Who would be Arizona Next DC.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SCCats

Re: Who would be Arizona Next DC.

Post by SCCats »

Harvey Specter wrote:There's certainly some truth to what you state... you sound like an MLB player at a steroid hearing.
They just put Piazza in the Hall.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:Sheer's DC of the moment is Paul Rhodes.

He has no ties to west coast recruiting and I question his ability to hire the right guys.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote:
azpenguin wrote:I remember when Arizona was under NCAA probation. No more of that, please.

You remember Tony Mason? And I thought I was old!

I remember all the way back to Jim LaRue. Makovic was probably one of the biggest pricks this school ever hired but Mason was the ultimate slime ball.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Chief, since you've been a longtime critic of the 3-3-5, who would be your dream (but realistic) pick as our DC?

(Apologies if you already answered and I just missed it)
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Chief, since you've been a longtime critic of the 3-3-5, who would be your dream (but realistic) pick as our DC?

Eddie O. But that isn't happening.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:Chief, since you've been a longtime critic of the 3-3-5, who would be your dream (but realistic) pick as our DC?

Eddie O. But that isn't happening.
I'd love that... break the bank to bring him on board.

But if the promise of a 'head coach in waiting' status is what it would take, color me not interested.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Arizona would finally have its Rose Bowl if Byrne was willing to take the chance of hiring Ed Orgeron. But he probably wouldn't have the patience to deal with all of his head coach's BS, frankly, and want to move things more expediently.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

catgrad97 wrote:Arizona would finally have its Rose Bowl if Byrne was willing to take the chance of hiring Ed Orgeron. But he probably wouldn't have the patience to deal with all of his head coach's BS, frankly, and want to move things more expediently.
Last I check that MSU was pressuring Ed Orgeron to be their DC. No deal haven't been made yet and LSU is working on a contract extension to keep him their. Just scratch him off the list he isn't going to leave his current spot with LSU.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Makes $501K for UH
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

How many different names can Scheer throw out there before one sticks?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:How many different names can Scheer throw out there before one sticks?
If he lists them all, he can come back and say "see, I told you so!".
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:
Makes $501K for UH
Is Dawn available?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

wyo-cat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Makes $501K for UH
Is Dawn available?
Dawn's hanging round the old oak tree... hasn't been the same since Todd's brother Tony passed. RiP
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

catgrad97 wrote:Arizona would finally have its Rose Bowl if Byrne was willing to take the chance of hiring Ed Orgeron. But he probably wouldn't have the patience to deal with all of his head coach's BS, frankly, and want to move things more expediently.
All of RR's BS?

You must have better sources than me. All of the assistant coaches really like working for RR. Where are you getting this info? I'm not an insider and don't claim to be, but all of the assistants I've talked to are really good, genuine guys who wouldn't work for anyone else, if they had their preference.

I, personally, haven't met RR. So I can't say anything about him.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Tosh Lupoi please. Rhodes, Orlando, or Lupoi are all homerun hires imo
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Tosh would be interesting, but he's strictly known as a recruiting guy and not having much feel on the X's and O's of things.

O is a master motivator and a heck of a line coach, but DC/HC he is not
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

catinfl wrote:Tosh Lupoi please. Rhodes, Orlando, or Lupoi are all homerun hires imo
Rhodes was a Big 12 HC, SEC DC and Big East DC, he's a guy that doesn't need connections. People that know CFB will know the name and rep of Paul Rhodes.

From all I know, his players at ISU loved playing for the guy and the D side of the ball wasn't why he got shit canned, it was the O.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

MrBug708 wrote:Tosh would be interesting, but he's strictly known as a recruiting guy and not having much feel on the X's and O's of things.

Does "O" refer to Orlando or Orgeron? They both have been mentioned.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Ogereon
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Ogeron ain't coming to Arizona.
Sid

Post by Sid »

MrBug708 wrote:Tosh would be interesting, but he's strictly known as a recruiting guy and not having much feel on the X's and O's of things.

I would bet my left nut that your boy was ecstatic that sc royally screwed up by not handing over the reigns to Coach O.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Tosh is not really a positional coach and he couldn't coordinate himself out of a wet paper bag. Tosh negative 2.0. Eddie O owns him in recruiting plus can coach. Tosh has the west coast connections but if he ain't coaching, he's a waste of money IMO.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:Tosh Lupoi please. Rhodes, Orlando, or Lupoi are all homerun hires imo

Not really. Tosh would be a flop. Rhodes has no west coast connections and HS kids in Cali and AZ don't even know who he is and could care less. Orlando is a home run? How is that? With a micro managing HC up his derrière? No way.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chief, you're the best. You like exactly one possible candidate who we have no chance at. And you refuse to name anyone you like who we do have a chance at. You just love pissing in the punch bowl.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Crying out loud. People were complaining that RR needed to do something about the defense, so he did. Now someone has him pegged as a micromanager and will be up the next coaches derriere. He just can't win, can he?
Gimino interviews RR and he makes some very vague nonspecific statements that he's not tied to any system and Harvey goes off the deep end about how suddenly RR is going to run a hybrid 335 and for the life of me I don't know where he read that.
Scheer evidently saw the burning bush and a list of ten coaching candidates were delivered to him on tablets of stone I guess.
I'm waiting for someone to tell me they saw Elvis and RR is going to interview him. I don't need TV to entertain me, I have this message board.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sid wrote:

I would bet my left nut that your boy was ecstatic that sc royally screwed up by not handing over the reigns to Coach O.
Sark was a better hire than O. That should stress my disappointment in USC not hiring CEO
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Chicat wrote:Chief, you're the best. You like exactly one possible candidate who we have no chance at. And you refuse to name anyone you like who we do have a chance at. You just love pissing in the punch bowl.
Chief gon' be Chief!

The cycle will start all over again once there's a hire and the first snap happens in the spring game, this scheme sucks...the DC sucks...yadda yadda yadda...
Sid

Post by Sid »

MrBug708 wrote:
Sid wrote:

Sark was a better hire than O. That should stress my disappointment in USC not hiring CEO
We would've all been fucked if Pat had the brains to give Ed the job. Bama/Clemson would be playing SC for the natty.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Sid wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Sid wrote:

We would've all been fucked if Pat had the brains to give Ed the job. Bama/Clemson would be playing SC for the natty.
His 10-25 stint as a HC at Mississippi sealed his fate, it was too bad and too much in everyone's memory.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Chief, you're the best. You like exactly one possible candidate who we have no chance at. And you refuse to name anyone you like who we do have a chance at. You just love pissing in the punch bowl.
Chief gon' be Chief!

The cycle will start all over again once there's a hire and the first snap happens in the spring game, this scheme sucks...the DC sucks...yadda yadda yadda...
Shit, he hasn't even waited for the hire.

Of course, if my whole schtick was predicated on glibly predicting that everything will always be shit, I wouldn't be saying anything positive right now either.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:

Not really. Tosh would be a flop. Rhodes has no west coast connections and HS kids in Cali and AZ don't even know who he is and could care less. Orlando is a home run? How is that? With a micro managing HC up his derrière? No way.
lol alright dude.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Coach Rodriguez,

You should totally sign Tosh Lupoi.

Signed

The rest of the PAC 12
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:Coach Rodriguez,

Signed

The rest of the PAC 12
He could blitz every play and get burned deep. Wait...that's what I do!

-Todd Graham (defensive genius and owner of the shittiest pass D of 2015)
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Signed

The rest of the PAC 12
Coach Graham,

I hope you have the "best" team you've ever coached next year. We all know how it turned out last year.

Signed
The Rest of the Pac 12
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sid wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Sid wrote:

I think Tom Holmoe had more coaching acumen. But you can feel about it how you want
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

lol alright dude.

You listen to the tainted one way too much. Tony Orlando :lol: isn't as much of a stretch though. RR actually likes him. A bit of a bromance there. Rita should be worried about her nachos.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I don't see why guys are so negative before a hire is made. I am usually negative on Arizona football because we historically are not very good but am still optimistic we will make a good hire because it seems for once money won't be an issue. I know previously we have low balled our assistant football coaches but we opened up the wallet with Casteel and think we do the same.

I love bringing in the young aggressive coaches on defense who can recruit as the biggest problem our program always has had is consistently recruiting well. Players wake up dreaming to play for USC football very few ever dream of playing for Arizona football so we need aggressive coaches who can go get those players on both sides of the ball.

But to be negative before a hire is made seems dumb
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

catinfl wrote:

Signed

The rest of the PAC 12
Coach Graham,

I hope you have the "best" team you've ever coached next year. We all know how it turned out last year.

Signed
The Rest of the Pac 12
Haha, you know things are rough when fans are getting sensitive over a prospective coach. Tosh Lupoi is not a good football coach.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/statu ... 7532984320" target="_blank

Looks like Rhodes will be at Miss St.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

We do need to replace 2 defensive coordinators, wouldn't Tosh be great as position coach/recruiter with a more developed Xs and Os DC at the helm?

Not saying we'd get Tosh away from Bama without offering him something at a higher
level. Or is everyone debating about the possibility of him being DC?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Signed

The rest of the PAC 12
Coach Graham,

Signed
The Rest of the Pac 12
Haha, you know things are rough when fans are getting sensitive over a prospective coach. Tosh Lupoi is not a good football coach.
Fan of a team with a worse record than us saying how rough we have it. Must really be shitty for you bud.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Chicat wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
Chief gon' be Chief!

Of course, if my whole schtick was predicated on glibly predicting that everything will always be shit, I wouldn't be saying anything positive right now either.
All of the above. Spot on.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:
Chicat wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
Chief gon' be Chief!

Definitely spot on. I was Casteel's biggest critic for four years and finally we all found out that I was dead wrong. :D
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

wyo-cat wrote:
Rhodes was a Big 12 HC, SEC DC and Big East DC, he's a guy that doesn't need connections. People that know CFB will know the name and rep of Paul Rhodes.

From all I know, his players at ISU loved playing for the guy and the D side of the ball wasn't why he got shit canned, it was the O.
Paul Rhode would be good choice as DC for Arizona but the question remain thou is RR interested in him.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Chicat wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
Chief gon' be Chief!

Definitely spot on. I was Casteel's biggest critic for four years and finally we all found out that I was dead wrong. :D
You are literally everything in the program's biggest critic. You can act like you are all high and mighty, but everyone sees right through it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

It's good to see you're still alive DC. I was getting a bit worried, I'll admit. I tried a welfare check but didn't hear from you. So, are you headed back to WV with Daddy or is he keeping you here to regulate me? Love ya buddy. Just wait till you hear who your Godfather got! Oh, I'm sure you already know.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Chicat wrote:[quote="wyo-

Chief gon' be Chief!

You are literally everything in the program's biggest critic. You can act like you are all high and mighty, but everyone sees right through it.[/quote]

Oh, that's not true CFL. I'm not a critic of everything. I happen to enjoy the beers in the north concourse. Me high and mighty? Hell no. I'm just an outsider looking in. Tell everyone that has x-Ray vision that Chief says hi!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:It's good to see you're still alive DC. I was getting a bit worried, I'll admit. I tried a welfare check but didn't hear from you. So, are you headed back to WV with Daddy or is he keeping you here to regulate me? Love ya buddy. Just wait till you hear who your Godfather got! Oh, I'm sure you already know.
I assume this means you have an idea on who you think the new DC will be. If so, do you care to go on record with a prediction?

I have a sneaking suspicion you are going to say Tony Gibson.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:It's good to see you're still alive DC. I was getting a bit worried, I'll admit. I tried a welfare check but didn't hear from you. So, are you headed back to WV with Daddy or is he keeping you here to regulate me? Love ya buddy. Just wait till you hear who your Godfather got! Oh, I'm sure you already know.
I assume this means you have an idea on who you think the new DC will be. If so, do you care to go on record with a prediction?

I have a sneaking suspicion you are going to say Tony Gibson.
Chief has no idea whatsoever.