71 Days Coach Donte' Williams

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Re: 71 Days Coach Donte' Williams

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:It was just recently Merk. I would imagine the wording is much different in those multi year contracts for assistants then the head coach though.

I think this situation is going to tell us a lot about RR as a recruiter. Remember when Sykes left and Stoops didn't reach out to that QB recruit then then changed to TCU. I would hope RR has been pounding the 0hone along with Dews and the rest of them.

Hopefully RR has been on the phone this morning with White from SDSU and is working on getting him in here quick.
It football coaches job to maintain and keep the recruiting class intact if not they got out and recruit.

Tony White from SDSU, I really don't know if he willing to come to Arizona but I can see why though.

White, Tony Assistant Coach - Cornerbacks (Recruiting Coordinator)
Downtown Los Angeles (213), Southwest LA County, Santa Monica (310), Central Los Angeles, Hollywood (323), Southeast LA County, Long Beach (562), Hawaii, American Samoa, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Washington D.C.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You're really just confusing me again, cordera. Other than keeping RichRod for next year, I have no idea what you want for this program.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:You're really just confusing me again, cordera. Other than keeping RichRod for next year, I have no idea what you want for this program.
Your making it harder than it look, I just answer your comment and know your telling me your confuse. What ever man stop beating this dead horse with me.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

LB Poly and Hawkins could become some pipelines here soon.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

catinfl wrote:LB Poly and Hawkins could become some pipelines here soon.
Tell me more.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Go on..
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

What's could be in this magnificent pipeline?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

So is the DW move to NB final? If not, I don't know why RR wouldn't go ahead and cut a check to help match NB's offer, especially after such a bad season. It might set a bad precedent but isn't this a special case? Isn't DW producing better than everyone else on the recruiting trail? I mean, it makes RR's chances of extending his time at Arizona and coaching Rhett a little higher. Also, it gives us time to see if DW is really worth it. We haven't seen what he can do in the secondary with his guys.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

While Williams has gotten some results in recruiting without a doubt, I would be very hesitant to just up and offer him a big raise. He's been here less than a year, and if he was given a, say, $100k bump in pay, I think that really does set a bad precedent. If he goes he will probably take a few recruits with him. That could easily mean we're in this same boat next year, since he's going to be in demand for a while. I think what I saw is that the school caught wind of this about the same time that we did (and definitely correct me if I'm wrong here) so he hasn't exactly been communicating and giving RR and Byrne a chance to keep him before that. If so, that's not necessarily someone you want to go to the wall to keep. This isn't the first key assistant that Arizona has lost to a bigger opportunity and it won't be the last. Such is college football.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So a recruiter that says he is honest with his recruits was dishonest with his coaching team. Mmmmm
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Just something that I heard it could just be smoke but..
LB Poly HC= Antonio Pierce
Move Yates to coach DB's and Pierce to LB's.
The Hawkins thing would be interesting but not sure if it will ever see the light of day, it would shake up some things for sure if it happened though.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hawkins who?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Well, here we go. And you were saying what about not giving DW a raise?..God, here we go a few more years of mediocre football. I would really love to hear the behind the scenes story of how hard we tried to keep him on board. Did RR offer to take a pay cut? I give RR till 2-3 games into P12 conference play before he is fired.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azgreg wrote:Hawkins who?
Hawkins Hugh LA
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

catinfl wrote:Just something that I heard it could just be smoke but..
LB Poly HC= Antonio Pierce
Move Yates to coach DB's and Pierce to LB's.
The Hawkins thing would be interesting but not sure if it will ever see the light of day, it would shake up some things for sure if it happened though.
Hmm. I like this idea.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UALoco wrote:Well, here we go. And you were saying what about not giving DW a raise?..God, here we go a few more years of mediocre football. I would really love to hear the behind the scenes story of how hard we tried to keep him on board. Did RR offer to take a pay cut? I give RR till 2-3 games into P12 conference play before he is fired.
Johnson is gone. Probably going to cost AZ one or two more recruits as well. Do you give a first year guy a $100-150k pay raise to keep 2-3 recruits?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nope.

give RR the rope to hang himself. clean house in 2018.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

UALoco wrote:Well, here we go. And you were saying what about not giving DW a raise?..God, here we go a few more years of mediocre football. I would really love to hear the behind the scenes story of how hard we tried to keep him on board. Did RR offer to take a pay cut? I give RR till 2-3 games into P12 conference play before he is fired.
So that the best your giving him is 2-3 games in pac 12 play to be fired. Who are you expecting Arizona to win in conference play?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Arizona should beat NAU and UTEP. Will Lose to Houston. The P12 conference schedule is not out yet so we could go ofer in first 3 games...if that happens I don't know why we keep RR.

Also, keeping DW isn't about *just* keeping a few recruits. It is about keeping the 4-5 star pipeline from LA. NB sees it, not sure why we don't. We didn''t have to match NB, just make it really hard to switch. I imagine, all things equal, it would have been nice for him to be close to LA, stay with the men he's already recruited, not have to move.etc... He could've stuck around until USC came a calling.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Ok so your saying is Arizona cant win more than 3 game at best, The Houston Game would be Guarantee lost? I would love bet that though.

If it wasn't about DW leaving or the Recruit he was bring in? Then what does that say about Arizona Presences in the LA Pipeline in Recruiting? Now RR and the staff can keep a strong presences in the LA pipeline in recruiting, It the competitive part that going to screw them in that area. We can get commits from LA Little by Little, Just not a truck load of LA commits.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't think Johnson was ever a lock for UA even if DW stayed. He continued to go on his official visits even after he committed, which is usually cause for pulling a scholarship offer under RichRod.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:LB Poly and Hawkins could become some pipelines here soon.

LMAO! That is funny.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sorry but I would tell him to not let the door hit him in the ass. Granted I get most of us would move for a 200k raise but Riley can kiss my hairy ball sack and it is still hard not to feel a little jilted

Is the #moneyteam his hash tag because it fits
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Sorry buy I would tell him to not let the door hit him in the ass. Granted I get most wou life doesn't move for a 200k raise and Riley can kiss my hairy ball sack but it is still hard not to feel a little jilted

Is the #moneyteam his hash tag because it fits
I hear you, but on the flip side:

1) DW is likely getting a 50-100% pay raise... that is significant as his age and point in life. RR would have left us high and dry for a 10-15% raise if So Carolina would have offered him one - and he's already rich with a long-term guaranteed contract.
2) DW would likely be out of a job after next season if he stayed.
3) If RR needed to clean out staff to buy himself time - he would do it in a heartbeat.

That said... I hate it when these guys all talk about their job & program like it's family.. they are all full of shit.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I think it would be very prudent and soothing to the nervous system if most all hardcore Arizona football fans just finally admit that this current incarnation of the RichRod era is probably a lost cause.

The negative dynamics and lack of talent in the team gene pool at this point are so overwhelming that I think Greg Byrne is just riding the clock out and hoping for the best.

At this stage with coaches jumping ship the writing is on the wall with another subpar, lackluster recruiting class of mid-major talent. RR simply doesn't have the coaching goodwill of the early days, overall respect or the dynamic nuances of OKG claptrap to feed the masses or the time to make this work.

The slow motion train wreck continues and I'm really not interested in watching it play out to any great degree. Of course I'll watch from afar, but a whole bunch of other stuff leapfrogged my Saturday night Arizona football beatdown as we move into next season with a still undermanned team in every area.

I think RR days are numbered but GB has to let the cards play out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last one to leave turn off the lights.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Last one to leave turn off the lights.

BOOM goes the dynamite.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:

BOOM goes the dynamite.
Yeah, BOOM goes the dynamite. Up in smoke goes any notion of DW's experience and maturity. No wonder 18 year olds relate to him. You seem to be lapping it up too, Chief.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Nebraska lives and breathes football and has for decades. Their football revenue is about $60 million, where AZ's is around $23 million. They've got a much bigger dedicated fanbase and fantastic facilities. Lowell-Stevens is a great facility, far better than what the school had before, and yet other schools with money to spend keep upping the ante. Think about the roles being flipped, if this were a basketball conversation and we'd just poached a coach from Nebraska for the hoops team. I do think the tweet by DW was not a wise decision; you go ahead and tell recruits this stuff but don't put it in a public forum.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

BOOM goes the dynamite.
Yeah, BOOM goes the dynamite. Up in smoke goes any notion of DW's experience and maturity. No wonder 18 year olds relate to him. You seem to be lapping it up too, Chief.
Huh? I don't see how his tweet relates to maturity. If you don't think Nebraska has top level commitment and atmosphere for football then you're rather naive.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

scumdevils86 wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

BOOM goes the dynamite.
Huh? I don't see how his tweet relates to maturity. If you don't think Nebraska has top level commitment and atmosphere for football then you're rather naive.
See the Penguin's post above. Dumb move showing immaturity. Maybe you too.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

MrMeow wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

BOOM goes the dynamite.
See the Penguin's post above. Dumb move showing immaturity. Maybe you too.
oh lord :roll:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Whether intentional or not, that does reek of taking a shot at Arizona. Of course getting your pay doubled does strike me as being evidence of a vast difference in resources.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:Whether intentional or not, that does reek of taking a shot at Arizona. Of course getting your pay doubled does strike me as being evidence of a vast difference in commitment and resources.
Agreed. Unwarranted. Kind of pisses me off.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

fans and admin and the populace in general are mouth frothing maniacs when it comes to Nebraska football there. that's why it's surprising they've been solidly in the mediocre to "kinda good" area for so long. they have the boosters willing to throw away their life savings to make a donation to the athletic department and a stark raving mad fan base that won't accept mediocrity.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:Whether intentional or not, that does reek of taking a shot at Arizona. Of course getting your pay doubled does strike me as being evidence of a vast difference in resources.
exactly.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:Whether intentional or not, that does reek of taking a shot at Arizona. Of course getting your pay doubled does strike me as being evidence of a vast difference in resources.
Bingo. But unless there's something absolutely glaringly horrid that people need to be made aware of, you don't take public shots at a previous employer. You'd be amazed what could come back to bite you in the future.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:
Bingo. But unless there's something absolutely glaringly horrid that people need to be made aware of, you don't take public shots at a previous employer. You'd be amazed what could come back to bite you in the future.
Thinking the same thing, you never burn your bridges which DW seems to have done.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm having my first complaint about how Byrne is handling any athletic program. By allowing RR's contract to expire, the program is going to shed talent and coaches. He's running the program into the ground to avoid a buyout.

This is not on RR, it's on Byrne.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Donte is going to learn that if they keep losing to Iowa and Wisky while giving up 60-70 points to tOSU, that life can go by really quick.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

wyo-cat wrote:
I'm having my first complaint about how Byrne is handling any athletic program. By allowing RR's contract to expire, the program is going to shed talent and coaches. He's running the program into the ground to avoid a buyout.

Wait, what? I'm one of RR's bigger fans around here but an extension is not and should not be on the table at this point. He's one bad year from being let go. His contract isn't up for a few years anyway.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat wrote: This is not on RR, it's on Byrne.
Fielding a piss poor product on the field, recruiting too small and too slow of players for Div I ball leading to dissension in the locker room (per S Grant) and on the coaching staff is pretty much on RR. Win, and the contracts will come.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azpenguin wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:

Wait, what? I'm one of RR's bigger fans around here but an extension is not and should not be on the table at this point. He's one bad year from being let go. His contract isn't up for a few years anyway.
The coach and program are in limbo. That's going to hurt on the recruiting trail, it's like a self fulfilling prophecy.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Coach might be in limbo but it has zero to do with his contract situation. It has to do with his 3-9 situation and no contract extension is going to fix that.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
wyo-cat wrote: This is not on RR, it's on Byrne.
Fielding a piss poor product on the field, recruiting too small and too slow of players for Div I ball leading to dissension in the locker room (per S Grant) and on the coaching staff is pretty much on RR. Win, and the contracts will come.
So we fielded a piss poor product and ended up with a one losing season?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

wyo-cat wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:

The coach and program are in limbo. That's going to hurt on the recruiting trail, it's like a self fulfilling prophecy.
DW has already hurt our recruiting trail. Recruits don't care about W/L record as along as your still recruiting them.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

wyo-cat wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:

So are you actually suggesting that we offer RichRod an extension and bigger buyout to help our recruiting for this incoming class? That is the way that it reads...

He's had 5 recruiting classes to pull in without any talk of his job being in jeopardy. This class will not likely end up materially different from those... pretty good considering we are coming off our worst season since the Mackovic hangover. What do you blame those mediocre classes on? Is that somehow Byrne's fault, too?

After a 3-9 campaign & with this staff, we are getting the class we'd be getting with or without an extension. There'd be a high cost long-term with very little if any benefit short-term.

IF Byrne is to be criticized for anything - it is extending RR prematurely and accelerating his retention bonus (while reducing his buyout should he leave). That really did wonders for our recruiting & program trajectory.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.