2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by azcat49 »

I think we are 1A to Nebraska ' s 1B right now with Graham. I think this one will be a tug of war until signing day
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I heard LS Nick Reinhardt got a scholie today. Good to see him recognized.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I told Scheer the info so I'll tel y'all. Ollie Graybar is transferring. They are looking to bring in a K. He will most likely kick off while Pollack does FG and XP. Pollack will also punt and heard Aragon wasn't invited to fall camp.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:Holmes is off to Stanford if he gets in, but that's considered a long shot. I thought Arizona was considered a favorite for Graham when he decommitted from SC, so I'm guessing things changed?
I didn't know anything changed. what have you heard? Wasn't ever a forgone conclusion he was coming here, but he liked us a lot.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:Holmes is off to Stanford if he gets in, but that's considered a long shot. I thought Arizona was considered a favorite for Graham when he decommitted from SC, so I'm guessing things changed?

The longer his recruitment is, the less chance he is coming. ND is real strong right now.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Elijah Blades is announcing in a few weeks (June 12th) and it appears to be between us and Florida. If we do in fact land him does that take us out of the running for Thomas Graham and Darnay Holmes? That will be two big time players to man the corners (Greg Johnson being the other) and it is my understanding Holmes and Graham would be competing at the same position.

I think there is a very good chance that Arizona lands Blades. I would be surprised if Arizona landed Graham and shocked if they landed Holmes. I think Johnson is way better suited as a RB/WR/slot than a CB but that is just my two cents.
Who do you think lands Graham then?

This month I say ND.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

With Briles gone from Baylor, any chance we poach some 'cruits?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

TuiTouchdown wrote:With Briles gone from Baylor, any chance we poach some 'cruits?
They only have about 5 guys for 2017 atm and I'm not familiar with them, but I'm sure there will be contact to gauge interest. What will be interesting is if their 2016 guys can get out of an LOI if some sanctions come.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Love this pickup. Local talent with size and speed. He will get stronger and will either be a QB, or a WR. Maybe even a CB/S along the line? Sky is the limit.
Last edited by whatisee on Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Great size, athletic, and from Tucson. Great pickup
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Welcome Mr Dixon.

With his height, 6'4", I hope to see him ultimately contributing as a downfield receiver. Current receiving corps barely breaks 6' most of the time.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Las Vegas area Offensive Lineman commits to Cats. Edgar Burrola, with other offers from ASU and Idaho.

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I'm completely baffled. Completely.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Of course you are. You just post something cryptic so we can all ask you what you are talking about so I will bite?

What's wrong with a 6'6" 300 pound guy who is a little under the radar right now? I get we need higher level talent across the board but I am not sure the OLINE is a place of need right now
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Everyone on here knows what I'm talking about, Slick. The last two commits are walk ons. Wasted roster space. Those two couldn't even walk on at Oregon State. Come on. If you want to be a big dog you gotta get better than that. I have no problem with them walking on at all....just not two scholarships going out like that.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Hell, Rhett isn't good enough for a D1 scholarship. This isn't the Big East. You've got two good recruiters on staff. Use them.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well if these guys,are so good they better get some guys to committ. Got a bunch looking but they need to close stronger.

As for those last two guys, I am sure you are not talking about Dixon. I know there were a couple guys that were transferring in and I thought it was up in the air whether they would get scholarships?

I doubt Halimon or the kid from Florida with thd heart condition make it in so that opens a few scholies.

As for Rhett. I agree. RR should use the tuition waiver to expand thd roster, even if he was a top QB recruit IMO.

Think we should lay it all play out out and see who they ultimately INK. So I guess you are saying they should have passed on this latest kid(I have no clue how good ge is)
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Las Vegas area Offensive Lineman commits to Cats. Edgar Burrola, with other offers from ASU and Idaho.

Edgar Burrola does not have an offer from Arizona State.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

ASU in this case was Adams State University.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ALASKACAT wrote:ASU in this case was Adams State University.
And I thought you were joking, but you are indeed correct.

Go Atoms!

chiefzona wrote:Everyone on here knows what I'm talking about, Slick. The last two commits are walk ons. Wasted roster space. Those two couldn't even walk on at Oregon State. Come on. If you want to be a big dog you gotta get better than that. I have no problem with them walking on at all....just not two scholarships going out like that.

Maybe RichRod is tired of having "the best walk-on program in the nation".
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Drew Dixon is not walk on material Chief, that's just god damn stupid if that's what you're implying.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Edgar Burrola got rated a 3 star. That sounds like he would've eventually gotten offers from other schools and so would not be "walk-on" material. Time will only tell.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:Drew Dixon is not walk on material Chief, that's just god damn stupid if that's what you're implying.

Sure he is. He's not good enough as a QB. He is limited at WR. He wouldn't make a good RB and he hasn't played defense as far as I know. Is he athletic? Yes, but there are question marks. He will be a project at whatever position that staff wants to play him at.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UALoco wrote:Edgar Burrola got rated a 3 star. That sounds like he would've eventually gotten offers from other schools and so would not be "walk-on" material. Time will only tell.

He is too slow as a guard and has terrible feet for a tackle. He actually looked decent at NT. However, my opinion is that they could have got him as a preferred walk on instead of burning a scholie.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Drew Dixon is not walk on material Chief, that's just god damn stupid if that's what you're implying.

Sure he is. He's not good enough as a QB. He is limited at WR. He wouldn't make a good RB and he hasn't played defense as far as I know. Is he athletic? Yes, but there are question marks. He will be a project at whatever position that staff wants to play him at.
Of course you know more then a guy who has been to 3 BCS bowls and gets paid 3m a year. We should turn the program over to you slick
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azcat49 wrote:Of course you know more then a guy who has been to 3 BCS bowls and gets paid 3m a year. We should turn the program over to you slick
:lol:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Of course you know more then a guy who has been to 3 BCS bowls and gets paid 3m a year. We should turn the program over to you slick
Eh, I wouldn't want the head ache. It's more fun being an armchair HC. With all that aside, his player evaluations have left a lot to be desired. There are a lot of better guys available out there as far as 2017 guys are concerned. RR can't afford to have another down year because the other South programs are picking up recruiting steam. Nice use of slick. Made me laugh. :lol:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well I would think those evals are on the whole staff although RR has the final say. For every Phillips and, Grant you have a Cobb and Ware (although it appears a lot of people missed on them so maybe a poor analogy player wise).

Still, he has been pretty successful in his career and if he doesn't improve he will pay the ultimate price, giving up 3m a year at a school that is very, very patient
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

A good group of guys are headed to Tucson tomorrow and stopping by campus. The lesser known guys like 2017's Los Angeles HS QB Kaymen Cureton, Hamilton HS FS/WR Jacques Wilson, and Salesian WR Emari Smith, might get some looks with staff. Cureton is a SJSU commit with an Alabama and South Carolina offer. I spoke with him today and he said he hopes to get an offer from Arizona because he loves Donte. Cureton would be a very good fit. Wilson and Smith are track stars. Underrated with lots of potential. We'll see what happens.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:Everyone on here knows what I'm talking about, Slick. The last two commits are walk ons. Wasted roster space. Those two couldn't even walk on at Oregon State. Come on. If you want to be a big dog you gotta get better than that. I have no problem with them walking on at all....just not two scholarships going out like that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know you have to be disagreeing with the staff in some way at all times to feel normal, but come on. Dixon is anything, but walk on material. Kid has great size, is athletic, and from Tucson. How do you not take a kid like that. Could range anywhere from WR to LB to DB. He may be a project, but he's worth taking a shot at and worth a scholarship. Im also a big fan of recruiting QB's as Athletes. Georgia Tech makes a living on converting these guys because often they are the best athletes on the team. Burrolla camped with Arizona and is a 6'6 295 pound kid. I don't see any problem with taking a lineman from a state that some prospects don't get the looks they necessarily deserve. Could he amount to nothing? Sure, but a 6'6 295 pound kid isn't the worst way to waste a scholarship if it turns out that way.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:A good group of guys are headed to Tucson tomorrow and stopping by campus. The lesser known guys like 2017's Los Angeles HS QB Kaymen Cureton, Hamilton HS FS/WR Jacques Wilson, and Salesian WR Emari Smith, might get some looks with staff. Cureton is a SJSU commit with an Alabama and South Carolina offer. I spoke with him today and he said he hopes to get an offer from Arizona because he loves Donte. Cureton would be a very good fit. Wilson and Smith are track stars. Underrated with lots of potential. We'll see what happens.
Underrated because you said so? So I assume if we offer those guys and they committ that won't be a waste of a schollie. I am completely baffled
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know you have to be disagreeing with the staff in some way at all times to feel normal, but come on. Dixon is anything, but walk on material. Kid has great size, is athletic, and from Tucson. How do you not take a kid like that. Could range anywhere from WR to LB to DB. He may be a project, but he's worth taking a shot at and worth a scholarship. Im also a big fan of recruiting QB's as Athletes. Georgia Tech makes a living on converting these guys because often they are the best athletes on the team. Burrolla camped with Arizona and is a 6'6 295 pound kid. I don't see any problem with taking a lineman from a state that some prospects don't get the looks they necessarily deserve. Could he amount to nothing? Sure, but a 6'6 295 pound kid isn't the worst way to waste a scholarship if it turns out that way.
Oh, I stopped disagreeing once Casteel was fired. Haha. Dixon is not 6'4 for everyone's info. He is 6'1. So, let's put the size thing away quickly. I would never offer him so quickly when I have a Donte on staff and have much more talent that is higher on the board than Dixon. You say that he COULD range. One thing he is not is a QB and that's his primary position. I would have waited until later this year to do anything with him and not have him as such a high priority. There are kids that I got into Arizona camps who played against D1 talent every game, had no rating, and could run circles around Dixon while wearing shower shoes. So, you must think that Rhett warranted a scholie too? Burrola is terrible. He really is. He couldn't walk on at Oregon State right now. Arizona is not in a position to pussyfoot right now. The heat is on. Recruiting is of the essence and of the utmost priority and Arizona has two real damn good recruiters with big connections and good repoire.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:A good group of guys are headed to Tucson tomorrow and stopping by campus. The lesser known guys like 2017's Los Angeles HS QB Kaymen Cureton, Hamilton HS FS/WR Jacques Wilson, and Salesian WR Emari Smith, might get some looks with staff. Cureton is a SJSU commit with an Alabama and South Carolina offer. I spoke with him today and he said he hopes to get an offer from Arizona because he loves Donte. Cureton would be a very good fit. Wilson and Smith are track stars. Underrated with lots of potential. We'll see what happens.
Underrated because you said so? So I assume if we offer those guys and they committ that won't be a waste of a schollie. I am completely baffled

No. Underrated because Donte said so. Kaymen Cureton got offered by Alabama and South Carolina. All three play against D1 talent every game so it's easier to gauge what they can and can't do. Don't be completely baffled. It's not that bad. Haha
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I get where the indoor facility will go, but where are these extra practice fields going to be located??
I am hearing they are going to tear down the other side of the bleachers on the first base side since the third base ones are now down to make room for the new academic facility. Then they put the indoor facility on the corner and closer to the stadium to have it as an indoor tailgating place like Oregon and close to the current football facility.

Then they put a full length field behind the new academic center and put probably an 80 yard field next to it behind the current volleyball courts which cut into the old jimenez practice facility. It should all fit and I dream of that indoor facility every day.

U of A had their camp last weekend and it was like 110 degrees outside. Can you imagine the reaction from players if it was held in an indoor facility.

It is the one thing which can propel our entire athletic department forward and back to being a Top 10 Sears cup program as until we need to begin generating more revenue from football and the only way to do that is win more games and the only way to do that is consistently recruit top level players and the best way to do that is have great coaches AND top level facilities including overcoming the biggest obstacle that we have which is that its really HOT in tucson for 5 months out of the year!!!!

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know you have to be disagreeing with the staff in some way at all times to feel normal, but come on. Dixon is anything, but walk on material. Kid has great size, is athletic, and from Tucson. How do you not take a kid like that. Could range anywhere from WR to LB to DB. He may be a project, but he's worth taking a shot at and worth a scholarship. Im also a big fan of recruiting QB's as Athletes. Georgia Tech makes a living on converting these guys because often they are the best athletes on the team. Burrolla camped with Arizona and is a 6'6 295 pound kid. I don't see any problem with taking a lineman from a state that some prospects don't get the looks they necessarily deserve. Could he amount to nothing? Sure, but a 6'6 295 pound kid isn't the worst way to waste a scholarship if it turns

Oh, I stopped disagreeing once Casteel was fired. Haha. Dixon is not 6'4 for everyone's info. He is 6'1. So, let's put the size thing away quickly. I would never offer him so quickly when I have a Donte on staff and have much more talent that is higher on the board than Dixon. You say that he COULD range. One thing he is not is a QB and that's his primary position. I would have waited until later this year to do anything with him and not have him as such a high priority. There are kids that I got into Arizona camps who played against D1 talent every game, had no rating, and could run circles around Dixon while wearing shower shoes. So, you must think that Rhett warranted a scholie too? Burrola is terrible. He really is. He couldn't walk on at Oregon State right now. Arizona is not in a position to pussyfoot right now. The heat is on. Recruiting is of the essence and of the utmost priority and Arizona has two real damn good recruiters with big connections and good repoire.
So Greg Byrne is bringing the heat LOL. He is the 9nly guy who could. He will wait for the results and measure what he see's at practice which unfortunately you can't see. Such bullshit
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chief,

I normally am one of the only ones here who sometimes agrees with you but in the case of Dixon and Burrola I think you are wrong. Rhett, I agree with 100% as giving him a scholarship is a giant waste of one.

Dixon is 6'3, check out his testing results from a Nike Combine. My experience is the Nike Combines are pretty accurate. Now it does not get me jazzed we just took a WR who ran a 4.91 40 but his other measurements are decent so gives him an ok SPARQ rating. Like the Vertical leap at 33 and shuttle time is not terrible. However the guy is from Tucson and I think you always take a risk on a Tucson player because nothing pisses me off more then seeing guys like Aaron Tevis or Blake Martinez thrive in other programs when we should have the leg up since we are the home town team.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... drew-dixon

Regarding Burrola, yes its pathetic the guy does not even have an offer from UNLV and he is from Vegas but maybe the staff is thinking of greyshirting him? He also was quickly ranked a top 100 OT by 247 sports after he committed to us and they gave this assessment

http://247sports.com/Bolt/New-Arizona-c ... g-45723882

Could he suck sure, but again maybe the staff is going to greyshirt him. He is also 6'6 295 lbs and you can never coach size. From his videos it actually looks like he has good feet and can move well and still looks like he can bulk up.

If you are going to take a flyer, a Top 100 OT with legit size is not a bad flyer to take. While neither recruit is a world beater, I would not be so depressed about either one either
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

WSU only other PAC offer. No other power conference offers, SDSU, Nevada, CSU, SJSU and so on.

No Adams State on the list.

Peek of Drew Dixon
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know you have to be disagreeing with the staff in some way at all times to feel normal, but come on. Dixon is anything, but walk on material. Kid has great size, is athletic, and from Tucson. How do you not take a kid like that. Could range anywhere from WR to LB to DB. He may be a project, but he's worth taking a shot at and worth a scholarship. Im also a big fan of recruiting QB's as Athletes. Georgia Tech makes a living on converting these guys because often they are the best athletes on the team. Burrolla camped with Arizona and is a 6'6 295 pound kid. I don't see any problem with taking a lineman from a state that some prospects don't get the looks they necessarily deserve. Could he amount to nothing? Sure, but a 6'6 295 pound kid isn't the worst way to waste a scholarship if it turns

So Greg Byrne is bringing the heat LOL. He is the 9nly guy who could. He will wait for the results and measure what he see's at practice which unfortunately you can't see. Such bullshit
I'm thinking you're off your meds. Zero to do with Byrne. I'm talking about the other PAC 12 teams gaining steam while RR has taken off recruiting for the last few years. The pace needs to be picked up.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:Chief,

I normally am one of the only ones here who sometimes agrees with you but in the case of Dixon and Burrola I think you are wrong. Rhett, I agree with 100% as giving him a scholarship is a giant waste of one.

Dixon is 6'3, check out his testing results from a Nike Combine. My experience is the Nike Combines are pretty accurate. Now it does not get me jazzed we just took a WR who ran a 4.91 40 but his other measurements are decent so gives him an ok SPARQ rating. Like the Vertical leap at 33 and shuttle time is not terrible. However the guy is from Tucson and I think you always take a risk on a Tucson player because nothing pisses me off more then seeing guys like Aaron Tevis or Blake Martinez thrive in other programs when we should have the leg up since we are the home town team.

Regarding Burrola, yes its pathetic the guy does not even have an offer from UNLV and he is from Vegas but maybe the staff is thinking of greyshirting him? He also was quickly ranked a top 100 OT by 247 sports after he committed to us and they gave this assessment

Could he suck sure, but again maybe the staff is going to greyshirt him. He is also 6'6 295 lbs and you can never coach size. From his videos it actually looks like he has good feet and can move well and still looks like he can bulk up.

If you are going to take a flyer, a Top 100 OT with legit size is not a bad flyer to take. While neither recruit is a world beater, I would not be so depressed about either one either
Please keep disagreeing. Haha. Dixon is 6'3 in heels and runs a slower 40 than Anu. He got schooled today multiple times against the Cali kids. Burrola is just bad on film. He's more than a work in progress. It's just not there. 2 guys you could've had walk on while saving spots for guys higher up on the board which there are a lot. Recruiting 101....Don't blow your load on anything to early if you can get that kid later on.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:

Decent pick up. Only true receiver. Good hands and runs good routes.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ALASKACAT wrote:ASU in this case was Adams State University.

I think this guy (or was it Hingle McCringleberry?) went to Adams State:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Chief,

Please keep disagreeing. Haha. Dixon is 6'3 in heels and runs a slower 40 than Anu. He got schooled today multiple times against the Cali kids. Burrola is just bad on film. He's more than a work in progress. It's just not there. 2 guys you could've had walk on while saving spots for guys higher up on the board which there are a lot. Recruiting 101....Don't blow your load on anything to early if you can get that kid later on.

He was measured by a nike camp. That's a pretty damn accurate measurement in most cases. The kid plays QB and has never spent time at WR. Most likely a red-shirt guy, but after a couple of years he could be a pretty good receiver and RR has a good track record of developing WR. Burrolla might be bad on film, but it doesn't take away from the fact he did so well at the camp the coaching staff offered him immediately.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well that seals it. Dixon is the next Juron Criner and Burrola is the next Eben Britton. Thanks Chief!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chief

Jacques Wilson is listed at 5'11 and in that little clip above Drew Dixon looks to have 5 to 6 inches on him at least. So lets say Jacques is more like 5'9, then drew is at least 6'2. Again he was measured at a Nike Camp, the same camp where our newest recruit Brian Casteel (Listed at 6'1) was measured at 5'10.

Now he probably did get blasted today at that camp because the guy runs a 4.91 Forty which is terrible for a WR. But he could improve that and at 6'3 with a 33 inch vert he could be more of an outside throw up to WR so straight line speed is not as crucial.

How do you also say Burrola looks terrible on tape?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So we wasted another schollie today on a Long Beach Poly kid from Antonio Pierce ' s program. He is 6'1" 231. Should and could have walked on hey Chief. His name is Josh Brown
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Love seeing us opening the Long Beach Poly pipeline with Antonio there. Josh seems like a strong ILB commitment, Scout has him ranked #4 ILB on the West Coast and #29 overall which should even make Chief happy