New student fee to redo Arizona stadium

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azthrillhouse

Re: New student fee to redo Arizona stadium

Post by azthrillhouse »

8 million/year is a hell of a lot for an advertising fee.

I get the arguments of "everybody else does it, we have to compete" and "there's other bullshit fees that students have to pay"......and those are pretty weak arguments IMHO.

I have nothing to lose from this (my kids are 10 years away from college) and everything to gain (better amenities and increased competition) and I still don't like it.

I love college sports dearly but it is not the reason the university exists. There will be thousands of students who neither care about sports nor have extra money burning a hole in their pocket that are going to suffer just so I don't have to wait in as long of a line to take a piss - that's just not right.

ABOR should prohibit all the state schools from doing this so that there is at least a fair playing field between us and the Scum, this is also something that could be done at a conference level.

Also p.s. regarding that video - yes, the old gray lady desperately needs some upgrades to amenities, but keep in mind that every other stadium in the conference other than Stanford's has the same type of "dirty secrets", they are all old beasts w/ improvements slapped on top of the existing infrastructure. I haven't been to Wazzu nor have I seen UW or Cal post-renovation, but UofA's in-stadium amenities, while shitty, are not drastically worse than the rest of the conference (other than Stanford) in my opinion.

Love the focus put on football and upgrading the stadium, but we have to find a more creative (and fair) way to fund it.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

baconus66 wrote:
UALoco wrote:These are all the same kids that spend $7 for coffee at starbucks. My dorm didn't have air conditioning when I first went there. Progress takes money.
Ya unfortunately this fee also affect the starving student working 20+ hours a week to pay rent and still racking up thousands in debt to pay tuition (aka me). Not everyone here has their parents credit card
Hope you are studying something that pays in the end. If so, it will be the best debt you'll ever rack up. Debt isn't a bad word, student debt is investing in yourself, make sure that you have the ROI though.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:
baconus66 wrote:
UALoco wrote:These are all the same kids that spend $7 for coffee at starbucks. My dorm didn't have air conditioning when I first went there. Progress takes money.
Ya unfortunately this fee also affect the starving student working 20+ hours a week to pay rent and still racking up thousands in debt to pay tuition (aka me). Not everyone here has their parents credit card
Hope you are studying something that pays in the end. If so, it will be the best debt you'll ever rack up. Debt isn't a bad word, student debt is investing in yourself, make sure that you have the ROI though.
Student debt shouldn't exist, period. You shouldn't have to be forced to take loans to go get an education in something you don't want an education in just so you can pay off those loans that got you the education you didn't want.

Time for the US to join the civilized world already...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

UALoco wrote:
baconus66 wrote:
Except for the 40% of UA students who do not graduate. (I remember looking at UA in high school and that number was in the 50s) For them it is the very bad debt. That's always bothered me about ABOR setting minimum requirements so low that anyone with a pulse can get in. Some people in my dorm had no business being in college, but the University got $30-$40k from them before they figured it out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AG talks about Byrne wanting to get an indoor practice facility: http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3112 ... greg-byrne" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

By the way a MASSIVE F&CK YOU to the haters on this board and http://www.uasports.net" target="_blank who said an Indoor facility was not needed, Rich Rod didnt want one, it wouldnt help in recruiting, etc. I have been advocating this for years as a means to overcome one of the biggest objections football recruits have when they look at Arizona in terms of its really hot for about 5 months out of the year, the vast majority of those months when football players are practicing hard.

This has been badly needed and am FIRED UP plans are starting to go in motion. This is way more important then fixing Arizona Stadium as this will dramatically help recruiting whereas fixing restrooms at Arizona stadium wont.
"An indoor facility is definitely on the radar screen," Byrne told TucsonNewsNow.com on Tuesday.

It is a undertaking that has seemingly gone from wish list to priority list.

"We need one," coach Rich Rodriguez said last month.

"I didn't think we needed one because it never rains here, right? But because of the heat in the summer and with some of the storms you get in August, we need to have one.

"I think the school is open to the idea. Greg has been great to work with, and to talk about it with. It's not going to happen overnight, but I think it's something that has been recognized as something we need."
I will plan on donating to this campaign as well
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

JJ Taylor is in. That is a relief.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That one Arkansas has looks pretty nice. Just don't make it a giant bouncy house like ASSu's.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Weak shit. The pussification of America continues. I wonder if the kids in Iraq and Afghanistan got indoor bubbles.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Puerco wrote:Weak shit. The pussification of America continues. I wonder if the kids in Iraq and Afghanistan got indoor bubbles.
They don't which is obviously why they are no good at sports.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Puerco wrote:Weak shit. The pussification of America continues. I wonder if the kids in Iraq and Afghanistan got indoor bubbles.
Are they OKG's?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Puerco, you have said some douchebag things in your day but WOW this just takes the cake. You are wrong on so many levels its ridiculous.

How many Rose Bowls has Arizona made without an Indoor practice facility????

Whats funny is I went back and searched threads where I brought up the indoor facility and guys like DC and others just lit me up for being an idiot, that it wasn't needed, that Rich Rod really did not want it, etc.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Why is that funny, Newport? I still think it's unnecessary and a waste of money. Doesn't matter that RR and Byrne have changed tack.

And why was my post douchebaggy? I was referred to our own kids in Iraq and Afghanistan -- our soldiers. It's effing ridiculous to think that we cater to primadonna highschool athletes by spending tens of millions of dollars to build a bubble in which they can protect themselves from Arizona's miserable fall weather, while their less fortunate classmates are sitting in tin sheds at 120° with people shooting at them.

I'll say it again -- it's an embarrassing waste of money.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

First off your post was vague that you were referring to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan and to bring that up in this comparison is so ridiculous it is beyond me. That's a whole nother topic but if you want to look at the biggest waste of money in the history of our country just look to Iraq and Afghanistan. Some of my best friends served there and I know how bad it is but also what a giant waste of resources it was. We accomplished nothing, I would say in Iraq just made things a lot worse. By the way if you haven't heard we have significantly reduced our troops in both countries.

The facility would protect many of our student athletes from the oppressive heat in Tucson during the summer and fall and allow them to practice at all hours of the day. It would limit the need to cancel football practice due to rain during monsoon season. We could also use it like Oregon to have a massive beer garden tailgate area before games. I am sure they would allow other university uses too to utilize the facility as in indoor conference facility.

ASU has this bubble as does the Arizona Cardinals. I think almost every major program in Texas and the south and the north and Midwest has one too. Why stop the progress of technology

You know what I am done arguing on the topic as there is nothing to argue as Its getting done. You think whatever you want to think puerco and have fun living in that world. Next you are going to say let's take the roof off McKale and make our team play outdoors as playing indoors is for pussies
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm all for an indoor practice facility and always have been, but I doubt its existence will get us to the Rose Bowl. Just saying...

We need an ex U of A player to throw out a large donation to get that going like the bball team did with Richard Jefferson. You throw a name out there like Gronkowski or Bruschi and other donations will follow.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well RR did say at one point he did not think it was needed. He thought it helped make his players comfortable being uncomfortable.

So this will get us closer to even in the arms race. I doubt it moves the needle much recruiting wise. The good recruiters we just hired will more IMO.

But hey, if it's a football upgrade, I will take it gladly. I mean, it wasn't that long a go we were being bussed over to practice at Salpointe HS and working out of McKale, what a joke that was and yet I really don't see great evidence that we have recruited any better
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Puerco, God now I know where I remember you from, this whole time I couldn't put my finger on it

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm all for an indoor practice facility and always have been, but I doubt its existence will get us to the Rose Bowl. Just saying...

We need an ex U of A player to throw out a large donation to get that going like the bball team did with Richard Jefferson. You throw a name out there like Gronkowski or Bruschi and other donations will follow.
Certainly building an indoor practice facility will not guarantee us a Rose Bowl, look at ASU they have had one for a while and they have not made a Rose Bowl. But I have heard their recruits bring it up when they discuss ASU facilities and more importantly NOT having an indoor facility has never lead us to a Rose Bowl.

My belief has always been do everything you can to put our program in the best possible position to attract the best recruits. That means hiring great coaches who are great recruiters, creating a great stadium environment so we pack the stands, and building the best facilities possible knowing 99% of recruits never wake up dreaming to play for Arizona football like they do for USC, Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, etc. When I look at Arizona Basketball it is obvious why we recruit so well even though the instate talent is even worse then it is for football. We check all those boxes. For Football I think now we check the great coaches box but we still can improve facilities and definitely need to improve the rest of the stadium. We do all that and we still do not recruit well, maybe it is an impossible task at Arizona to recruit top talent and we will always be a marginal program. If that were true, we should all stop following the team. However, I have faith and a belief that is not the case. I truly believe our program can become something special but we need the right pieces in place. As mentioned, for the longest time we almost had no pieces in place except maybe coaching. Practicing at Salpointe was an absolute joke.

Greg "I am an absolute stud of an AD" Byrne wants to change that and face all the obstacles head on which I greatly admire. That's why he pushed through Lowell Stevens, that's why he hired Rich Rod, that's why he is getting behind the Indoor facility and stadium improvements. If we do all of this, all pull the rope in the same direction, there is no reason why we can not be a very good program. Will we ever be a USC or Alabama, etc, very doubtful. But could we finally break through and win the PAC 12 one year, I believe Yes.

Also, I actually talked with Rich Rod about the indoor facility at an event after he got hired and he told me he thought it would be needed but that the focus on facilities once they completed Lowell Stevens would be fixing up McKale Center. Felt like he was going to be the good soldier and not press it much. My impression is that once that was complete last year, Rich Rod has been all over Greg to get it started as (again just my IMO) it would be a big recruiting selling point.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

As a comparison, every SEC team has an indoor practice facility including Kentucky and Vanderbilt. I really hope this fee is used for that instead of making the stadium smaller and putting in seat backs. I have never heard anyone say they don't go to the game because their are no seat backs and I sure as hell could not picture that effecting recruiting and thus the result on the field.

Though the argument that we should get an indoor practice facility because NOT having one has never got us a Rose Bowl is ludicrous. NOT holding spring practices in Glendale Stadium and NOT changing to an all black uniform have never got us a Rose Bowl either, maybe we should change those to.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I'm all for an indoor practice facility and always have been, but I doubt its existence will get us to the Rose Bowl. Just saying...

Certainly building an indoor practice facility will not guarantee us a Rose Bowl, look at ASU they have had one for a while and they have not made a Rose Bowl. But I have heard their recruits bring it up when they discuss ASU facilities and more importantly NOT having an indoor facility has never lead us to a Rose Bowl.

My belief has always been do everything you can to put our program in the best possible position to attract the best recruits. That means hiring great coaches who are great recruiters, creating a great stadium environment so we pack the stands, and building the best facilities possible knowing 99% of recruits never wake up dreaming to play for Arizona football like they do for USC, Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, etc. When I look at Arizona Basketball it is obvious why we recruit so well even though the instate talent is even worse then it is for football. We check all those boxes. For Football I think now we check the great coaches box but we still can improve facilities and definitely need to improve the rest of the stadium. We do all that and we still do not recruit well, maybe it is an impossible task at Arizona to recruit top talent and we will always be a marginal program. If that were true, we should all stop following the team. However, I have faith and a belief that is not the case. I truly believe our program can become something special but we need the right pieces in place. As mentioned, for the longest time we almost had no pieces in place except maybe coaching. Practicing at Salpointe was an absolute joke.

Greg "I am an absolute stud of an AD" Byrne wants to change that and face all the obstacles head on which I greatly admire. That's why he pushed through Lowell Stevens, that's why he hired Rich Rod, that's why he is getting behind the Indoor facility and stadium improvements. If we do all of this, all pull the rope in the same direction, there is no reason why we can not be a very good program. Will we ever be a USC or Alabama, etc, very doubtful. But could we finally break through and win the PAC 12 one year, I believe Yes.

Also, I actually talked with Rich Rod about the indoor facility at an event after he got hired and he told me he thought it would be needed but that the focus on facilities once they completed Lowell Stevens would be fixing up McKale Center. Felt like he was going to be the good soldier and not press it much. My impression is that once that was complete last year, Rich Rod has been all over Greg to get it started as (again just my IMO) it would be a big recruiting selling point.
A couple of bullet points in response to your post.

1. Bring on an indoor facility, I've been on that train with you since day one. They don't even cost that much. Reach out to a Gronkowski or Bruschi or Lance Briggs, slap their name on it, and get errr done.
2. The whole improvement to AZ Stadium that will lead to eliminating 5,000+ seats or so may be the best idea anyone has ever had. The stadium seats too many for this community for this sport. 48K-50K is perfect.
3. My only beef is we decided to build an Academic center before we did either of these other improvements.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

gronk4heisman wrote:As a comparison, every SEC team has an indoor practice facility including Kentucky and Vanderbilt. I really hope this fee is used for that instead of making the stadium smaller and putting in seat backs. I have never heard anyone say they don't go to the game because their are no seat backs and I sure as hell could not picture that effecting recruiting and thus the result on the field.

Though the argument that we should get an indoor practice facility because NOT having one has never got us a Rose Bowl is ludicrous. NOT holding spring practices in Glendale Stadium and NOT changing to an all black uniform have never got us a Rose Bowl either, maybe we should change those to.
My point is when people like Puerco or others who bash the idea and say we don't need it, it is stupid, it is another reflection for how terrible kids are these days, it will not help in recruiting, it will not get us to a rose bowl, I 100% know what we have been doing or the facilities we have hasn't helped us get there. We have been playing in the PAC 12 since 1978 and we have only been close 3 times that I know of (1993, 1998, and 2014) and I believe it is due to a lack of strong recruiting. I think adding an indoor facility will greatly help in recruiting (would love for someone to tell me it will hurt recruiting) hence I believe it increases our chances of bringing in higher quality kids and in my opinion, will help our chances of finally making a Rose Bowl.

The facilities we currently have, have never lead us to a Rose Bowl so might as well add to them.

Holding spring practice in Glendale or changing to an all black uniform in my opinion would not help us in recruiting so see zero reason why we would ever do that.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

A couple of bullet points in response to your post.

1. Bring on an indoor facility, I've been on that train with you since day one. They don't even cost that much. Reach out to a Gronkowski or Bruschi or Lance Briggs, slap their name on it, and get errr done.
2. The whole improvement to AZ Stadium that will lead to eliminating 5,000+ seats or so may be the best idea anyone has ever had. The stadium seats too many for this community for this sport. 48K-50K is perfect.
3. My only beef is we decided to build an Academic center before we did either of these other improvements.
1. I agree, how awesome would it be to have Gronkowski on a new building at U of A
2. Could not agree more
3. I agree on this 100% though I have heard the current academic center is too small inside McKale and will also be a recruiting tool.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UA students push back on $200 stadium fee

http://tucson.com/news/local/article_63 ... &id=201408

Some University of Arizona students are pushing back against a proposed new $200-a-year fee to help pay for upgrades to the school’s aged football stadium.

More than 1,200 graduate and professional students overwhelmingly rejected the mandatory fee proposal recently put forth by UA athletics director Greg Byrne.

Sarah Netherton, president of the UA’s Graduate and Professional Student Council, said 94 percent of respondents to the council’s recent poll were opposed or strongly opposed to the new fee.

Grad students typically are cash-strapped and “most objected for financial reasons,” Netherton said.

Joe Zanoni, a senator with Associated Students of the University of Arizona said he’s “getting lots of negative feedback” on the proposal, and is working on plans to poll the UA’s entire student body to gauge the level of support.

Byrne acknowledges that students have “mixed opinions” about the proposal, which would need approval from UA President Ann Weaver Hart and the Arizona Board of Regents, which oversees the state’s public university system

The new fee would help fund an expected $150 million in renovations to Arizona Stadium, built in 1928. If approved, the fee would not affect current students, but would be phased in as newcomers begin their studies.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:As a comparison, every SEC team has an indoor practice facility including Kentucky and Vanderbilt. I really hope this fee is used for that instead of making the stadium smaller and putting in seat backs. I have never heard anyone say they don't go to the game because their are no seat backs and I sure as hell could not picture that effecting recruiting and thus the result on the field.

My point is when people like Puerco or others who bash the idea and say we don't need it, it is stupid, it is another reflection for how terrible kids are these days, it will not help in recruiting, it will not get us to a rose bowl, I 100% know what we have been doing or the facilities we have hasn't helped us get there. We have been playing in the PAC 12 since 1978 and we have only been close 3 times that I know of (1993, 1998, and 2014) and I believe it is due to a lack of strong recruiting. I think adding an indoor facility will greatly help in recruiting (would love for someone to tell me it will hurt recruiting) hence I believe it increases our chances of bringing in higher quality kids and in my opinion, will help our chances of finally making a Rose Bowl.

The facilities we currently have, have never lead us to a Rose Bowl so might as well add to them.

Holding spring practice in Glendale or changing to an all black uniform in my opinion would not help us in recruiting so see zero reason why we would ever do that.
You want to know some teams which have practice bubbles?

Colorado
Rutgers
Harvard
Cincinnati
North Dakota State
Maryland
Eastern Michigan

Should I go on with this veritable list of powerhouse programs to which we should aspire? Look, I can appreciate having a bubble if you really need it -- I see you NDSU -- but football is a fall sport. The weather in Tucson during the fall is better than just about anywhere in the country, so it is simply not necessary once we get out of fall camp. You, I, and 80% of the rest of the people posting on these boards have played football in Arizona. The weather is not a problem at all. Did it make preseason practice hell on earth? Yep, sure did. But it was something we were all proud of going through.

So basically, you're saying we need to shell out tens of millions to buy the thing and set it up, then who knows how much more to air condition the space, to have a facility we simply do not need. In order to get better recruits. That's a sketchy argument if I'm making a business investment, quite frankly. Most likely a negative NPV... But hey, who knows. Maybe we should ask CU how much positive recruiting impact their bubble has made, right?

Nah, just a big waste on money folks. Use it for something more tangible, like, oh... Not jerking the students around with an athletic fee?

EDIT: if some donor gives us money specifically for a bubble, then go for it. Otherwise there are higher priority things on which to spend our money.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Anyone who's played football in southern Arizona knows that the monsoons cause significant problems for outdoor practices.

I remember having to go inside at least twice a week in the middle of practice because of the Lightning. It's a significant problem.

The actual temperature or whatever isn't a problem. The Lightning is.

In addition, during the summer it's too hot to practice outdoors. That's a player safety issue. An indoor facility would significantly improve this program.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Puerco wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

You want to know some teams which have practice bubbles?

Colorado
Rutgers
Harvard
Cincinnati
North Dakota State
Maryland
Eastern Michigan

Should I go on with this veritable list of powerhouse programs to which we should aspire? Look, I can appreciate having a bubble if you really need it -- I see you NDSU -- but football is a fall sport. The weather in Tucson during the fall is better than just about anywhere in the country, so it is simply not necessary once we get out of fall camp. You, I, and 80% of the rest of the people posting on these boards have played football in Arizona. The weather is not a problem at all. Did it make preseason practice hell on earth? Yep, sure did. But it was something we were all proud of going through.

So basically, you're saying we need to shell out tens of millions to buy the thing and set it up, then who knows how much more to air condition the space, to have a facility we simply do not need. In order to get better recruits. That's a sketchy argument if I'm making a business investment, quite frankly. Most likely a negative NPV... But hey, who knows. Maybe we should ask CU how much positive recruiting impact their bubble has made, right?

Nah, just a big waste on money folks. Use it for something more tangible, like, oh... Not jerking the students around with an athletic fee?

EDIT: if some donor gives us money specifically for a bubble, then go for it. Otherwise there are higher priority things on which to spend our money.
Walter Sobchak, you know who disagrees with you Rich Rod. You know who else disagrees with you 95% of Arizona fans. You know who else will eventually disagree with you, yourself, because when you go to an Arizona game and go to the beer garden in the indoor facility before, maybe even during or after the game you are going to say, wow this is awesome.

You are so wrong on so many levels on this issue. 17 out of the top 20 teams by ranking at the end of 2015 had indoor facilities. One of those three, Stanford, has ideal weather for football year round and doesn't need one. Houston's coach is begging his administration for one and North Carolina is kicking off construction in two years on one.

Also, I played a real mans sports for the U of A, Water Polo, not football.

Walter Sobchak: Those rich fucks! This whole fucking thing... I did not watch my buddies die face down in the muck so that this fucking strumpet...
The Dude: I don't see any connection to Vietnam, Walter.
Walter Sobchak: Well, there isn't a literal connection, Dude.
The Dude: Walter, face it, there isn't any connection.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Salty wrote:Anyone who's played football in southern Arizona knows that the monsoons cause significant problems for outdoor practices.

I remember having to go inside at least twice a week in the middle of practice because of the Lightning. It's a significant problem.

In addition, during the summer it's too hot to practice outdoors. That's a player safety issue. An indoor facility would significantly improve this program.
My God a voice of reason!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm pretty sure the student fee has nothing to do with an indoor practice facility.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Salty wrote:Anyone who's played football in southern Arizona knows that the monsoons cause significant problems for outdoor practices.

How does a bubble protect one from lightning? (I'm ignorant when it comes to grounding). Lightning rods?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

wyo-cat wrote:I'm pretty sure the student fee has nothing to do with an indoor practice facility.
It does not, they will have to raise the money for the Practice Facility from Rich Donors

Fee is to redo Arizona stadium
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.
Newportcat wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:I'm pretty sure the student fee has nothing to do with an indoor practice facility.
It does not, they will have to raise the money for the Practice Facility from Rich Donors

Fee is to redo Arizona stadium
I just said above that if donors want to specifically pay for a bubble then go for it. I still think it's pretty useless, but it ain't my money, and it ain't the students' money.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Puerco wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.
Puerco, jury only needed 5min to deliberate to come back and say you lost this case.....nice try but take your worthless arguments somewhere else.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

As an ex-football student manager, I'd love an indoor facility. During camp my freshman year we had to practice in RJ in tennis shoes because of the monsoons.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Private donations = Indoor Practice Facility
Student Fee = Fix up Arizona Stadium

Both should be done.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think this new academic center will be another good recruiting tool. Not sure how many other PAC 12 schools will have a dedicated building/facility like this. It also finally puts to rest any notion of baseball ever coming back to Campus and Hi Corbett being the long-term field for Arizona baseball which is awesome.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3121 ... mic-center

Greg Byrne is unbelievable when it comes to raising money.

I can not wait to see the renderings of the new indoor facility. My hope is they start working on them to kick off construction in December of 2016/January 2017. From looking at other facilities like Florida, looks like it takes about 8 to 9 months to construct but ours will require a decent amount of demo due to Sancet and we will also need to create the additional fields. If it doesn't start by the beginning of next year then I assume it will start end of 2017 to be done before 2018 season

Cant wait for the Indoor Beer Garden...this is what they have at Oregon

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

While I am much more concerned about getting the indoor practice facility and improving/expanding our current practice fields as I think those improvements will benefit recruiting more, this is not good. We need that student fee to improve Arizona Stadium to shrink it, improve it and create a better fan experience which in tune will help our program.

Hate the fee or not, but its the only way we can improve Arizona Stadium which is in desperate need of help

Not great news
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

The students disagree it seems.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Newportcat wrote: Hate the fee or not, but its the only way we can improve Arizona Stadium which is in desperate need of help
Or we could hold Larry Scott accountable for the cluster fuck that is the Pac 12 Network. How much has our budget increased since we signed that deal? I would say much less than every other P5 conference with their media deals.
MountainCat

Constructon CAM is up!

Post by MountainCat »

Looks like there are just starting to tear down the stands today. Click on the link below, then click "Live Camera" link on the left.

Here you go:

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/project/15-9273" target="_blank
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I guess the media trailers will have to find some place new to park for home games

Interesting that Byrne caved. He had to have gotten hundreds if not thousands of emails from students
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I was student there. It's only $200 for fucks sake!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:I was student there. It's only $200 for fucks sake!
That's a lot of Ramen.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Would you be willing to pay that kinda money every year for something you never use or care about? Lots of students could give a crap about football and will never go near the stadium. It's reasonable to expect them to be upset about having to pay for it.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Would you be willing to pay that kinda money every year for something you never use or care about? Lots of students could give a crap about football and will never go near the stadium. It's reasonable to expect them to be upset about having to pay for it.
They have to pay $150 a year to use the REC. How many students at the U of A use the REC center...25%.

Remember too, this fee would not be imposed on any current students but only future students so future students would have a choice whether to attend the U of A r not if they strongly disagreed with this fee.

You guys keep dismissing this and our program will continue to suck. I f*cking hate a lot of Arizona fans
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
They have to pay $150 a year to use the REC. How many students at the U of A use the REC center...25%.

Remember too, this fee would not be imposed on any current students but only future students so future students would have a choice whether to attend the U of A r not if they strongly disagreed with this fee.

You guys keep dismissing this and our program will continue to suck. I f*cking hate a lot of Arizona fans
Says the guy who dismisses 90% of the basketball season. I fucking hate a lot of Arizona fans ...

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Right back at ya, Newport.

Why not raise ticket prices to cover the cost of the renovations? So that maybe, you know, the people who actually benefit from said renovations pay for their cost?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Jefe wrote:I guess the media trailers will have to find some place new to park for home games

Interesting that Byrne caved. He had to have gotten hundreds if not thousands of emails from students
They are designing a spot for the media trailers to pull under the structure. It's integrated into the design.
Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:
That's a lot of Ramen.
That's one of my favorite accounts. I need all the kids across America to continue to buy this fine product!

:mrgreen: