Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

carolinacat

Re: Fire Casteel

Post by carolinacat »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Casteel coach from the sideline? Always thought it was better to have your O and D coordinators up in the booth where they can see the whole field, plus the television game feeds and use that birds-eye view to make adjustments on the fly. Hopefully the next guy we get is in the booth and relaying stuff down to the position coaches.

I've said that for the last four years but was scoffed. Good perception though.
I don't think that matters. Mickey Andrews never coached FSU's defense from the press box and they seemed to be pretty damn good under him for two decades.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Newportcat wrote:Casteel was fired!
Holy shit!

People said this could never occur, but people (and by people I mean GB and RR) can see into the future; they can understand that, if the defense has another year like it just had (and I'd put the chance of that at probably around 90% personally), it wasn't going to be just Casteel's job on the line. Another 3-6 conference year with no changes having been made wasn't just going to put Casteel's job on the line.

I'm glad they decided to move now and not try to wait another year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

carolinacat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Is it possible that this was mandated by GB?
I think the question should be, is it possible that this was RR's own decision without any pressure. I think the answer to that is no. RR runs the program, but Byrne runs the AD and the boosters also have some say and some pressure. Everyone saw this coming and knew a change had to happen. Still, until recruiting changes significantly, it's all smoke and mirrors regardless of the scheme you run.
I think scheme can and does have a lot to do with recruiting. The 3-3-5 is a tough sell to dlinemen (you get like zero stats) and linebackers (lot of tackles, but a lot of injuries) if you play it the way Casteel did. If you get a guy who is aggressive with his blitzes and play-calling, you can show kids that 4 or 5 or 6 guys will all be crashing the pocket and that they'll rack up plenty of TFLs and sacks. No one wants to be a tackling dummy or to be on your heels on an island as some 200lb running back with a head of steam comes barreling at you. They want to attack and get on Sportscenter like Scooby was able to do. That's the pitch recruits want to hear, even if you're running some half-baked dime package all the time.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Explains the timing.

Chicat wrote:
carolinacat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Is it possible that this was mandated by GB?
I think the question should be, is it possible that this was RR's own decision without any pressure. I think the answer to that is no. RR runs the program, but Byrne runs the AD and the boosters also have some say and some pressure. Everyone saw this coming and knew a change had to happen. Still, until recruiting changes significantly, it's all smoke and mirrors regardless of the scheme you run.
I think scheme can and does have a lot to do with recruiting. The 3-3-5 is a tough sell to dlinemen (you get like zero stats) and linebackers (lot of tackles, but a lot of injuries) if you play it the way Casteel did. If you get a guy who is aggressive with his blitzes and play-calling, you can show kids that 4 or 5 or 6 guys will all be crashing the pocket and that they'll rack up plenty of TFLs and sacks. No one wants to be a tackling dummy or to be on your heels on an island as some 200lb running back with a head of steam comes barreling at you. They want to attack and get on Sportscenter like Scooby was able to do. That's the pitch recruits want to hear, even if you're running some half-baked dime package all the time.

Except for DL who are expected to tie up blockers and make holes for the LBs and DBs to get the sacks and TFL. That doesn't you on SportsCenter.

Tough sell for DL recruits who want to go on.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

carolinacat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Casteel coach from the sideline? Always thought it was better to have your O and D coordinators up in the booth where they can see the whole field, plus the television game feeds and use that birds-eye view to make adjustments on the fly. Hopefully the next guy we get is in the booth and relaying stuff down to the position coaches.

I've said that for the last four years but was scoffed. Good perception though.
I don't think that matters. Mickey Andrews never coached FSU's defense from the press box and they seemed to be pretty damn good under him for two decades.
I think there are exceptions to every rule. And I don't think being on the sideline helped Casteel. If it did, I'd hate to see what our defense would have looked like with him in the booth.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UALoco wrote:Ok smart guys...who, realistically, do you want to fill the open defensive coaching spots and why?
Looks like Clancy Pendergrast may be available once the Niners clean house, but it looks like USC is targeting him, and they will be tough to beat out.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Side topic...I miss college...Kendal Franklins twitter profile pic

Why is it hard to recruit to the U of A......
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Like the move. Could read between the lines that RR will be here few more years. Felt building pressure reflective on him and thus his own liability with the program. Enough to make the moves.

Fresh defensive start in some capacity. Fresh with new recruits too.

Maybe if wasn't just injuries after all as some on here have thrown out. Maybe this had some to do about lackluster recruiting, player development and lack of depth some have suggested wasn't an issue.

One bold moves requires another... time to see what replaces the changes
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:
UALoco wrote:Ok smart guys...who, realistically, do you want to fill the open defensive coaching spots and why?
Looks like Clancy Pendergrast may be available once the Niners clean house, but it looks like USC is targeting him, and they will be tough to beat out.
I heard yesterday it was a done deal for USC from my buddy who is well connected there
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The thing with the injuries is it muddles the waters. You don't really know what you have either way. 1991 was a case in point.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

We get someone who can get us into the top 50 defenses in the country, and this team could be dangerous. Is it too soon to hope?

Go Cats!!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Man even current players didn't like the 335
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Most didn't....especially the DL.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

chiefzona wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Do you think this helps us reland Watson and Allen?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I don't think we want Watson that bad, he was asked to Grey Shirt IMO as a way to open up a spot for someone the staff wants more.

As for the DC, I say we break the bank for Pendergast.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

3goggles wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Do you think this helps us reland Watson and Allen?
Allen, maybe. Watson, probably not.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I hope that RR learned his lesson at UM and giver the DC autonomy. He never did it there and it lead to problems. He was also hamstrung by the budget to hire a quality DC, that won't be an issue this time around.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:I hope that RR learned his lesson at UM and giver the DC autonomy. He never did it there and it lead to problems. He was also hamstrung by the budget to hire a quality DC, that won't be an issue this time around.

RR is showing that he has learned from past and present mistakes. Either that or the world ends tomorrow.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Also, what's Chuck Cecil doing now?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Also, what's Chuck Cecil doing now?
Isn't he still coaching at Tennessee?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Rams DB coach
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

We do not want anything to do with Clancy Pendergast. It seems many of you forget who's play calling cost the Cardinals the Super Bowl against the steelers.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

azgreg wrote:
I see on Wikipedia he's the secondary coach for the Rams. With everything up in the air there, I wonder if he'd be ready for a change.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

splitsecond wrote:We do not want anything to do with Clancy Pendergast. It seems many of you forget who's play calling cost the Cardinals the Super Bowl against the steelers.
But his play calling did not help a not very good on paper team get to the Superbowl? I don't watch the NFL very often, but I find it hard to believe that is the case.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

splitsecond wrote:We do not want anything to do with Clancy Pendergast. It seems many of you forget who's play calling cost the Cardinals the Super Bowl against the steelers.

It would be a parting of the Red Sea miracle to get Clancy to come to Arizona.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wouldn't mind Ricky Hunley as a position coach. Obviously not a DC candidate, but would be a great legacy hire if he can handle recruiting.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:Wouldn't mind Ricky Hunley as a position coach. Obviously not a DC candidate, but would be a great legacy hire if he can handle recruiting.
He's not going to be retained at Memphis with the new staff. He might make a pretty decent LB coach...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azpenguin wrote:
Merkin wrote:Wouldn't mind Ricky Hunley as a position coach. Obviously not a DC candidate, but would be a great legacy hire if he can handle recruiting.
He's not going to be retained at Memphis with the new staff. He might make a pretty decent LB coach...

He's got some bad blood with Arizona. Not saying it's impossible, just highly improbable. I would be less shocked if Lance Briggs was hired as the LB coach.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

chiefzona wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

He's got some bad blood with Arizona. Not saying it's impossible, just highly improbable. I would be less shocked if Lance Briggs was hired as the LB coach.
Isn't he coaching at poly? Or is Antonio pierce?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Between 2010 - 2013, Pendergast was the DC for the team that recorded the best total defense in the Pac 10/12 for 3 of those 4 years over two different schools and you want me to worry that he made some calls that cost the team with the worst record to ever make the Super Bowl the game?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I see on Wikipedia he's the secondary coach for the Rams. With everything up in the air there, I wonder if he'd be ready for a change.
I see that now. Thanks.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

3goggles wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

Pierce is.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

chiefzona wrote:
3goggles wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

Pierce is.
I would imaging he has strong recruiting ties no? Is that a possible person for the LB coach?
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

Briggs as our LB coach and out on recruiting trips gives me wood!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

3goggles wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
3goggles wrote:
chiefzona wrote:[quote

Pierce is.
I would imaging he has strong recruiting ties no? Is that a possible person for the LB coach?[/quote]

Pierce has issues as well. He would pull in some good recruits but I don't see that as possible at all. The positional hires are all going to depend on the DC. RR is going to have to completely trust him so that he can do his job. The key to a successful DC is making sure he has all HIS hires around him and not the hires and wants of the HC. The DC wants to be comfortable that his scheme is being promoted thoroughly.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Ricky Hunley available? I know he didn't get an invite as Virginia Tech is keeping their defensive coaches from the Beamer regime.
Coaching defense at Arizona has got to be more desirable than staying at Memphis.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I'm not sure why there is more talk about position coaches than DC coaches.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

OSUCat wrote:I'm not sure why there is more talk about position coaches than DC coaches.
We need recruiters.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Time to change the thread title to DC Hot Board?
Sid

Post by Sid »

Chicat wrote:
OSUCat wrote:I'm not sure why there is more talk about position coaches than DC coaches.
We need recruiters.

This.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chicat wrote:
We need recruiters.
Won't matter till a DC is hired.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:We need recruiters.
For sure. In some ways I don't even care what scheme we run as long as we're getting some players.

And when one thinks about it, it's pretty amazing how few good defensive players one needs in each class. I would put it at about 3.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

These tweets from yesterday make a lot more sense to me now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I saw that first tweet and just assumed he was talking about the fact that I had to go back to work today after essentially getting two weeks off.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Black Monday refers to the NFL.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat wrote:
catinfl wrote:Addae is a proven recruiter. Did well at Cincinnati
"Addae has also been recognized by Rivals.com as one of the top-10 recruiters in the BIG EAST Conference in 2010-11."http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-foot ... ile00.html

Forgive me for not getting too excited about Lockwoods demise. While he certainly deserved it RRod chose to replace him not with someone with Western recruiting ties (which we badly need) but with someone who is acknowledged for being a top recruiter in the Big East. It appears that RRod is intent on keeping a staff that is constructed for running a program on the East Coast, not the PAC12.

The day that RRod sacks Casteel & Kirlawich (sp?) and replaces them with West Coast based assistants will be the day that RRod demonstrates that he is trying to build a long term program at AZ. Until then, he's just treading water until he can high-tail it back east on his own terms.

OK, NOW I am excited. No inside knowledge but I am 99.9% certain Greg Byrne was behind this, not RRod.

I would love the see the UA make a run at getting Joe Salavea back to the UA as the DL coach. Ex-UA defensive tackle, NFL experience, excellent recruiter and he bleeds Cardinal Red and Blue.

Regarding our choice of defense maybe RRod should consider the defense TCU runs - the 4-2-5. It is constructed to stop the modern spread offenses but still gives you 4 big horses up front.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -patterson" target="_blank
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Ain't getting Salavea as DL coach. He just re-upped at Wazzu for a few years.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:Ain't getting Salavea as DL coach. He just re-upped at Wazzu for a few years.
Yep, the only way he'd come here is as DC.