Welcome Aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's New DC

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HaCats

Re: Who will be Arizona's new DC?

Post by HaCats »

Forget that Chief, I'm really liking Mike Hunt for the DC position.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

chiefzona wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Chicat wrote: Mike Cox (not a joke...his real name)
Justin Ena
Angus McClure
Jimmy Lake
Kevin Kane
Hmmm....as DC? I'll take a runner on all those guys except MAYBE McClure and Lake.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh my goodness, something useful? Consider my pearls to be properly clutched.

I know Cox & McClure. The rest I'll need to read up on.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I also like Brian Jean-Mary Texas LB coach/recruiting coordinator. Dude can recruit. He was recruiter of the year 2014 for the Big 12.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Didn't Kane return to NIU? Alma Mater?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:Didn't Kane return to NIU? Alma Mater?

Last year he left his alma mater Kansas to become the NIU DC and LB coach.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Justin Ena
Angus McClure
Jimmy Lake
Kevin Kane
Hmmm....as DC? I'll take a runner on all those guys except MAYBE McClure and Lake.
I think Lake is the most intriguing name on that list... I like that idea. Brian Jean-Mary would be my #2.

Admittedly, I did not recognize any of those names... my opinion is based solely n a Google search of each of their bios.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:

The article I read indicated he's headed back to NIU. Just left Kansas and yes, he is a former Jayhawk.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Picking one at random since he has a fun name, Angus McClure has never been a DC and in his 20 years of coaching spent almost all of them on the offensive side.

Good recruiter though.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Picking one at random since he has a fun name, Angus McClure has never been a DC and in his 20 years of coaching spent almost all of them on the offensive side.

Good recruiter though.

Angus McClure is my top pick. He is very unorthodox because he was on the offensive side of the ball for years but he has learned the defense through offense. His work outs and rep with the UCLA DL is top notch and I could see him working well with RR. His recruiting is very good and he can camp in SoCal all day and poach kids. He has good repoire with a lot of coaches there. I also think he would be able to bring in some coaches and not clash so much with what RR wants. He has great formational knowledge on both sides of the ball.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

The article I read indicated he's headed back to NIU. Just left Kansas and yes, he is a former Jayhawk.

That was in Jan of 2015. A year ago.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Nope. Dated 4 days ago on Fox Sports, Jan. 8th 2016. Would provide link if I had a clue with new phone. Was at NIU and left for Kansas and now back to NIU.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Nope. Dated 4 days ago on Fox Sports, Jan. 8th 2016. Would provide link if I had a clue with new phone. Was at NIU and left for Kansas and now back to NIU.
You are correct. I had thought he was there this last season. He's low on the Totem pole. We'll see how he does this year.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
whatisee wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Justin Ena
Angus McClure
Jimmy Lake
Kevin Kane
I think Lake is the most intriguing name on that list... I like that idea. Brian Jean-Mary would be my #2.

Admittedly, I did not recognize any of those names... my opinion is based solely n a Google search of each of their bios.

Lake is inriguiging. Brian Jean-Mary is a good option. Ena is raw but he knows defense well and the Poly side for recruiting is great. He knows Cali well and wouldn't give RR any guff.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:Picking one at random since he has a fun name, Angus McClure has never been a DC and in his 20 years of coaching spent almost all of them on the offensive side.

Good recruiter though.

Angus McClure is my top pick. He is very unorthodox because he was on the offensive side of the ball for years but he has learned the defense through offense. His work outs and rep with the UCLA DL is top notch and I could see him working well with RR. His recruiting is very good and he can camp in SoCal all day and poach kids. He has good repoire with a lot of coaches there. I also think he would be able to bring in some coaches and not clash so much with what RR wants. He has great formational knowledge on both sides of the ball.
Well said Chief, and a nice positive informative post.

Didn't Tomey have a coach that switched from offense to defense, Duane Akina?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Good recruiter though.

Thanks. Kind of. He was a QB at Udub but has only coached on the defensive side of the ball as far as I know.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:I also like Brian Jean-Mary Texas LB coach/recruiting coordinator. Dude can recruit. He was recruiter of the year 2014 for the Big 12.
Like what I read. Very solid results coaching and recruiting, also getting Cats back into Texas!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:

Good recruiter though.

I don't think he has aspirations to move up. I've never heard his name in connection with the ucla DC. He was essentially our version of Matty Dudek but he was too valuable to keep on campus. His connections are in NorCal
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Good recruiter though.

I don't think he has aspirations to move up. I've never heard his name in connection with the ucla DC. He was essentially our version of Matty Dudek but he was too valuable to keep on campus. His connections are in NorCal
He's the recruiting coordinator/DL coach and sure he wants to move up. The only NorCal recruit he's pulling is Tagaloa. He mainly gets the SoCal guys like these guys he has recruited/recruiting: Vanderdoes, Lucier-South, Fitts, Pickett, Lee, and Moore.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Vipers in this thread! :lol:

Think the only thing that applies to most of the casual fans is no one will have any clue about whatever DC we hire and will have to do extensive Googling to get up to speed. Fair enough. But to be a press winner, new dc going to have to be a stalwart in a defensive scheme other than the 3-3-5 (didn't exactly see much of that played in the College Football Playoff haha), and also a history as an excellent recruiter, or at the least a young guy with the enthusiasm and willingness to work his tail off getting out there bringing in better recruits. That would be a homerun hire.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So who going to be are new Safety Coach?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:So who going to be are new Safety Coach?
Dudek is in charge of handing out the condoms.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Good recruiter though.

That was a total disaster. Akina was a good guy but I was happy to see him move back to coaching the secondary after his brief role as the OC.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Good recruiter though.

He's the recruiting coordinator/DL coach and sure he wants to move up. The only NorCal recruit he's pulling is Tagaloa. He mainly gets the SoCal guys like these guys he has recruited/recruiting: Vanderdoes, Lucier-South, Fitts, Pickett, Lee, and Moore.
Either your source is bad or your have poor googling skills

We'll use the guys you mentioned
Vanderdoes - He's from Auburn, Ca. Check out a map. A hint is that it isn't in SoCal
Lucier-South - He's a DL coach, Lucier-South is a DL.
Fitts - A Mora kid. He was going to USC until they told him he couldnt come in early, so he enrolls in UCLA instead.
Pickett - Richmond, Ca kid. Any idea where that is? A hint is that it isn't in SoCal
Lee - No one on the roster is named Lee. We you thinking of Craig Lee? That was a Broussard recruitment. If you are talking about Dymond Lee, he's a WR/QB who is coming to UCLA to "play" QB before he inevitably switches to WR. He's been recruited by Yarber, our WR coach
Moore - Are you talking about Marcus Moore? He was offered and committed on the spot. He's also a DL guy, so it's McClure position of expertise.

Some guys you missed who were recruited by McClure
Nick Terry - NorCal kid
Tark McKinley - NorCal kid
Marcus Rios - NorCal kid
Johnny Den Bleyker - NorCal

Did you notice a trend on kids Angus is after?
All of McClure's connections are with NorCal high schools. He's obviously made in-roads in the SoCal scene since he's coached at UCLA for a few years now, but his value is in NorCal
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Good recruiter though.

Vanderdoes - He's from Auburn, Ca. Check out a map. A hint is that it isn't in SoCal
Fitts - A Mora kid. He was going to USC until they told him he couldnt come in early, so he enrolls in UCLA instead.
Pickett - Richmond, Ca kid. Any idea where that is? A hint is that it isn't in SoCal
Lee - I don't know who he is. No one on the roster is named Lee. We you thinking of Craig Lee? That was a Broussard recruitment
Moore - I don't know who he is.

All of McCLure's connections are with NorCal high schools. He's obviously made in-roads in the SoCal scene since he's coached at UCLA for a few years now, but his value is in NorCal
He has plenty SoCal ties just like Nor Cal. Dymond Lee is a WR he is recruiting out of Chaminade....In the valley. Why would he be recruiting a WR out of the valley this year? Marcus Moore is a DE he is recruiting out of Crespi. He also nabbed a RB, Jalen Starks out of Crespi. He is also recruiting a CB out of Calabasas by the name of Vukobradovich. He's been seen poking around Serra, Centennial, OLU.....and not just looking at DL recruits.
Last edited by chiefzona on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

So Bug....we can both agree that Coach McClure has many ties all over California. ;)
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Well isn't this lovely. See kids, if we treat each other with respect and make just a few positive suggestions we can have a pleasant conversation. Now let's all get some juice and crackers before bed. You've all earned it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

BearDown89 wrote:Well isn't this lovely. See kids, if we treat each other with respect and make just a few positive suggestions we can have a pleasant conversation. Now let's all get some juice and crackers before bed. You've all earned it.

Thanks Dad. I'll brush my teeth right after too. Could you tell us the story of the scary pitchfork guy?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:Well isn't this lovely. See kids, if we treat each other with respect and make just a few positive suggestions we can have a pleasant conversation. Now let's all get some juice and crackers before bed. You've all earned it.

Thanks Dad. I'll brush my teeth right after too. Could you tell us the story of the scary pitchfork guy?
Kidding aside, thanks for your recent contributions and insights in this thread. Helpful and appreciated.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:So Bug....we can both agree that Coach McClure has many ties all over California. ;)
I adjusted my initial quote

Lee - No one on the roster is named Lee. We you thinking of Craig Lee? That was a Broussard recruitment. If you are talking about Dymond Lee, he's a WR/QB who is coming to UCLA to "play" QB before he inevitably switches to WR. He's been recruited by Yarber, our WR coach
Moore - Are you talking about Marcus Moore? He was offered and committed on the spot. He's also a DL guy, so it's McClure position of expertise.

Some guys you missed who were recruited by McClure
Nick Terry - NorCal kid
Tark McKinley - NorCal kid
Marcus Rios - NorCal kid
Johnny Den Bleyker - NorCal

Did you notice a trend on kids Angus is after?
All of McClure's connections are with NorCal high schools. He's obviously made in-roads in the SoCal scene since he's coached at UCLA for a few years now, but his value is in NorCal

Also, he's recruiting Starks and Moore because he can get around the rules for their recruitment. Rick also had this advantage at UCLA at Loyola High
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
Chi sometime I think you don't take it seriously to the point that we have three opening on the defensive staff. In which Caponi leaving for WV isn't too bad of a surprised. The jokes aren't funny.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I thought the Dudek joke was funny..even though I appreciate all he does for the program.

This thread has been very informative. We all have the same goal even though we have different opinions on how to get there.

Keep it up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Chi sometime I think you don't take it seriously to the point that we have three opening on the defensive staff. In which Caponi leaving for WV isn't too bad of a surprised. The jokes aren't funny.
It's incredibly serious. In fact, I'm going to start three new threads on it and then hold a candlelight vigil. Care to join me?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
It's incredibly serious. In fact, I'm going to start three new threads on it and then hold a candlelight vigil. Care to join me?
Now you're just encouraging him...
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dc4azcats wrote:
Dkenner wrote:Arizona safeties coach Matt Caponi is headed to West Virginia per sources http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop....." target="_blank. but I didnt know that 4 days ago did I?
Shows you what I know? :lol: :lol: Now the new DC can bring in 2 guys which makes RR's job a little easier.
Your mistake is trying to apply logic to this situation, DC. :)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Dude, we have an opening at DC. That's all you need to worry about right now. All the other positions are, or should be open by definition.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

while digging around this week for names for the Arizona Wildcats’ two defensive openings – check that; three defensive openings – I heard one I hadn’t stumbled across before.

Before I reveal it, please bear mind that it’s a name I gleaned from a source who is not connected in any way with the Arizona football program. This person has been at the AFCA Convention in San Antonio, where literally thousands of coaches are gathered and you hear things.

The name the source gave me was Marcel Yates, the current defensive coordinator at Boise State. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but later in the day, when Matt Caponi left the UA program, it started to make more sense.

Caponi coached safeties for the Wildcats. Besides being the Broncos’ D-coordinator, Yates also coaches – you guessed it – safeties.

Yates played defensive back for Boise from 1996-99, which means he’s in his late-30s. (Check.) Yates is in his second stint as a Broncos assistant after spending 2012 and ’13 as co-defensive coordinator at Texas A&M, where he earned a reputation as a top recruiter. (Check.) He also has shown he can get the most out of under-the-radar prospects. (Check.)

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/uafootba ... &id=201408" target="_blank
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Michael Lev seems to be an upgrade so far over Berkie. I liked Berk but he didn't really stir the pot - Lev already seems to be more comfortable editorializing, which makes for more interesting reading.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

azthrillhouse wrote:Michael Lev seems to be an upgrade so far over Berkie. I liked Berk but he didn't really stir the pot - Lev already seems to be more comfortable editorializing, which makes for more interesting reading.

Agreed!
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Dkenner wrote: The name the source gave me was Marcel Yates
Interesting...other than age. I can't see a reason to not hire him.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He's probably head coach in waiting at Boise. Harsin isn't long for the Broncos
Merkin

Another Yates mention

Post by Merkin »

Nice resume, his official bio:

Marcel Yates enters his second season as Boise State's defensive coordinator in 2015. A graduate of Boise State and an assistant coach with the Broncos from 2003-11, Yates returned to his alma mater in 2014 following a two-year stint as the co-defensive coordinator at Texas A&M.

Yates helped instill into the defense a tenacity that led to the Broncos pacing the Mountain West with the lowest opponents' third-down conversion rate (34.8 percent), a mark that ranked 18th nationally. The Broncos also ranked second in the conference in red-zone defense and opponents' fourth-down conversion rate (42.9 percent).

Boise State also set the Mountain West standard with 31 turnovers forced, ranking ninth nationally. Included were a conference-best 22 interceptions, ranking fifth nationally, led by seven from safety Darian Thompson and six from cornerback Donte Deayon. This ball-hawking mentality led to six touchdowns from Bronco defenders, led by two apiece from Deayon (two interception returns) and linebacker Tanner Vallejo (one interception, one fumble return).

Five members of Boise State’s defense earned All-Mountain West recognition, headlined by STUD end Kamalei Correa and Thompson being named to the conference’s first team. Deayon and Vallejo earned spots on the second team while defensive end Beau Martin received honorable mention.

On the front line, Correa led the Mountain West with 12.0 sacks as the Broncos ranked seventh-nationally at 3.36 per game. Boise State also ranked seventh nationally in tackles-for-loss (7.8 per game).

Fittingly, it was Yates’ defense which helped seal Boise State’s 38-30 VIZIO Fiesta Bowl win over No. 10 Arizona, as Deayon returned a second-half interception 16 yards for the Broncos’ final touchdown and Correa sacked Wildcat quarterback Anu Solomon at the Bronco 10-yard line on the game’s final play.

Boise State concluded Yates’ debut season as coordinator with an overall record of 12-2, winning both the 2014 Sports Authority Mountain West Football Championship and the 2014 VIZIO Fiesta Bowl.

Yates, who played defensive back for the Broncos from 1996-99, was Boise State's cornerbacks coach from 2003-05, before taking over the entire secondary from 2006-11. He added defensive pass game coordinator responsibilities in 2011, before moving on to Texas A&M.

While with the Broncos as an assistant, Boise State won seven conference championships in nine seasons and appeared in a bowl game each year. The Broncos won five of the bowl games, including both the 2007 and 2010 Tostitos Fiesta Bowls.

During his final six seasons with Boise State, five defensive backs went on to be selected in the National Football League Draft: Gerald Alexander (Second Round, Detroit Lions, 2007), Orlando Scandrick (Fifth Round, Dallas Cowboys, 2008), Kyle Wilson (First Round, New York Jets, 2010), Brandyn Thompson (Seventh Round, Washington Redskins, 2011) and George Iloka (Fifth Round, Cincinnati Bengals, 2012).

He also coached Jamar Taylor, who was selected in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins.

The Aggies concluded the 2012 season ranked fifth-nationally in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches Polls, and won 11 games for the first time since 1998. The Aggies went 9-4 in 2013, finishing the season ranked No. 18 in each poll.

Prior to joining the Boise State staff in 2003, Yates was an assistant secondary coach at Montana State from 2001-02. In his second season with the Bobcats, Montana State won its first Big Sky Conference Championship and earned its first NCAA Division I-AA Playoff appearance in 18 years.

Yates earned his bachelor's degree in social science from Boise State in 2000. Following his senior season, he earned the team's Denny Erickson Award for Valor.

He and his wife Melanie have two children, daughter Kaybrie and son Eric.
Last edited by Merkin on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

$700,000 > $330,000
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Do we really have to wait until the weekend to get some announcement on this? I want to put this thread to rest and have a name. We need to be able to start a new thread where people can welcome our new coach to Arizona by pissing on him and his resume. We can all argue about what sort of system he'll put in and can he recruit. This thread is now at a point where we can't even get a good legitimate rumor going. Marcel Yates would be a good rumor except you ruined it by saying he won't leave Boise.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tgrumpy2 wrote:Do we really have to wait until the weekend to get some announcement on this?
I believe state policy requires a job to be listed for 10 days.

The review doesn't start until 1/16/16

https://uacareers.com/postings/7955" target="_blank
TuiTouchdown

Re: Another Yates mention

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Merkin wrote:
And Josh Allen's top two according to 24/7 are Boise and us.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:Do we really have to wait until the weekend to get some announcement on this?
I believe state policy requires a job to be listed for 10 days.

The review doesn't start until 1/16/16

https://uacareers.com/postings/7955" target="_blank
I knew about the ten days but for some reason I assumed the job was posted immediately after the firings.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Awe shucks....change of heart....Casteel is coming back. Shucks.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote: Awe shucks....change of heart....Casteel is coming back. Shucks.
Must of been RichRod checking out the UA fan sites for our reactions.