2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Newportcat wrote: Here is a pathetic fact, we have not brought in a high school DE since our 2013 class. We have none committed to this class either and I think are only targeting one low level guy at this point. We have brought in 3 JC DE's since then, two of which never played a down for us and one of which got suspended half way through the season and will probably never play for us again.
Arizona has had immense problems recruiting DEs since DReed, BReed, and Elmore graduated. Since those guys Melvin is about the only DE that lived up to anything. It's been down right neglectful by both Stoops staff and RRod's staff. Before the three JuCos whiffs, Kyle Kelly amounted to nothing, a fellow signee went and played baseball instead, and so on. There's been frustratingly zero effort from the staff to build depth at that position.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Newportcat wrote: Here is a pathetic fact, we have not brought in a high school DE since our 2013 class. We have none committed to this class either and I think are only targeting one low level guy at this point. We have brought in 3 JC DE's since then, two of which never played a down for us and one of which got suspended half way through the season and will probably never play for us again.
Arizona has had immense problems recruiting DEs since DReed, BReed, and Elmore graduated. Since those guys Melvin is about the only DE that lived up to anything. It's been down right neglectful by both Stoops staff and RRod's staff. Before the three JuCos whiffs, Kyle Kelly amounted to nothing, a fellow signee went and played baseball instead, and so on. There's been frustratingly zero effort from the staff to build depth at that position.
Kyle Kelley has 3-1/2 sacks for SDSU in their bowl game. Maybe we gave up on him too soon?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Newportcat wrote:Lets hope he doesn't de-commit before signing day

Good article on Coach Donte

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... 472aa.html
It must really really suck to be you. Christ I feel lucky.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:Clifford Chattman just committed to the "university of Florida state".
Not sure he could get past the stringent UA academic standards with that post.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I think zero percent chance he comes to Arizona
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Peace out
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Absolutely zero loyalty in this game. If he doesn't commit to us after all the time we've invested then that says it all.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

threenumberones wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Lets hope he doesn't de-commit before signing day

Good article on Coach Donte

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... 472aa.html
It must really really suck to be you. Christ I feel lucky.
No kidding. Come on Newport, the sun is shining and we have some new hope on defense and on the recruiting scene, especially in the LA area
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UALoco wrote:I think zero percent chance he comes to Arizona

UA's football facilities are like a high school's compared to LSU's.

What's with the money bags icon? Don't get what that means, or the 100.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Kyle Kelley has 3-1/2 sacks for SDSU in their bowl game. Maybe we gave up on him too soon?
He gave up on Arizona if I remember correctly. Was bummed we lost him. He is even worse in terms of we got him to campus then we couldn't keep him
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:

Our football facilities are amazing compared to a lot of schools. We just spent like $90 million on them. They're better than a lot of teams in our own conference.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Our football facilities are amazing compared to a lot of schools. We just spent like $90 million on them. They're better than a lot of teams in our own conference.
Our facilities are average for the PAC 12 and major conferences now. Do some research before you post Hater as it makes you look stupid

We have no indoor practice facility, small players lounge, old crappy stadium, and we practice in an old baseball stadium. Don't get me wrong Lowell Stevens is a big improvement but that's because our facilities before were the worst in All the major conferences.

WSU, Washington, Oregon, CAL, USC, Colorado, Utah, Stanford and ASU all have equal to or better facilities then us. UCLA is building a similar facility now and Oregon states are older since they were re done in the Mid 2000's.

Compared to LSU we do have high school facilities and nowhere near the fan support.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Our facilities are average for the PAC 12 and major conferences now. Do some research before you post Hater as it makes you look stupid

We have no indoor practice facility, small players lounge, old crappy stadium, and we practice in an old baseball stadium. Don't get me wrong Lowell Stevens is a big improvement but that's because our facilities before were the worst in All the major conferences.

WSU, Washington, Oregon, CAL, USC, Colorado, Utah, Stanford and ASU all have equal to or better facilities then us. UCLA is building a similar facility now and Oregon states are older since they were re done in the Mid 2000's.

Compared to LSU we do have high school facilities and nowhere near the fan support.
Fine....There are also schools that we have equal to or better facilities than that out recruit us on a regular basis.

I am really tired of the excuses for why we cannot recruit better. Recruiters make a huge difference... Hopefully we just added a couple of good ones, with one more to come.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This is what the UA is up against, just one at random, the Arkansas practice facility.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

It's not always about facilities. JJ Allen is going to get buried on a LSU roster but start and be the centerpiece on the Arizona roster. You can't make it to the NFL when you get limited playing time. Smart recruits put smart people around them.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:Absolutely zero loyalty in this game. If he doesn't commit to us after all the time we've invested then that says it all.
Please... if one of our coaches was offered an equivalent position at LSU they'd probably be gone, too.

He'd have a much better shot of contributing here. His call as to what he wants, and how confident he is in his abilities.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I agree about JJ but if I was in his shoes I could also say "who is my position coach going to be at Arizona". You spend most of your time with your position coach and he has no idea who that is right now. If I was UCLA or LSU I would be saying that to him when he asks about playing time.

Other challenge is selling playing time only goes so far as you need to continually be able to build depth with quality players

Speaking facilities, check out clemsons new ones....just stupid

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on- ... -simulator
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:I agree about JJ but if I was in his shoes I could also say "who is my position coach going to be at Arizona". You spend most of your time with your position coach and he has no idea who that is right now. If I was UCLA or LSU I would be saying that to him when he asks about playing time.

Other challenge is selling playing time only goes so far as you need to continually be able to build depth with quality players

Speaking facilities, check out clemsons new ones....just stupid

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on- ... -simulator
If only we had a golf simulator....
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Fine....There are also schools that we have equal to or better facilities than that out recruit us on a regular basis.

I am really tired of the excuses for why we cannot recruit better. Recruiters make a huge difference... Hopefully we just added a couple of good ones, with one more to come.
Harvey

Specifically what programs are you talking about?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Folks the truth of the matter is we were going to be bad defensively next year even with Casteel on-board and we're still going to be bad next year with the new guys but for a few different reasons.

There are just too many forces working against us even with the mediocre de-commit's because we need numbers at this point. Yes we need the horses to win but we need numbers to field a team.

Our numbers are just not going to be there next year and they won't be for a couple of years.

In essences this is now much like RR first and to some degree second year. Maybe with a little better talent overall but we are too far down in the depth department. Everyone needs to put on their big boy pants right now and understand this is the hand we have been dealt to improve in the future.

The new guys are completely at a disadvantage by being hired so late in the recruiting cycle so its going to be another brutal defensive gut-check.

Basically we're just going to have to support the staff and understand this was done for the future.

It will be painful but this will hopefully pass as the new guys settle in. At this late in the recruiting cycle we could hire god himself and it wouldn't change our issues. We still won't have the horses or the numbers.

So buckle up and continue to say your views and opinions because that's what we do around here, but be reasonable and realistic with your expectations from the defensive crew for next year because most of this is not of their making.

Anyway that's how I view next season, with hope but clear and realistic expectations.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

UAEebs86 wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Worse than giving up on him too soon, the coaches flat out didn't develop a player at a position of need who would've developed as well as predicted. :evil:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Folks the truth of the matter is we were going to be bad defensively next year even with Casteel on-board and we're still going to be bad next year with the new guys but for a few different reasons.

There are just too many forces working against us even with the mediocre de-commit's because we need numbers at this point. Yes we need the horses to win but we need numbers to field a team.

Our numbers are just not going to be there next year and they won't be for a couple of years.

In essences this is now much like RR first and to some degree second year. Maybe with a little better talent overall but we are too far down in the depth department. Everyone needs to put on their big boy pants right now and understand this is the hand we have been dealt to improve in the future.

The new guys are completely at a disadvantage by being hired so late in the recruiting cycle so its going to be another brutal defensive gut-check.

Basically we're just going to have to support the staff and understand this was done for the future.

It will be painful but this will hopefully pass as the new guys settle in. At this late in the recruiting cycle we could hire god himself and it wouldn't change our issues. We still won't have the horses or the numbers.

So buckle up and continue to say your views and opinions because that's what we do around here, but be reasonable and realistic with your expectations from the defensive crew for next year because most of this is not of their making.

Anyway that's how I view next season, with hope but clear and realistic expectations.
Don't under-estimate God. I am not saying He would be able to work miracles like Nick Saban or anything... but I think we'd see some pretty immediate progress.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Personally I think this class is going to wind up better than most people think at this point. More than that I think a lot of the talent we have had has been under coached and under developed. Two hot shot linebackers that didn't make the depth chart this past year and we're supposed to believe they're both duds? I'm not buying it. Its certainly not going to be desert swarm by any means but I'm not hitting the panic button. We're going to be better.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like this kid from El Paso. Tall and appears to be a strong hitter.

Looks like we are the favorites for Chacho
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azcat49 wrote:I like this kid from El Paso. Tall and appears to be a strong hitter.

Finally something positive. I like him too. I was looking at his stats and liked what I saw. Chacho would be a great get. We're gonna get some other great ones as well.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Tough sledding with this class so far, but RichRod made the coaching moves to address recruiting, and it's not going to be fixed overnight. These guys are going to need a full recruiting cycle to pin down a class. Until then, it's gonna be interesting to see what they get to fill the available spots and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the spots weren't filled until after signing day. In the mean time, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the current talent play up to a higher level. People wanted staff changes and they got them, but don't expect things to be seamless.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azpenguin wrote:Tough sledding with this class so far, but RichRod made the coaching moves to address recruiting, and it's not going to be fixed overnight. These guys are going to need a full recruiting cycle to pin down a class. Until then, it's gonna be interesting to see what they get to fill the available spots and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the spots weren't filled until after signing day. In the mean time, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the current talent play up to a higher level. People wanted staff changes and they got them, but don't expect things to be seamless.
It's too little too late at this point. We're going on two straight subpar signing classes. That can capsize a program when it comes to talent and depth issues.

For all this talk about losing a (mediocre) DC costing us on the recruiting trail, explain a situation like Michigan where they lose their DC to Maryland but no commits, or Alabama losing their DC to Georgia, but no commits, or UCLA and ASU replacing their OCs without costing themselves commits! Time to own up to more severe reason guys. Other than the '14 signing class, recruiting has been dismal going back about 8 years.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm ok taking 1 step back in recruiting this year in order to take 2 steps forward next year.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
azpenguin wrote:Tough sledding with this class so far, but RichRod made the coaching moves to address recruiting, and it's not going to be fixed overnight. These guys are going to need a full recruiting cycle to pin down a class. Until then, it's gonna be interesting to see what they get to fill the available spots and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the spots weren't filled until after signing day. In the mean time, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the current talent play up to a higher level. People wanted staff changes and they got them, but don't expect things to be seamless.
It's too little too late at this point. We're going on two straight subpar signing classes. That can capsize a program when it comes to talent and depth issues.

For all this talk about losing a (mediocre) DC costing us on the recruiting trail, explain a situation like Michigan where they lose their DC to Maryland but no commits, or Alabama losing their DC to Georgia, but no commits, or UCLA and ASU replacing their OCs without costing themselves commits! Time to own up to more severe reason guys. Other than the '14 signing class, recruiting has been dismal going back about 8 years.
Michigan, Alabama, and UCLA are not the best schools for comparison purposes. Those schools recruit themselves. Plus, you have Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh at the helm of two of those three.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Arizona offered Victor Viramontes.

Bet he can throw it over those mountains...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pretty nice offer list.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azpenguin wrote:Arizona offered Victor Viramontes.

Plays QB and LB
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Did we offer him at QB? Seems like a better fit at LB or S especially given our current a future depth.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Yeah, looks like a 32 year old guy reliving his high school days.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Intriguing kid with no set position
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Vicious Vic is my boy. Good QB who can transition to LB if needed. Highly respected among recruits and coaches. Harbaugh loved him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Had the exact same thought.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I want this kid based on that awesome photo alone.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Vic does appear to be a man child for sure. I love his expression, its like "yea bring it, I dare ya". I like that nick vicious vic.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Linebacker all the way.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azcat49 wrote:I like this kid from El Paso. Tall and appears to be a strong hitter.

Yep, just watched his video. Kid likes to bring the wood. Certainly looks like he's got a very high upside and hoping he's a bit under the radar.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Article on 3 star safety from El Paso who committed this weekend.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... commitment" target="_blank
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

We offered pa'o I think his name with a blue shirt! So help me understand this he pays only first semester of out of pocket then he becomes full scholarship in his second semester and counts towards the 2017 class. This kid is an animal and I love his motor and mean streak! This tells me the our staff thinks they are going to fill all the remaining spots but I would sure pa'o and Allen and I know Watson is not happening But I loved his motor.
Last edited by 3goggles on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
2 star correct but seems like a great athlete we will see how he develops!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

2 Star. Lots of mid-major offers or Lower tier P5.

Like before. So late in recruiting cycle.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Guy definitely needs a red-shirt year...listed at 185 LBS....ummmm NO
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

carcassdragger wrote:

Yep, just watched his video. Kid likes to bring the wood. Certainly looks like he's got a very high upside and hoping he's a bit under the radar.
He was a Michigan verbal. Not sure how under the radar he really is
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

VV is not under the radar at all. Has good offers as a QB only.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Someone buy Wallace a couple of Big Macs.