Week 2: UTSA Scout/Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

qwertyus

Week 2: UTSA Scout/Discussion

Post by qwertyus »

So, I'm having a bit of a hard time getting to sleep, so I figured I'd watch a replay of the UTSA/Houston game (thank you based ESPN3) to do a little scouting of our next opponent. And since we don't seem to have a thread on the RoadRunners yet, I figured I'd start one, since it's never to early to talk about next week, right? :D

First Quarter: Sloppy as hell for both teams. They start 0-6 on Third Downs combined. Muffed UTSA punt return, immediately followed by a UH snap off the QB's face and back to UTSA, who go 3 and out. UH gets a first down, then tries to punt, but the snap slips through the punter's hands, he tries to throw/kick it from his own like 8 yd line, fumbles, and then gets the ball on the 3 yard line. UTSA takes free touchdown. UH QB sucks, so far, but UH's WR Greenberry has ~60 yards on 3 catches, 2 back-shoulder buttonhooks down the sideline (like UNLV did on that drive that they scored the TD on, UH did 2 22-yd ones back to back), and a crossing route over the middle, which I think UTSA has been leaving open (the middle of the field, behind the DL) because UH has had 2 other slant plays that have worked well. They keep throwing deep down the sides though, into 5-8 DB's, which I don't understand. UTSA offense is impotent as hell, their free 3 yard TD being the only thing of note. DL is pretty good, but the UH QB gets rattled easy. At the end of the First Quarter, it's 7-0 UTSA.

Second Quarter: UH TD slips through hands, and then next play is tip drill UTSA pick. Rough luck. UTSA DL strung out the runs well though, so I guess UH figured they needed to pass. 3 TO's for Houston now. One decade of my life, 2 timeouts, and a delay of game, a holding penalty (oh noes, streak snapped!) and eventually UTSA moves the ball a tiny bit down the field, then punts. No timeouts, 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter though for UTSA, which is silly. Christ, that was boring. UH is ineffective due to a dazzling combination of horrible "execution" and UTSA defenders existing. In other words, incredibly bad throw right to UTSA defender (he overthrew into the next county). UTSA offense snuffed. Next 10 minutes become contest between UH and UTSA over which one can suck more on offense, with UH taking the lead (in the "we suck" competition, not the game) because UTSA's DL is pretty good now and getting some pressure. UTSA also shanks 47 yd FG. Finally, in final 1:30, UTSA's lil' slot guy Grubb gets a screen then a 34-yd floater, and UTSA runs in another TD. First half mercifully over, UTSA lead 14-0, but I dislike both teams equally.

Third Quarter: UTSA gets first possession. Apparently there was a rule change at halftime outlawing the forward pass, because after a play-action, UTSA calls 8 run plays in a row, all up the middle. A bit of success. Then a little play-action, another time-out, then it's back to the ground for a TD. UTSA trying to shorten the game I assume, because the drive takes 6 minutes, 53 seconds. I think that really took the wind out of UH, and the fact that their offense comes out and resumes its sucking compounds their defensive woes. UH throws another pick before even getting to midfield. UTSA grinds clock, nails easy FG, and at this point I figure UH is pretty much done. They've done nothing on offense (-56 rush yards? the fuck?), and their defense basically spent 13 consecutive minutes getting punched in the face (metaphorically, of course). UH turns the ball over so quickly it's almost funny. Except it turns out it's just sad. UTSA runs ball, quarter ends. UTSA 24-0.

Fourth Quarter: UH gets some yards, once again the middle is open (it's all pass plays of course), but then the UH QB throws pick #4. UTSA stopped, but then UH, who must have some horrible karma stored up, fumbles the ball for turnover number 6 (7 if you count the muffed punt). UTSA grinds more clock, kicks FG. Also used another timeout because Larry Coker. UH subs QB (finally, don't know why they stuck with the crap one for so long), and then eventually get a TD in garbage time, ironically on the ground. Game ends, UTSA wins 27-7, and I shed a few tears. Mostly out of sadness, but partly out of joy, because now you guys don't need to spend all that time watching that snoozefest. I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled by RR and PAC offenses.

Thoughts: Larry Coker's a smart dude. Disguises lots of blitzes on defense, though he didn't need to do as much of it as I expected because his DL got decent pressure on the QB. UH being garbage certainly made them look better than they were. They're stacked with seniors on the OL, but they didn't really do that much on offense. I know, it's partly the gameplan. They were salting away the game for a while. Not sure how the hell Houston couldn't stop 8 straight runs up the gut, but whatever. They're certainly not explosive, and they weren't THAT slow, pace-of-play-wise, when the game was close. Coker uses timeouts too quickly imo. Just an fyi. I'll only be worried if we're not a TD away from them by the 2nd half, but as it stands I think we should have a 1-3 score lead (depending on how long it takes for AS to settle down) going into halftime, and from there WE salt the game away. FYI, they tried a bit of hurryup, but they got some false starts, then they stopped doing that. If Anu plays like he did against UNLV, we walk out of there with a very comfortable win. If he doesn't I still think we're balanced enough on offense that we still win, but it'll be a 1-2 score game in that case. UTSA needs the game of their life to win imo, they're just not close to our athleticism, and if they can't grind our D down and keep our offense off the field, we'll pull away pretty quickly.

Anyway, I don't care about the score, but I'm predicting a Cats win by 3 scores.

How about you guys? Any thoughts?
ANGCatFan

Re: Week 2: UTSA Scout/Discussion

Post by ANGCatFan »

My thought is you just saved me a couple hours of having to watch the UTSA game.

Thanks. Great recap.I owe you a beer or two.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

qwertyus wrote:
Anyway, I don't care about the score, but I'm predicting a Cats win by 3 scores.

How about you guys? Any thoughts?
Thanks for the breakdown quertyus. I am going to be there, so I hope your prediction is accurate!
Can't see a team that's only played 3 seasons hanging with a PAC-12 team just yet.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

UTSA did a good job of stopping Houston Offense with there Defense. But there Offense kind of struggle to be threat thou.
It may be there first game of the season but there defense is going to get tested by us and offense is going to tested by there defense.
I don't know why everyone think there going to be a threat but there not.

UTSA / Houston

First Downs
17 / 18

Total Yards
263 / 208

Turnovers
1 / 6

First Downs
17 / 18

Passes for First
5 / 10

Rushes for First
12 / 4

Penalties for First
0 / 4

Third Down Efficiency
5-17 / 4-16

Fourth Down Efficiency
1-1 / 2-4

Total Yards
263 / 208

Total Plays
74 / 73

Avg Gain Per Play
3.6 / 2.8

Net Yards Rushing
142 - / 26

Rushes
50 / 23

Yards Per Rush
2.8 - / 1.1

Net Yards Passing
121 / 234

Comp-Att
15-24 / 25-50

Yards Per Pass
5.0 / 4.7

Times Sacked
2 / 4

Yds Lost To Sacks
18 / 24

Interceptions
0 / 4

Punts
8 / 6

Punt Average
40.9 / 39.0

Penalties
14 / 9

Penalty Yards
115 / 47

Fumbles
3 / 5

Fumbles Lost
1 / 2
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Thanks to qwertyus for the insight and cordera89 for the stats. Their QB was 15 of 24 for 121 yards which means they either didn't look to throw down field or Houston kept everything in front of them? Qwertyus your thoughts?

They ran the ball 50 times for 146 yards or 2.9 yards a carry. Not very impressive know matter how you look at it. Experience doesn't always translate to being better. It's not like the exp'd OL was opening up big holes and controlling the LOS as the stats clearly show that they weren't. My guess is they try to establish the run against us and try not to put their QB in long 3rd down situations.

Houston was able to spread the ball around as 8 different guys caught passes which is a telling stat in my mind. Guys were open and if the Houston QB doesn't throw 4 ints (6 to's total) they probably are in the game. UTSA doesn't have size at the CB position as one CB is listed at 5'9 185 and the other at 6'0 195. The rover safety is 6'0 195 and the free safety is undersized at 5'11 165.

There's only so much you can do when UA goes 4 WR and the 2 outside WR's are literally lined up next to the sideline. RR makes you cover the entire field and I think Anu will only get better at getting rid of the ball quicker. azcat49 pointed out last night that the slot guy on either side was open on almost every play. Be it a quick slant or where he just goes to a spot and sits - they were open all night. The film session that Anu goes through this week will reap huge dividends for the UTSA game as he will see that he can check down to the slot guy and they will almost always be open.

I think we will try to put them in 3rd and long situations and bring the blitz to put some pressure on the QB. He's not a runner so the SWAT team can pin it's ears back and come after this guy. It might be close early as Anu adjusts to being on the road for the first time but I think Arizona plays well and comes home with a W.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

If this wasn't a Thursday game I would be there. Parents live in SA now. Told mom they need to go. And on invite my dad's new gun buddy, none other than Art Luppino.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

dc4azcats wrote:Thanks to qwertyus for the insight and cordera89 for the stats. Their QB was 15 of 24 for 121 yards which means they either didn't look to throw down field or Houston kept everything in front of them? Qwertyus your thoughts?

They ran the ball 50 times for 146 yards or 2.9 yards a carry. Not very impressive know matter how you look at it. Experience doesn't always translate to being better. It's not like the exp'd OL was opening up big holes and controlling the LOS as the stats clearly show that they weren't. My guess is they try to establish the run against us and try not to put their QB in long 3rd down situations.

Houston was able to spread the ball around as 8 different guys caught passes which is a telling stat in my mind. Guys were open and if the Houston QB doesn't throw 4 ints (6 to's total) they probably are in the game. UTSA doesn't have size at the CB position as one CB is listed at 5'9 185 and the other at 6'0 195. The rover safety is 6'0 195 and the free safety is undersized at 5'11 165.

There's only so much you can do when UA goes 4 WR and the 2 outside WR's are literally lined up next to the sideline. RR makes you cover the entire field and I think Anu will only get better at getting rid of the ball quicker. azcat49 pointed out last night that the slot guy on either side was open on almost every play. Be it a quick slant or where he just goes to a spot and sits - they were open all night. The film session that Anu goes through this week will reap huge dividends for the UTSA game as he will see that he can check down to the slot guy and they will almost always be open.

I think we will try to put them in 3rd and long situations and bring the blitz to put some pressure on the QB. He's not a runner so the SWAT team can pin it's ears back and come after this guy. It might be close early as Anu adjusts to being on the road for the first time but I think Arizona plays well and comes home with a W.
I saw maybe 2 passes by the UTSA QB thrown deep downfield. UTSA's passing game was almost all play-action, and little WR screens and such. There was a 34-yd floater at the end of the 2nd quarter, but it looked like a broken play, not a set one.

Houston spread the ball around I guess because that's their MO. It was something the announcers said was their team's gameplan. Only Greenberry was any good. He made a one-handed back-shoulder catch and snagged a majority of balls his way. I don't know why UH didn't just ride that WR the entire game, but they seemed to make a conscious decision to spread the ball around (not hard when you run 4 WR sets literally all game, but IMO silly when your QB clearly is having trouble getting in rhythm with his WR's and needs some completions in a row for his confidence).

For the UH turnovers, don't forget the muffed punt/free touchdown that they gave away. It was early in the game, but I think it turned out to be crucial. UH to their defense's credit does have some big guys on their DL, and their LB's are really huge and quite fast (one of them ran down a slot receiver), so I can see how UTSA struggled to run the ball. On the flip side, they ran the ball well enough in the 3rd quarter that UH literally had 2 possessions and ~1 minute with the ball. For an entire quarter. That ain't too bad, but I also don't know how running the ball 9 times in a row is going to stack up against a team from a power conference, even albeit one that starts only 3 DL like us.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

dc4azcats wrote:Thanks to qwertyus for the insight and cordera89 for the stats. Their QB was 15 of 24 for 121 yards which means they either didn't look to throw down field or Houston kept everything in front of them? Qwertyus your thoughts?

I don't think UTSA is going to be a threat. Stats really don't tell me or everyone else like ok they won 27-7 with defense.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

qwertyus wrote:

I saw maybe 2 passes by the UTSA QB thrown deep downfield. UTSA's passing game was almost all play-action, and little WR screens and such. There was a 34-yd floater at the end of the 2nd quarter, but it looked like a broken play, not a set one.

Houston spread the ball around I guess because that's their MO. It was something the announcers said was their team's gameplan. Only Greenberry was any good. He made a one-handed back-shoulder catch and snagged a majority of balls his way. I don't know why UH didn't just ride that WR the entire game, but they seemed to make a conscious decision to spread the ball around (not hard when you run 4 WR sets literally all game, but IMO silly when your QB clearly is having trouble getting in rhythm with his WR's and needs some completions in a row for his confidence).

For the UH turnovers, don't forget the muffed punt/free touchdown that they gave away. It was early in the game, but I think it turned out to be crucial. UH to their defense's credit does have some big guys on their DL, and their LB's are really huge and quite fast (one of them ran down a slot receiver), so I can see how UTSA struggled to run the ball. On the flip side, they ran the ball well enough in the 3rd quarter that UH literally had 2 possessions and ~1 minute with the ball. For an entire quarter. That ain't too bad, but I also don't know how running the ball 9 times in a row is going to stack up against a team from a power conference, even albeit one that starts only 3 DL like us.

Well when I watch the game going into the second quarter on TV before the Arizona game, I saw how UTSA offense wasn't able to move the ball down field most of the time, also saw there defense shutdown Houston offense in all fazed, Know against us I don't think they got answers for our offense. Question mark will be on our defense again for a slow start. I confidence that were going take home the W at there place.. They don't look tough, where just assuming they are tough to play.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Unless last night was a hullucination or UNLV is the worst FBS team in the country, I'd say the UTSA defense has a LOT to worry about.

Looks to me like we didn't miss a beat on offense from last year - UTSA should be shitting their pants about stopping us.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

35-17 AZ Win
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

EastCoastCat wrote:Unless last night was a hullucination or UNLV is the worst FBS team in the country, I'd say the UTSA defense has a LOT to worry about.

Looks to me like we didn't miss a beat on offense from last year - UTSA should be shitting their pants about stopping us.
Nah we just worn UNLV defense down, There defense wasn't built against up tempo offense which we ran on them. There offense was just getting 3 and out multiple time. Were just better team than them.

Well only thing I can say is that there not going to stop our WR Group unless we shoot ourselves in the foot. RR will get everyone prepared for the game. We should be fine.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

I'm thinking Arizona by two scores in a very hard fought game that won't be decided until late.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Good stuff qwertyus.

I feel fairly confident that if UA doesn't turn the ball over 6 times (or muff a punt), that UA should win comfortably.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Let just wait and see.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

cordera89 wrote:Let just wait and see.
Bah. That would be logical, but this is a message board!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

qwertyus wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Let just wait and see.
Bah. That would be logical, but this is a message board!
Yea it is a message u right. But I have been stating that there no way UTSA defense is going to dominated our offense like they did to Houston offense.

But some fan can be curious or concern depending how they look at it. I confidence were going to beat the crap out of them. But for true AZ fan they believe this game is tough and which I don't believe this game will be tough at some point. It depend on how we play them.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

You're crazy if you think this game won't be tough.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It not crazy if I don't think this game wont be tough. Beside Houston shot themselves in foot against them.

Like I said before There not threat to us. UTSA is going to play against a Real Offense and there Defense is going to be Tested on.

U got to say how is there defense going to stop our WR when it Hill, Jones, Neal, Grant, Phillips, Griffey, Richards. There no way there secondary hold them all. They might get couple stop or turnover depend on how they pressure OL and Solomon.

Everyone is worrying because they return a lot of senior on the roster. That nothing. RR and Staff are going to take this game seriously unlike Houston did.

I got faith in out team that were going to beat the living crap out of them. It not crazy. If the game a blowout, then it a blowout, If the game is close, then the game is close. We just got stop acting like this game going to tough for some reason but it not.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

If UTSA would beat someone better like a power 5 team in week one, Then we will be worrying about playing them this week.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Interesting article about UTSA here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /14862029/

I get the sense that this game is going to be a hot ticket in San Antonio. Crowd will be hyped up, team will be out to prove something on national TV.

We will be starting a freshman QB in his first road game, in a loud NFL-sized dome.

I expect us to win, but it's not going to be easy.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Arizona opens as an 8 point favorite.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

UAEebs86 wrote:Arizona opens as an 8 point favorite.
I was expecting about 12, but 8 doesn't surprise me at all.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azthrillhouse wrote:Interesting article about UTSA here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /14862029/

I get the sense that this game is going to be a hot ticket in San Antonio. Crowd will be hyped up, team will be out to prove something on national TV.

We will be starting a freshman QB in his first road game, in a loud NFL-sized dome.

I expect us to win, but it's not going to be easy.
I'm hoping for a big loud hostile crowd. Get Anu experience with that so that he's primed up for Autzen in game 5.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ANGCatFan wrote:
That true on what RR said. We're there better team than them. We should be fine against them.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

The biggest thing to me with this game, is how the offense (o-line, Anu, and RBs) handles the pressure UTSA will bring. I'm expecting a lot of blitzing and trying to rattle Anu. Less worried about our defense against their offense.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

OSUCat wrote:The biggest thing to me with this game, is how the offense (o-line, Anu, and RBs) handles the pressure UTSA will bring. I'm expecting a lot of blitzing and trying to rattle Anu. Less worried about our defense against their offense.
UNLV tried the same thing. I think they may hold us in check a couple of times, but their defense isn't good enough to stifle our offense, and their offense isn't good enough to keep up when we start scoring, and we will score. UH was incredibly sloppy. 9/16 drives ended in either a fumble or an interception, 2/3rds of which were forced. Even with so many turnovers, leaving UTSA in excellent field position including on the UH 3 yard line, UTSA put up only 27 points. On their first 8 drives, they had 1 TD, the aforementioned 3 yd-line drive. Their only 2 drives of significant length were at the end of the first half and the start of the 3rd. Otherwise, they were basically bottled up by UH's defense, and scored 2 FG's outside of those drives. They thrive off of turnovers and leave the middle of the field wide open, so if we keep those to a minimum and attack the middle of the field with slants, we'll be okay. We're also not one-dimensional like UH, so I expect our running game and OL to handle their defensive front, which was something that UH was unable to do.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Over at the UTSA forums, they're feeling pretty good about their chances. One guy's really feelin' it. I asked if they'd like to come over here, seeing as how I'm over there.
http://www.rowdytalk.com/showthread.php ... izona-UTSA
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

qwertyus wrote:Over at the UTSA forums, they're feeling pretty good about their chances. One guy's really feelin' it. I asked if they'd like to come over here, seeing as how I'm over there.
http://www.rowdytalk.com/showthread.php ... izona-UTSA
To be fair to the UTSA fans, there is just the one guy on the site who is predicting (actually guaranteeing) the Road Runners will blow us out. Most of the posters just seem to be looking for hope that they will have a chance to win.

Q - my compliments to you. You were a great visitor to their site. You gave them a quality breakdown of our team, pro and con, along with our history and progress under Coach Rod. Exactly the type of a quality post we like to see when opponents come to our site.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Mr. Mike sure is full of it.

His explanation of Bexar screams of a small town resident who has never left the country. Oh but he watches a bunch of football. Doesn't pay attention to stats or predict scores but whenever he predicts "blowout" he's right 4/5 times. And he thinks UTSA will blowout arizona. Good ole eyeball test.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Good stuff over there, qwerty. Well done.

I liked UTSA fan last year. They're a fun bunch who know they're living in exciting times, and most of them seem to be enjoying every minute of it. Mr. Mike is a nut job, but otherwise they're a cool group.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Puerco wrote:Good stuff over there, qwerty. Well done.

I liked UTSA fan last year. They're a fun bunch who know they're living in exciting times, and most of them seem to be enjoying every minute of it. Mr. Mike is a nut job, but otherwise they're a cool group.
Consign. All the best to UTSA fan. Every fan base has their GoJacks.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This thread has me fired up to scout. I have the game on watch ESPN, while doing some work.
Lets see this "Vaunted UTSA" defense that is allegedly a top5 nations D. (snicker)
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Just a side Note:
UTSA CB's coach is Jeff Popovich. Tucson native, 90's Sabino HS QB/CB star. Played college Miami, briefly in NFL.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

27-7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: . . . :roll:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:27-7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: . . . :roll:
To echo the original post, UH was bad and their QB play and special teams were garbage.

UTSA DL, and to some extent OL, is formidable. Much respect to these corps. My concern about UTSA DL and its size is tempered by the fact we are returning a very experienced and veteran OL to protect Solomon. Their linebackers are quick and get into the backfield, but that leaves space in the middle, where damage can be done. UTSA secondary is trash and I can't wait to see us light them up like the dumpster fire that they are.

UTSA offense is decent enough and their defense will keep them in games; but frankly, they don't have the fire power to compete with the track meet RR is going to throw at them.

UTSA is a great story and one that most college football fans can rally around, but I'm not buying Mr. Mike's "blowout" talk. It will be a hard fought game, the environment and rabid home crowd will be something to be overcome, but in the end the CATS win going away. Our WR/QB combo to soften up the D followed by the Wilson/JGrigsby combo will be too much to handle. Our defense still needs to work out some kinks, but I haven't seen anything out of UTSA to be concerned about regarding their O. Much respect to what is being built at UTSA and they will be a fun program to watch going forward.

13-34!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I just want yo know how those two linebackers or the safeties they bring down will cover our guys in the slot. We are going to be running open all night again.

If our line handles there line like we did last year we will be fine
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If this is the prediction thread I am going with:

Arizona 38 - UTSA 14
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:I just want yo know how those two linebackers or the safeties y hry bring f own will cover our guys in the slot. We are going to be running open all night again.

This is big question. UTSA is going to have serious troubles containing our WR's in the slot and deep if they play like they did against Houston.
AFRoadrunner12

Post by AFRoadrunner12 »

The outcome of the game will be determined by how our secondary responds to your passing game and how your o-line does against our defensive front. Playing against your wide-receivers will definitely serve as the litmus test for our Secondary. Watching your WRs out-run UNLV's secondary was a beautiful thing, and does worry me, because Houston still had a decent day if you take a look at their passing yards compared to what they averaged last year. However, our secondary made some great heads-up plays and capitalized on bad-passes forced by our front-uglies. That being said, Solomon is no O'Korn. For a freshman he looked damn composed, and it's going to be much more difficult to stop your passing game compared to Houston's. UTSA also isn't a pushover of a team like UNLV. We will give you guys a hard time, and I think your line is going to struggle keeping Solomon on his feet, and Jones and Wilson north of the line of scrimmage, especially if you allowed the likes UNLV two sacks and three TFLs.

All in all, it's going to be a good game and hopefully much more closer than most of you are predicting.

P.S. Thank you for being understanding that our one winged-nut (who will not be named) is not all representative of the Rowdytalk community. :)
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

Keys to the game:
1. can our OL privide enough protection so that Anu can hit receivers
2. on the road, can Anu keep mistakes to a minimum
3. if they crash LBs, can Anu escape long enough to hit receivers over the middle
4. if they crash LBs, can our RBs take advantage
5. Can we slow down their running game (our offense isn't effective sitting on the sidelines). Our LBs must keep contain
6. Is their QB a good scrambler (I didn't see their game)
7. turnovers, always important
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azcat49 wrote:I just want yo know how those two linebackers or the safeties they bring down will cover our guys in the slot. We are going to be running open all night again.

Yea, I didn't notice that. That's how the middle was so open. Also, someone on their site mentioned that Houston's biggest weakness was their OL, which helps explain how UTSA controlled the LOS so well. It was strength against weakness.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I know RR has big respect for Coker and UTSA. He has been harping on the guys all week that we will be in for or a tough game. I think he has the players attention.

This will be a great opportunity to gauge just how good our OLine is. We have four really experienced guys and I think most of the penalties and breakdowns came from first time starter Alsadek.
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azcat49 wrote:I know RR has big respect f2f or Coker and UTSA. He has been harping on the guys all week that we will be in for or a tough game. I y hink he has yt? he players attention.

This will be a great opportuni to gauge just how good our OLine is. We have four really experienced guys and I think most of the penalties and breakdowns came from first time starter Alsadek.
Even then, I think he only had 2. A false start and a hold.
MCW

Post by MCW »

Sup fellow wildcats. First time poster here. Happy to be here
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

MCW wrote:Sup fellow wildcats. First time poster here. Happy to be here
Get the fuck out.

;)
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

For those that watched UTSA play Houston, how was their team speed, especially on defense?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AFRoadrunner12 wrote:The outcome of the game will be determined by how our secondary responds to your passing game and how your o-line does against our defensive front. Playing against your wide-receivers will definitely serve as the litmus test for our Secondary. Watching your WRs out-run UNLV's secondary was a beautiful thing, and does worry me, because Houston still had a decent day if you take a look at their passing yards compared to what they averaged last year. However, our secondary made some great heads-up plays and capitalized on bad-passes forced by our front-uglies. That being said, Solomon is no O'Korn. For a freshman he looked damn composed, and it's going to be much more difficult to stop your passing game compared to Houston's. UTSA also isn't a pushover of a team like UNLV. We will give you guys a hard time, and I think your line is going to struggle keeping Solomon on his feet, and Jones and Wilson north of the line of scrimmage, especially if you allowed the likes UNLV two sacks and three TFLs.

All in all, it's going to be a good game and hopefully much more closer than most of you are predicting.

P.S. Thank you for being understanding that our one winged-nut (who will not be named) is not all representative of the Rowdytalk community. :)
Thanks for posting. Would love to hear which USAT players we should keep our eyes on and which players are the fan favorites and why.

Lots of Tucson fans have this picked as our trap game. You guys are big and experienced and fans have been preaching that we better show up in SA ready for a battle.

Here's to a hard fought, injury free game on Thursday and good luck after you play us.