2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catgrad97

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by catgrad97 »

All coaches are threats to get poached. Are we this pessimistic after RichRod's flirtation with South Carolina?

Focus on building a winner here, however we can. Stop thinking about where the next torn ACL's going to come from. It doesn't help.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:I believe ChooChoo was saying that Donte's going to get poached.
Yup.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

No sense getting worked up either way about a kid. He'll likely take visits but if he's connected with Donte, then he isn't going anywhere. He's going to make a great RB for you guys
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Puerco wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Puerco wrote:All this recruiting stuff is a waste of time until we win a Rose Bowl. ;)
You said it not me! Also I do recall saying you could care less if Arizona made a Rose Bowl.

Reason we have never made a Rose Bowl, in my opinion the biggest reason is decades of average recruiting. Greg Johnson is not the typical Arizona recruit and lets all hope it is just a sign of things to come.
:lol:

I never said that, Newport. You're making crap up. Of course I want us to make a Rose Bowl, but if we make it and lose the first time I'll be really, really pissed off.
And I QUOTE from the Basketball board under the Pathway to the 2016 PAC Title thread
What's the difference between hanging a Final Four banner and an Elite Eight banner, Newport? Either way, your last game of the season was a loss. The conference championship signals season-long excellence, which has more meaning than any touranment result other than winning the National Championship. We all put different values on different things. Would I exchange a PAC championship for a loss in the Elite Eight? No way. A loss in the Final Four? Maybe. A loss in the championship? Probably. But that's just my value. Claiming a conference title has NO value is just f_cking silly.

And screw getting to the Rose Bowl. When we finally get to the Rose Bowl, it's going to be the worst f_cking night of my life if we lose it.

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:
Puerco wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Puerco wrote:All this recruiting stuff is a waste of time until we win a Rose Bowl. ;)
You said it not me! Also I do recall saying you could care less if Arizona made a Rose Bowl.

Reason we have never made a Rose Bowl, in my opinion the biggest reason is decades of average recruiting. Greg Johnson is not the typical Arizona recruit and lets all hope it is just a sign of things to come.
:lol:

I never said that, Newport. You're making crap up. Of course I want us to make a Rose Bowl, but if we make it and lose the first time I'll be really, really pissed off.
And I QUOTE from the Basketball board under the Pathway to the 2016 PAC Title thread
What's the difference between hanging a Final Four banner and an Elite Eight banner, Newport? Either way, your last game of the season was a loss. The conference championship signals season-long excellence, which has more meaning than any touranment result other than winning the National Championship. We all put different values on different things. Would I exchange a PAC championship for a loss in the Elite Eight? No way. A loss in the Final Four? Maybe. A loss in the championship? Probably. But that's just my value. Claiming a conference title has NO value is just f_cking silly.

And screw getting to the Rose Bowl. When we finally get to the Rose Bowl, it's going to be the worst f_cking night of my life if we lose it.

Uh, boom what exactly? That quote of mine you just posted is exactly the same as what I wrote just above it. I don't want to just GET to the Rose Bowl. I want to WIN it. I guess I'm just more diehard than you and all your friends.

I hate to point this out to you, but getting to the Rose Bowl and losing has exactly as much value as winning your conference and losing in the Elite Eight. It is almost exactly the same achievement.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

If you think getting to a Rose Bowl and losing for a program like Arizona has exactly the same value as us winning your conference in basketball and losing in the Elite 8 then I think you are in the 1% as in 99% of Arizona fans would disagree with you. Sure you will find some guys on this board who agree with you but in reality you would be hard pressed to find many fans who feel the same way. I think every single Arizona fan I have ever met, been friends with, and my immediate family including my Great Uncle who was one of the biggest diehard Arizona fans of all time (Literally), would say making a Rose Bowl for Arizona football would carry about the same weight, value, etc as making a Final Four in basketball not making the Elite 8.

By the way, I do hate pointing this out to you but the only way to win a Rose Bowl (Which if we lose and its the worst night of your life so I know it has meaning to you) is actually first MAKING a Rose Bowl. Can not have one without the Other first. Do I want to win a Rose Bowl, YES of course but want to first make the game so we give ourselves the opportunity to win it.

getting studs like Greg Johnson to commit (and then sign) with us is a good step in getting us to a Rose Bowl which we first need to do before we can ever win one.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Does every thread have to get derailed over petty squabbles?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fishclamps wrote:Does every thread have to get derailed over petty squabbles?
Yep. When the forum was started back on June 3rd, 2014 it was written into the forum rules.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:By the way, I do hate pointing this out to you but the only way to win a Rose Bowl (Which if we lose and its the worst night of your life so I know it has meaning to you) is actually first MAKING a Rose Bowl. Can not have one without the Other first. Do I want to win a Rose Bowl, YES of course but want to first make the game so we give ourselves the opportunity to win it.

getting studs like Greg Johnson to commit (and then sign) with us is a good step in getting us to a Rose Bowl which we first need to do before we can ever win one.
Yes, Newport, I know. I didn't think I had to specify that. :) I also know that making a Rose Bowl is bigger even than making a Final Four to Arizona fans. I was speaking of the accomplishment in general -- not specifically to the UA -- because the implication of each is that you've won the conference and are in the top 8-12 teams in the country.

Yeah, the Johnson commit is really, really good if it sticks all the way till signing day. So far, so good with the new coaching staff. I hope they keep the momentum throughout this year for 2017's class.

Fishclamps: we're not fighting. We're discussing. (I hope all the rest of you heard that from your parents when you were kids)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I'd rather with a College Football National Championship over winning the Rose Bowl. You might have to win a Rose Bowl to get to the National Championship, then again you might not. So, I would say that winning a College Football Playoff would scratch the "Rose Bowl" itch for me.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco wrote:I'd rather with a College Football National Championship over winning the Rose Bowl. You might have to win a Rose Bowl to get to the National Championship, then again you might not. So, I would say that winning a College Football Playoff would scratch the "Rose Bowl" itch for me.
My thoughts exactly.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The ultimate fantasy is winning a national championship game against an SEC team after winning a Rose Bowl semifinal game against Michigan.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:The ultimate fantasy is winning a national championship game against an SEC team after winning a Rose Bowl semifinal game against Michigan.
For once we completely agree
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UALoco wrote:I'd rather with a College Football National Championship over winning the Rose Bowl. You might have to win a Rose Bowl to get to the National Championship, then again you might not. So, I would say that winning a College Football Playoff would scratch the "Rose Bowl" itch for me.
Me too, but I view it very similarly now with the changes. Though something about Arizona playing in the Rose Bowl, the grandaddy of them all would be so sick especially having grown up in Socal with a Grandmother who lived in Pasadena. Went to probably 3-4 Rose Bowls as a kid and just remember being in awe of how many fans were there, the field, etc.

If Arizona made a BCS game in a year where the Rose Bowl wasn't included I would be bummed for probably 2 to maybe 3 seconds

Who is our next commit?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Puerco wrote:
Newportcat wrote:By the way, I do hate pointing this out to you but the only way to win a Rose Bowl (Which if we lose and its the worst night of your life so I know it has meaning to you) is actually first MAKING a Rose Bowl. Can not have one without the Other first. Do I want to win a Rose Bowl, YES of course but want to first make the game so we give ourselves the opportunity to win it.

Yes, Newport, I know. I didn't think I had to specify that. :) I also know that making a Rose Bowl is bigger even than making a Final Four to Arizona fans. I was speaking of the accomplishment in general -- not specifically to the UA -- because the implication of each is that you've won the conference and are in the top 8-12 teams in the country.

Yeah, the Johnson commit is really, really good if it sticks all the way till signing day. So far, so good with the new coaching staff. I hope they keep the momentum throughout this year for 2017's class.

Fishclamps: we're not fighting. We're discussing. (I hope all the rest of you heard that from your parents when you were kids)
I am a lover not a fighter. This is a message board, what fun would it be if everyone agreed with each other?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Nice article about recruiting by AG.
http://www.todaysu.com/pac-12-today/ari ... ecruiting/" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Great pickup with Johnson... So I guess it is possible to recruit elite talent to play football despite the summer weather, lack of an indoor practice facility, lack of history and fan support, yadda yadda yadda.

To recruit you need great recruiters. Looks like we got some... Boo-yah!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Oh Harvey, we do need great recruiters and I think we got them with Williams but the other items are very important too if we want to consistently bring in class of studs like Johnson.

The good news is Rich rod agrees with me Harvey not you. To prove my point see the article below from Ted Miller on our staff changes and brings up the indoor facility that Rich Rod "continues to advocate for" to help recruiting. I have been told that Rich Rod is now pushing hard for this facility with Byrne as he was told to keep his mouth shut on it while they raised money for the McKale improvements and the new academic facility.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... up-arizona

Though I completely disagree with Ted that we have the best weather for College Football. We definitely have the best spring weather but summer and fall, no that would be UCLA or USC or San Diego St. by far. Why else does the entire State of Arizona move to Socal during the summer months I feel like
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:The ultimate fantasy is winning a national championship game against an SEC team after winning a Rose Bowl semifinal game against Michigan.
Yeah, I think that's a great dream. Good call.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Puerco wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Yeah, I think that's a great dream. Good call.
Cosigned. That's the ultimate.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We'd probably all die
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Guess RichRod Jr isn't the all that.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Merkin wrote:Guess RichRod Jr isn't the all that.
Was he offered as a QB?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

No ATH. Most likely a wideout
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:No sense getting worked up either way about a kid. He'll likely take visits but if he's connected with Donte, then he isn't going anywhere. He's going to make a great RB for you guys
Apparently he's gonna play both ways or at least that's what we sold him on. Pretty sure it's primarily CB though and Donte would be his coach.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:Oh Harvey, we do need great recruiters and I think we got them with Williams but the other items are very important too if we want to consistently bring in class of studs like Johnson.

The good news is Rich rod agrees with me Harvey not you. To prove my point see the article below from Ted Miller on our staff changes and brings up the indoor facility that Rich Rod "continues to advocate for" to help recruiting. I have been told that Rich Rod is now pushing hard for this facility with Byrne as he was told to keep his mouth shut on it while they raised money for the McKale improvements and the new academic facility.

Though I completely disagree with Ted that we have the best weather for College Football. We definitely have the best spring weather but summer and fall, no that would be UCLA or USC or San Diego St. by far. Why else does the entire State of Arizona move to Socal during the summer months I feel like
That is great Rich Rod agrees with you on this topic, but it is not shocking.

What do you expect him to say? "No, I don't want an indoor facility - but thanks anyway"? Or "The reason our recruiting has been suspect in the past 4 years is not because of facilities, it is because my staff and me did a sun-standard job"? Yeah... Sure

Better facilities will help - no doubt - but recruiters make the biggest difference. But don't let me interrupt you enjoying having your head up our ass,
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Per Biggins
Longtime #Arizona QB commit Braxton Burmeister opening things up

Never thought he'd be a good fit in that offense
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:Per Biggins

No surprise at all.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Well fuck!!!!
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Football recruiting is the worst.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Oh Harvey, we do need great recruiters and I think we got them with Williams but the other items are very important too if we want to consistently bring in class of studs like Johnson.

That is great Rich Rod agrees with you on this topic, but it is not shocking.

What do you expect him to say? "No, I don't want an indoor facility - but thanks anyway"? Or "The reason our recruiting has been suspect in the past 4 years is not because of facilities, it is because my staff and me did a sun-standard job"? Yeah... Sure

Better facilities will help - no doubt - but recruiters make the biggest difference. But don't let me interrupt you enjoying having your head up our ass,
Rich Rod is advocating or what I have been told by prominent Alumni PUSHING for the facility as he believes its critical to help improve our program. Great recruiters are of course important but look at Oregon and tell me the reason they have had so much success is just due to having great recruiters. Honestly, I do not know who their great recruiters have been. All I hear about if recruits talking about the wow factor when it comes to their facilities.

Harvey, we just disagree on this issue. I simply believe great recruiters need something to sell. We have sucked at recruiting for basically eternity and I don't think its simply because we have never had great recruiters. When a recruit comes to one of our summer camps and its 105 outside, well I don't care how great the recruiter is, that is a tough sell.

One thing I know for a fact is Rich Rod is already selling the indoor facility to the 2017 and 2018 recruits saying it will be in place sometime in 2017 or 2018.

By the way, I might make a large donation to the facility and if I do, you are never allowed in it Harvey
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:

No surprise at all.
Not sure why we even bother with these early commitments from highly rated prospects. Have we EVER had one stick? If so, I cannot remember it.

Gerell Robinson - Shea Patterson - Trevor Speights - Braxton Burmeister. By my count we are ohfer. Enough of wasting time with this shit.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

No surprise at all.
Not sure why we even bother with these early commitments from highly rated prospects. Have we EVER had one stick? If so, I cannot remember it.

Gerell Robinson - Shea Patterson - Trevor Speights - Braxton Burmeister. By my count we are ohfer. Enough of wasting time with this shit.
It's all basically a giant freaking waste of time. But we all knew that already.

If your Alabama, USC, Ohio State, LSU, Michigan or ND it might be OK..........but Arizona........Please.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

early commitments rarely work out for a lot of teams. Good luck to burmeister, but there are some good dual threats in the west this year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

His relationship with Rod Smith is still very strong. Have to wonder if Tate improving and looking like he will play QB at AZ in the future has anything to do with it.

I think he ends up at UDUB but that's just a guess. I guess I am just not that concerned about RR and staff recruiting the QB position
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

No surprise at all.

Just a guess, but offering elite athletes without much chance of getting anyone here is probably RR's response to "Why are you only recruiting 2 and 3 star athletes?".

Like I mentioned before, never expected Burmeister to put on a UA uniform. Modster was more surprising.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

24/7 Sports now has a decommittment track. :shock:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Decommits
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

UAEebs86 wrote:24/7 Sports now has a decommittment track. :shock:

That's actually really helpful, which others had jumped on board earlier.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Sid

Post by Sid »

Do we have a shot at Tate Martell?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I was day-dreaming about Darnay Holmes and Greg Johnson being our two CB's the other day.
https://twitter.com/DarnayHolmes/status ... 4803579905" target="_blank
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azgreg wrote:
There's a couple of guys visiting now. I've seen them rolling around in the special carts.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:

Do we have a shot at Tate Martell?

No.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Tilford needs to play D but he hasn't been the same since that Santiago game
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:Tilford needs to play D but he hasn't been the same since that Santiago game

He's a RB. An amazing one at that. Id never play him anywhere else.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:

What a complete shock. :lol:
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Bryce Wolma added to the class. Not sure how solid the commitment is since he apparently committed to Northwestern three days ago. Maybe had the NW coach saved in his phone as "Wildcat Coach" and committed to the wrong guy. Really hope Rich Rod is finding a way to use the TE in the future with Trevor Wood, Kern and Wolma.