2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by Newportcat »

catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Chief,

I normally am one of the only ones here who sometimes agrees with you but in the case of Dixon and Burrola I think you are wrong. Rhett, I agree with 100% as giving him a scholarship is a giant waste of one.

Dixon is 6'3, check out his testing results from a Nike Combine. My experience is the Nike Combines are pretty accurate. Now it does not get me jazzed we just took a WR who ran a 4.91 40 but his other measurements are decent so gives him an ok SPARQ rating. Like the Vertical leap at 33 and shuttle time is not terrible. However the guy is from Tucson and I think you always take a risk on a Tucson player because nothing pisses me off more then seeing guys like Aaron Tevis or Blake Martinez thrive in other programs when we should have the leg up since we are the home town team.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... drew-dixon

Regarding Burrola, yes its pathetic the guy does not even have an offer from UNLV and he is from Vegas but maybe the staff is thinking of greyshirting him? He also was quickly ranked a top 100 OT by 247 sports after he committed to us and they gave this assessment

http://247sports.com/Bolt/New-Arizona-c ... g-45723882

Could he suck sure, but again maybe the staff is going to greyshirt him. He is also 6'6 295 lbs and you can never coach size. From his videos it actually looks like he has good feet and can move well and still looks like he can bulk up.

If you are going to take a flyer, a Top 100 OT with legit size is not a bad flyer to take. While neither recruit is a world beater, I would not be so depressed about either one either
Please keep disagreeing. Haha. Dixon is 6'3 in heels and runs a slower 40 than Anu. He got schooled today multiple times against the Cali kids. Burrola is just bad on film. He's more than a work in progress. It's just not there. 2 guys you could've had walk on while saving spots for guys higher up on the board which there are a lot. Recruiting 101....Don't blow your load on anything to early if you can get that kid later on.

He was measured by a nike camp. That's a pretty damn accurate measurement in most cases. The kid plays QB and has never spent time at WR. Most likely a red-shirt guy, but after a couple of years he could be a pretty good receiver and RR has a good track record of developing WR. Burrolla might be bad on film, but it doesn't take away from the fact he did so well at the camp the coaching staff offered him immediately.
The thing about Burrola is he does not look bad on film at least to me. He looked like he could move and had a little bit of nastiness to him finishing blocks.

Watch the film and please tell me how he looks bad Chief

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2974350/highlights" target="_blank

It looks like there is limited film due to his high school not being the best thats why he transferred. Also again the coaches saw him in person and I trust our OL coach.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Only offers were front Ohio (not ST), New Mexico, UNLV and us. Has to be a walk on and forget what scout says, all that matters is what chief says.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Bryce Gilbert commits - long list of offers: Oregon State, Arizona State, Nebraska, Louisville, Illinois among the P5s.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Joshua Brown is a very solid pick up by staff. Very good ILB with speed, hands, instinct, and can lay the wood like no one's business. He is close with a few guys who he can sway toward Arizona's sidelines. Bryce Gilbert is a good pick up as well. Good size, hands, and finds ways to get open in space. Staff slam dunked two in a row here.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm sure you could have convinced them to walk on...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:I'm sure you could have convinced them to walk on...

Naw...just Dixon and Burrola. I would have saved those two offers for bigger fish. :D
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Donte's inferno!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Let's see how this goes. Just sharing data. Many are excited about recruiting class and many of the sites that do recruiting hyping the class. They're hyping because that's their business model (IMO). "Best class AZ history".

At some point we'll have to debate what was the best recruiting class in AZ history to know what a "best class in AZ history" is.

But rankings at this point carries little weight. Very little. I would doubt any of these sites would honestly tell you AZ will finish a top 10 or 20 ranked class (As AZ did in 2005/2006). Right now this class using Rivals and Scout look similar to RR's past AZ classes. Let's use Scout. AZ has a 3.00 star average for their 14 recruits.

That ranks 3rd lowest in pac12 right now. Rivals has AZ at 2.79 average. Also 3rd lowest. Teams don't go to the Rose Bowl with 3.00 or less recruit star average (just how it is. Wish it wasn't). Those same sites rankings will tell you that if you searched historical rankings. Recruiting sites can't get every recruit right, but those same sites show that teams well above 3.00 make it. Consistently. Team is important term here (IMO). Takes team with multiple/many number of high quality players to get you to Rose Bowl. Scooby Wright couldn't do it by himself. Right now at half way point (class size), AZ on par with what they did last year.

Per Scout under RR:
2017 3.0
2016 3.0
2015 2.96
2014 3.08
2013 2.88
2012 2.71

Not really about "Rose Bowl". More about the data and if AZ is improving on paper and how AZ competing in recruiting against other pac12 teams (or not). Maybe the 3.00 or little above is the AZ ceiling. The highest Stoops got was little over 3.30 - twice. But that didn't work out...
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Using average Star ranking is useless I think since there are so many three stars, on 247 Chacho Ulloa was a three star as was Jessie Britt (who was ranked 309th in his state). Whats impressive to me is that 11 of our 14 commits (13 not counting Rhett since I am still not convinced he will get a scholarship) are in the top 1000 HSers in the nation on 247. Last year we had 7 in our whole class, 2015 we had 8. In 2014 (our best class on paper under Rich Rod) we had 14 out of 32. We have not had half our class in the top 1000 since 2009 and I find it hard to picture (barring any major shake ups) us not topping that this year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Every study has shown that stars are a good indicator of success, with at least 4 and 5 star players.

Rivals is definitely weighting 3 stars way too much in the point total.

Rivals:

http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-football- ... igning-day" target="_blank

A five-star prospect is considered to be one of the nation's top 25-30 players, four star is a top 250-300 or so player, three-stars is a top 750 level player, two stars means the player is a mid-major prospect and one star means the player is not ranked.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Watching Bryce Gilbert's highlights reminds me a bit of Mark Andrews, no?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Brown is from a great family. If UCLA misses out on some other LB'ers, I'd expect them to push harder for him
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I think I coined this term a while back
JAX83

Post by JAX83 »

I believe this is the original tweet that started it. And a war with NE. :lol:
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

One concern I have with Rich Rod is his love of 5'7 WR's who weigh like 170lbs. Watching videos of guys like Bryce, Casteel, Wolma, and Dixon, it is apparent there is an effort to get more size at the WR and TE positions.

I am not sure of the competition Bryce Gilbert is playing against but that guy looked very strong, and fluid for a 6'5 230 LBS player. To get an instate guy like that with his offer list is big time.

I do not believe all 3 star recruits are the same so looking at amount of Top 1000 players we land is a better metric for evaluating class. Guys like Tony Fields and Bryce Gilbert are 3 star players but with big time offer lists. A guy like Rhett Rod is also a 3 star player when he should probably not be.

While from a star perspective this class looks like other Rich Rod classes, I think looking at the amount of Top 1000 players you can see it is a better class.

Love us hitting Cali, Vegas, and Arizona hard. That is where we should live and die and spend 90% of our time.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

JAX83 wrote:I believe this is the original tweet that started it. And a war with NE. :lol:
Not that it matters but four days before this I posted "CaliZona, pass it on" on TOS. :D

Eitherway, it is awesome to see GJ tweet this. Looks like he is locked in. #BearDown@CaliZona
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Sid

Post by Sid »

Crappy offer list: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State......

Our boys are doing work and I like it!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:Crappy offer list: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State......

Who are you talking about?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
Sid wrote:Crappy offer list: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State......

Need to recal the sarcasm meter Greg.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Need to recal the sarcasm meter Greg.
It broke talking politics today.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Walk on....chief
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I don't believe he was offered by Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:

Walk on....chief

Not a walk on. A legit commit.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:

I don't believe he was offered by Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State.
Well, Miami of Ohio is close isn't it? Also Mississippi State is correct.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Good offer list but a 5.22 40 with a 24 inch vert for a LB...lets hope he dramatically improves that before showing up on campus

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... ryce-brand
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Glad you said so. Guess he must be good now that YOU have confirmed it
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:Good offer list but a 5.22 40 with a 24 inch vert for a LB...lets hope he dramatically improves that before showing up on campus

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... ryce-brand

My guess is he plays at WDE. In the 4-2-5 that is the position where they choose a converted LB or OLB. He has enough burst for his size the be decent at that position while being able to put on some weight.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Glad you said so. Guess he must be good now that YOU have confirmed it

I haven't confirmed anything. I have only stated my opinions. Last I checked....this is a message board, right?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The program would be better if you weren't around it. Their some message board stuff for ya
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:The program would be better if you weren't around it. Their some message board stuff for ya

I didn't know that I was holding back the program. Interesting opinion.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

chiefzona wrote:Joshua Brown is a very solid pick up by staff. Very good ILB with speed, hands, instinct, and can lay the wood like no one's business. He is close with a few guys who he can sway toward Arizona's sidelines. Bryce Gilbert is a good pick up as well. Good size, hands, and finds ways to get open in space. Staff slam dunked two in a row here.
Make that three in a row
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:The program would be better if you weren't around it. Their some message board stuff for ya

I was speaking to one of the assistant coaches this spring and he said some dude on a message board was hurting the cred of the program...he didn't name any names. ;)
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I was speaking to one of the assistant coaches this spring and he said some dude on a message board was hurting the cred of the program...he didn't name any names. ;)

Well, recruiting is at an all-time high and staff is roping in Cali-Zona. ;)
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Joshua Brown is a very solid pick up by staff. Very good ILB with speed, hands, instinct, and can lay the wood like no one's business. He is close with a few guys who he can sway toward Arizona's sidelines. Bryce Gilbert is a good pick up as well. Good size, hands, and finds ways to get open in space. Staff slam dunked two in a row here.
Make that three in a row

All three are solid for sure.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

wyo-cat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

That's the thing that has bothered me about some of the dialogue here. On the old board, we used to say "Welcome to Arizona" when we heard of a commitment. Here, it seems like some posters want to denigrate the player's ability by stating they aren't good enough for a scholarship. The kids do read message boards and it doesn't seem to be a good idea to disrespect the hard work a kid puts in to get an offer.

Another thing: last year we lost commitments when our team was getting it's ass kicked bad. Sure hope we can hang on to these recruits this year.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

carcassdragger wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

That's the thing that has bothered me about some of the dialogue here. On the old board, we used to say "Welcome to Arizona" when we heard of a commitment. Here, it seems like some posters want to denigrate the player's ability by stating they aren't good enough for a scholarship. The kids do read message boards and it doesn't seem to be a good idea to disrespect the hard work a kid puts in to get an offer.

Another thing: last year we lost commitments when our team was getting it's ass kicked bad. Sure hope we can hang on to these recruits this year.
It's a message board not a state sponsored media board. No one reads this stuff. They're busy reading the Scout Premium board. Lol. Opinions are just that....opinions. Words. Just words. Don't lose sight of that. Also, these kids are tough. From day one they have coaches in their faces.

You always hope you can hang onto them but recruiting is a different animal who dances to the beat of a different drum.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Calling a kid who worked his butt off and achieved a D1 scholarship and is going to be a Wildcat "terrible" is extremely poor form, no matter where/how it's said or whether the middle-age loser who said it knows what he's talking about or not.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Calling a kid who worked his butt off and achieved a D1 scholarship and is going to be a Wildcat "terrible" is extremely poor form, no matter where/how it's said or whether the middle-age loser who said it knows what he's talking about or not.

Terrible feet and footwork. I personally don't think he's good enough for a D1 scholie but guess what? He will have one anyway. Scouts have to be honest everyday about the product they are watching as do the coaches who are investing. You'd be shocked at what is really said. Hell, there are scouts on Twitter who are ruthless. I've always been told behind closed doors that my honesty is commendable and that's even with people inside the program. I'll never stop being me and anyone who knows me, knows this is a true statement. I could care less what you think. Reach down and grab a hold.....Beardown.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

My take on recruiting is the staff knows their needs and their jobs are on the line if they don't meet the needs. So if they are cool with offering any player and back it up with their jobs and future in the profession, I'm cool with it. They know more about it than I do.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:Calling a kid who worked his butt off and achieved a D1 scholarship and is going to be a Wildcat "terrible" is extremely poor form, no matter where/how it's said or whether the middle-age loser who said it knows what he's talking about or not.

Terrible feet and footwork. I personally don't think he's good enough for a D1 scholie but guess what? He will have one anyway. Scouts have to be honest everyday about the product they are watching as do the coaches who are investing. You'd be shocked at what is really said. Hell, there are scouts on Twitter who are ruthless. I've always been told behind closed doors that my honesty is commendable and that's even with people inside the program. I'll never stop being me and anyone who knows me, knows this is a true statement. I could care less what you think. Reach down and grab a hold.....Beardown.
You really don't think this is still all about you, right?

Be critical all you want of the staff's recruiting decisions based on actual need--goodness knows the Rhett Rodriguez decision opened that door--but singling out incoming college recruits for open, unfiltered public criticism is at best irresponsible and at worst unfair.

But it's your credibility that's most at risk here, chief. You're not posting as a scout here; as you said, you're just an anonymous poster on a free message board.

So like it or not, you're putting chips on these kids' shoulders you won't be able to take credit for later if they prove you wrong.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:My take on recruiting is the staff knows their needs and their jobs are on the line if they don't meet the needs. So if they are cool with offering any player and back it up with their jobs and future in the profession, I'm cool with it. They know more about it than I do.

They have struck out many times in RR's tenure as well as home runs and some average stuff I between. Why? Because recruiting and coaching are both not exact sciences. That's what makes it fun. Recruiting at Arizona is getting better and is definitely on the right track. Why? RR brought in some people who know what they're doing. Doesn't mean more mistakes wont be made....but it should be a fun ride.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catgrad97 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

You really don't think this is still all about you, right?

Be critical all you want of the staff's recruiting decisions based on actual need--goodness knows the Rhett Rodriguez decision opened that door--but singling out incoming college recruits for open, unfiltered public criticism is at best irresponsible and at worst unfair.

But it's your credibility that's most at risk here, chief. You're not posting as a scout here; as you said, you're just an anonymous poster on a free message board.

So like it or not, you're putting chips on these kids' shoulders you won't be able to take credit for later if they prove you wrong.

I think that you're thinking a bit too hard about it but I respect your opinion. I don't get paid for my opinion so it's just a guy named Chief who is giving his opinion just like everyone else. I hardly post on here and don't need credit for anything at all. I made a statement about two kids who I thought the staff should've asked to walk on. That's it and that's all. This board is free and hardly anyone reads it except us guys. Relax.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:Terrible feet and footwork.
Liar...
chiefzona wrote:Burrola is terrible. He really is.
chiefzona wrote:I've always been told behind closed doors that my honesty is commendable
I'm sure you've also been told that penis size doesn't matter . . . behind closed doors of course.
chiefzona wrote:I could care less what you think.
Must be why you rushed to respond.

The next time you call an incoming recruit "terrible" or something similar, I'm editing your post to delete it. Don't like it? Take your bullshit to another site (that hasn't gotten sick of your overinflated crap yet).

Constructive criticism is fine. Mentioning what a kid needs to improve on is great. Calling a future Wildcat "terrible" is complete and utter bullshit coming from a guy who claims to be as on the inside as you do.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Terrible feet and footwork.
Liar...
chiefzona wrote:Burrola is terrible. He really is.
chiefzona wrote:I've always been told behind closed doors that my honesty is commendable
I'm sure you've also been told that penis size doesn't matter . . . behind closed doors of course.
chiefzona wrote:I could care less what you think.
Must be why you rushed to respond.

The next time you call an incoming recruit "terrible" or something similar, I'm editing your post to delete it. Don't like it? Take your bullshit to another site (that hasn't gotten sick of your overinflated crap yet).

Constructive criticism is fine. Mentioning what a kid needs to improve on is great. Calling a future Wildcat "terrible" is complete and utter bullshit coming from a guy who claims to be as on the inside as you do.
Whatever you feel is just and deserving is fine with me. Penis size? How is that relevant here. Haha. I'm on the inside? I thought I was always on the outside looking in. Beardown Chicat. :D
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote:[Constructive criticism is fine. Mentioning what a kid needs to improve on is great. Calling a future Wildcat "terrible" is complete and utter bullshit coming from a guy who claims to be as on the inside as you do.
Damn, what a great post!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote
[Constructive criticism is fine. Mentioning what a kid needs to improve on is great. Calling a future Wildcat "terrible" is complete and utter bullshit coming from a guy who claims to be as on the inside as you do

I did state that he isn't a bad NT. He probably would be a better NT than he would on the OL. That might be what staff is thinking. Lol. He needs to improve on footwork and speed. I'm sure staff will have him doing that right outta the gate. Where's this inside claiming thing coming from? Inside of what?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

[quote="chiefzona Where's this inside claiming thing coming from? Inside of what?[/quote]

Oh my god. Really?