Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Fire Casteel

Post by gumby »

azpenguin wrote:Ain't getting Salavea as DL coach. He just re-upped at Wazzu for a few years.
Correct. These guys bleed green more than their school colors. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Can't believe Casteel was fired. Where's the loyalty these days ...
Right where I want to be.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ding dong the witch is dead!!! It's a miracle. We may not improve right away but no defense we will ever have again will ever be as bad as it has been the last few years
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Ding dong the witch is dead!!! It's a miracle. We may not improve right away but no defense we will ever have again will ever be as bad as it has been the last few years
Never say never.
gumby

Post by gumby »

never
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azpenguin wrote:Ain't getting Salavea as DL coach. He just re-upped at Wazzu for a few years.

There is no contract that can't be broken.......especially if more $$$ are involved :D
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Ding dong the witch is dead!!! It's a miracle. We may not improve right away but no defense we will ever have again will ever be as bad as it has been the last few years
Never say never.
Unless we're dead last. Anything will be better. I just want our defense to be the 70th best in the country instead of the 120th
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well, that cinches having our defense get worse from here on out.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Coach "O" and Rich Rod is a interesting thought. Just thinking about those 2 at alumni events would be pure entertainment. Ed & Rich in living rooms of prized recruits together at the same time.....

priceless.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I don't think they've got enough money to pry Coach O out of LSU.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sid wrote:Coach "O" and Rich Rod is a interesting thought. Just thinking about those 2 at alumni events would be pure entertainment. Ed & Rich in living rooms of prized recruits together at the same time.....

priceless.
Orgeron would solve the vast majority of our recruiting issues, that's for sure. I would be all in for that, but LSU pays a ton, as penguin says.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How about a secret "head coach in waiting" tag for Coach O for when RR finally takes that mid-level SEC or ACC job he so desperately covets?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

O is making $450 a year. Casteel made $700.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/11471 ... ntracts-of
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

dmjcat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
catinfl wrote:Addae is a proven recruiter. Did well at Cincinnati
"Addae has also been recognized by Rivals.com as one of the top-10 recruiters in the BIG EAST Conference in 2010-11."http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-foot ... ile00.html

Forgive me for not getting too excited about Lockwoods demise. While he certainly deserved it RRod chose to replace him not with someone with Western recruiting ties (which we badly need) but with someone who is acknowledged for being a top recruiter in the Big East. It appears that RRod is intent on keeping a staff that is constructed for running a program on the East Coast, not the PAC12.

The day that RRod sacks Casteel & Kirlawich (sp?) and replaces them with West Coast based assistants will be the day that RRod demonstrates that he is trying to build a long term program at AZ. Until then, he's just treading water until he can high-tail it back east on his own terms.

OK, NOW I am excited. No inside knowledge but I am 99.9% certain Greg Byrne was behind this, not RRod.

I would love the see the UA make a run at getting Joe Salavea back to the UA as the DL coach. Ex-UA defensive tackle, NFL experience, excellent recruiter and he bleeds Cardinal Red and Blue.

Regarding our choice of defense maybe RRod should consider the defense TCU runs - the 4-2-5. It is constructed to stop the modern spread offenses but still gives you 4 big horses up front.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -patterson" target="_blank
I share your excitement but I think there is no way GB got involved with this change other then to remind RR who his wagon was hitched to and with VaTech along with SC making changes that won't come around again for at last 3 or 4 years that maybe he is here for awhile

Maybe this is why RR was hunting as if he wanted to keep the band together he had to make a change or he faced himself losing his position. He could not handle another year if sub 100 ranked defenses. Just my .02

In any event it is exciting to get a fresh start and I hope the guy they bring in is a recruiting witch and is aggressive in every phase of his play calling. Can you imagine a top 50 defense to go along with RR's offense?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UALoco wrote:O is making $450 a year. Casteel made $700.

Word is that LSU is going to sweeten his contract since his name started coming up in coaching searches.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Orgeron makes $465,000.

Casteel makes, errr, made: $670,500.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... /assistant" target="_blank
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Besides, think of the humanitarian side. Hire coach O and chief would die of a happily exploding heart. You don't want to kill chief, do you? DO YOU?!?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Whomever it is this will be a great move as you have no where to go but up. You will look like a genius and undoutebly get a lot of attention should you make a rapid ascension upwards.
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpenguin wrote:
UALoco wrote:O is making $450 a year. Casteel made $700.

Word is that LSU is going to sweeten his contract since his name started coming up in coaching searches.
Yeah, plus he is from LA and really popular there. I'd be surprised if they let 200k stand in the way.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:Whomever it is this will be a great move as you have no where to go but up. You will look like a genius and undoutebly get a lot of attention should you make a rapid ascension upwards.
Someone listening to 910 in Phoenix texted me and mentioned they were saying Cecil had been contacted. If that was indeed what they said and it's true... if there were a home run hire in the eyes of the Arizona fanbase, that would be it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azpenguin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Whomever it is this will be a great move as you have no where to go but up. You will look like a genius and undoutebly get a lot of attention should you make a rapid ascension upwards.
Someone listening to 910 in Phoenix texted me and mentioned they were saying Cecil had been contacted. If that was indeed what they said and it's true... if there were a home run hire in the eyes of the Arizona fanbase, that would be it.
Great move from the perspective of UA homers wanting a native son to come home . . . but can he/does he recruit, and what exactly is his defensive philosophy? As a Rams fan, I didn't think their defensive backfield was really anything to write home about this year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sid

Post by Sid »

I would take coach "O" over Chuck any day of the week. SC royally screwed the pooch by not giving the job to Ed. Players love that guy, run through walls type shit. The big Arizona boosters would love him too, sit him and Rod at the table of the deep wallets, *boom* you now have your brand new indoor practice facility Newport!

Would be extremely difficult to pull him out of LSU, but we can dream.......
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sid wrote:I would take coach "O" over Chuck any day of the week. SC royally screwed the pooch by not giving the job to Ed. Players love that guy, run through walls type shit. The big Arizona boosters would love him too, sit him and Rod at the table of the deep wallets, *boom* you now have your brand new indoor practice facility Newport!

I would love Orgeron. Players love him, he can recruit like crazy and is just a likeable guy. He's recruited to SC before, so he has ties that could pay off.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chuck Cecil is just like Ricky Hunley. Two great well loved Arizona players who are position coaches for a reason.

Cecil only had 1 year as a NFL DC, and was fired. Hunley's only DC position was in something called the UFL.

Both lifelong position coaches, and would take either one of them as a position coach.

Just wouldn't be thrilled with either as the DC.

This is going to be some tough competition, UA can't compete $$$.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Sid wrote:I would take coach "O" over Chuck any day of the week. SC royally screwed the pooch by not giving the job to Ed. Players love that guy, run through walls type shit. The big Arizona boosters would love him too, sit him and Rod at the table of the deep wallets, *boom* you now have your brand new indoor practice facility Newport!

If we got coach O would do backflips and know it would lead to the indoor facility. Rich Rod and Coach O would be incredible together and I still think Coach O is one of the best recruiters out there. All my USC buddies are still pissed he didn't get the head job.

He would be a home run hire or all home run hires especially if we surrounded him with some capable assistants.

To me, he is the type you go to with a blank check book and just pay him whatever it takes.
God only knows he would love to recruit against USC too.

You mix coach O with an indoor practice facility and Rich rods offense...now we have something
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i would be fine with either Bill Cowher or Mike Ditka
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

97cats wrote:i would be fine with either Bill Cowher or Mike Ditka
What?! Are you fucking nuts? This is why no other fanbases take us seriously. Take your head out of your ass and look at a more realistic option.

I'm thinking Vince Lombardi for DLine coach and Bear Bryant for DC.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
What?! Are you fucking nuts? This is why no other fanbases take us seriously. Take your head out of your ass and look at a more realistic option.

Tui....please step away from the ledge. He is mocking everyone. :lol:
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

chiefzona wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:

"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

chiefzona wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:

*Whoosh* Like a throw from Randall, I think that one went over your head.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

TuiTouchdown wrote: What?! Are you fucking nuts?
no way, are you familiar with what either has done as a coach?? both would be amazing d-coordinators and ive been told both LOVE the northern Tucson area school districts
TuiTouchdown wrote:This is why no other fanbases take us seriously.
well thats the other fanbases problem cause i aim high. my expectations for AZ football are the best of the best -- with the new facilities and offices on campus no hire is out of the question
TuiTouchdown wrote:Take your head out of your ass and look at a more realistic option.
im fine with Dick Lebeau, Bill Parcells, Vic Fangio, Fritz Shumur, Monte Kiffin, Tony Dungy, Bud Carson, Hank Stram, George Allen, Bud Grant, Buddy Ryan, Chuck Noll, or Tom Landry
TuiTouchdown wrote:I'm thinking Vince Lombardi for DLine coach and Bear Bryant for DC.
both great coaches no doubt, but not the BEST defensive coaches ever -- Arizona and Rich ROd can and should do much better than that.....and i think they will!!!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chief is great at pointing out the obvious and portraying it as something unknown to everyone but him and his vastly superior knowledge.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:

*Whoosh* Like a throw from Randall, I think that one went over your head.

No, it more like a throw from Anu....behind the receiver. :lol:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

gronk4heisman wrote:Chief is great at pointing out the obvious and portraying it as something unknown to everyone but him and his vastly superior knowledge.

If that were the case, I wouldn't have any haters. :lol: :shock: :lol:
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

97cats wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote: What?! Are you fucking nuts?
no way, are you familiar with what either has done as a coach?? both would be amazing d-coordinators and ive been told both LOVE the northern Tucson area school districts
TuiTouchdown wrote:This is why no other fanbases take us seriously.
well thats the other fanbases problem cause i aim high. my expectations for AZ football are the best of the best -- with the new facilities and offices on campus no hire is out of the question
TuiTouchdown wrote:Take your head out of your ass and look at a more realistic option.
im fine with Dick Lebeau, Bill Parcells, Vic Fangio, Fritz Shumur, Monte Kiffin, Tony Dungy, Bud Carson, Hank Stram, George Allen, Bud Grant, Buddy Ryan, Chuck Noll, or Tom Landry
TuiTouchdown wrote:I'm thinking Vince Lombardi for DLine coach and Bear Bryant for DC.
both great coaches no doubt, but not the BEST defensive coaches ever -- Arizona and Rich ROd can and should do much better than that.....and i think they will!!!

:D
97cats

Post by 97cats »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
:D
my man -- :D

and to answer one question seriously -- yes, yes i am fucking nuts!!!!

Go Cats!!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

We oughta fire D coordinators more often if it brings 97 outta the woodwork :)
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

What did I miss, Did I just heard that RR isnt keeping Casteel.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

azpenguin wrote:We oughta fire D coordinators more often if it brings 97 outta the woodwork :)
Yeah it feels like Christmas morning on this board. Never saw so many optimistic posts.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89 wrote:What did I miss, Did I just heard that RR isnt keeping Casteel.
Not at all. RR announced 'Taco Tuesdays' at the student union.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Only you can answer that.

Not to be picky, but we should limit the replacement to the living. The dead had their chance.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azgreg wrote:
At Sabor?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So all of yawl cant sit here and tell me of what going on. That after looking at some news that Casteel isnt returning or got fired or resign which is a shocker.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
At Sabor?
Fuck, I couldn't tell you. I haven't stepped foot in the student union since 1992. :lol:
Salty

Post by Salty »

cordera89 wrote:So all of yawl cant sit here and tell me of what going on. That after looking at some news that Casteel isnt returning or got fired or resign which is a shocker.
Read the thread.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Salty wrote:
cordera89 wrote:So all of yawl cant sit here and tell me of what going on. That after looking at some news that Casteel isnt returning or got fired or resign which is a shocker.
Read the thread.
I know the thread. I all ask is did he get fired or resign and most of yawl cant say nothing.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We yawl can't say nuthin, so why you askin?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:Casteel was fired!
That was easy to find.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote:
Salty wrote:
Read the thread.
I know the thread. I all ask is did he get fired or resign and most of yawl cant say nothing.
Are all the yaws a subtle nod to Orgeron?

Colonel Reb is Cryin: http://youtu.be/6n1KPQmdddY" target="_blank

Bonus Orgeron:

The Ed Orgeron Hummer Ad: http://youtu.be/HX7wzhMvbzo" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Fired and funny because I was very excited when we got him to come from West Virginia to Arizona and now very excited to see Casteel go.

I think it is a new day for our program and Rich Rod (Or Greg Byrne) is really making the hard choices to get our program to the next level. Whoever did this I commend them as it would have been very easy to blame our bad defense on injuries last year and also say, Hey we won our bowl, finished with 7 wins, thats great for Arizona. But good news is people in power are not satisfied with that and willing to make the hard changes like I personally never thought they would be able to do.

This was a major college program move
Last edited by Newportcat on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

gumby wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Casteel was fired!
That was easy to find.
Gumby quoted one of my posts and was not bashing me

It really is a new day for Arizona Athletics!!!!!