Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheGreatCatsby

Re: Fired Casteel

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Feels like a major breath of fresh air for the program! Our O I never really worry about under Coach Rod; now we have the chance with a new coordinator and position coaches to implement a whole new scheme, get our defensive personnel fired up again to play football again, and improve our recruiting chances.

If all our new defense did was play tough solid football and was top 40ish, we'd be in such better shape than we are today with the added hope of possibly having another 10-11 win season sometime in the next few years. But really feel like we need to just sack the 3-3-5 for good Coach Rod; not only does is not work, kids don't want to play in it.
gumby

Re: Fire Casteel

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:
gumby wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Casteel was fired!
That was easy to find.
Gumby quoted one of my posts and was not bashing me

It really is a new day for Arizona Athletics!!!!!
:lol:

I love all yawl.
Right where I want to be.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Long live RR.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sid wrote:I would take coach "O" over Chuck any day of the week. SC royally screwed the pooch by not giving the job to Ed. Players love that guy, run through walls type shit. The big Arizona boosters would love him too, sit him and Rod at the table of the deep wallets, *boom* you now have your brand new indoor practice facility Newport!

Would be extremely difficult to pull him out of LSU, but we can dream.......
What I'm really hoping is we can get a current DC or position coach who will be able to flip some recruits to us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:Fired and funny because I was very excited when we got him to come from West Virginia to Arizona and now very excited to see Casteel go.

I think it is a new day for our program and Rich Rod (Or Greg Byrne) is really making the hard choices to get our program to the next level. Whoever did this I commend them as it would have been very easy to blame our bad defense on injuries last year and also say, Hey we won our bowl, finished with 7 wins, thats great for Arizona. But good news is people in power are not satisfied with that and willing to make the hard changes like I personally never thought they would be able to do.

This was a major college program move
You mean like a lot of our fans did?

Thankfully RR or Byrne (or both) did not ignore the results in deference to all the excuses. Fans shouldn't either.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
Sid wrote:I would take coach "O" over Chuck any day of the week. SC royally screwed the pooch by not giving the job to Ed. Players love that guy, run through walls type shit. The big Arizona boosters would love him too, sit him and Rod at the table of the deep wallets, *boom* you now have your brand new indoor practice facility Newport!

Would be extremely difficult to pull him out of LSU, but we can dream.......
What I'm really hoping is we can get a current DC or position coach who will be able to flip some recruits to us.
That would certainly be a bonus.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:
I would guess this is Justin Wilcox's job for the taking.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

BearDown89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I would guess this is Justin Wilcox's job for the taking.

I mentioned that on Twitter earlier. Haha
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Fired and funny because I was very excited when we got him to come from West Virginia to Arizona and now very excited to see Casteel go.

I think it is a new day for our program and Rich Rod (Or Greg Byrne) is really making the hard choices to get our program to the next level. Whoever did this I commend them as it would have been very easy to blame our bad defense on injuries last year and also say, Hey we won our bowl, finished with 7 wins, thats great for Arizona. But good news is people in power are not satisfied with that and willing to make the hard changes like I personally never thought they would be able to do.

This was a major college program move
You mean like a lot of our fans did?

Thankfully RR or Byrne (or both) did not ignore the results in deference to all the excuses. Fans shouldn't either.

Brilliant post. So damn true. I don't think Byrne had anything to do with this at all though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

HOLY SHIT!

have I been under a rock all day?

This is crazy...

RR must really want to get the hell out of town with a winning season to some school back east, enough to jettison Castell.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:
HOLY SHIT!

have I been under a rock all day?

This is crazy...

RR must really want to get the hell out of town with a winning season to some school back east, enough to jettison Castell.
Or hes all in at Arizona and making changes to make us as good as possible
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting thought Hater, would sure make us fans believe that after flirting with every team out there it seems. I am sure GB heard from the fans concerning whether RR really wanted to be here
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It's the only thing that makes sense

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:Interesting thought Hater, would sure make us fans believe that after flirting with every team out there it seems. I am sure GB heard from the fans concerning whether RR really wanted to be here

However it plays out, I'm fired up for next Fall.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Some names being mentioned: Hunley, Cecil. Interesting from a favorite son point of view, but does RR have someone else in mind?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Interesting thought Hater, would sure make us fans believe that after flirting with every team out there it seems. I am sure GB heard from the fans concerning whether RR really wanted to be here
Interesting? Maybe. Naive or wishful thinking? Almost definitely.

I cannot f*cking believe some people think that 2 weeks after ntUSC refused to offer him enough money to make him move that he suddenly is devoted to making UA's long-term success his only priority.

Just to be clear... this is not a criticism (I won't shy away from that when I think it is deserved). This was a move to buy RR some time and improve his own prospects... whether or not I applaud it uncomditionally will be dictated by who he hires and the terms under which RR hires him.

I want results, and I don't want any excuses; I am evaluating our HC under the same terms by which he evaluates his staff... We are both acting in our own self interests. Nothing wrong with that. I am not trying to spin my motives - let's not try to spin Rich Rod's.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh I agree Harvey. I am sure either RR was reminded or he realized who his wagon was hitched to. With decreasing options in the coming years it may have been a move for self preservation
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichardCranium wrote:Some names being mentioned: Hunley, Cecil. Interesting from a favorite son point of view, but does RR have someone else in mind?

Hunley and Cecil are lifelong position coaches on the downhill side of their coaching careers without any DC success at any level.

I imagine as with replacing the DB coach with the film guy, RR wants young blood on the uphill side of their career. Someone with the energy to recruit.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Harvey Specter wrote:

I cannot f*cking believe some people think that 2 weeks after ntUSC refused to offer him enough money to make him move that he suddenly is devoted to making UA's long-term success his only priority.

Just to be clear... this is not a criticism (I won't shy away from that when I think it is deserved). This was a move to buy RR some time and improve his own prospects... whether or not I applaud it uncomditionally will be dictated by who he hires and the terms under which RR hires him.

I want results, and I don't want any excuses; I am evaluating our HC under the same terms by which he evaluates his staff... We are both acting in our own self interests. Nothing wrong with that. I am not trying to spin my motives - let's not try to spin Rich Rod's.
I cannot f*cking believe some people are as butthurt by this still. RR turning down the job and firing casteel is all you need to show his devotion to this job.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium wrote:Some names being mentioned: Hunley, Cecil. Interesting from a favorite son point of view, but does RR have someone else in mind?
There are no leaks coming out of the football offices.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I cannot f*cking believe some people are as butthurt by this still. RR turning down the job and firing casteel is all you need to show his devotion to this job.
You really lack street smarts... but that is not breaking news.

I am not butt-hurt. I want to win - just like RR does. Although I am pretty certain it is for different reasons.

I love UA; my ties to UA are emotional. RR has a job and a career to manage; he wants to a) keep his job and b) have a chance to improve his prospects. I harbor no resentment for that... I resent naive, lovesick morons who see these moves as some indication that suddenly RR 'bleeds red and blue' and is now all about 'long-term commitment to the program's success'. Please.

He wants to win. I want to win. That is good enough for me, and am less concerned about the motivation behind the objective.

That happens, and we are both happy. It doesn't and I am not. And I am not giving him any more leeway for injuries and bad luck than he gave to his pal he just fired.

Why is that so hard to understand? Hire a good DC and give him free reign - he probably just bough an extra year or 2 from me (beyond next season). Mandate that the 3-3-5 stay and micro-manage the new DC? It is win next season or else...

That's business. And I am not sorry if it hurts your feelings.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So stop bitching about it. We all know you were butt hurt by the interview. It's long over and in the past. Time to grow and move on. You want us to win. So does RR a he is committed to it here. Just stop with the moaning and tantrums already. It's really sad.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:So stop bitching about it. We all know you were butt hurt by the interview. It's long over and in the past. Time to grow and move on. You want us to win. So does RR a he is committed to it here. Just stop with the moaning and tantrums already. It's really sad.

Spoken by a true homer that buys the profiteer's bs. Bravo.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

One hope is that RichRod just lets his new dc have total reins to develop a hard nose, kick ass defensive culture that hits hard, has its players totally bought in, and plays NASTY. With RichRod having already gotten his lateral transfer flirtation out of the way and seeing the grass isn't really greener anywhere else, he goes all in Arizona for the next 10 years, with multiple Rose Bowl appearances while Sean Miller adds a basketball naty.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Harvey don't you know by now that you're not allowed to have an opinion around here unless it aligns with Hater's mandates. Shame on you for all your butt hurt bitching and moaning.

I like him as our coach, but I don't trust RR for shit after that last go round. Firing Casteel is a step towards saving some face. We'll see how the new business plan works out.

I'd tell Hater to go fuck himself, but the mods will just delete it. So I won't.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASU hater fails occums razor.

Which is more likely?
A) RR has a change of heart and really truly with sugar on top wants to retire in Tucson.
Or
B) RR realizes his stock is down and needs a hell of a good year or two if he's going to make the jump to a program fit for he presumed ego.

Like I said, I don't care as long as we win, I'm excited for next season. And before hater goes all bad fan Kyle Collins on me I'd like to suggest he watch the godfather; wrt RR, it not personal it's only business.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I think ntUSC was RR's hope to jump ship with his staff intact. When that didn't pan out, then the defensive coaches were doomed. No way the admin or the boosters let RR keep the staff in place after a year like this last one.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I can't believe Casteel was getting 57K a month for such piss poor performances and he and Kirlav who wouldn't get off his ass and recruit regularly were shocked at being let go.

Sorry men if I don't shed a tear for your sorry asses. Time to coach up some high school kids close to home
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I suspect these moves are for many reasons. Many. At the top is RR's own survival. The defense has been horrid since he arrived. I hope he can evaluate that, recognize that and adjust. It has been obvious. Give RR credit for making moves.

But this as much for his own standing with the program. His own standing in the industry he works in. RR's credibility was taking on water on that side of the ball. Depth, recruiting, perception, statistically and ability to win future. Another year of that and RR loses most of his leverage and his safe hot seat capital.

It's not that easy to get an HC gig when you have so many conference losing records. Especially one with similar pay (note ntSC). Especially when your defensive performance for years speaks so negatively with most fan bases.

Hard for even a RR, with his national recognition. RR was in new spot this past season in that he was mostly the elder HC in the marketplace. He has long resume. Lately, it's offense great, defense bad. Many schools looking for fresh younger HC's. Or experienced HC's that have RECENT long track record proving you can win big and that it won't splinter a fan base. A no-brainer experienced HC hire. RR's baggage carries mostly mixed emotions and controversy with fan bases now since Michigan. Big East days are long gone.

2018. Two more seasons RR has to make his bones here.

RR needs to solidify his HC merits. Offense good to great. Defense poor to horrific. Simple. Credibility. Leverage. Rebuild his options and opportunities.

RR will get his first retention fund check in March.

Next installment 2018. RR needs to position himself before then. Not always bad when an HC motivated for his standing or position in the industry
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:So stop bitching about it. We all know you were butt hurt by the interview. It's long over and in the past. Time to grow and move on. You want us to win. So does RR a he is committed to it here. Just stop with the moaning and tantrums already. It's really sad.
Harvey wasn't bitching. He was stating his opinion on our football program on a message board meant to allow fans to state their opinions. I for one 100% agree with him as I think many fans do.

Hater you are a complete and utter douchebag
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

cordera89 wrote:
Salty wrote:
cordera89 wrote:So all of yawl cant sit here and tell me of what going on. That after looking at some news that Casteel isnt returning or got fired or resign which is a shocker.
Read the thread.
I know the thread. I all ask is did he get fired or resign and most of yawl cant say nothing.
It aynt easy to misspell a contraction.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

azcat49 wrote:Oh I agree Harvey. I am sure either RR was reminded or he realized who his wagon was hitched to. With decreasing options in the coming years it may have been a move for self preservation
Yea. I imagine SC told him directly that the 3-3-5 was a no-go in the SEC. Probably got his attention then..
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

It must be nice being hater's girlfriend/wife (assuming he has one). She sleeps around, but comes back home and it is a sign that she is even more committed to him than before.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:It must be nice being hater's girlfriend/wife (assuming he has one). She sleeps around, but comes back home and it is a sign that she is even more committed to him than before.
In this analogy, if we are paying RichRod, is it prostitution? If it is prostitution, can you really get angry that you're not her only one?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:It must be nice being hater's girlfriend/wife (assuming he has one). She sleeps around, but comes back home and it is a sign that she is even more committed to him than before.
In this analogy, if we are paying RichRod, is it prostitution? If it is prostitution, can you really get angry that you're not her only one?
I am guessing you are not married if you think having a wife doesn't cost you anything.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It depends on the order for the day. :mrgreen:
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

threenumberones wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Oh I agree Harvey. I am sure either RR was reminded or he realized who his wagon was hitched to. With decreasing options in the coming years it may have been a move for self preservation
Yea. I imagine SC told him directly that the 3-3-5 was a no-go in the SEC. Probably got his attention then..
Out of curiosity, do you know where the 3-3-5 got its start in the P5?
Sid

Post by Sid »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I am guessing you are not married if you think having a wife doesn't cost you anything.
100% this!

A great rack gets what it wants, Nordy's, private school for the kids, nice ride, big house...depressed just thinking about it, but love those cans!

:D
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Marrying the prostitute doesn't help things. It just makes it worse.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

College football coaching and relationships are not remotely similar. God you have some deeeeep issues if a person interviewing for a job like any normal person does has so immensely scarred you and affected your mental stability

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
You guys have it backwards... RR is the one getting paid here.

He is more like the stripper that is really good at his job, and Hater is the 30-ish married guy who got hitched right out of college, and has never been to a gentlemen's club before. After emptying his wallet and a quick trip to the cash machine, he is momentarily disappointed to find his 'girl' dancing for another patron when he returns.

But when she come back over and hits him with the obligatory "I could not wait for you to come back... Thanks for saving me from that guy. I really did not like him, but we have to dance for anyone who wants one if we are not already busy".

He leaves the club at the end of the night with a smile and the satisfaction of believing "she really digs me!"

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

He is more like the stripper that is really good at his job, and Hater is the 30-ish married guy who got hitched right out of college, and has never been to a gentlemen's club before. After emptying his wallet and a quick trip to the cash machine, he is momentarily disappointed to find his 'girl' dancing for another patron when he returns.

But when she come back over and hits him with the obligatory "I could not wait for you to come back... Thanks for saving me from that guy. I really did not like him, but we have to dance for anyone who wants one if we are not already busy".

He leaves the club at the end of the night with a smile and the satisfaction of believing "she really digs me!"

See, actually, I see it as the opposite. I see the fans upset by RR interviewing elsewhere as the ones who think that she actually isn't in it for the money. This isn't his alma mater, it's a job. Same as all our jobs, you might want to leave if a better opportunity comes along.

He's always been committed to the extent this is his best option, and I think it's naieve to expect otherwise. Interviewing elsewhere didn't change that.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

OMG, I am rolling with laughter. That is an epic analogy Harvey. Kudo's to you.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Three aspects in any job search:

1. Good job
2. Desirable location
3. Great compensation (pay, vacay, beny's)

Rare to find all three, especially out of the gate, generally have to settle for 2/3.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azcat49 wrote:I can't believe Casteel was getting 57K a month for such piss poor performances and he and Kirlav who wouldn't get off his ass and recruit regularly were shocked at being let go.

Sorry men if I don't shed a tear for your sorry asses. Time to coach up some high school kids close to home
:lol: They were actually "shocked"?

I can't believe that. There were actually coaches hired as Pac-12 assistants who actually believed they could be successful in this conference WITHOUT personally having to recruit for the program?

And people wonder why Byrne may have had to get involved in the Casteel decision.

I don't know whose original idea it was to have that "opt-out" recruiting clause, but if it was RR's, he still doesn't understand what it takes to win in this conference--and Byrne hopefully told him it needed to get gone with Casteel.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Every head coach of every sport meets with the athletic director after the end of the season.

The athletic director's primary role is to raise money for the athletic department.

We can all be rest assured that Byrne talked to RichRod about ways to make the football program more profitable, but getting more fan interest, by getting better TV spots, by getting better bowl games, all by fielding a better team. Fielding a better team by recruiting better, and having a better defense.

No doubt Byrne was irked even more than we were when the networks picked other better PAC teams for the best TV spots, and let Arizona play at 8 pm.

GB may not have directly told RR to fire Casteel, but RichRod is smart enough to read between the lines.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

gronk4heisman wrote:
splitsecond wrote:We do not want anything to do with Clancy Pendergast. It seems many of you forget who's play calling cost the Cardinals the Super Bowl against the steelers.
Between 2010 - 2013, Pendergast was the DC for the team that recorded the best total defense in the Pac 10/12 for 3 of those 4 years over two different schools and you want me to worry that he made some calls that cost the team with the worst record to ever make the Super Bowl the game?
I have watched enough of his bend but don't break BS first hand to know that the stats aren't everything. I also don't believe he possesses the recruiting ability we need in a DC. He built his defense at Cal with Tosh Lupoi's recruits.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

splitsecond wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
splitsecond wrote:We do not want anything to do with Clancy Pendergast. It seems many of you forget who's play calling cost the Cardinals the Super Bowl against the steelers.
Between 2010 - 2013, Pendergast was the DC for the team that recorded the best total defense in the Pac 10/12 for 3 of those 4 years over two different schools and you want me to worry that he made some calls that cost the team with the worst record to ever make the Super Bowl the game?
I have watched enough of his bend but don't break BS first hand to know that the stats aren't everything. I also don't believe he possesses the recruiting ability we need in a DC. He built his defense at Cal with Tosh Lupoi's recruits.
And then this:
gumby

Post by gumby »

Enough to avoid it, or is running 3-3-5 a condition of employment?
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not really a stellar resume but at least he has real Div I DC experience unlike Cecil and Hunley. Not a home run hire, but not a bad choice. But still, probably on the downhill side of his coaching career.

Coaching career[edit]
Western Oregon State College[edit]
Lewis was as assistant coach for the Western Oregon Wolves from 1989 to 1990.[5]

Oregon State University[edit]
Lewis served as an assistant coach for the Oregon State Beavers working with linebackers and special teams from 1991 to 1996.[5]

University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign[edit]
Lewis was defensive line coach for the Illinois Fighting Illini from 1997 to 2000 before serving as linebackers coach from 2001 to 2002.[5]

University of New Mexico[edit]
Lewis was defensive coordinator of the New Mexico Lobos from 2003 to 2007 while also serving stints as defensive line and linebacker coach.[5]

University of Texas at El Paso[edit]
Lewis served as defensive coordinator of the UTEP Miners from 2008 to 2009.[5]

Hartford Colonials[edit]
Lewis was defensive coordinator of the Hartford Colonials of the United Football League in 2010.[5]

San Diego State University[edit]
Lewis has served as defensive line coach of the San Diego State Aztecs since 2011.[5][6]
Last edited by Merkin on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.