Thoughts on a 7-6 season Rich Rod Year 4

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Thoughts on a 7-6 season Rich Rod Year 4

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:Great logical comeback ASUHATER.

You keep believing that we can make a Rose Bowl with average/below average PAC 12 recruiting classes, basically no NFL talent along the OL and DL, and a terrible 3-3-5 defense....good luck with that. Let me know how that goes.

The time is right for Rich Rod to produce next year given it is year 5, he has all his recruits in, everyone knows the system, we get a bye etc but I will believe it when I see it. I am not buying into any optimism about Arizona Football anymore.
I am not sure yet whether I see much reason for optimism next season either, but your idea that the only achievement worthy of celebration is a Conference championship (stop with the 'Rose bowl' talk please - it is no longer applicable) is ridiculous.

8+ wins in the regular season including a win over empTe, with a bowl win to follow (it would be a legitimate one), would make this Cat fan very happy. Not sure I think that is in the cards, but it is not out of the question either.

At least not yet... from where I sit.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I really miss having a good defense. A top 50 defense would entail 375 total yards and less than 25 points given up a game. That should be doable for a P5 team.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Holding Coach Rod accountable for an underperforming defense and keeping Coach Casteel is more than fair. I'm personally willing to give them more time due to the massive number of injuries this year, but I certainly understand the frustration and the fans that want change now. Just look what Washington is doing with their defense in year 2 under Peterson.
Watching the Sun Bowl, and seeing how effectively Washington State's defense is playing against Miami is frustrating given Leach's reputation for all offense. Why can't we try at defense too? I think the Cougar's DC is a UA guy to boot. :cry:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Speaking of the Sun Bowl, that would be worthwhile season goal for next season. El Paso is within, what (?) a 5 to 6 hour drive from 75% of the Wildcat's fanbase spread across PHX and Tucson. We'll bring the fans as long as our biggest OOC basketball home game isn't on the same night, again.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Defintely need to upgrade our bowl next season. The NM bowl is a bowl that has the second lowest payout of all the bowls. Just flat out embarrassing to be lumped with all these teams in bowls that pay put less than 1m. I Think we were the only P5 team in those level of bowls.

We have not been in the Sun Bowl since 85 and that game was one of the highest attendance games in Sun Bowl history with over 52K. Would be a nice step up for us.
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:
Holding Coach Rod accountable for an underperforming defense and keeping Coach Casteel is more than fair. I'm personally willing to give them more time due to the massive number of injuries this year, but I certainly understand the frustration and the fans that want change now. Just look what Washington is doing with their defense in year 2 under Peterson.
Watching the Sun Bowl, and seeing how effectively Washington State's defense is playing against Miami is frustrating given Leach's reputation for all offense. Why can't we try at defense too? I think the Cougar's DC is a UA guy to boot. :cry:

Grinch is not an Arizona guy. This is his first year as a DC and he is also the DB coach.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

azcat49 wrote:Defintely need to upgrade our bowl next season. The NM bowl is a bowl that has the second lowest payout of all the bowls. Just flat out embarrassing to be lumped with all this teams in bowls that pay put less than 1m. I Th I k we were the only P5 team in those level of bowls.

We have notbeenin the Sun Bowl since 85 and that game was one of the highest attendance games in Sun Bowl history with over 52K. Would be a nice step up for us
1985 was also our first bowl under Smith and first since the '79 Fiesta. We were long overdue and people were genuinely excited. I'm sorry, but I can't get excited if our ceiling next year is a trip to El Paso.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Cats were in the Sun Bowl in '92. Lost to Baylor.

Sun Bowl would be an easy drive for me. I live on the east side of town by I-10 and it would be a 12 hljr day for me to drive, watch the game, and go home. Hell, I spent 10 hours (crazy traffic) on the Fiesta Bowl last year.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Last year's Fiesta Bowl had some ridiculous traffic. We sat parked on the road not 50 feet from the parking lot for almost 2 hours on the way in. Fortunately I was not driving, so I was tripping balls on some homemade THC cookies, so I really didn't gaf.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

With many schools, it's about how the recruiting and team performance progresses years to years. Obvious the AZ defense dominates most of the weak link discussion. It should and it is obvious. There are some that throw out the injury debate for some cover, but most aware the defense weak or poor since RR arrived.

Stoops started off with losing conference records first 3 years, went 1-3 against the rival and took lots of heat. Then Stoops recruiting took hold, Stoops teams started having winning P12 records for couple years. He progressed. Bought some time. Then the slide.

I read about how Lute and CSM flirted with other schools and stayed and fans should be ok with RR doing same. I agree, but doesn't mean fans shouldn't apply expectations. Reasonable expectations.

I'm convinced if Lute or CSM flirted, stayed and began to have losing P12 records, not make the tournament or maybe make NIT for couple years after they flirted and stayed, fans would have been applying hot seat talk about them too. It's about progress ,what have you done lately and keeping up with your competition.

RR and Casteel are highly ranked in compensation for their roles within P12. They should be held to a standard that equates.

Why continue to pay them top P12 money for losing conference records, poorly ranked defense and lower tier Bowls on a consistent basis? Because they went to 4 straight bowls? Won more games in 4 year period? yea, maybe if NEZ didn't happen or they weren't making the money they were making. They're getting paid that to achieve. Donors given the view of achieving.

And I doubt that view is finishing mid to near the bottom of P12 for majority of a ones tenure. Even AZ admin slightly admits the weak OOC schedule in play for awhile to help RR get some solid footing. You can only boast 4-5 or 3-6 P12 records for so long. You can only sell that for so long. They're selling for a reason. If they try to sell that with no progress and with that pay and donations with mediocrity as a consistency, then focus should turn on the decision makers. Those in charge. Just like RR the decision maker surrounding Casteel (Buck Stops), so is Byrne for RR. Fans pretty smart and intuitive. RR went 7-2 one season and was praised...

Great! He should have been. You win like that and fans should praise the coaches. Same goes for multiple losing P12 records. Personally feel it should apply both ways. Not one losing P12 record by the way. Multiple of them before angst creeps in.

P12 is a tough conference to compete in. Schools look for progress. Donors and fans too. Risk / Reward when you get paid like they do. Should be that way
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

chiefzona wrote:
Grinch is not an Arizona guy. This is his first year as a DC and he is also the DB coach.
I was instead thinking of Joe Salave'a. He's a UA alum and former player listed as DL & Assistant HC at WSU.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:With many schools, it's about how the recruiting and team performance progresses years to years. Obvious the AZ defense dominates most of the weak link discussion. It should and it is obvious. There are some that throw out the injury debate for some cover, but most aware the defense weak or poor since RR arrived.

Stoops started off with losing conference records first 3 years, went 1-3 against the rival and took lots of heat. Then Stoops recruiting took hold, Stoops teams started having winning P12 records for couple years. He progressed. Bought some time. Then the slide.

I read about how Lute and CSM flirted with other schools and stayed and fans should be ok with RR doing same. I agree, but doesn't mean fans shouldn't apply expectations. Reasonable expectations.

I'm convinced if Lute or CSM flirted, stayed and began to have losing P12 records, not make the tournament or maybe make NIT for couple years after they flirted and stayed, fans would have been applying hot seat talk about them too. It's about progress ,what have you done lately and keeping up with your competition.

RR and Casteel are highly ranked in compensation for their roles within P12. They should be held to a standard that equates.

Why continue to pay them top P12 money for losing conference records, poorly ranked defense and lower tier Bowls on a consistent basis? Because they went to 4 straight bowls? Won more games in 4 year period? yea, maybe if NEZ didn't happen or they weren't making the money they were making. They're getting paid that to achieve. Donors given the view of achieving.

And I doubt that view is finishing mid to near the bottom of P12 for majority of a ones tenure. Even AZ admin slightly admits the weak OOC schedule in play for awhile to help RR get some solid footing. You can only boast 4-5 or 3-6 P12 records for so long. You can only sell that for so long. They're selling for a reason. If they try to sell that with no progress and with that pay and donations with mediocrity as a consistency, then focus should turn on the decision makers. Those in charge. Just like RR the decision maker surrounding Casteel (Buck Stops), so is Byrne for RR. Fans pretty smart and intuitive. RR went 7-2 one season and was praised...

Great! He should have been. You win like that and fans should praise the coaches. Same goes for multiple losing P12 records. Personally feel it should apply both ways. Not one losing P12 record by the way. Multiple of them before angst creeps in.

P12 is a tough conference to compete in. Schools look for progress. Donors and fans too. Risk / Reward when you get paid like they do. Should be that way
^^^ This.

All of it.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:

You keep believing that we can make a Rose Bowl with average/below average PAC 12 recruiting classes, basically no NFL talent along the OL and DL, and a terrible 3-3-5 defense....good luck with that. Let me know how that goes.

The time is right for Rich Rod to produce next year given it is year 5, he has all his recruits in, everyone knows the system, we get a bye etc but I will believe it when I see it. I am not buying into any optimism about Arizona Football anymore.
I am not sure yet whether I see much reason for optimism next season either, but your idea that the only achievement worthy of celebration is a Conference championship (stop with the 'Rose bowl' talk please - it is no longer applicable) is ridiculous.

8+ wins in the regular season including a win over empTe, with a bowl win to follow (it would be a legitimate one), would make this Cat fan very happy. Not sure I think that is in the cards, but it is not out of the question either.

I would agree that a 8+ win season beating ASU and a win in legit Bowl Game is a successful season and something to be happy about if you believe that will set us up to make a Rose Bowl the following year. I believe success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal. Thats why this season was frustrating as we reverted back to typical Arizona football, losing record in the Pac-12, lose to ASU, etc.

We have to take the 8+ win season, beating ASU, and winning a legit bowl game step next year or else it will look like we are not improving under Rich Rod and the chances of us making a rose bowl anytime soon will be slim. I loved CHICAT's letter to Rich Rod as completely agreed with it.

Could it happen next year, sure of course it could, will it, I think chances are doubtful especially without major changes on the defense side of the ball. We were AWFUL on defense this year and lose our two best DL, best LB, and two best Safety's. We are also not bringing in any world beater defensive recruits that I can see.

I also will never be completely happy with our program until we get over the hump and make a Rose Bowl. That will define our program. We have those defining moments in Basketball, Baseball, Softball, etc but not Football. Its sad and pathetic and I will never be content as a fan of the U of A program until we have a season worthy of a Banner. Because to me in sports Banners are all that Matter. Maybe I am a whiny B*tch like some have implied but thats simply how I feel.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I would agree that a 8+ win season beating ASU and a win in legit Bowl Game is a successful season and something to be happy about if you believe that will set us up to make a Rose Bowl the following year. I believe success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal. Thats why this season was frustrating as we reverted back to typical Arizona football, losing record in the Pac-12, lose to ASU, etc.

We have to take the 8+ win season, beating ASU, and winning a legit bowl game step next year or else it will look like we are not improving under Rich Rod and the chances of us making a rose bowl anytime soon will be slim. I loved CHICAT's letter to Rich Rod as completely agreed with it.

Could it happen next year, sure of course it could, will it, I think chances are doubtful especially without major changes on the defense side of the ball. We were AWFUL on defense this year and lose our two best DL, best LB, and two best Safety's. We are also not bringing in any world beater defensive recruits that I can see.

I also will never be completely happy with our program until we get over the hump and make a Rose Bowl. That will define our program. We have those defining moments in Basketball, Baseball, Softball, etc but not Football. Its sad and pathetic and I will never be content as a fan of the U of A program until we have a season worthy of a Banner. Because to me in sports Banners are all that Matter. Maybe I am a whiny B*tch like some have implied but thats simply how I feel.
I can appreciate noteworthy accomplishments even if they fall short of achieving our ultimate goal.

Which will be met when we win an outright conference championship, and whatever postseason appearance that accompanies it. A Rose Bowl by itself does not get the monkey of our back unless it comes after winning a P12 championship game; it does not mean what it used to.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Fine yes, when I say Rose Bowl I mean winning the PAC 12 Championship game as you are right the Rose Bowl is different now. Under Rich Rod, thats all thats left to accomplish thats noteworthy. We have made the game, now we have to win it. Anything short of that in my opinion, is not moving forward. Now if we come back next year and do what you mentioned, sure happy and content but again my first thought is OK next year we need to take the next step and get the monkey off our back.

At the end of the day, with our current defensive scheme, I think the chances are very small we make the PAC 12 championship game again under Rich Rod
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azcat49 wrote:Defintely need to upgrade our bowl next season. The NM bowl is a bowl that has the second lowest payout of all the bowls. Just flat out embarrassing to be lumped with all these teams in bowls that pay put less than 1m. I Think we were the only P5 team in those level of bowls.
Not sure if this has been brought up at all, but has anyone else noticed that in four years of going to bowls under RichRod Arizona Football has not qualified for a single P12 conference tie-in Bowl? Holiday, Vegas, Sun, etc? Granted the Fiesta last year was better than any of those, and as I typed that I remember the 2012-13 New Mexico was a bottom level P12 ti-in, but still. Take out the Fiesta and it's the New Mexico, an out of place Independance, and the New Mexico again. At least we won all three trips.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Starting to think that RR flirtation is going to hurt more than I initially thought. Football recruiting is a viciously competitive game, and any weakness is going to be exposed. You know every recruiter is gonna be like why go to Arizona when RR is going to bolt in a year or two? Ug. Somehow that didn't affect Miller any, he came through just fine with some monster classes. But this feels different. In the next year or two, when his kids are out of hs and college, RR HAS to have a 9 win season or else his seat will be so hot his pants will be on fire.

bump...see above
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

how 'bout a 1-3 win season in year 5?
Sid

Post by Sid »

scumdevils86 wrote:how 'bout a 1-3 win season in year 5?
One positive, we might actually keep all of our recruits as immediate playing time next season is available at EVERY fucking position!

Pathetic.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I have a lot of thoughts on year 5.... Maybe he should be in South Carolina. He gets to a bowl this year, I'll delete this post faster than I drank this shot
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Gilbertcat wrote:I have a lot of thoughts on year 5.... Maybe he should be in South Carolina. He gets to a bowl this year, I'll delete this post faster than I drank this shot
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thoughts on 2nd game:

1) If Grambling doesn't lose its starting QB we LOSE........period
2) The OL has taken a huge step back since last year (Maiva and Bundage were two of the top 3 OL's)....and we have failed
to recruit adequate replacements. Eldridge is being physically overwhelmed and Debeer/Tagaloa have feet of stone. I swear
that a 90 year old woman with a walker could get around Tagaloa on the pass rush
3) Greg Hansen was RIGHT about the defense.......unfortunately
4) The talent level under RRod has gone down every year since he replaced Stoops. This is the root cause of the
issues we are currently experiencing and its not going to improve anytime soon.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Points 2 and 4 are spot on. Can't believe we are going to waste millions to retain this guy.

It's no wonder he wanted out which upsets me more. He stayed but only because no one else would buy the sh*t he was shoveling.

Won't happen but it wouldn't bother Me in the least if they cut him loose. It's only business and let's use those dollars for someone else. 40k in the stands next week tops. Oh and BTW, ASSU put up 68 and if he goes 1-4 against them he needs to be fired
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Well I am confident in saying we are not making a Rose Bowl this year...DMJ, you are completely right. If their QB stays healthy, we lose that game for sure. No question about it.

This is what happens when you do not recruit consistently well especially along the OL and DL's.

#OKGS

If we lose to ASU again this year, Rich Rod should be fired for sure. 1 & 4 against ASU is unacceptable. By the end of this year he could be 2-13 against UCLA, USC, and ASU.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Cosign on the above.

RR is a smart guy, he has to know that our talent is not where he would like it to be. But he keeps polishing the turd because our fanbase will buy it.

It is all business. If RR can look for better offers, so can we. As it stands now RRs lack of recruiting has set our program back another 3-4 years. Shit season this year doesn't do anything to speed up that cycle.

Again, RR best years are behind him. Send him back to the broadcast booth. Hire les miles.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

There will be no better offers. Every midwest and east coast AD went to bed with the Cats down 21-3 to Grambling, with their QB hurt. Not one person thinks the UA could have beat Grambling if Kinkade didn't get hurt.
Newportcat wrote: If we lose to ASU again this year, Rich Rod should be fired for sure. 1 & 4 against ASU is unacceptable. By the end of this year he could be 2-13 against UCLA, USC, and ASU.
Outside of the pretty good 2014 season*, RR has not had a team finish being ranked since 2007 with WVU.

His UM days showed us he couldn't beat rivals, 0-6 v. tOSU and MSU.

*- How could that team beat the Ducks on their turf, then come and get completely destroyed in the PAC championship game? Besides the BSU bowl loss.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Not one person thinks the UA could have beat Grambling if Kinkade didn't get hurt.
Scheer does. There is a thread on Scout premium discussing that very subject.

Backup came in and went 6/6 and led the last drive of the first half when they scored their third TD.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote: Not one person thinks the UA could have beat Grambling if Kinkade didn't get hurt.

Backup came in and went 6/6 and led the last drive of the first half when they scored their third TD.
Interesting. Cats were on their heels end of the first half more or less in shock how bad they were playing.

Kincade could handle a little bit of pressure, Cherry could not.

What does Scheer think the Cats would have done differently if Kincade was still in there?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Interesting. Cats were on their heels end of the first half more or less in shock how bad they were playing.

Kincade could handle a little bit of pressure, Cherry could not.

What does Scheer think the Cats would have done differently if Kincade was still in there?
Cherry was in at QB when the Cats were on their heels as you say.

Kincade got hurt running away from pressure. He threw 3 picks against an NAIA school last week. He had a good half, doesn't mean the Cats couldn't make adjustments. Good QB, not unbeatable though.

I never thought we were going to lose. FBS teams almost always wear down the FCS team that jumps out to a lead in the second half due to their depth.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: I never thought we were going to lose. FBS teams almost always wear down the FCS team that jumps out to a lead in the second half due to their depth.
I work at a FCS school very close to the stadium and football offices. I walk by players all the time. I have to say that after going to the UA that there is no way these players can keep up the whole game being so undersized against the bigger Power 5 schools.

Cal Poly gave ASU a few good quarters last year, but wore down like you said.

I thought the same thing with GSU. Until they said that the GSU OL outweighs the UA DL by 40 pounds per play.

Plus we saw how fast the GSU receivers were. During the game I was going that a FCS school has bigger AND faster players?

Wasn't there a series:

1. GSU TD called back for holding
2. GSU TD pass dropped
3. GSU TD
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:There will be no better offers. Every midwest and east coast AD went to bed with the Cats down 21-3 to Grambling, with their QB hurt. Not one person thinks the UA could have beat Grambling if Kinkade didn't get hurt.
Newportcat wrote: If we lose to ASU again this year, Rich Rod should be fired for sure. 1 & 4 against ASU is unacceptable. By the end of this year he could be 2-13 against UCLA, USC, and ASU.
Outside of the pretty good 2014 season*, RR has not had a team finish being ranked since 2007 with WVU.

His UM days showed us he couldn't beat rivals, 0-6 v. tOSU and MSU.

*- How could that team beat the Ducks on their turf, then come and get completely destroyed in the PAC championship game? Besides the BSU bowl loss.
He could be 2-19 against his main rivals at UM and U of A (I might be biased being from SoCal but I would call USC, ASU, and UCLA our main rivals). Thats pathetic.

Stoops was 9-12, 11-13 if you counted his last year in 2011 against USC, ASU, and UCLA. Thats not bad especially considering those were the days USC was absolutely rolling and almost unbeatable. We also were competitive in many of those games even against USC.

That U of A team did not deserve to be ranked in the Top 25 at the end of 2014 after that performance against Oregon in the PAC 12 championship game. If I recall, Oregon was missing some guys on the Offensive and Defensive lines against us during the regular season and when we played them again they were pissed and healthy and absolutely destroyed us.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

All I can say is that at least we're not Northwestern this year (0-2 with home losses to Western Michigan and Illinois State).
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:Well I am confident in saying we are not making a Rose Bowl this year...DMJ, you are completely right. If their QB stays healthy, we lose that game for sure. No question about it.

This is what happens when you do not recruit consistently well especially along the OL and DL's.

#OKGS

If we lose to ASU again this year, Rich Rod should be fired for sure. 1 & 4 against ASU is unacceptable. By the end of this year he could be 2-13 against UCLA, USC, and ASU.
I see your point, but I REALLY don't want to turn into that SEC type of fanbase that wants to fire their coach after the first hiccup (Auburn, MSU, South Carolina). Even those program go through necessary down seasons.

I haven't mailed it in on this season yet - but I am coming to terms with this being one of those clunker season we hit every five years before hopefully reeling off a string of winning years. Let's get through this season and see where we're at afterward.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

More people would feel that he has deserved to stay through the rough patch if the flirtation with every school back east didn't take place last year. I know most of the time its the agent who floats it out there but he could have put a stop to it. Now people have a short temper. Kinda like being cheated on, you can never fully trust that person again.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Well I am confident in saying we are not making a Rose Bowl this year...DMJ, you are completely right. If their QB stays healthy, we lose that game for sure. No question about it.

#OKGS

I see your point, but I REALLY don't want to turn into that SEC type of fanbase that wants to fire their coach after the first hiccup (Auburn, MSU, South Carolina). Even those program go through necessary down seasons.

I haven't mailed it in on this season yet - but I am coming to terms with this being one of those clunker season we hit every five years before hopefully reeling off a string of winning years. Let's get through this season and see where we're at afterward.
SEC fanbases are irrational for sure but I said he should be fired if he loses to ASU as he will be 1 & 4 against them. I think that is very rational and fair. I think any U of A football coach should after 5 years won at least 2 games against ASU to keep his job. If I said before Rich Rod got hired at the end of Year 5 he would be 1 & 4 against ASU and 1 & 7 vs UCLA and USC I am pretty sure 99% of fans back when he was hired would say he should be fired as we gave him 5 years.

Now if Rich Rod pulls off the miracle and we end this season beating ASU and finishing with a winning record, no I of course don't think he should be fired. But if the first two games are any indication, that is very very doubtful.

I also think Rich Rod has shown he is willing to look and interview at other jobs which does not build a lot of loyalty for me towards him. I am not sure even Todd Graham has done that in his time at ASU. U of A has given Rich Rod more money and better facilities then any previous Head Coach by far and does not seem to be the same loyalty coming back.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gilbertcat wrote:More people would feel that he has deserved to stay through the rough patch if the flirtation with every school back east didn't take place last year. I know most of the time its the agent who floats it out there but he could have put a stop to it. Now people have a short temper. Kinda like being cheated on, you can never fully trust that person again.
I'm just not sure how the fan base can look at other options and get mad at RR for doing the same. Neither side is in this for love. Fans, we want success. RR wants stuff too.

I was at the Grambling game, and am as down in the wake of that as I've been during RR's tenure, but the situation is still business.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'm just not sure how the fan base can look at other options and get mad at RR for doing the same. Neither side is in this for love. Fans, we want success. RR wants stuff too.

I was at the Grambling game, and am as down in the wake of that as I've been during RR's tenure, but the situation is still business.

That is true, even Lute flirted with UK. However, it came to a point for him when he said "I love Tucson and the UA and I'm staying" and that's it. Remember when Livengood hired Mike Stoops who was never a head coach, and come to find out he was paying Stoops more than Lute who had a National Championship? Had to give Lute a raise.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That is true, even Lute flirted with UK. However, it came to a point for him when he said "I love Tucson and the UA and I'm staying" and that's it. Remember when Livengood hired Mike Stoops who was never a head coach, and come to find out he was paying Stoops more than Lute who had a National Championship? Had to give Lute a raise.
Yeah, I just don't think we command that loyalty in football. Basketball wise, we have a top ten program with the best fan support on the west coast. Football wise, we're basically a desert version of Oregon State. I think our job ranks top ten in our twelve team conference, but we cannot offer what we can in basketball.

It would be nice to have that loyalty, but as a program, it's not odd to think both sides of the marriage imagine someone else in bed on occasion.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

True, we are not a very attractive job for a head football coach as we have many structural problems that do not exist for our other sports like Basketball or Baseball. In both those sports, difficult to see outside of more money or wanting to be a pro coach why we would ever lose a coach at this point as we have proven you can compete at the highest levels there, have top level facilities and fan support and most importantly no reason you can not consistently attract top level recruits as history has proven its possible.

I do not fault Rich Rod for looking around but does not endear me to him especially after last year. If he looked around after 2014, I get that but to look around after we had a very average season seemed like he really was not in it for the long haul here. Miller at least looked around after making an elite 8 and been zero talk about him looking since.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Newportcat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

#OKGS

SEC fanbases are irrational for sure but I said he should be fired if he loses to ASU as he will be 1 & 4 against them. I think that is very rational and fair. I think any U of A football coach should after 5 years won at least 2 games against ASU to keep his job. If I said before Rich Rod got hired at the end of Year 5 he would be 1 & 4 against ASU and 1 & 7 vs UCLA and USC I am pretty sure 99% of fans back when he was hired would say he should be fired as we gave him 5 years.

Now if Rich Rod pulls off the miracle and we end this season beating ASU and finishing with a winning record, no I of course don't think he should be fired. But if the first two games are any indication, that is very very doubtful.

I also think Rich Rod has shown he is willing to look and interview at other jobs which does not build a lot of loyalty for me towards him. I am not sure even Todd Graham has done that in his time at ASU. U of A has given Rich Rod more money and better facilities then any previous Head Coach by far and does not seem to be the same loyalty coming back.
You must be mistake on what wrote about winning against certain teams, This year we probably wont even beat those three team. USC and UCLA that out of the question. ASU, We might not win this game and I care less about RR record against them at this point. If you want to fired him over a rival record. That should define of what he has done for Arizona football program but hey were two game in and your already drop the damn ball about if he doesn't win against them then he should be fire give me break.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

You can imagine where UA is.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

cordera89 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

#OKGS

You must be mistake on what wrote about winning against certain teams, This year we probably wont even beat those three team. USC and UCLA that out of the question. ASU, We might not win this game and I care less about RR record against them at this point. If you want to fired him over a rival record. That should define of what he has done for Arizona football program but hey were two game in and your already drop the damn ball about if he doesn't win against them then he should be fire give me break.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

LOL. Solid post, Newport. No shit.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

If we lose to ASu this year then RR is sipping mohito's on the beach next season. At least that's how I'd look at it. I don't think he gets fired this season unless we finish in the 4-8 range with losses to every major conference opponent.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:If we lose to ASu this year then RR is sipping mohito's on the beach next season. At least that's how I'd look at it. I don't think he gets fired this season unless we finish in the 4-8 range with losses to every major conference opponent.
Only way he gets fired this year is if we win 1-2 games total. 3-4 wins and he's on the hot seat next year. 5+ wins and he's safe until 2018.

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

ASUHATER! wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:If we lose to ASu this year then RR is sipping mohito's on the beach next season. At least that's how I'd look at it. I don't think he gets fired this season unless we finish in the 4-8 range with losses to every major conference opponent.
Only way he gets fired this year is if we win 1-2 games total. 3-4 wins and he's on the hot seat next year. 5+ wins and he's safe until 2018.
You're probably right. I can't stomach another loss to ASu, though.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

He's safe at least through next year barring misconduct. Firing a coach costs a lot of money. And while I know this isn't necessarily a popular opinion, I don't believe he has performed poorly enough to warrant firing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If you he goes 2-6 as expected with an undersized defense and predictable offense then he will most definitely be on the hot seat. Even if he bounces back to 5-6 and loses to ASU to go bowlless, then so long Rich. Time to go back to the booth.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I think RR is safe this year and through the conclusion of next year. If this year goes as a majority of us believe he will be on the hot seat next year. Then if he goes sub .500 again he will be released.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

honestly if he goes 3-9 this year and then can only make it to 6-6 next year with some shit bowl game and finishes 7-6 or 6-7 then I would be ok with parting ways. especially if we struggle and have another losing conference record and lose to ASU.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

as much as i do like RR, if in years 4 5 and 6 he goes 7-6, 4-8 and 6-7...I'd be fine letting him go. even stoops went 5-7, 8-5 and 8-5 in his 4th-6th years.