2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by azgreg »

gronk4heisman wrote:
3goggles wrote:Looks like cooper decommited. Says it's open with ASU, AZ and The Orange
A dime a dozen player. Anyone who is a friend of ASU is not a friend of mine, have fun at Tempe Normal. Burton, Modster, Allen, and Iakopo are still the only guys I am sad to see go.
Greg Byrne says hi.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichRod going to pull his scholie offer? Isn't that his standard MO after someone commits and still takes official visits?

Don't know anything about him, except he is taller than the 5'9" receivers coming in.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So the DL coach at ASSU Is leaving for mizzu lets snatch up all there DL commits
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

3goggles wrote:So the DL coach at ASSU Is leaving for mizzu lets snatch up all there DL commits
There is basically only one in this class, but Shipp wasnt much of a recruiter so not sure how much an impact he would have there.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Merkin wrote:RichRod going to pull his scholie offer? Isn't that his standard MO after someone commits and still takes official visits?

Don't know anything about him, except he is taller than the 5'9" receivers coming in.
There are certain prospects who are good enough to let them visit. They weren't happy obviously but don't just let asu get him when we need WR prospects and he is our only one in this class.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I'm over cooper move one! You're a sat recruits not a 4 star or 5 star pick a fucking school and move on! Rant over and fear no fork!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Keoni Stallworth? Decommiting from SJSU according to a retweet I saw from Scheer.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Walk-on from Hamilton/Mesa CC:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Keoni Stallworth? Decommiting from SJSU according to a retweet I saw from Scheer.

SDSU bound.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:Walk-on from Hamilton/Mesa CC:

Dude is a thrill seeker and a chance taker. Aggressive is what these coaches are looking for.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

#1 walk on recruiting class in the country two years running!!!!

New Mexico Bowl here we come....again
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:#1 walk on recruiting class in the country two years running!!!!

We could always just stop recruiting altogether, shut down the football program, and put that money towards the dance program. Thoughts?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:
3goggles wrote:Looks like cooper decommited. Says it's open with ASU, AZ and The Orange
A dime a dozen player. Anyone who is a friend of ASU is not a friend of mine, have fun at Tempe Normal. Burton, Modster, Allen, and Iakopo azre still the only guys I am sad to see go.
Considering he (along with 2 others) was Rivals' 3rd highest rated commitment in our class, I hope our coaches have 10 cents in their pocket... because we could use 10 more highly rated 3 star recruits in this class.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:#1 walk on recruiting class in the country two years running!!!!

We could always just stop recruiting altogether, shut down the football program, and put that money towards the dance program. Thoughts?
Glad you are liking the way the class is trending... hopefully the 4 most recent commits are all #2starScoobs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Glad you are liking the way the class is trending... hopefully the 4 most recent commits are all #2starScoobs.
I'll have to read through my post to see where I said that.

Hmmm... no, not there. Let me just look through all my posts in this thread.

Huh, weird. Not there either.

Gonna need a little help here Harv. Thanks in advance.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I don't think you get the joke Harvey.

(He's pointing out how you're this site's #1 pessimist. Nothing gets your glass above half empty)
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote: Fuck, I hope so Matt...
I thought you were not going to have any knee jerk reactions about this recruiting class

I GOT CHICAT!!!! I GOT CHICAT!!!!

BOOM!!!!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:

(He's pointing out how you're this site's #1 pessimist. Nothing gets your glass above half empty)
Technically he is pointing out how I am this site's #1 pessimist so you were trying to make Harvey look stupid but that did not really work out so well.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Newportcat wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Technically he is pointing out how I am this site's #1 pessimist so you were trying to make Harvey look stupid but that did not really work out so well.
Don't get so down on yourself buddy, you are FAR from the #1 at this point ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:
I thought you were not going to have any knee jerk reactions about this recruiting class

BOOM!!!!
Uhh, what?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Saw Jalen Cochran a late offer who visited this weekend from Michigan and is 6'4 235lbs DE/LB loved his visit...but was then offered by Michigan State his dream school.

Got to love Arizona football recruiting!

Man I hope we end strong and all these big time guys commit to us on signing day

I would be depressed with another average to below average class
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

who was the 2 instate guys MattyD said #OnToTheNext2???
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

btfd16 wrote:who was the 2 instate guys MattyD said #OnToTheNext2???
long-snapper and a walk on i think
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Dominating that walk on recruiting, straight savages

#richrod2016
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:

You can make the case that I am the #1 pessimist on this forum... but on this site? Nope. I would say I am among the more positive BB posters / Miller supporters on this site. My outlook on each program is generally derived from the trend of consistent results over a period of time. Funny how that works.

I was very down on RR and the off-season flirtations with what appeared to be reciprocal interest for every mid-level P5 program that cast him a wry smile from across the bar. I was very negative on my expectations for his defensive coaching hires - and I was admittedly very wrong; I am quite happy with them and have stated as much.

While I had low expectations for how this class would finish, I am still quite disappointed with how it is currently looking. While the bar is low, it appears that this is trending toward the worst class (on paper) - in a non head-coaching change year - that we have had since the Mackovic Ice Age. I am past the point of embracing hope as a strategy... But you keep on keepin' on.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:

Gentlemen get those dollar bills out and put your hands together as we welcome Wilma to the main stage

Damn sorry probably did not mean the kind of dance program.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Fire RR? Not sure how that got into the convo...
Well, I see a lot of complaining, and finger-pointing, and it seems to be in RR's direction. So when thinking of solutions that was really the only one that came to mind. He's the captain of what many are saying is a sinking ship (even though the class is not finalized yet and none of these kids who many are saying are terrible have played even one down in an Arizona uniform).

So what's the answer? Seems many here are complaining just to complain. Haven't heard too many thoughts on what should be done differently, I'm figuring because those ideas don't exist. I guess if your hot take is that this class is filled with awful players who will drag us to the bottom of the Pac, this is the place to express it. My stance is more of a wait and see approach, but I understand the catharthis of the knee-jerk. Just wondering how far that knee-jerk extends and if firing RR enters the equation.
I think there are a lot of observations/ opinions on the activities with the current class, which is what this thread is for... and given the gains and losses - most of the commentary is not positive.

Fair point on the hand wringing, because it is pointless - but I don't think anybody is calling for any coaching changes. We have nothing to do but observe the action, and comment on it.

I think some of the comments saying 'did you expect a bunch of 4-5 star commits in the first 2 weeks' are unfair. No one expected that, but I do not think we expected to lose a handful of very-to-fairly highly rated prospects only to replace them with some guys that look (on paper) like class-fillers. No doubt the coaching change (which we all virtually agree is positive) has been a near-term setback - but we have not seen staff changes elsewhere have the dramatic headwind to recruiting that ours seem to have had. Especially for staff members that reportedly did not recruit.

Should we wait until the class is announced? Probably, but this would be a pretty empty thread. We comment on every twist and turn, because that is what we do.

How has the recruiting activity since the changes were made compare to your expectations on the heels of them?
Since you never responded when I asked for your views of the current recruiting trajectory, I assume your refusal to acknowledge my outlandish 'negativity' above because you are pleased with the progress we are making.

My bad.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Fire RR? Not sure how that got into the convo...
Well, I see a lot of complaining, and finger-pointing, and it seems to be in RR's direction. So when thinking of solutions that was really the only one that came to mind. He's the captain of what many are saying is a sinking ship (even though the class is not finalized yet and none of these kids who many are saying are terrible have played even one down in an Arizona uniform).

So what's the answer? Seems many here are complaining just to complain. Haven't heard too many thoughts on what should be done differently, I'm figuring because those ideas don't exist. I guess if your hot take is that this class is filled with awful players who will drag us to the bottom of the Pac, this is the place to express it. My stance is more of a wait and see approach, but I understand the catharthis of the knee-jerk. Just wondering how far that knee-jerk extends and if firing RR enters the equation.
I think there are a lot of observations/ opinions on the activities with the current class, which is what this thread is for... and given the gains and losses - most of the commentary is not positive.

Fair point on the hand wringing, because it is pointless - but I don't think anybody is calling for any coaching changes. We have nothing to do but observe the action, and comment on it.

I think some of the comments saying 'did you expect a bunch of 4-5 star commits in the first 2 weeks' are unfair. No one expected that, but I do not think we expected to lose a handful of very-to-fairly highly rated prospects only to replace them with some guys that look (on paper) like class-fillers. No doubt the coaching change (which we all virtually agree is positive) has been a near-term setback - but we have not seen staff changes elsewhere have the dramatic headwind to recruiting that ours seem to have had. Especially for staff members that reportedly did not recruit.

Should we wait until the class is announced? Probably, but this would be a pretty empty thread. We comment on every twist and turn, because that is what we do.

How has the recruiting activity since the changes were made compare to your expectations on the heels of them?
Since you never responded when I asked for your views of the current recruiting trajectory, I assume your refusal to acknowledge my outlandish 'negativity' above because you are pleased with the progress we are making.

My bad.
Or maybe I just missed your post while wading through a virtual pile of Newportcat kvetch.

You make some valid points on how certain people use things like message boards, but I also think it's fair to point out whining that is for the most part useless beyond the writer needing a public outlet for his frustrations. I don't see anyone talking about recruits still on the board or guys they'd like to see flipped. Instead it's a lot of "the team sucks, the coaches suck, and these kids suck" (the latter of which really pisses me off - all these kids worked their asses off for this opportunity while risking their health, and will be donning the uniform of the school I love).

As for my view of recruiting, all I have to go on is what those who follow high school football say. In that respect, yes, so far underwhelming. In general though I feel like recruiting classes don't reveal their true worth for 2-3 years. If we only pulled three-stars and above but they all got injured, transferred, or plain didn't work out, all the chest pounding we did when they were signed would mean exactly bupkis.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

What the f@ck does kvetch mean

I am actually assuming it is Yiddish for looks, brains, and a great sense of humor

So thank you

One question I have for everyone on this board is how many rose bowls has Arizona Football made recruiting mostly 2-3 star players? Don't think too hard

Oh and I actually brought up a player Jalen Cochran who I would love for us to get earlier but no one wanted to talk about him
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

BOOM!!!!
Uhh, what?
Useless whining
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

who is our DL coach? any good?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:What the f@ck does kvetch mean

I am actually assuming it is Yiddish for looks, brains, and a great sense of humor

So thank you
Google is your friend. As is Prozac.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So when are the following guys announcing?
Chacho
Vicious Vic
Bundage
Burton
Lamar Jackson
Burns
Cochran

Am I forgetting anyone not named cooper.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:So when are the following guys announcing?
Chacho
Vicious Vic
Bundage
Burton
Lamar Jackson
Burns
Cochran

I'm hearing that Josh Allen is announcing tomorrow night and Bundage is announcing on signing day.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

3goggles wrote:So when are the following guys announcing?
Chacho
Vicious Vic
Bundage
Burton
Lamar Jackson
Burns
Cochran

Chacho - tomorrow. last 9 predictions say AZ
Vicious Vic - may have decided. Signing day announcement AZ, UM, Utes, UM
Bundage - Tomorrow, most predicting Ark or OKSCowboys
Burton - tonite - most saying UCLA
Lamar Jackson - this morning. Video release by Bleacher. ASU, Nebraska and Arizona
Burns - tomorrow. AZ or CO
Cochran - Likely tommorrow. down to AZ, ISU, Miami, MichSt
Josh Allen - this evening 5pm
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Hope the Barton commitment doesn't deter Himphill. Very Nice to get Barton but only have him for one year. Utah might sneak in and get Kaelin. 247 still showing 50% shot to AZ. Not sure of announcement timing.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Lamar Jackson to Nebraska. Ugh!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2613 ... -nightmare" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think we get Chacho, Allen, Burns and we keep Cooper. Hoping we get Sao and Hemphill but those are 50/50 shots
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I think Arizona gets someone. I'm 100% sure it's a man man baby.....ya!
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

azcat49 wrote:I think we get Chacho, Allen, Burns and we keep Cooper. Hoping we get Sao and Hemphill but those are 50/50 shots
Hope you're right! Victor announcing with Chacho so maybe they're a package deal? Think Victor might prefer Cal due to the offer being as QB but who knows.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ramcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I think we get Chacho, Allen, Burns and we keep Cooper. Hoping we get Sao and Hemphill but those are 50/50 shots
Hope you're right! Victor announcing with Chacho so maybe they're a package deal? Think Victor might prefer Cal due to the offer being as QB but who knows.
If they are a package deal and Vic wants to play QB, that could be a bad sign.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Think I read that he is being recruited to AZ as linebacker. Not sure how strongly his desire is to be a QB but if that is what he wants, then he likely is not coming to AZ.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Arizona didn't make Bundage's top 5.
-JB
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Where did you see that about Bundage? Article today says he told the Oklahoman that AZ was in the mix, along with ASU. Arkansas was out. Wish I could provide link but battling this phone. First article that came upon search of his name.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

NewsOk by Jacob Unruh.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Burton to UCLA per 1290.
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ramcat wrote:Where did you see that about Bundage? Article today says he told the Oklahoman that AZ was in the mix, along with ASU. Arkansas was out. Wish I could provide link but battling this phone. First article that came upon search of his name.
-JB
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

UAEebs86 wrote:Burton to UCLA per 1290.
Don't think Burton announces until 10pm tonight on ESPN network coverage
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ramcat wrote:Where did you see that about Bundage? Article today says he told the Oklahoman that AZ was in the mix, along with ASU. Arkansas was out. Wish I could provide link but battling this phone. First article that came upon search of his name.
Huh! The article I posted from today quotes him saying Cats are possible.