2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catinfl

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by catinfl »

Williams and Yates are gonna hit SoCal hard next year and I expect us to compete with UCLA/USC for recruits, but in no way do I think we are gonna go into Socal and have our pick of the bunch
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catinfl wrote:Williams and Yates are gonna hit SoCal hard next year and I expect us to compete with UCLA/USC for recruits, but in no way do I think we are gonna go into Socal and have our pick of the bunch
Yeah that will never happen, but I absolutely think we'll be able to steal the occasional recruit or two from them.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Sid wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
UALoco wrote:Honeymoon already over for Yates and Williams. Let's pick up those Straight Up Savages. :x

And so it begins........enjoy the ride Bug!
If you are expecting to compete with UCLA recruiting, you are going to find yourself disappointed.
Are you saying we will never compete. Or just in the next month? Because if it's the first, then you're insane.
The first. Will you get a recruit here and there that they may want? Sure. But neither of the AZ schools will compete with the overall recruiting class talent of the LA schools. By most accounts this is a down year for UCLA in recruiting, and they are still top 15. We can only hope the LA schools continue to pair average-at-best coaching to go along with the great talent they bring in annually.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

ASUHATER! wrote:
catinfl wrote:Williams and Yates are gonna hit SoCal hard next year and I expect us to compete with UCLA/USC for recruits, but in no way do I think we are gonna go into Socal and have our pick of the bunch
Yeah that will never happen, but I absolutely think we'll be able to steal the occasional recruit or two from them.
THis.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tate movin' on up.

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Sid wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
UALoco wrote:Honeymoon already over for Yates and Williams. Let's pick up those Straight Up Savages. :x

And so it begins........enjoy the ride Bug!
If you are expecting to compete with UCLA recruiting, you are going to find yourself disappointed.
Are you saying we will never compete. Or just in the next month? Because if it's the first, then you're insane.
How exactly is that insane, other than that never is a long time. I guess a better way to put it is we will very unlikely compete with UCLA in recruiting in the foreseeable future. I do believe this is a very big step to at least help us shorten the gap.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Man I sure hope these LA guys don't play for the Compton Magic 7 on 7 team. If they do we're screwed!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Exactly, but I'd rather have them go in there and see who they can get. One of those "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" things.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

How many more kids can we take?
Last edited by Dkenner on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sid is straight up RC97 trolling. Pay him no mind
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Dkenner wrote:2016 3-star DE Jake Burton flips commitment from Arizona to UCLA http://www.azdesertswarm.com/2016/1/18/ ... ce=twitter" target="_blank …
Hate to lose them in conference, but not surprised he left. I'm sure he was being recruited by one of the guys who was let go.

I'm more excited by all the new offers and excitement there seems to be in recruiting lately.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Strap on a helmet Bug, it's about to get bumpy.

Again, enjoy the ride!

:D
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Don't accept "no" as an answer. "No" means "maybe" when it comes to college football recruiting.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Dkenner wrote:How many more kids can we take?
Anyone know? I'm wondering too.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
I believe we're allowed 25 per class.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

With 13 remaining commits, that leaves 12.

But I was told there would be no math.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Harvey Specter wrote:Wow... We now have 13 commits and 8 de-commits.

Hopefully the new staff members will help us finish strong and add some much needed talent to the roster... Especially on D.
Might as well have gone through a coaching change if the class is going to bleed that much. :|
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Donte needs to open up a Straight Up Savages hotline for new recruits.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

With 13 remaining commits, that leaves 12.

But I was told there would be no math.
Maybe less than 12 with the incoming greyshirts. Do they count against the total for this year, or last year?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:

Hopefully the new staff members will help us finish strong and add some much needed talent to the roster... Especially on D.
Might as well have gone through a coaching change if the class is going to bleed that much. :|

8 de-commits? Trying to remember who they are.

Modster
Watson
Burton
Riley

And who else?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Shea Patterson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Kapri Doucet
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:Shea Patterson
Crazy how RR offered him his freshman year and he blew up to be this big of a prospect. If only we could have kept his brother on the staff.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Tyliek Raynor
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Sounding like Modster will visit ucla this weekend

Blessed.

http://www.theonion.com/article/ncaa-in ... etes-52198" target="_blank

INDIANAPOLIS—Amid a new scandal that many are already calling the most damaging in the history of collegiate sports, the NCAA announced Tuesday that it has launched an investigation into God, Divine Creator of Heaven and Earth, for allegedly giving gifts to student-athletes.

Reports indicated that over the past several decades, the Almighty has provided hundreds of players from high-profile Division I football and basketball programs with abundant natural speed, strength, and agility, and both the universities and the players themselves are now said to be facing heavy sanctions and punishments.

“We take these allegations incredibly seriously and are doing everything in our power to determine the precise nature of God’s relationship with these college athletes,” said NCAA president Mark Emmert. “There is mounting evidence that the Lord—in blatant violation of NCAA rules and regulations—bestowed upon these players special and innate athletic abilities that other students never received.”

Harbaugh out in Cali too.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

8 de-commits? Trying to remember who they are.

Modster
Watson
Burton
Riley

And who else?
Patterson is not included in the 8... I never thought he'd actually end up here anyway.

Trevor Speights, RB, Memorial HS, McAllen, TX. Video.
Josh Allen, DE, Long Beach City College, CA. Video.
Jabari Watson, DT, Summit HS, Fontana, CA. Video.
Devon Modster, QB, Tesoro HS, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA. Video
Kapri Doucet, LB, Lackawanna College, Scranton, PA. Video
Tyliek Raynor, RB, Imhotep Charter, Philadelphia, PA. Video
Sean Riley, RB, Nathaniel Narbonne HS, Harbor City, CA. Video.
Jack Burton, DL, Granite Hills HS, El Cajon, CA. Video.

A couple of the defensive players may end up here; while we need more immediate help on that side of the ball - the recent defections are understandable given the coaching change. Besides, we should have a chance of getting in on new prospects due to existing connections of new staff members.

I am truthfully a bit more concerned about the offensive losses. Modster has been well covered... But losing 3 RB's? To say they were 'no big loss because little guys are a dime a dozen' - why did the staff offer them early? More importantly, who are we getting in their place this late in the game?

We have 2-3 prospects on O that appear to have some really nice potential... But we only have 6 commits this late in the game. That's concerning.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Don't like to lose anyone but the loss of Speights, Doucet, Burton and Watson in that order bother me the most.

I would include Allen in that group as well but we might get him back soon. If we lose Burmeister I will really be upset but he is in 17
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

catinfl wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Shea Patterson
Crazy how RR offered him his freshman year and he blew up to be this big of a prospect. If only we could have kept his brother on the staff.
Dude was a huuuuuge douche. Was a GA and thought himself as a full time coach. I wish success for Shea but man I did not like Sean at all.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Arizona was at Corona Centennial today. They are gunning for Chacho and spoke with him. It went well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

London Iakopo set up a visit to Missouri.

At some point the bleeding will stop, won't it?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:Arizona was at Corona Centennial today. They are gunning for Chacho and spoke with him. It went well.
We already have his teammate (JJ) a kid I can't wait to see hit the field and if we happen to get Ulloa then well......welcome to a whole new world my friends!

Savage Recruiting
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Arizona was at Corona Centennial today. They are gunning for Chacho and spoke with him. It went well.
We already have his teammate (JJ) a kid I can't wait to see hit the field and if we happen to get Ulloa then well......welcome to a whole new world my friends!

Savage Recruiting
I'm most excited to see JJ play out of any recruit we've had in a while to be honest. I think he's going to be special
Sid

Post by Sid »

whatisee wrote:
Sid wrote:

Savage Recruiting
I'm most excited to see JJ play out of any recruit we've had in a while to be honest. I think he's going to be special
Exactly! You watch his tape and it instantly gives you something to believe in. The kid has a motor and uncanny ability to break tackles. JJ will be the next great back for us, can't wait!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Nick Wilson was someone that everyone said was going to be starting his freshman year and not only were they right, he lit up the stat sheet even while missing some time. Think JJ is on that level?

(To me, the one that got away was Cormier, and through no fault of anyone's, it was necessary for his well being. That guy was chaos in any sort of open space.)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Hard to say on JJ because of that insane system they play in. They are different types of RB, Wilson and JJ too
Sid

Post by Sid »

azpenguin wrote:Nick Wilson was someone that everyone said was going to be starting his freshman year and not only were they right, he lit up the stat sheet even while missing some time. Think JJ is on that level?

(To me, the one that got away was Cormier, and through no fault of anyone's, it was necessary for his well being. That guy was chaos in any sort of open space.)
He made Boscoe look silly in the CIF State Championship game and that (Boscoe) is one Hell of a team. No way he doesn't see the field next season, he's that good! Rich Rod has plenty of options to utilize JJ....should be exciting!
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azpenguin wrote:Nick Wilson was someone that everyone said was going to be starting his freshman year and not only were they right, he lit up the stat sheet even while missing some time. Think JJ is on that level?

I think JJ is on that level regardless of that system he plays in. He's mostly a cutback runner who runs with power in a small package. He's different than any back we currently have. I think he'll fit in well right behind Nick. Unless Orlando shows up ready to play next year. Then you may see JJ in the slot?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Sid wrote:

He made Boscoe look silly in the CIF State Championship game and that (Boscoe) is one Hell of a team. No way he doesn't see the field next season, he's that good! Rich Rod has plenty of options to utilize JJ....should be exciting!
I never saw him live, just saw some of what people were Tweeting about him during the season. Sounds like he'd be our version of De'Anthony Thomas.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

whatisee wrote:

I think JJ is on that level regardless of that system he plays in. He's mostly a cutback runner who runs with power in a small package. He's different than any back we currently have. I think he'll fit in well right behind Nick. Unless Orlando shows up ready to play next year. Then you may see JJ in the slot?
I think Orlando will be ready to play this year. Young guy learning the system last year but he was punishing defenders when he did get the ball. Also remember that he missed some time because he injured hand ligaments in pregame warmups against USC (yet another injury... team was jinxed as hell last year.)
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, how does this work? Does Dudek set up the visits and coach's schedule and then send the coaches out? Or do the coaches make the decisions and let Matty coordinate them with the kids and schools?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Byron Murphy to UW...

I am just glad he did not end up at ASU!
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

these last few weeks should be pretty crazy.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

catinfl wrote:these last few weeks should be pretty crazy.
I know there's typically a flurry of recruiting activity around now, but there's been a lot of decommits and a lot of spots opening up. Does it feel like things are looking up for this class, or is it going to be just a scramble to the finish line for warm bodies?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azpenguin wrote:
catinfl wrote:these last few weeks should be pretty crazy.
I know there's typically a flurry of recruiting activity around now, but there's been a lot of decommits and a lot of spots opening up. Does it feel like things are looking up for this class, or is it going to be just a scramble to the finish line for warm bodies?
your guess is as good as mine
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oregon has not offered Chacho and it looks like he may be AZ's to lose. With he and Mariscal and DFF, that is a pretty good safety threesome
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Competition for defensive spots in fall camp oughta be something else this year, especially if they can land a few big fish.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote:

Who committed to us?