Who would be Arizona Next DC.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Who would be Arizona Next DC.

Post by Chicat »

Lovie Smith just became available...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:Lovie Smith just became available...
Beat me to it Chi! Is he a defensive guy?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote:
Yep! He was a LB/Safety as a player, then coached linebackers/DBs at Tulsa, Wisconsin, ASU (yuck), Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ohio State. He helped Dungy develop the Tampa 2 defense with the Buccaneers and then helped the Rams get back to the Super Bowl in 2001 as their defensive coordinator. When he coached the Bears their defenses were dominant.

Although I mentioned him tongue in cheek because we're not getting a former NFL head coach to be an assistant, and I doubt his defense would translate well in the college ranks now, but hey, a guy can dream about actually getting a big name, can't he?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In a less tongue in cheek twist, Lovie Smith's son Mikal Smith was DB's coach and is now out of a job.

He's also a UA alum........

8-)

*Thank you Anthony Gimino for the scoop.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Hansen mentioned Tosh Lupoi today. That guy is a monster recruiter has the poly ties and would be an incredible get on our staff but not sure if he is ready to be a DC. However with his recruiting abilities, maybe we hire him and surround him with a veteran LB coach who can help be the coordinator
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Chicat wrote:In a less tongue in cheek twist, Lovie Smith's son Mikal Smith was DB's coach and is now out of a job.

8-)

Didn't Mikal Smith get kicked out of school for a text book selling scheme or was that someone else. (Memory is starting to go.)
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ALASKACAT wrote:
Chicat wrote:In a less tongue in cheek twist, Lovie Smith's son Mikal Smith was DB's coach and is now out of a job.

8-)

Didn't Mikal Smith get kicked out of school for a text book selling scheme or was that someone else. (Memory is starting to go.)
Good memory. Yes, Mikal and another player were indicted and removed from team
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh well, so much for that.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Newportcat wrote:Hansen mentioned Tosh Lupoi today. That guy is a monster recruiter has the poly ties and would be an incredible get on our staff but not sure if he is ready to be a DC. However with his recruiting abilities, maybe we hire him and surround him with a veteran LB coach who can help be the coordinator

IMHO Tosh loupoi would become a liability just like at Cal and UW.....Tosh has a reputation of lining players pockets for their commitment, I dont think RR plays that game!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dkenner wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Hansen mentioned Tosh Lupoi today. That guy is a monster recruiter has the poly ties and would be an incredible get on our staff but not sure if he is ready to be a DC. However with his recruiting abilities, maybe we hire him and surround him with a veteran LB coach who can help be the coordinator

IMHO Tosh loupoi would become a liability just like at Cal and UW.....Tosh has a reputation of lining players pockets for their commitment, I dont think RR plays that game!
Maybe he should start...
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

After reading several articles and talking to a few people my guess is that RR wants to run something new and innovative. A NE Patriots sort of Hybrid D comes to mind....3-4/4-3/425 looking thing!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Dkenner wrote:After reading several articles and talking to a few people my guess is that RR wants to run something new and innovative. A NE Patriots sort of Hybrid D comes to mind....3-4/4-3/425 looking thing!
I recommend the Double Eagle Flex.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Yep! He was a LB/Safety as a player, then coached linebackers/DBs at Tulsa, Wisconsin, ASU (yuck), Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ohio State. He helped Dungy develop the Tampa 2 defense with the Buccaneers and then helped the Rams get back to the Super Bowl in 2001 as their defensive coordinator. When he coached the Bears their defenses were dominant.

Although I mentioned him tongue in cheek because we're not getting a former NFL head coach to be an assistant, and I doubt his defense would translate well in the college ranks now, but hey, a guy can dream about actually getting a big name, can't he?
Cool. I didn't know his pedigree. A couple of his grandkids live in my neighborhood oddly enough. Their stepdad is the PE teacher at our elementary school. We've watched them grow up and transition from Bears gear to TB gear. Wonder what they'll be wearing next . . .
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

I want a defense where we don't get knocked on our ass at the line of scrimmage and a defense in which we actually tackle the ball carrier, rather than run into the ball carrier and get knocked down. Is that too much to ask?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

carolinacat wrote:I want a defense where we don't get knocked on our ass at the line of scrimmage and a defense in which we actually tackle the ball carrier, rather than run into the ball carrier and get knocked down. Is that too much to ask?
Nope. You can ask. :D
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Buddy just texted me that Brady Hoke is interviewing for Oregon DC position (which I think goes to Justin Wilcox first), and that leads my buddy to ponder Hoke as a candidate for the AZ DC position working with RR. Just rambling . . .
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hoke would be a hilarious hire.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Hoke would be a hilarious hire.

Hoke did amazing work with RichRod's recruits! Not so well with his own.

He also has(had) west coast ties Chief!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'd love it if Hoke came here. The amount of media attention we'd get comparing us to the Fighting Harboughs would be well worth the price of his contract.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chicat wrote:I'd love it if Hoke came here. The amount of media attention we'd get comparing us to the Fighting Harboughs would be well worth the price of his contract.
A home and home with Michigan would be the topper.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Re: Osia Lewis

I just realized that SDSU does not have a Defensive Coordinator. I assume Rocky Long doubles as HC/ DC?

I don't think I have ever heard of that at an FBS school. If Lewis was the DC at UNM, why didn't Long put him in the same role at SDSU?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

OSUCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:I'd love it if Hoke came here. The amount of media attention we'd get comparing us to the Fighting Harboughs would be well worth the price of his contract.
A better record than them even in one outlier year would cause heads to explode.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote: I don't think I have ever heard of that at an FBS school.
Wasn't Pete Carroll his own DC at USC his first few years there? Thought he did that so he could make Norm Chow the highest paid OC in the country.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OSUCat wrote:
Byrne doesn't like the schedule the football or basketball games against premier midwest or east coast programs apparently.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
A better record than them even in one outlier year would cause heads to explode.
Mine would, out of exuberance, if that happens while Harbaugh is there.

I think Michigan will be a perennial 10+ win team during his time in Ann Arbor. It will be tough (impossible?) to match Meyer at tOSU type of success, but I think he will make that rivalry interesting again within the next 2 seasons.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:
Dkenner wrote:

Maybe he should start...
I don't think you need to do it a ton, but I'd do it.

The first targets? High level talents that show significant interest in Arizona on their own (i.e high four star and five star guys that have gone through the process and on their own have shown significant interest in Arizona).

So for example, I wouldn't have let Tabor get away. Make it easier for him to overcome his moms strong desire to keep him closer to home by lining those pockets with cash so mom can come visit lots.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino talks and writes about his interview with Coach Rod. Also, an interesting report that the spring practice will focus on individual skills and fundamentals and not team work. There may not even be a spring scrimmage.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Merkin wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
Byrne doesn't like the schedule the football or basketball games against premier midwest or east coast programs apparently.
Byrne said we have series in the works with big 10 and 12 teams.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We do have a home and home with Miss St in the future.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:Hoke would be a hilarious hire.
Probably for Dline Position but a DC. It be good if RR did hired him.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:Re: Osia Lewis

I just realized that SDSU does not have a Defensive Coordinator. I assume Rocky Long doubles as HC/ DC?

I don't think I have ever heard of that at an FBS school. If Lewis was the DC at UNM, why didn't Long put him in the same role at SDSU?
Harvey I just done explain that to some people that Rocky Long was the primary DC while the HC. You just now found that out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Dkenner wrote:

Maybe he should start...

The first targets? High level talents that show significant interest in Arizona on their own (i.e high four star and five star guys that have gone through the process and on their own have shown significant interest in Arizona).

So for example, I wouldn't have let Tabor get away. Make it easier for him to overcome his moms strong desire to keep him closer to home by lining those pockets with cash so mom can come visit lots.
If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.
phxcat4

Post by phxcat4 »

David Fipp - How come his name is not being mentioned with others that have Cat ties.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Re: Osia Lewis

Harvey I just done explain that to some people that Rocky Long was the primary DC while the HC. You just now found that out.
When you have a head coach that is oriented on one side of the ball, the coordinator on that side of the ball tends to have limited authority and power.

But to not even have a coordinator? I do not think I have seen that before.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote: But to not even have a coordinator? I do not think I have seen that before.
As I noted above, Pete Carroll was his own DC for a number of years while head coach at USC.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

phxcat4 wrote:David Fipp - How come his name is not being mentioned with others that have Cat ties.
Not a bad resume at all. Give Rich Rod a call.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:
SCCats wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Dkenner wrote:

Maybe he should start...

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.
Everyone knows your business won't flourish without the proper investments.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
phxcat4 wrote:David Fipp - How come his name is not being mentioned with others that have Cat ties.

Bet he knows the double eagle flex real well.

Unfortunately.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Bet he knows the double eagle flex real well.

Unfortunately.
All the OC's have forgotten about it. It could work again. Jorts came back into style didn't they?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
Mine would, out of exuberance, if that happens while Harbaugh is there.

I think Michigan will be a perennial 10+ win team during his time in Ann Arbor. It will be tough (impossible?) to match Meyer at tOSU type of success, but I think he will make that rivalry interesting again within the next 2 seasons.
I guess I should've mentioned that my buddy is a die-hard lifelong Michigan fan and a secondary AZ fan due to our friendship and the RR connection. This is exactly where his head was at.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

IMHO Tosh loupoi would become a liability just like at Cal and UW.....Tosh has a reputation of lining players pockets for their commitment, I dont think RR plays that game![/quote]

Maybe he should start...[/quote]

So for example, I wouldn't have let Tabor get away. Make it easier for him to overcome his moms strong desire to keep him closer to home by lining those pockets with cash so mom can come visit lots.[/quote]

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.[/quote]

Everyone knows your business won't flourish without the proper investments.[/quote]

I'd rather lose every game than be alumni of a university that plays this way.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sheer's DC of the moment is Paul Rhodes.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

carcassdragger wrote:I'd rather lose every game than be alumni of a university that plays this way.
I understand the sentiment. I see all the time in business people who want to hold onto certain things and those same people will readily admit those sentiments put themselves at a disadvantage. And I watch those people get shitcanned all up and down the street almost every time.

But at least they'll have their moral purity to fall back on as they're getting utterly destroyed. So there's that at least. They can put it on their headstone in the end...'But at least I stayed morally pure!' #virginsintheafterlifeforme
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If anyone thinks UA or any other P5 school is following every NCAA rule to the letter, I'd like to tell you about the time I had an orgy with five Victoria's Secret models....
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

azgreg wrote:Sheer's DC of the moment is Paul Rhodes.
Hard not to really like his results as a DC!! Obviously had some lumps as a head coach but had some moments.

Definitely, a conventional defensive approach from what I can tell. Get it done RR!!!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

SCCats wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:I'd rather lose every game than be alumni of a university that plays this way.
I understand the sentiment. I see all the time in business people who want to hold onto certain things and those same people will readily admit those sentiments put themselves at a disadvantage. And I watch those people get shitcanned all up and down the street almost every time.

But at least they'll have their moral purity to fall back on as they're getting utterly destroyed. So there's that at least. They can put it on their headstone in the end...'But at least I stayed morally pure!' #virginsintheafterlifeforme
Seems like you are trying to assert your moral superiority by stating you don't play by the rules.
Chicat wrote:If anyone thinks UA or any other P5 school is following every NCAA rule to the letter, I'd like to tell you about the time I had an orgy with five Victoria's Secret models....
Completely agree with you. But I think there are some programs that are run better and cleaner than others. I'm hoping that under Stoops and RR we're one of the latter and that we'll stay that way.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SCCats wrote:

There's certainly some truth to what you state... you sound like an MLB player at a steroid hearing. If you are as honest about it I real life as you are behind the anonymity of a message board, I would applaud you for it.

That said, you're on a slippery slope... And the farther you slip down it, the more you can rationalize it. You're doing it, so everybody else who is any good must be, too. Except, of course, those who go too far (if there is such a thing).

I am going to hazard 2 guesses:

1. You are an attorney, but don't practice. -and-
2. You are either in the securities industry, or in a family business.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I remember when Arizona was under NCAA probation. No more of that, please.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:I remember when Arizona was under NCAA probation. No more of that, please.

You remember Tony Mason? And I thought I was old!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

carcassdragger wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Seems like you are trying to assert your moral superiority by stating you don't play by the rules.
I actually don't know where you would get that from anywhere in my posts. I think a huge chunk of the point is there isn't any moral superiority in the top level of college athletics anymore, not for me or anyone else. There's just the winning and the losing and the feeling and experiences and memories that you get from those situations.