Who would be Arizona Next DC.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Who would be Arizona Next DC.

Post by cordera89 »

I don't know who RR is going to hired as his New Defense. Their not a lot of DC name out their that would take this DC job at Arizona.

But who would be the next DC at Arizona.

place your names of who you think RR will hired.
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Who would be Arizona Next DC.

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I know who I'd like. Who would accept is a different thing. The D is not exactly a plum position right now.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Get Ogeron and tell him he'll likely be the head coach when RR leaves after next season.

Chuck Cecil should be seriously explored.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Orgeron wont leave his current position at LSU. I don't think RR will leave this time unless WVU become a burden of desperation of winning.

He going to have to find a DC that is willing to come to Arizona and coach defense against Up tempo offenses every year.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I think you're selling us short. I think there are a lot of potential replacements out there that would take the job. Its a PAC12 school which is always high profile and we pay our DC quite well from what I understand. I don't think competitive coaches mind challenges, I even think they relish them and rebuilding this defense is a very doable challenge. What competitive coaches want is recognition and he would get that being in the PAC12 and he'd be well paid.
My question is whether or not RR is still married to the 3-3-5. If he is, I wouldn't mind seeing us at least go after that guy from San Diego State. If RR is willing to change the defensive scheme that really opens it up.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I know who I'd like. Who would accept is a different thing. The D is not exactly a plum position right now.
But who do you like that is willing to become our DC and coach under RR direction.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

carcassdragger wrote: Chuck Cecil should be seriously explored.
That's what i was thinking if you went with a guy with AZ ties.

How about an SEC guy?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:I don't know who RR is going to hired as his New Defense. Their not a lot of DC name out their that would take this DC job at Arizona.

Would you stop with this defeatist nonsense? I think it is complely ridiculous.

If they go about this properly, it should be a very attractive job with plenty of interested, quality candidates. We should have plenty to spend, and anyone who can come in and move the needle in a positive way could watch their stock skyrocket. Put just a decent defense on the field, and this program would become formidable, with the DC getting a lot of credit for that. Next stop would be an elite DC job alongside RR (should he leave.. He would have opportunities) or a HC gig.

Now IF RR mandates the new DC runs the 3-3-5 AND wants to pick all the assistants... then that is a different story. He's no dummy; I am banking on him having learned from past mistakes.

I'd be all for Orgeron, but in no way interested in promises of "Head coach in Waiting" status. Those NEVER work out... He has a track record as a HC and it sucks. No thank you.

As for Cecil... That is intriguing. High risk / high reward (how would he feel about recruiting?), but infinitely more appealing than Hunley - although I would love to see Ricky as a position coach.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm thinking one of the G% west coast DC like Kevin Clune of Utah St, Marcel Yates of Boise St, Greg Robinson of San Jose St, etc. etc.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I know who I'd like. Who would accept is a different thing. The D is not exactly a plum position right now.
But who do you like that is willing to become our DC and coach under RR direction.
Me? I'd sell out for Orgeron. He is the best option that we can offer a step up (promotion and possibly pay increase). If it takes a head coach in waiting if RR leaves, fine.

I don't think that will happen. Where that leaves us, I don't know. I'm afraid we wind up just falling into the retread zone.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I think you're selling us short. I think there are a lot of potential replacements out there that would take the job. Its a PAC12 school which is always high profile and we pay our DC quite well from what I understand. I don't think competitive coaches mind challenges, I even think they relish them and rebuilding this defense is a very doable challenge. What competitive coaches want is recognition and he would get that being in the PAC12 and he'd be well paid.
My question is whether or not RR is still married to the 3-3-5. If he is, I wouldn't mind seeing us at least go after that guy from San Diego State. If RR is willing to change the defensive scheme that really opens it up.
Well that good question on what competitive coach would get in the PAC 12 and facing up tempo offense every year. The question is would that DC have Full control of defense personal if RR allow it. If RR was still married to that 335 he wouldn't have no problem of finding another coach to run it which is only two Gibson of WVU and Rocky Long of San Diego State( He the primary DC). I can only of few DC that would take the job.

Ron English
Randy Shannon
Gene Chizik
Butch David
Greg Mattison

It long shot that all of them wouldn't take it unless they want to get back into coaching.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

There aren't any DCs out there who are qualified to run a 3-3-5 for the exception of Tony Gibson. Gulp.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:There aren't any DCs out there who are qualified to run a 3-3-5 for the exception of Tony Gibson. Gulp.
Well, he surprised us all by dropping Casteel maybe he'll surprise us again by dropping the 3-3-5.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:I don't know who RR is going to hired as his New Defense. Their not a lot of DC name out their that would take this DC job at Arizona.

Would you stop with this defeatist nonsense? I think it is complely ridiculous.

If they go about this properly, it should be a very attractive job with plenty of interested, quality candidates. We should have plenty to spend, and anyone who can come in and move the needle in a positive way could watch their stock skyrocket. Put just a decent defense on the field, and this program would become formidable, with the DC getting a lot of credit for that. Next stop would be an elite DC job alongside RR (should he leave.. He would have opportunities) or a HC gig.

Now IF RR mandates the new DC runs the 3-3-5 AND wants to pick all the assistants... then that is a different story. He's no dummy; I am banking on him having learned from past mistakes.

I'd be all for Orgeron, but in no way interested in promises of "Head coach in Waiting" status. Those NEVER work out... He has a track record as a HC and it sucks. No thank you.

As for Cecil... That is intriguing. High risk / high reward (how would he feel about recruiting?), but infinitely more appealing than Hunley - although I would love to see Ricky as a position coach.
It not nonsense if I really want to think that RR wont hired capable DC. Their not a lot names out their to attract of who is willing to come to Arizona as RR DC. Orgeron isn't going to leave his current at LSU. I don't know about Chuck Cecil if he willing to do it.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:There aren't any DCs out there who are qualified to run a 3-3-5 for the exception of Tony Gibson. Gulp.
Gibson is one, Rocky Long is the other.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:I think you're selling us short. I think there are a lot of potential replacements out there that would take the job. Its a PAC12 school which is always high profile and we pay our DC quite well from what I understand. I don't think competitive coaches mind challenges, I even think they relish them and rebuilding this defense is a very doable challenge. What competitive coaches want is recognition and he would get that being in the PAC12 and he'd be well paid.
Well that good question on what competitive coach would get in the PAC 12 and facing up tempo offense every year. The question is would that DC have Full control of defense personal if RR allow it. If RR was still married to that 335 he wouldn't have no problem of finding another coach to run it which is only two Gibson of WVU and Rocky Long of San Diego State( He the primary DC). I can only of few DC that would take the job.

Ron English
Randy Shannon
Gene Chizik
Butch David
Greg Mattison

It long shot that all of them wouldn't take it unless they want to get back into coaching.
Yeah, that's what I meant about retreads.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Me? I'd sell out for Orgeron. He is the best option that we can offer a step up (promotion and possibly pay increase). If it takes a head coach in waiting if RR leaves, fine.

I don't think that will happen. Where that leaves us, I don't know. I'm afraid we wind up just falling into the retread zone.
Please, people. Stop.

I know it was Ole Miss, and I know it is the SEC, but with 3 years as a (permanent) head coach... he was 10-25 overall, and 3-21 in conference. That is not a typo, it is the worst 3-year stretch under any head coach at Ole Miss in modern history.

We may as well hire Houston Nutt...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azgreg wrote:
Well, he surprised us all by dropping Casteel maybe he'll surprise us again by dropping the 3-3-5.
If he doesn't drop the 3-3-5, and micro-manages the defense, then as far as I am concerned he did not buy himself any time with this move. Take that approach, the the performance of the defense next season will reflect directly on him (and his near-term job security).

He is a smart guy... I hope his mind wins out over his ego.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Please, people. Stop.

I know it was Ole Miss, and I know it is the SEC, but with 3 years as a (permanent) head coach... he was 10-25 overall, and 3-21 in conference. That is not a typo, it is the worst 3-year stretch under any head coach at Ole Miss in modern history.

Harvey I think everyone want Orgeron as Dline Coach not a HC if RR decide to bolt after making changes on the Defense staff. Houston Nutt I don't know about that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'd love to get Todd Grantham, but we'd need to offer way more in pay than we currently do. I think he's at $1M+ currently.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azgreg wrote:
If he doesn't drop the 3-3-5, and micro-manages the defense, then as far as I am concerned he did not buy himself any time with this move. Take that approach, the the performance of the defense next season will reflect directly on him (and his near-term job security).

He is a smart guy... I hope his mind wins out over his ego.
I think RR is clear that if 335 isn't working then their not point of bringing it back. If RR was a smart guy, He should not replicate what he did at Michigan when hired a new DC that doesn't know how to run the 335 scheme.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:

I said DCs not HCs. The 3-3-5 as a primary scheme is just about dead and never really took off. No one wants a glorified nickel.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

I said DCs not HCs. The 3-3-5 as a primary scheme is just about dead and never really took off. No one wants a glorified nickel.
That why I said them two are the only ones that run 335. Even thou Rocky Long is a HC but he also their Primary DC thou. So if RR was trying to replace Casteel in the 335, One of those two would qualify.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:I'd love to get Todd Grantham, but we'd need to offer way more in pay than we currently do. I think he's at $1M+ currently.
Love his Wiki page.
Todd Grantham
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with Todd Graham.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Grantham" target="_blank

What west coast connections does he have?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Please, people. Stop.

There's a reason why everyone had a completely different view of him after the interim job at USC. He has always been a tremendous recruiter, and he had an empty talent cupboard at Ole Miss that he filled enough for Nutt to win immediately.

It was pretty unanimous after the USC stint that he had matured in learning how to actually run a program.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

carcassdragger wrote:Get Ogeron and tell him he'll likely be the head coach when RR leaves after next season.

Chuck Cecil should be seriously explored.
Proof?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

That why I said them two are the only ones that run 335. Even thou Rocky Long is a HC but he also their Primary DC thou. So if RR was trying to replace Casteel in the 335, One of those two would qualify.

Long and his ego wouldn't fit in RR's office.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:I'd love to get Todd Grantham, but we'd need to offer way more in pay than we currently do. I think he's at $1M+ currently.
Love his Wiki page.
Todd Grantham

Probably very few, but that's why you hire position coaches to recruit certain areas. All I do know is that he does more with less than just about anyone. He's getting Okie State/Mizzou/Arkansas scraps in recruiting and coaches them way up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Love his Wiki page.
Todd Grantham

Probably very few, but that's why you hire position coaches to recruit certain areas. All I do know is that he does more with less than just about anyone. He's getting Okie State/Mizzou/Arkansas scraps in recruiting and coaches them way up.
Does he get Petrino's scraps as well? :mrgreen:
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

I've got a young guy in mind

Defensive pedigree

West Coast ties

Under the radar

Available
[+] Let us give a big Wildcat welcome to...
Bo Graham
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

With DL also open, is there any interest in Joe Salave'a?

I don't know jack about position coaches, but he seems to have been promoted up the chain at WSU. And he's talked island kids into Pullman.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Love his Wiki page.
Todd Grantham

Does he get Petrino's scraps as well? :mrgreen:
He gets a mil
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:I'm thinking one of the G% west coast DC like Kevin Clune of Utah St, Marcel Yates of Boise St, Greg Robinson of San Jose St, etc. etc.

You got Greg Robinson from me. Haha
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:I'm thinking one of the G% west coast DC like Kevin Clune of Utah St, Marcel Yates of Boise St, Greg Robinson of San Jose St, etc. etc.

You got Greg Robinson from me. Haha
I saw that, but that's not where i got it. I just went down the list of top total defenses at the NCAA site and listed DC from smaller west coast schools.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Greg Robinson coached at Michigan with Rich Rod (Didnt go well) and just retired from coaching
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Newportcat wrote:Greg Robinson coached at Michigan with Rich Rod (Didnt go well) and just retired from coaching
oops. :?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

As long as we are talking about Retreads how about Dick Tomey??

Pity he's not 20 years younger.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:Greg Robinson coached at Michigan with Rich Rod (Didnt go well) and just retired from coaching

Indeed. However, retirement is a loose word for I just helped someone out but would take a higher paying position with better pay.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

My buddy passed this gem on from a Michigan board (Scout, I assume):

"The identity of a RR defensive cooridinator is as irrelevant as a Taylor Swift boyfriend - doomed for dismissal."
Sid

Post by Sid »

BearDown89 wrote:My buddy passed this gem on from a Michigan board (Scout, I assume):

"The identity of a RR defensive cooridinator is as irrelevant as a Taylor Swift boyfriend - doomed for dismissal."
That's cute. I also think it's quite humorous how many seemed to have forgotten just how brilliant our AD really is. You can freaking kiss this horrible defensive scheme goodbye. GB gave Rich a shot with it and it failed miserably, it's go time now with a real defense and one that does not repel defensive talent away from Arizona. We repelled like a MF'er in regards to defensive recruiting, that foolishness stops now! That scheme is dead, just watch....

BTFD
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

You really think Byrne is getting involved with the football program that deeply, telling RR what schemes he can and/or can't run? I would very highly doubt that.
Sid

Post by Sid »

azpenguin wrote:You really think Byrne is getting involved with the football program that deeply, telling RR what schemes he can and/or can't run? I would very highly doubt that.
Absolutely.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:
azpenguin wrote:You really think Byrne is getting involved with the football program that deeply, telling RR what schemes he can and/or can't run? I would very highly doubt that.
Absolutely.
I doubt it. They may have discussed it during the initial interviews before RR was hired but I bet it ended there. Personnel decisions are a different matter though. I'm sure GB is involved in those.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Again, I would very highly doubt that. ADs getting involved in making decisions like that is a good way to run off your coach and make your job unattractive to high level coaches. He might have a say in personnel to a certain point but there's limits on that as well.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Head coaches who refuse to be proactive about personnel, though, regardless of how close their relationships are, might force the AD's hand.

RichRod's a helluva sunshine soothsayer, but read closely at times and you'll also see a communicator proficient at making excuses for his own. Whether it's crappy recruiting or scheme that doesn't fit existing personnel, the honest, personal truth necessary for tough decisions won't be volunteered by that man.

This is not the time for excuses. There's too much that's been invested by too many parties already. And besides, he's being paid too much to make excuses--paid to win, not to not rock the boat.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

BearDown89 wrote:My buddy passed this gem on from a Michigan board (Scout, I assume):

And why would Michigan even care about what RR is doing for his defense.
Sid

Post by Sid »

azpenguin wrote:Again, I would very highly doubt that. ADs getting involved in making decisions like that is a good way to run off your coach and make your job unattractive to high level coaches. He might have a say in personnel to a certain point but there's limits on that as well.
Why? Like Greg said, they discussed it most likely early on the recruiting process. This isn't LivingBAD, we have a very bright relatively young AD that knows the importance of a profitable football program. Many have posted defensive stats, current & past recruiting rankings that make most of us sick. Do you honestly think a former SEC guy is in love with this horrible defensive scheme? GB is not a fan, trust me....if you think this scheme is not a major factor in why our defensive recruiting absolutely sucks, then I'm speechless. But, if you do, I honestly don't know how one would not see why our very hands on AD would not discuss our defensive woes with our head coach?

We shall all see soon enough and I expect someone (reporter) down the road will get GB's thoughts on all of this and that will speak volumes!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

There's a difference between discussing the defensive issues as part of a program wide review and "you need to fire this guy, you need to run this scheme" etc. The former is normal and expected talk. The latter is interfering with a coach and his running of the program.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Several years ago (during the Mack flameout) I did a day trip with a former assistant AD, and we got to talking about Ricky Hundley, a lot of water is under that bridge and it is very likely that he will never be hired at the U for a football position because of past events.

I would cross Ricky off that list. He's pissed off a lot of people with long memories.