2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by CatsbyAZ »

gronk4heisman wrote:Bryce Wolma added to the class. Not sure how solid the commitment is since he apparently committed to Northwestern three days ago. Maybe had the NW coach saved in his phone as "Wildcat Coach" and committed to the wrong guy. Really hope Rich Rod is finding a way to use the TE in the future with Trevor Wood, Kern and Wolma.
I was wondering about that too. Did UA even offer? We haven't used TEs anyway, but decent offer list. Anyway, very glad for the two defensive commits.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I love picking up TE's often they are very good athletes and if they don't work out on offense move them to defense (see Darrell Cloy). They can turn in to LB's, DL, DE, or even bulk up and play the line. Wolma is a solid athlete.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Bryce Wolma added to the class. Not sure how solid the commitment is since he apparently committed to Northwestern three days ago. Maybe had the NW coach saved in his phone as "Wildcat Coach" and committed to the wrong guy. Really hope Rich Rod is finding a way to use the TE in the future with Trevor Wood, Kern and Wolma.
I was wondering about that too. Did UA even offer? We haven't used TEs anyway, but decent offer list. Anyway, very glad for the two defensive commits.
Apparently he's been a friend of the Rhett's since the Rodriguez's were in Michigan, they were in school together and he visits Tucson to see Rhett quite often. I imagine this was a pretty big deal and would assume he's locked in.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Jim Michalczik loves recruiting TE and turning them into OT.

That alone is a good reason to recruit TE's.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Tilford needs to play D but he hasn't been the same since that Santiago game

He's a RB. An amazing one at that. Id never play him anywhere else.
He wasn't even the best RB at Upland any of the years he was there. Highest rated but not the best. On defense he has NFL potential. At RB he's a good college player but as I said, he's never been the same his that Santiago game
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Tilford needs to play D but he hasn't been the same since that Santiago game

He wasn't even the best RB at Upland any of the years he was there. Highest rated but not the best. On defense he has NFL potential. At RB he's a good college player but as I said, he's never been the same his that Santiago game

RB: 887 yds 12 TDs

LB: 3 tackles 1 int

Career TDs.....36 Tackles.....11

From what I seen of him at RB.....I'm highly impressed.

Now that he transferred to Colony, he might not even see the field on D. We'll see how Randall plays it.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Kid will be a 20 year old freshmen when he gets around to it. He was an 18 year old Junior. What's crazy is that he's 10 days younger than a current UCLA SO LB, Josh Woods, also of Upland.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

http://247sports.com/Player/Nathan-Tilford-33518" target="_blank

#1 & #2 athletes from California are committed to Arizona
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I was talking to one of the assistant coaches this past weekend, and he said that interest in U of A football has never been higher. The new grinders on the recruiting trail have to help with that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scheer says he will be playing RB.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

That is the position Biggins projected him at and I think highly of his opinion so I don't see why you don't see him having potential to be really good at RB.
Last edited by catinfl on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:Kid will be a 20 year old freshmen when he gets around to it. He was an 18 year old Junior. What's crazy is that he's 10 days younger than a current UCLA SO LB, Josh Woods, also of Upland.
I don't care how old he is. All I care about is the two ATH's we snagged from California with SC and UCLA offers. You guys may end up with Darnay, but we are doing well with Thomas Graham (what the hell was SC thinking?). Joseph Lewis is another one I would probably jump up and down with joy if he decided to come here. All of these guys may not end up signing with Arizona, but we are off to the best start since I can remember. Guys like Graham, Johnson, and Tilford wouldn't give us a sniff a couple years ago.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Hell yes. Great start to the class! Even if you think early commits don't mean jack, you have to be be excited about the trajectory. Plus you can bet your ass that kids are noticing the momentum.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

What is just as crazy is that Arizona has the second ranked class currently. If for some reason they can hold onto this commits and pull in some more, this is a game changing class for Arizona.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Nice kid. Was committed to SC twice but he wouldn't be a good fit there. I hope he succeeds at Arizona
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Main Event wrote:
Great commit, welcome Nathan!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Nice breakdown by AZDS on the players in town for last weekends Junior day.
The Arizona Wildcats had a pretty big day filled with recruiting this past Saturday, hosting many in-state prospects. The coaching staff was competing with Arizona State's spring game which is a pretty great strategy for the staff. Now, the Arizona coaching staff will travel across the country to visit recruits, evaluate and send out offers.

Arizona will also be hosting another Junior Day as we get closer to May and this one should be much larger, with busses filled with recruits from passing leagues, training facilities and high school teams invading the facilities.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ANGCatFan wrote:Nice breakdown by AZDS on the players in town for last weekends Junior day.
The Arizona Wildcats had a pretty big day filled with recruiting this past Saturday, hosting many in-state prospects. The coaching staff was competing with Arizona State's spring game which is a pretty great strategy for the staff. Now, the Arizona coaching staff will travel across the country to visit recruits, evaluate and send out offers.

Arizona will also be hosting another Junior Day as we get closer to May and this one should be much larger, with busses filled with recruits from passing leagues, training facilities and high school teams invading the facilities.
The breakdown failed to mention the two biggest names here, Austin Jackson (5 Star, #1 in AZ, #13 in Nation) and Isiah Pola-Mao (4 Star, #5 in AZ, #232 in Nation).
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

gronk4heisman wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Nice breakdown by AZDS on the players in town for last weekends Junior day.

The breakdown failed to mention the two biggest names here, Austin Jackson (5 Star, #1 in AZ, #13 in Nation) and Isiah Pola-Mao (4 Star, #5 in AZ, #232 in Nation).
Lol yeah. Jackson would be great, but I doubt he stays in-state. Pola-Mao is an option though. I really doubt Jerrell(SP?) will come to Arizona because Saguaro, but I think Pola-Mao is a possibility. Would be great to get into Mountain Pointe also.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Looks like we offered Derrick Tucker out of Texas. It would be nice to land a kid of his size and speed for the secondary.

http://247sports.com/Player/Derrick-Tucker-63314" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nice pick up although he is appears to be a sleeper. Need depth on the dline
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Nice! Welcome to the Wildcat Family Watson!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azcat49 wrote:Nice pick up although he is appears to be a sleeper. Need depth on the dline
Redshirt him. Won't see the field for a while.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RR finally offers a scholarship to a ST player!

Chris Sailer really likes him:

https://chrissailerkicking.com/player-r ... layer=5121" target="_blank

Brandon is a big time kicking prospect. He is a great athlete with an elite leg. Field goals are outstanding off the ground. Kickoffs are D1 ready right now. He is also a dependable punter. Brandon is a competitor that does very well under pressure. He has all the tools to be a star at the D1 level. A fine young man with a great attitude and work ethic. There is no doubt that he is a scholarship pick. OFFER NOW!!!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chris says that about all the kids.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:Chris says that about all the kids.

Alex Zendejas comes to mind.

Was Zendejas the last FG kicker to be offered a scholarship out of high school before Ruiz?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Chris says that about all the kids.

Alex Zendejas comes to mind.

Was Zendejas the last FG kicker to be offered a scholarship out of high school before Ruiz?

Yes, that I can remember. It's good to see RR taking special teams a little more seriously. I've tried to get a couple of kickers and a punter to get a look with the team and have been told some scary stuff. RR has some very different requirements....especially for punters. Speaking of that....Arizona is very thin this season and they might have to bring someone else in. This Ruiz kid has a good leg....I'm pulling for him.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Josh Pollack was a 3-star recruit who we offered.

http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Pollac ... tion=10386" target="_blank

And then we were in the mix for a 5-star kicker this last recruiting cycle, but he went to Stanford: http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... riccitelli" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Josh Pollack was a 3-star recruit who we offered.

And then we were in the mix for a 5-star kicker this last recruiting cycle, but he went to Stanford: http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... riccitelli" target="_blank

Yes, Josh....he is going to be teaching my Son the art of punting. I got Collin noticed by staff and he wasn't a 5 star kicker. He was rated 5 stars with Chris. The problem with getting solid kickers with RR is that he wants them to be punters as well which is ideal but usually the real good kickers can punt but prefer keeping their focus on the kicking part. There are some kickers who swear that punting can get their kicking off the mark at times. RR wants his punters to do rodeo style kicks and it is not preferred at all by punters and it doesn't favor hang time at all. So, they can't show off their legs and hang time. I spoke with Ragle's buddy who I won't name but insiders know who I am speaking of and I told him that's gotta change. He agrees but he and Ragle are at the mercy of what RR wants. It's hard to get kickers for Arizona. I hope that changes.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

You'd think that this past off-season, if any, would make RR take a closer look.

Arizona's had some great punters (Danny Baugher, Ruben Rodriguez, Josh Miller). None of them were kickers.

And, with the slight exception of Nick Folk, none of Arizona's great kickers were punters too.

Remember the Alex Zendejas one-yard punt? *shiver*

Even Uncle Max never replaced Troy Lawton, no matter how bad he could get.

If RR's still happy to let grad assistants and a Phoenix high school tight ends coach run the special teams with one kicker and no punter, though, not enough has changed.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reminds of the Stoops' era, where Mike felt that special teams are for walk ons who just want to earn playing time.

Stoops put the new coach Hammerschmidt to do STs along with his primary assignment, whatever it was.

After the Zendejas Territorial Cup fiasco you think he would have learned. Even before that giving his own guy a concussion.

Understanding the limit for coaches, and that most teams don't have a designated ST coach, but when Joe Rob wins ST COY at LSU, and comes calling, you think the UA football program would answer.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catgrad97 wrote:You'd think that this past off-season, if any, would make RR take a closer look.

Arizona's had some great punters (Danny Baugher, Ruben Rodriguez, Josh Miller). None of them were kickers.

And, with the slight exception of Nick Folk, none of Arizona's great kickers were punters too.

Remember the Alex Zendejas one-yard punt? *shiver*

Even Uncle Max never replaced Troy Lawton, no matter how bad he could get.

If RR's still happy to let grad assistants and a Phoenix high school tight ends coach run the special teams with one kicker and no punter, though, not enough has changed.
RR usually has to fall on his face to make changes. Look how long he stuck with Casteel when the average Joe could see the fallacies. He has been toying around with the TE idea and he really doesn't believe to much in special teams. It's his offense offense offense. I'm willing to see what happens this season and see if he means business or not. I'm cautiously optimistic at best.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:

Yes, Josh....he is going to be teaching my Son the art of punting. I got Collin noticed by staff and he wasn't a 5 star kicker. He was rated 5 stars with Chris. The problem with getting solid kickers with RR is that he wants them to be punters as well which is ideal but usually the real good kickers can punt but prefer keeping their focus on the kicking part. There are some kickers who swear that punting can get their kicking off the mark at times. RR wants his punters to do rodeo style kicks and it is not preferred at all by punters and it doesn't favor hang time at all. So, they can't show off their legs and hang time. I spoke with Ragle's buddy who I won't name but insiders know who I am speaking of and I told him that's gotta change. He agrees but he and Ragle are at the mercy of what RR wants. It's hard to get kickers for Arizona. I hope that changes.
Chief,

We had the kid from Orange Lutheran gift wrapped and ready to go this season, do you know what happened there? I was told his mom loved Arizona, but they told him to walk on. A dual punter/kicker with a Hell of a leg from a good SoCal school. Akron gave him a full ride and that iced the deal.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Here's a kid we need t make a priority.

DT Jordan Scott...explosive for 6'1" 345
http://247sports.com/Player/Jordon-Scott-80649" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Chief,

We had the kid from Orange Lutheran gift wrapped and ready to go this season, do you know what happened there? I was told his mom loved Arizona, but they told him to walk on. A dual punter/kicker with a Hell of a leg from a good SoCal school. Akron gave him a full ride and that iced the deal.

Jerry Fitschen. I represented him. I introduced him to the staff and had an inside on the kicking coach. I called and talked with the kicking coach and he said he would present his film and phone number to Ragle. Jerry's parents and Jerry were completely all in. I got called by the kicking coach and told that Jerry could walk on preferred, or he could go to Pima. I was pretty floored. I said thanks and called a buddy at Akron. Jerry doesn't want to really go to Akron....he wants Arizona but it's out of my hands. I did all I could do. It's frustrating.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote:Reminds of the Stoops' era, where Mike felt that special teams are for walk ons who just want to earn playing time.

Stoops put the new coach Hammerschmidt to do STs along with his primary assignment, whatever it was.
Hard to come up with a worse special teams unit than the ones Hammerschmidt coached. Yeesh, I still remember the 2011 game at Oregon State where with one of our punts already blocked earlier for a touchdown we f'ed up again, running what looked like a fake fake punt, Still have no idea what it was meant to be. And of course OSU capitalizes, takes the momentum back, and holds onto an ultimately 37-27 win. Probably the most dysfunctional UA performance I've seen.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Chief,

Jerry Fitschen. I represented him. I introduced him to the staff and had an inside on the kicking coach. I called and talked with the kicking coach and he said he would present his film and phone number to Ragle. Jerry's parents and Jerry were completely all in. I got called by the kicking coach and told that Jerry could walk on preferred, or he could go to Pima. I was pretty floored. I said thanks and called a buddy at Akron. Jerry doesn't want to really go to Akron....he wants Arizona but it's out of my hands. I did all I could do. It's frustrating.
That's him. I posted a couple of times about this kid. Jerry is always camped out at one of my best buddies house as his son (Sean Wright) & Jerry are best friends. My bro raves about this kid and would call me all the time saying we got a absolute diamond, great kid, fantastic grades and one Hell of a leg!

Fucking great.

Thanks Chief I had a feeling you would have the inside scoop. Having a kid that crushes it out of the end zone every freaking time is overrated, who needs that shit. That would be horrible.

Fucking amazing...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Chief,

That's him. I posted a couple of times about this kid. Jerry is always camped out at one of my best buddies house as his son (Sean Wright) & Jerry are best friends. My bro raves about this kid and would call me all the time saying we got a absolute diamond, great kid, fantastic grades and one Hell of a leg!

Fucking great.

Thanks Chief I had a feeling you would have the inside scoop. Having a kid that crushes it out of the end zone every freaking time is overrated, who needs that shit. That would be horrible.

Fucking amazing...

Good stuff Sid. Jerry has all of the tools to be a special one. He would have been a perfect fit for Arizona. He is a great athlete....baseball...soccer....track...and as you probably know, he is fearless. There are so many good OC/LA/IE kids that I have tried to get over here that were either turned down or asked to be walk ons. Y'all would be shocked. That mentality might change with Yates and Donte in the mix though. Those guys are blowing it up out there...Arizona is fortunate to have them. BTW....Arizona's kicking game is in question right now. I can't get into the details but they are looking to bring someone else in. I love Josh and have full faith in him but I seem to be the only one. We shall see how it all turns out but Jerry would have been ideal.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Is Pollack expected to both kick and punt for us this year?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:Is Pollack expected to both kick and punt for us this year?

Right now Josh is the kicker and Jake (Glatting) is the punter headed into fall camp.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I'll expand to what might play out for the kickers by game 1. Josh will probably kick and punt.....they'll get the kicker from Arizona Western to walk on and he'll do kick offs only. That was the rumor but we'll see how it plays out. Glatting has been terrible.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:I'll expand to what might play out for the kickers by game 1. Josh will probably kick and punt.....they'll get the kicker from Arizona Western to walk on and he'll do kick offs only. That was the rumor but we'll see how it plays out. Glatting has been terrible.
Doubt it
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:I'll expand to what might play out for the kickers by game 1. Josh will probably kick and punt.....they'll get the kicker from Arizona Western to walk on and he'll do kick offs only. That was the rumor but we'll see how it plays out. Glatting has been terrible.
Doubt it

Josh is the best kicker and punter on the roster. Only thing that could change is that Glatting or someone else could learn the rodeo punt and be more effective. It would NOT be ideal to have Josh kick and punt but I am convinced that RR can give two hoots about the special teams anyway. Just my two cents.....
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Rhedi Short flip watch
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Tony Fields looks like a solid commit with solid offers and like us getting a Vegas kid as that is a logical place for us to get at least 1-3 players from each year.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:
Doubt it

Josh is the best kicker and punter on the roster. Only thing that could change is that Glatting or someone else could learn the rodeo punt and be more effective. It would NOT be ideal to have Josh kick and punt but I am convinced that RR can give two hoots about the special teams anyway. Just my two cents.....
So does RR think that any game won by a FG could have been won even easier with his offensive unit on the field? Or that it would be just as good to play four downs every possession and that field position doesn't matter?

Or does he just not think that much?

The attitude of Arizona coaches towards special teams since Tomey has frankly flabbergasted me. The program still seems to be struggling in certain areas it really doesn't have to be.