Welcome Aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's New DC

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OSUCat

Re: Who will be Arizona's new DC?

Post by OSUCat »

splitsecond wrote:I love that people are praising the 4-2-5 when we already ran the 4-2-5 out of the 3-3-5 base fairly regularly. Base schemes do not matter. It's the variations you use and when you use them that are important.
Arizona didn't use it often. A couple times a drive, maybe, but mostly Arizona used a straight 3-3-5. And fans would probably have like to use 4-2-5 more, but Arizona wasn't using it. Additional, you are also rushing a 4-2-5 with lineman for a 3-3-5, which is different. I expect being able to recruit and use better players if Arizona moves to a 4 base.

While every team run various formation the Base defense is still very important.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

carolinacat wrote:Whoever the DC is, can he teach our guys how to actually tackle?
Up until this season the tackling had been for the most part very good under Casteel. The difference from the 2011 team to the 2012 team was night and day. They did well in 2013 and also last year, save for the Pac-12 title game where they couldn't get off the field and were gassed.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

splitsecond wrote:I love that people are praising the 4-2-5 when we already ran the 4-2-5 out of the 3-3-5 base fairly regularly. Base schemes do not matter. It's the variations you use and when you use them that are important.
Incorrect
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Incorrect

Hater you better be more specific in what you think is incorrect with SS post as we often moved a LB down to rush end and presented a 4 man front with 2 LB's
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 are very different schemes with different personnel being used. What we occasionally did may look like a 4-2-5 but it wasn't that. There are more differences between the systems than having one lb walk forward a few feet and split second doesn't seem to understand that
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azpenguin wrote:
carolinacat wrote:Whoever the DC is, can he teach our guys how to actually tackle?
Up until this season the tackling had been for the most part very good under Casteel. The difference from the 2011 team to the 2012 team was night and day. They did well in 2013 and also last year, save for the Pac-12 title game where they couldn't get off the field and were gassed.
This is exactly right.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

When you see 3 down lineman and a safety or LB playing up off the edge....that's not a 4-2-5. It's a functionality of the 3-3-5 Odd Stack.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sure you are looking for 4 traditional big uglies in a 4 front
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Gary Patterson has had success with the 4-2-5 at TCU. Koetter ran it at ASU and it was a disaster. Let's hope for better results than the Scum had.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If the Cats went to a four man front, I wonder who would end up playing the DE spots. I can easily see Williams and Griffin at the DT spots.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

carcassdragger wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
This is exactly right.
No, it's not, and if it were, then Casteel would not have been shown the door. The defense has been awful, save for a handful of good outings over the past 4 years.

On to more important matters... I think Yates would be a terrific hire and the prospect of him coming here gives me hope. Him and the guy from UW were the 2 names I was most excited about.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Dont know if this Yates offer goes down tommorrow, on Thur I was told to look for something in a week and a half :roll:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He's out recruiting for BSU.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well he's still employed by Boise so he's doing his job. RR visited Khalil Tate a night before he flew to South Carolina so I don't take that as a sign of anything.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Ya, if he hasn't signed anything he keeps doing doing job. I wouldn't expect anything less.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Supposedly today's the day (unconfirmed) for an announcement; it will be very interesting to see which way Rich goes with this whenever the announcement does occur.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

looking like tomorrow ill be the day for the announcement of the new DC and staff
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

this is the first day they could announce, but it doesn't mean they will.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

"Sources close to the situation inform me San Jose State assistant Donte' Williams is nearly a done deal to sign with Arizona.

He won't be DC but will be a position coach with extra duties. (Passing game coordinator)

If you're not familiar with him he's an absolute MONSTER recruiter.

This is a VERY big hire for Richard Rod."

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:"Sources close to the situation inform me San Jose State assistant Donte' Williams is nearly a done deal to sign with Arizona.

He won't be DC but will be a position coach with extra duties. (Passing game coordinator)

Let me first say that if it is true, I really hope this hyperbole is justified. But excuse my skepticism, because the terms 'monster recruiter' and 'San Jose State' don't exactly go hand in hand.

It it is true, then he must be the best kept secret in college football, because he was being paid $102K to coach at SJSU and live in the Bay Area.

But I guess we'd have a battle on our hands for the recruiting crown next season between our former film coordinator and the guy we just stole from the Spartans' staff. :roll:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Maybe they mean "energetic" as opposed to Casteel and staff.
Coach Background
Donté Williams joined the San Jose State University football staff in January 2013 as the cornerbacks coach.

Williams comes to the Spartans after two seasons as a graduate assistant at the University of Washington working with cornerbacks and linebackers. He was at University of Nevada as an assistant linebacker coach in 2010.

Williams began his coaching career in 2007 as an assistant coach at Los Angeles Harbor College. He also worked one season each at El Camino College (2008) and Mt. San...

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:"Sources close to the situation inform me San Jose State assistant Donte' Williams is nearly a done deal to sign with Arizona.

Let me first say that if it is true, I really hope this hyperbole is justified. But excuse my skepticism, because the terms 'monster recruiter' and 'San Jose State' don't exactly go hand in hand.

It it is true, then he must be the best kept secret in college football, because he was being paid $102K to coach at SJSU and live in the Bay Area.

But I guess we'd have a battle on our hands for the recruiting crown next season between our former film coordinator and the guy we just stole from the Spartans' staff. :roll:
I actually love this hire. Young African American assistant coach from Cali with Great ties to the JC and High Schools there. Sounds like a winner to me. I am not sure how we could do much better for a safety's coach. Big upgrade over the bum who left us for West Virginia

Update, list of his recruits

http://247sports.com/Coach/Donte-Willia ... meRecruits
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Lev tweeted that SJSU had the second best pass defense in the nation this year.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

This is a HUGE hire. He is a phenomenal recruiter. He pulled Kanya Bell out of Long Beach Poly away from USC and to San Jose State. That ish doesn't happen. Charismatic and a very good coach. Kudos RR. You've done your homework and realize the importance of Recruiting Cali.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Yates coached safeties right? Not sure if this hire supports his coming on board. Would understand him not wanting to deplete his Alma Mater by bringing Asst's from there but...
Do agree that this looks like a solid hire for position coach though. Looks like a real up and comer as coach and recruiter. Yates has strong ties to Cali, so perhaps they've crossed paths?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

As long as Greg Robinson doesn't come with him. Haha
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:This is a HUGE hire. He is a phenomenal recruiter. He pulled Kanya Bell out of Long Beach Poly away from USC and to San Jose State. That ish doesn't happen. Charismatic and a very good coach. Kudos RR. You've done your homework and realize the importance of Recruiting Cali.
To be be fair, Bell wasn't going to USC
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:This is a HUGE hire. He is a phenomenal recruiter. He pulled Kanya Bell out of Long Beach Poly away from USC and to San Jose State. That ish doesn't happen. Charismatic and a very good coach. Kudos RR. You've done your homework and realize the importance of Recruiting Cali.

Tee Martin recruited him hard. It was between USC and SJSU.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:As long as Greg Robinson doesn't come with him. Haha

Looking him up, it seems Robinson had Casteel type numbers while working for RichRod at UM

In 2009, Michigan ranked 82nd of 120 teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision and 9th of 11 teams in the Big Ten Conference in total defense. In 2010, the Wolverines ranked 110th of 120 teams in FBS and 11th of 11 teams in the Big Ten in total defense.

However, Robinson did quite well at UT:

Texas Longhorns defense makes 180-degree turn, now one of the Big 12's best since hiring of Greg Robinson

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college ... g-robinson" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

New position coach:

-JB
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Greg Robinson is right behind him. Haha
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

That's nice. But when you are "between" SJSU and USC, there is one reason you pick SJSU and it isn't a recruiter

Chief, I thought you were some recruiting guru. Between this and the McClure stuff, my faith is wavering
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

That's nice. But when you are "between" SJSU and USC, there is one reason you pick SJSU and it isn't a recruiter

Chief, I thought you were some recruiting guru. Between this and the McClure stuff, my faith is wavering
And he still ended up at Mt Sac for grades. Lol
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

Hahaha. Wait. You're serious?
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Harvey Specter wrote:

I just hope these guys can coach as well as recruit :lol:
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

He was also arrested and was kicked out

And he still ended up at Mt Sac for grades. Lol
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I quit following this clown on Twitter awhile back:

(Scheer said it was a recruit's father)

Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

Hahaha. Wait. You're serious?
I believe his final 5 was USC, Oklahoma, Nebraska, SJSU and WAZZU. He had just visited USC and Oklahoma and the pundits all said SJSU or USC with Wazzu third. He committed to SJSU and then grades were the issue so he never made it on campus and went to Mt SAC. Williams still got him to commit so I think that's pretty good along with all of his other commits. He's a bad ass recruiter.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:I quit following this clown on Twitter awhile back:

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hmmm, don't even think I would confuse them. Eyes aren't even close. Yates has sleepy eyes.

Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

So RR gonna go out and hire the best young recruiters he can find at lower levels??
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well let's see...

They're both Black . . . annnnnnndddddd . . .

Good enough! Let the tweet fly!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Dkenner wrote:So RR gonna go out and hire the best young recruiters he can find at lower levels??

Why not? I have zero problems with that unless Tosh Lupoi walked into town with the NCAA along with him. :lol:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

That was Warren G sitting next to RR.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (48.08 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Okay, I'll retract my earlier statement. Sound like this guy is a terrific hire. I still find it hard to believe a 'monster' recruiter was buried up at SJSU, but everybody has to start somewhere.

Hopefully Yates is coming and was on board with this decision.

Sounds very positive...
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Dkenner wrote:So RR gonna go out and hire the best young recruiters he can find at lower levels??
It's a young mans game and these kids seem to relate better to a younger coach.

Would love to get Donte Williams on board. does anyone know if he was part of Mike MacIntyre's staff when he was at SJSU? Might be where he learned to recruit.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

whatisee wrote:

Would love to get Donte Williams on board. does anyone know if he was part of Mike MacIntyre's staff when he was at SJSU? Might be where he learned to recruit.
No he wasn't.

Born: September 1, 1982 in Los Angeles, Calif
2015 San Jose State University defensive backs coach
2014 San José State University defensive backs coach
2013 San José State University cornerbacks coach
2011-12 University of Washington graduate assistant
2010 University of Nevada assistant linebackers coach
2009 Mount San Antonio College secondary coach
2008 El Camino College secondary coach
2007 Los Angeles Harbor College secondary coach
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

chiefzona wrote:
whatisee wrote:

No he wasn't.

Born: September 1, 1982 in Los Angeles, Calif
2015 San Jose State University defensive backs coach
2014 San José State University defensive backs coach
2013 San José State University cornerbacks coach
2011-12 University of Washington graduate assistant
2010 University of Nevada assistant linebackers coach
2009 Mount San Antonio College secondary coach
2008 El Camino College secondary coach
2007 Los Angeles Harbor College secondary coach
So he came in the year after Mike left, and looks like he was part of Sark's staff at UW
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I asked my SoCal contact who knows high school football in SoCal better then even Chief and he said he LOVED the hire. Said he was one of the top up and coming coaches on the west coast and a well known recruiter. Said it was the exact type of hire a guy like rich Rod needs to make to continue to grow the Cali pipeline . He said he got the lower ranked guys from all the big Cali high schools to commit to SJSU and now at Arizona will have a lot more to sell.

I always temper expectations when it comes to Arizona football but I am actually pretty optimistic at what Rich Rod is doing

Let's see who we hire at DC
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS