Dual In The Desert discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Dual In The Desert discussion thread

Post by azgreg »

0-9 here we come.
Last edited by azgreg on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Re: ASSu @ Arizona discussion thread

Post by Merkin »

Seems like RichRod is trying to get himself fired to collect the 8 million bones, but hopefully Byrne will have a long meeting with him before this game saying this game is different. If RichRod throws this one, then he will find a way to fire him with cause.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh boy, another opportunity to be a total embarrassment to the athletic department, school, and alumni. Bear Down . . . . or something.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Win or lose this game will thankfully be the mercy kill for this wretched season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:Win or lose this game will thankfully be the mercy kill for this wretched season.
yeah i absolutely hope we win, but part of me just wants the final bullet to be put in the head of this season and for it to be over. i doubt there's more than 40-45 thousand people at the game since it's at 7:30 pm on black friday.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA AD was even offering discount tickets even before the beatdown by ntOSU.

Next will be a canned food drive, bring in any 2 cans and get a seat.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:UA AD was even offering discount tickets even before the beatdown by ntOSU.

Next will be a canned food drive, bring in any 2 cans and get a seat.
yeah but which canned food? I mean, if it's something like green beans, I'm cool with that, but they aren't getting my spaghettios!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:Seems like RichRod is trying to get himself fired to collect the 8 million bones, but hopefully Byrne will have a long meeting with him before this game saying this game is different. If RichRod throws this one, then he will find a way to fire him with cause.
Frankly, this is the only thing I am rooting for in this game.

If you've been following John Oliver's analogies to rock bottom, then I think this Arizona football program is just about at the final one.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

can someone refresh my memory please, as I can't remember (although I could swear I read it on this site somewhere) how many teams have gone winless in conference play since the pac10 was formed?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:can someone refresh my memory please, as I can't remember (although I could swear I read it on this site somewhere) how many teams have gone winless in conference play since the pac10 was formed?
Don't know the exact count, but Colorado went 0-9 in 2014-5, and UDub went 0-9 in 2008-9.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PieceOfMeat wrote:can someone refresh my memory please, as I can't remember (although I could swear I read it on this site somewhere) how many teams have gone winless in conference play since the pac10 was formed?
1980 Oregon State
1981 Oregon State
1982 Oregon State (0-7-1)
1987 Oregon State
1992 Oregon State (0-7-1)
1995 Oregon State
1997 Oregon State
1998 Washington State
2001 California
2004 Washington
2008 Washington
2009 Washington State
2013 California
2014 Colorado
2015 Oregon State

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Take note players and coaches, can't mail this one in.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Well well well......looks like some people have actually started to open their eyes. Progress.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
1980 Oregon State
1981 Oregon State
1982 Oregon State (0-7-1)
1987 Oregon State
1992 Oregon State (0-7-1)
1995 Oregon State
1997 Oregon State
1998 Washington State
2001 California
2004 Washington
2008 Washington
2009 Washington State
2013 California
2014 Colorado
2015 Oregon State
thanks hater, was more than i thought. one more about to be added to that list

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:Well well well......looks like some people have actually started to open their eyes. Progress.
Parasite, how come you are not in demand elsewhere?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Well well well......looks like some people have actually started to open their eyes. Progress.

Demand? As in posting? So, what do all think is going to happen in regards to the ASU game? Think Arizona can pull off the upset?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Demand? As in posting? So, what do all think is going to happen in regards to the ASU game? Think Arizona can pull off the upset?

What do you think Chief?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Not a chance. we will go 0-9. I will give you your props with RR but knocking Dudek for supporting his boss and saying this wouldn't have happened if you were in that spot is comical
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chief is still kind of a douche. What a shock.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

What do you think Chief?

I think that Arizona doesn't have much of a chance.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Not a chance. we will go 0-9. I will give you your props with RR but knocking Dudek for supporting his boss and saying this wouldn't have happened if you were in that spot is comical

I'm knocking Dudek because he has had 5 years to do his job and he's failed miserably.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

What do you think Chief?

Hopefully it won't come down to special teams.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Parasite, how come you are not in demand elsewhere?

What do you think Chief?

Hopefully it won't come down to special teams.
Ain't that the truth.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

I'm knocking Dudek because he has had 5 years to do his job and he's failed miserably.
Well I will gladly stand corrected if Dudek is the guy who does the evaluations and the offers but I highly doubt that is the case. I do think he is assigned to guys the coaches want and he uses all methods available to him to keep the AZ name in front of them.

I think a fairer statement is RR failed miserably but feel free to correct me by telling me exactly how MD was culpable in this POS of a program they have built
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:[

Well I will gladly stand corrected if Dudek is the guy who does the evaluations and the offers but I highly doubt that is the case. I do think he is assigned to guys the coaches want and he uses all methods available to him to keep the AZ name in front of them.

I think a fairer statement is RR failed miserably but feel free to correct me by telling me exactly how MD was culpable in this POS of a program they have built

We all know what his job entailed. RR is the conductor of the orchestra for sure. It's failed all around but there are a few who stand out in failure a little more than the rest IMO.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Does it really matter? Whether this year or next, RR gets millions to walk away and millions more to enter the booth.

He won't get the disgrace he deserves for burying this program deeper than it already was after one season of success. No pity, thank you.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

so, how much better would a win over asu make everyone feel about this season?

2016 has been a dumpster fire, to put it mildly, but a victory would go a long way for me. gotta finish on a high note and not feel like we're still in a freefall going into the offseason. to ground my expectations though, i'm just hoping we don't get blown out. a close game will suffice, i guess. :?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Nothing will change that this season is an unmitigated disaster. Not even a win over asu. I just like seeing us beat asu. But a win wouldn't change my perception of the season or the program.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Nothing will change that this season is an unmitigated disaster. Not even a win over asu. I just like seeing us beat asu. But a win wouldn't change my perception of the season or the program.
same here.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Nothing will change that this season is an unmitigated disaster. Not even a win over asu. I just like seeing us beat asu. But a win wouldn't change my perception of the season or the program.
same here.
Same with RichRod. Don't recall seeing any head coach wishing the season was over more than him.

Just a complete disaster.

Did they not vet Yates at all? No way he can keep his mind on football 60 hours a week like he is paid for.

I'll watch the game, well at least until the Scummies put Arizona away (by half?), but this is a season I will try and forget.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

dirtbags wrote:so, how much better would a win over asu make everyone feel about this season?
Hell yes, It would make me feel better about the season. Feel better about it rather than losing to ASSU and every conference game. Tons better? No. Better? YES.

Still in some shock and stunned at what all happened to cause full collapse. But at least it will offset some bashing from ASU fans. At least I can tell ASU friends they lost to the worst team in conference.

I really don't want UA to have that recognition of going zero for nine. Just put up one and let it be against ASSU
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

A win would be nice, but honestly, I couldn't care less. THATS how bad this season has been for me.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Actually glad to be working during the game so I have an excuse not to watch. RR has sucked the pride out of this program with his BS schemes and doesn't deserve to have a win over ASU save any face for them.

I pray this is Arizona football's Ben Lindsey moment. It needs a savior. Badly.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

dirtbags wrote:so, how much better would a win over asu make everyone feel about this season?

I don't feel the same as most of this board, so it won't be a surprise when I say it would make a huge difference.

Cal and out of state and Tucson-based alumni have little clue what it is like to live here and deal with people who are ASU fans for 36 hours a year but still act like they live/breathe/eat/sleep Devil.

I don't think the program is dead, I think this is a shit season that rolled out of control, and I think a lot of teams are a very thin line from slipping into a total shitfest when a season goes the wrong way. I do not expect to see RichRod fired, nor do I want it to happen, nor do I think this is some big conspiracy to get fired and totally make him unhireable, going against every competitive fiber of a coaches body. I think groupthink is in play, and this group is definitely in the "everything sucks, we suck" frame of mind here, which is understandable, but is also such a UA basketball fan thing. These slantings have been in play since Stoops, Livengood, etc...this has always been, either at tos or here, a home for hoops fans first. As an outsider coming in here, I knew that, and could see that. ANd, as I say, I get the frustration. But I do think there is an echo chamber here when it comes to the "RichRod has always sucked/we will always suck/Nothing good has ever happened here" message.

And I expect people will take exception with that view. Which is fine. Doesn't change that is how I have seen it for a while here.

If we win, I will be ecstatic. Won't mean I have forgiven this season. Won't mean I think everything is fine. It won't change my view of RichRod, most notably...I don't think he should be ran out of town after a 3year increase to a region title, a bumpy minor bowl 4th year and the shit of this season, especially when he has taken action to rectify the situation. I am not sure what defensive efficiency numbers would have lead to firing the defensive staff after year 3, but they were certainly there in year 4 to match the concern about depth, and the move was made. I am not a believer in chasing head coaches...the guy has won elsewhere, has won here, and I do believe he should get next year and, if some life is evident during next season, a following one.

But more than anything, I just want us to find a win to beat this fucking team. A team we are, per Vegas, 3 to 6 point home dogs against....
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Yes, a win on Friday definitely matters. I live near Tempe and have a lot of co-workers, family, and friends that support them, that know I am an Arizona alum, and know that I live and die by our football team. The a-holes will be sure to text me, post on my timeline, or even decorate my office at work. The nice ones will empathize with my pain. ...the ratio is about 80 /20 ..with a-holes being the bigger number.

I am going to the game...I will tailgate aggressively and hope to be so effed up by kick-off that I will be numb to the pain of a loss. Luckily, I am going with pretty large fun-lovin' group (including chics) so it should be fun either way. Coming into work or socializing for the remaining 364 days will royally suck if we lose.

We need the W. It makes a huge difference. It is the rivalry and matters. Don't forget it.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

FUCK ASU. Beat them and this season is forgiven in my eyes. Other than a final four and the Rose Bowl, there should be no higher priority in this athletic department than kicking some scummy ass any chance we get.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It just not our year, As much as we want to beat these fuckers, I just don't see it in our team that they can win.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote:It just not our year, As much as we want to beat these fuckers, I just don't see it in our team that they can win.
This fact is the only thing that gives me a little hope. In rivalry games, sometimes the no chance team just lets it rip and a miracle occurs.

When I thino about the likely outcome, I don't see a chance.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Line is down to -3 ASU. I think UA is going to be motivated more than ASU to avoid getting the goose egg conference record. I think Cats win
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASSU will just pound the rock with Belaige (sp). No way We will be able to stop the run. If CTG is smart he just just runs it and doesn't try and get to fancy.

Our concern has to be on offense. Their weakness is pass defense and Dawkins is so so with that. They have a decent run stuffing front 7.

We may have more motivation but we just font hac ed the horses.
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

we'll probably be behind all game so we'll be throwing it anyway. just toss bombs on asu all night long and even with dawkins we should get a couple td's and 250-300 passing yards. asu's pass defense is literally the worst that's been seen in college football in almost a generation.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASU really is a bad team, so anything can happen... this should be a competitive game, given that we get it at home.

That said, they DO have something to play for - an illustrious bowl berth that many still view as a noteworthy accomplishment.

For as much as this board collectively acknowledges how bad they are this season, if they beat us and win whatever marginal bowl game they play in... their season will mirror our 2015 - which some here categorized as 'another winning season with a bowl appearance'.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I think this will be the true test of RR's coaching prowess. This is our last game, there are no more games and no reason to leave any tricks up our sleeve. How hard did he study AsSU's tendencies to draw up plays to take advantage of their weaknesses? They have some. I am not above using trick plays or misdirection to make up for our lack of speed, size, coaching skill and talent.

Here are some ideas:
1. Run Matt Morin a.k.a. Baby Tebow, a la refrigerator Perry, for goal line situations, maybe with an option to fake run and using the basketball shot pass for 6.
2. Have KT and BD on the field at the same time. Maybe option for a RB pass. Or KT playing receiver.
3. Crazy one here..use the TE
4. Another crazy one..line QB under center instead of 5 years back for goal line QB sneak
5. Flea-flicker (sp)
6. Statue of Liberty
7. Laterals, laterals, and more laterals
8. All out blitzes or delayed blitzes
9. Onside kick, first play of the game
10. fake punts, fake field goals

You get the point. By any means necessary, just short of intentionally hurting someone, do what it takes to get the win.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

UALoco wrote:I think this will be the true test of RR's coaching prowess. This is our last game, there are no more games and no reason to leave any tricks up our sleeve. How hard did he study AsSU's tendencies to draw up plays to take advantage of their weaknesses? They have some. I am not above using trick plays or misdirection to make up for our lack of speed, size, coaching skill and talent.

Here are some ideas:
1. Run Matt Morin a.k.a. Baby Tebow, a la refrigerator Perry, for goal line situations, maybe with an option to fake run and using the basketball shot pass for 6.
2. Have KT and BD on the field at the same time. Maybe option for a RB pass. Or KT playing receiver.
4. Another crazy one..line QB under center instead of 5 years back for goal line QB sneak
5. Flea-flicker (sp)
6. Statue of Liberty

You get the point. By any means necessary, just short of intentionally hurting someone, do what it takes to get the win.

LOL. This team can't execute any of that shit.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

carcassdragger wrote:
UALoco wrote:I think this will be the true test of RR's coaching prowess. This is our last game, there are no more games and no reason to leave any tricks up our sleeve. How hard did he study AsSU's tendencies to draw up plays to take advantage of their weaknesses? They have some. I am not above using trick plays or misdirection to make up for our lack of speed, size, coaching skill and talent.

Here are some ideas:
5. Flea-flicker (sp)
6. Statue of Liberty

LOL. This team can't execute any of that shit.
It means something to me if they try.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Here are some ideas:
5. Flea-flicker (sp)
6. Statue of Liberty

No punts period! Be like that high school. 4 downs to go 10 every time.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Merkin wrote: No punts period! Be like that high school. 4 downs to go 10 every time.
I like how you think. If we can't get 2.5 yards on every down, we don't deserve to win. UALoco will be there cheering his CATS and some day, probably many years from now when we are good and everyone is back on the bandwagon, I can say to myself, "you were with them when they were down and you are with them now" and it will feel good. I might be naive and have permanent rose-colored shades on but you can't call me a fair weather fan.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Uh oh, Solomon is the only good passer on the team.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Here are some ideas:
5. Flea-flicker (sp)
6. Statue of Liberty

11. end zone camouflage punt return

seriously though, i'm a little surprised that the coaching staff haven't exercised item #2 by now
azgreg

Re: Dual In The Desert discussion thread

Post by azgreg »