Arizona, why should recruits commit or stay committed.

^^^ Yup
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
SoutherAZ wrote:Modster's decision to decommit may have nothing to do with RR and his dalliance with SC, BUUUUUTTTTT this will be used against Arizona by other coaches. If RR isn't committed to Arizona, why should recruits commit or stay committed.

^^^ Yup
Agreed.....this is what I feared would happen when RR decided to shop around at SC. I bought into the whole RR thing and wouldn't have uttered a peep of criticism even after a disappointing year and recruiting cycle had he not shown his true, open and publicized, interest in moving on.

Now, i feel like it's just a matter of a few years before yet another HC coaching change......would be shocked if RR is still here 2 years from now.....Yeah, yeah, for all the RR loyalists "It's a business, it's a business, blah blah blah....' Well, RR is reaping what he's sown. Bummer for those of us who really love the U of A.

Thank God for Sean Miller!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:

Nothing to do with that. Modster has the tools to beat Tate, Dawkins, or Solomon. All about RR's scheme and his advice.
The scheme didn't change from the day he committed to now and I call shenanigans on him not being a good fit for this offense. He's a better passer than Anu and a better athlete. Tell me how Arizona can run 2 years of Anu Solomon offense, but couldn't run a Modster one. Sure....

I know Burmeister is supposed to be the golden child, so let's hope and pray the staff can somehow miraculously hold on to a guy that's tailor made to kill it in this offense. I certainly doubt Arizona will be able to hold on to him for another year though of course.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

What did I say? I knew folks were gonna say, "see what happens after RR talks to SoCar." Like a kid hasn't ever decommitted before. No one except for Modster and maybe his parents really know why he's had a change of mind. I think Anu's concussion's probably made him think a little bit about playing in RR's offense. A QB really takes a pounding in the zone read, and if you can make a living in the pocket, why expose yourself to that? At least that is what I choose to think because it is logical.

Also, I noticed there are some folks really "butt hurt" to find out college football is a business. Most kids choose their school based on which will get them the most playing time, most wins, and best coaching to prep for the next level. It is not to make a bunch of winey football fans happy, they are trying to get a job....just like everyone in college. Is that a surprise? Talk to any of the coaches and you'll quickly figure out that they are not "Rah Rah" like you are, they are mercenaries. Yes, they are gonna see if there is a better opportunity around the corner unless they are at a destination school like Bama or USC. Of course there are exceptions like Goff who was a kid of a Cal Alum. He could have gone to USC or Stanford and had a way more successful career, but going to Cal didn't limit his chances of making it to the NFL.

Anyways...it sucks he decommitted but it happens. He probably would have decommitted regardless of RR talking to SoCar. There are 100 reason's for him to go to another school and he has recruiters, family, friends, and team mates telling him that every day. At the end of the day, we'll be OK at the QB position, I'm still more worried about defense.
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

One fact that many posters seen to forget is that the University of Arizona has academic standards that some top athletes can not meet.
I'm not saying this is the case with Modster, but maybe some top athletes de-commit rather than have their academic shortcomings exposed, or want to go through the community college/Greyshirt route. I think we are in good shape with Anu, Dawkins, Tate, Neves, and Burmeister..if he stays.

Also, Zach Werlinger threw for 3,242 yards with a 62 percent completion percentage and 25 touchdowns in 2013 for Basha High School. The one series he did get in last year, he scored a TD on a long run. Was it one play? He's probably saying "More reps for me!"

Tate is a great runner and looks like a better passer than many give him credit for. Look at his Sr. year highlights.

Modster has had time to see Tate and Neves up close and personal at a QB camp. Neves has a BIG arm and "Maybe" Modster wasn't hearing that Neves is supposed to play LB?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Modster was the top commit I hoped wouldn't decommit. Tate is a great athlete and there are reasons why many of the schools don't offer him as a QB.

I guess AZ's new DB's coach and AZ's best recruiter on staff couldn't keep Modster (some snark here).
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Footballjunkie wrote:One fact that many posters seen to forget is that the University of Arizona has academic standards that some top athletes can not meet.
I'm not saying this is the case with Modster, but maybe some top athletes de-commit rather than have their academic shortcomings exposed, or want to go through the community college/Greyshirt route. I think we are in good shape with Anu, Dawkins, Tate, Neves, and Burmeister..if he stays.

Also, Zach Werlinger threw for 3,242 yards with a 62 percent completion percentage and 25 touchdowns in 2013 for Basha High School. The one series he did get in last year, he scored a TD on a long run. Was it one play? He's probably saying "More reps for me!"

Tate is a great runner and looks like a better passer than many give him credit for. Look at his Sr. year highlights.

Modster has had time to see Tate and Neves up close and personal at a QB camp. Neves has a BIG arm and "Maybe" Modster wasn't hearing that Neves is supposed to play LB?
Neves was recruited as a linebacker.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

This is really bad as From what I was told and had posted before Modster was a much better QB prospect then Tate and has all the tools to be a legit PAC 12 QB. My sources feel like Tate will never be a QB.

I was most excited for Modster in this class as I am not sold on Anu or Dawkins and I loved seein is finally recruit Orange County

Chief I don't disagree with your logic as I know you probably know his head coach at Tesoro well (who I think used to post at Goazcats back in the day)

However he took his visits, knew the system and committed. This seems like something else is going on.

Happy new year.....
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:This seems like something else is going on.
Like...?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Footballjunkie wrote:One fact that many posters seen to forget is that the University of Arizona has academic standards that some top athletes can not meet.

Neves was recruited as a linebacker.
Come on now... it will make us feel better to believe that Modster was afraid of competing with him for PT after seeing him at camps, and believing that Modster might fall short of achieving UA's lofty academic requirements for prospective students athletes. Someone needs to let Cal and UCLA know...

I had forgotten about Werlinger... but he was, after all, a member of the 'greatest group of walk-on's in the country'.

As long as Anu stays, I doubt anyone takes his spot until he graduates, anyway. Hopefully Tate really can play QB at the P12 level; he just feels like another Jerrard Randall, with the upside of being another Dennard Robinson (Neither one excites me). Then again, we will not know until down the road. RG3 went to Baylor because other schools (I see you Mack Brown) did not recruit him as a QB.

Losing Modster may not hurt... if Tate can actually be a QB, and Burmeister is as good as advertised and stays committed. Although our record with real early QB stud commitments sticking is not very good... but maybe one will finally stick.

But Neves and Werlinger don't ease the sting... nor does our elevated admissions requirements. :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA has an acceptance rate of 74.6 percent.

Most schools allow the athletic department to do their own admissions, as long as they meat the minimum requirements.

I believe UCLA athletes have to go through the regular admissions process, but Cal athletics does their own.

Always wondered about Modster, since he ranked as a DPB (drop back passer) not dual threat like Tate.

But apparently from what I read here, Tate has really bad form and will need a lot of work to be a PAC-12 QB.

Denker couldn't throw worth shit either.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Have no idea why he changed his mind and it looks n like either Boise St or Okie St are likely destinations.

To me it seemed like RR was salivating over Tate and Rod Smith was salivating over Burmeister with no one exactly salivating over him
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Have no idea why he changed his mind and it looks n like either Boise St or Okie St are likely destinations.

To me it seemed like RR was salivating over Tate and Rod Smith was salivating over Burmeister with no one exactly salivating over him
Just so long as it's not ASU...
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Have no idea why he changed his mind and it looks n like either Boise St or Okie St are likely destinations.

ASU is no longer in the market for a QB this class. I am hearing Oklahoma State put feelers out to see if DSC would flip from ASU, and has since focused their attention on Modster.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Merkin wrote:UA has an acceptance rate of 74.6 percent.

Most schools allow the athletic department to do their own admissions, as long as they meat the minimum requirements.

I believe UCLA athletes have to go through the regular admissions process, but Cal athletics does their own.

Always wondered about Modster, since he ranked as a DPB (drop back passer) not dual threat like Tate.

But apparently from what I read here, Tate has really bad form and will need a lot of work to be a PAC-12 QB.

Wisconsin is the only P5 school I know of that does not have different admission requirements for their student athletes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:

Wisconsin is the only P5 school I know of that does not have different admission requirements for their student athletes.
http://dailybruin.com/2009/01/06/emucla ... ds-athlet/" target="_blank

UCLA can add another record-breaker to its list of sports statistics: largest SAT score gap between athletes and non-athletes. According to a new survey of 54 public universities released by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the average athlete at UCLA scored 247 points lower on the SATs than the average non-athlete, a greater difference than at any other university surveyed.

On a 1600-point scale, 247 points is clearly significant. What is less clear is how important the difference in SAT scores is to education on campus and the admissions process.

For most college applicants, high school grade point average and standardized testing ““ either with the SAT or the ACT ““ are the major factors that determine whether they are accepted by a school. Extracurricular activities can make a difference but rarely make up for two hundred-plus points on the SAT.

Unless that extracurricular is a sport, apparently. More than 61 percent of athletes at UCLA were accepted by “special admit,” while for the overall student body, less than three percent are accepted that way.

The score gap grows for football and men’s basketball ““ 340 and 345 fewer points, respectively, at UCLA. This seems to suggest that the more popular a sport is, the more lenient admissions is to get better players. Some administrators admit that this is true but a necessary part of collegiate sports.

“Every institution I know in the country operates in the same way. It may or may not be a good thing, but that’s the way it is,” said Tom Lifka, chairman of the committee for athlete admissions at UCLA, in an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/art ... 984721.php" target="_blank

UC Berkeley, the world's top-ranked public university, is admitting student athletes with shockingly low grades and scores if they show promise as revenue-generating football or basketball players, say two Cal scholars whose new study helps explain why athletes on campus have the worst graduation rates in the country.
While the highly competitive university routinely turns away applicants who earn straight A's in high school, it has also been admitting student athletes on full scholarship even if their average high school grade was a B-minus. Its policy, in fact, permits a C average.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

"Different Admissions Requirement"

What does that even mean? Like Geometry wasn't required? Only 2 years of English?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Every school has minimum admissions requirements. For example, here in CA they have different requirements for the CSU and the UC systems. http://admission.universityofcalifornia ... matrix.pdf" target="_blank

Athletes just need to meet the minimum requirements to be accepted.

Non-athletes need to compete to get into some of these schools, and therefor have much higher grades and placement scores than athletes.

Athletes still need to compete academically with non-athletes who may be much smarter, and many fail. Cal is actually making changes, and will only recruit athletes that they think can graduate.

Think Stanford has been doing that for years.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:This seems like something else is going on.
Like...?
Afraid rich Rod won't be around and will leave during his tenure after his South Carolina flirtation.

Could be wrong and would trust Cheif as I know that Tesoro had U of A connections on its staff but why do this now. The guy took three summer visits to UCLA, Boise state, and U of a. He went through the process then committed to us after Tate was already committed. He never seemed like a rushed commit like others sometimes do. Boise seems doubtful even though his brother is there as they have a good true freshmen QB

I will ask my buddy who knows SoCal recruiting well and get his take and report back
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azcat49 wrote:To me it seemed like RR was salivating over Tate and Rod Smith was salivating over Burmeister with no one exactly salivating over him
Any inside info or evidence of that?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrBug708 wrote:"Different Admissions Requirement"

What does that even mean? Like Geometry wasn't required? Only 2 years of English?
Serious question...

What % of the scholarship BB/ FB athletes at Cal, UCLA, & USC do you think would be accepted into their respective school if they were simply applying as HS students (and not athletes in rev generating sports)?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Merkin wrote:Every school has minimum admissions requirements. For example, here in CA they have different requirements for the CSU and the UC systems. http://admission.universityofcalifornia ... matrix.pdf" target="_blank

Non-athletes need to compete to get into some of these schools, and therefor have much higher grades and placement scores than athletes.

Athletes still need to compete academically with non-athletes who may be much smarter, and many fail. Cal is actually making changes, and will only recruit athletes that they think can graduate.

Former Raider Fullback, Jon Ritchie, went to ND and Stanford. He said Stanford required him to be admitted by the school under the normal process and even ND didn't require him to do that.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I know you weren't implying that Tate's upside is to be another Denker (Tate is a much better athlete that can play multiple positions, if need be)... but the fact that people even think of Denker when Tate's name comes up is a big reason the Modster de-commit concerns me.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UALoco wrote:
Merkin wrote:Every school has minimum admissions requirements. For example, here in CA they have different requirements for the CSU and the UC systems. http://admission.universityofcalifornia ... matrix.pdf" target="_blank

Former Raider Fullback, Jon Ritchie, went to ND and Stanford. He said Stanford required him to be admitted by the school under the normal process and even ND didn't require him to do that.
I went to HS with a kid that attended Stanford on a FB scholarship; he was a good-to-very good student and He barely got in; had he not been a scholarship FB athlete there is no way he would have even been considered.

As for Notre Dame, they lead the pack IMO when it comes to hypocrisy re: their tough admission requirements limiting the student athletes they can recruit. I know a teacher of a kid who went there a few years ago and she said he barely graduated HS and struggled to get the NCAA minimum on his SAT's.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:"Different Admissions Requirement"

Serious question...

What % of the scholarship BB/ FB athletes at Cal, UCLA, & USC do you think would be accepted into their respective school if they were simply applying as HS students (and not athletes in rev generating sports)?
I'd say most wouldn't get in. Rosen, Brendel, Woods but most not
Scummy Dick Douglas

Keep in mind that Harbaugh was effective in changing Stanford admission requirements for football players. They by no means recruit idiots, but the current roster is littered with kids that would not have been admitted prior to Harbaugh finagling more conducive admissions.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I don't think that's accurate at all
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:

It may not be him personally but we all know that it's usually not just the kid making these decisions.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

ASU is no longer in the market for a QB this class. I am hearing Oklahoma State put feelers out to see if DSC would flip from ASU, and has since focused their attention on Modster.
Not even about OK state
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Is Khalil Tate now tweeting things to make people think he's changing his mind about AZ then quickly deleting the tweets? Reminds me of Naijiel Hale.

Serious question... Is Tate tweeting stuff out, then deleting?

BTW: Tweets I saw Tate send out then delete were:

"I've talked to my parents"

"U"

"S"
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Who's "Burmeister"?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

2017 QB recruit. One of the best in the country
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azcat49 wrote:2017 QB recruit. One of the best in the country
So, another highly-rated QB who commits really early, hopefully with a different outcome than that Cavalry Baptist QB who switched to LSU...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

qwertyus wrote:
azcat49 wrote:2017 QB recruit. One of the best in the country
So, another highly-rated QB who commits really early, hopefully with a different outcome than that Cavalry Baptist QB who switched to LSU...
That kid is Shea Patterson and he is now committed to Ole Miss.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And is tge #1 QB and by some the #1 player in that class. Of course he was going to wherever his brother was employed
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

It is official. Silly Season has started!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sounds like Burton is delaying announcement. I'm assuming because of uncertainty surrounding UCLA's coaching situation
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:Keep in mind that Harbaugh was effective in changing Stanford admission requirements for football players. They by no means recruit idiots, but the current roster is littered with kids that would not have been admitted prior to Harbaugh finagling more conducive admissions.
I was under the impression that the change Stanford made under Harbaugh is the coaches take a nameless application to admissions and ask if the kid would be in. Otherwise, what if anything they could do to improve their chances. It gives the athletes an advantage to have that sort of feedback from admissions, but it is very different from fudging the requirements to get someone in.

Is that what you were referring to, or is there something different going on now?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Is Khalil Tate now tweeting things to make people think he's changing his mind about AZ then quickly deleting the tweets? Reminds me of Naijiel Hale.

"U"

"S"
I think twitter could be the worst thing to ever happen to teenagers/college students. Allowing them to post their immediate thoughts for the world to see is like pouring a tank of gasoline on a fire.

I had a U of A intern this summer and I made him make his twitter private, it was just dumb the stuff he posted and didn't realize that the entire planet can read or see it
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Newportcat wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Is Khalil Tate now tweeting things to make people think he's changing his mind about AZ then quickly deleting the tweets? Reminds me of Naijiel Hale.

"U"

"S"
I think twitter could be the worst thing to ever happen to teenagers/college students. Allowing them to post their immediate thoughts for the world to see is like pouring a tank of gasoline on a fire.

I had a U of A intern this summer and I made him make his twitter private, it was just dumb the stuff he posted and didn't realize that the entire planet can read or see it
Feels like these aren't real Tweets from him. Almost like a friend stole his phone and wants him to go to SC. If he was really flipping, he'd flip. His background is still UA and no one seems to think he's flipping.