Cornerbacks Coach/Lead Recruiter Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: Cornerbacks Coach/Lead Recruiter Search

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Haha, love me some CHI!!!

Chief, why don't you just stick to the recruits and give us a little evaluation. Your eval on Dixon is one we will watch. you at least finally mentioned he had a slow 40 (so did Cayleb Jones) and poor sparq number s as a reason he should have been offered as a walk on.

Hard to say if his limited PAC offers have more to do with his unyielding desire to attend his home school or if the other programs really see what you see. Time will tell but he is a 4 star and one site had him as the number one recruit in AZ so this one is a great one to cut your teeth on.

Jones wasn't the fastest or the strongest and maybe at 5 stars that was one star to high but he was a pretty good college kid and maybe Dixon ends up being as productive as him (one can hope)

I'll stick to whatever I want to. That's how I've always rolled. I don't get paid for my evals.....ask the experts who have been selling snake oil what they think of Dixon.
Then you are really truly full of shit. Why then say he should have been offered as a walk on? If you say ask the experts then let it be, don't second guess there evals.

Could you be any more of a phony? My goodness man
Do see me on here calling anyone out? Get over yourself. The "experts" say that he had little competition this season and that he is slow and overrated. You are a funny guy. I still think he should have been offered as a preferred walk on and he still would have been a Cat but hey....who am I? Just a basketball guy with an opinion just like you. Stay thirsty my friend.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So his limited offers are because other programs knew he wanted to stay home. As for being a preferred walk on, that might make sense if he wasn't 4 stars. That would take some balls to play that poker hand.

As for those experts, did they not give him 3 and 4 stars? You called him slow and told us his sparq numbers were suspect. Are you those experts?

Look if you want to say the players have no respect for RR and that he demeans them and gets personal in his rants then go for it. If you want to say the program as a roid program and that is why they recruit small guys and why they have so many injuries then go for it.

If you want to say RR has cut most of his 5th year seniors and has no loyalty beyond his pay check then go for it. Just quit being so cryptic with every post like you know something we all do not
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:So his limited offers are because other programs knew he wanted to stay home. As for being a preferred walk on, that might make sense if he wasn't 4 stars. That would take some balls to play that poker hand.

As for those experts, did they not give him 3 and 4 stars? You called him slow and told us his sparq numbers were suspect. Are you those experts?

Look if you want to say the players have no respect for RR and that he demand them and gets personal in his rants then go for it. If you want to say the program as a rod program and that is why they recruit small guys and why they have so many injuries then go for it.

If you want to say RR has cut most of his 5th year seniors and has no loyalty beyond his pay check then go for it. Just quit being so cryptic with every post like you know something we all do not

There will be more transfers and more problems. The players are very unhappy and RR isn't cutting the mustard with player evals. I don't stand any gain for saying so. It'll be a long off season. Enjoy the bowl season.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Now that critique I can buy. Hey the fans are not happy either. His rope is short and he better hope he has everyone pulling it in the same direction
Woodcat

Post by Woodcat »

There will be more transfers and more problems. The players are very unhappy and RR isn't cutting the mustard with player evals. I don't stand any gain for saying so. It'll be a long off season. Enjoy the bowl season.

Are there any starters complaining about player evals? Didn't think so. But i'll bet there are plenty of 2nd,3rd,4th string players complaining. Which describes every program in the country. Every year we get transfers (Tagaloa etc) who have either lost their starting jobs, or are languishing on the depth chart. We don't get other teams starters. We don't have starters transferring out. And we are not going to have starters transfer this year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Woodcat wrote:Are there any starters complaining about player evals? Didn't think so. But i'll bet there are plenty of 2nd,3rd,4th string players complaining. Which describes every program in the country. Every year we get transfers (Tagaloa etc) who have either lost their starting jobs, or are languishing on the depth chart. We don't get other teams starters. We don't have starters transferring out. And we are not going to have starters transfer this year.
Woodcat, you've just identified the crux of the troll.

A) Make a prediction that anyone can make - "there will be more transfers".
B) Claim you're the only one who sees what's about to happen even though the majority of programs have transfers and kids who think they should be starting looking around for other opportunities, and everyone already knows this.
C) Blame this upcoming issue on the person/people you have a grudge against (coaches, writers, fans, etc.) even though these things happen everywhere, even to the best people/programs/coaches/fanbases.
C) Ridiculously claim you're being persecuted for having this true but unpopular opinion.
D) When the prediction comes true, bang your chest at the fact you were the only one who saw the writing on the wall even though this happens every offseason and people who barely follow the sport could have made the same prediction.
E) Later say something to the effect of "if you'd only listened to me last year..." and then make an equally easy prediction and repeat steps A through E while wrapping yourself in martyrdom.

I could make a Chief sock and make most of his posts before he does and I don't think anyone would know the difference.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Do see me on here calling anyone out? Get over yourself. The "experts" say that he had little competition this season and that he is slow and overrated. You are a funny guy. I still think he should have been offered as a preferred walk on and he still would have been a Cat but hey....who am I? Just a basketball guy with an opinion just like you. Stay thirsty my friend.
Chief telling someone to get over themselves. :lol: I think hell is freezing over.

Again...the experts gave him 4 Stars, but you keep licking that window big guy
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
Woodcat wrote:Are there any starters complaining about player evals? Didn't think so. But i'll bet there are plenty of 2nd,3rd,4th string players complaining. Which describes every program in the country. Every year we get transfers (Tagaloa etc) who have either lost their starting jobs, or are languishing on the depth chart. We don't get other teams starters. We don't have starters transferring out. And we are not going to have starters transfer this year.

B) Claim you're the only one who sees what's about to happen even though the majority of programs have transfers and kids who think they should be starting looking around for other opportunities, and everyone already knows this.
C) Blame this upcoming issue on the person/people you have a grudge against (coaches, writers, fans, etc.) even though these things happen everywhere, even to the best people/programs/coaches/fanbases.
C) Ridiculously claim you're being persecuted for having this true but unpopular opinion.
D) When the prediction comes true, bang your chest at the fact you were the only one who saw the writing on the wall even though this happens every offseason and people who barely follow the sport could have made the same prediction.
E) Later say something to the effect of "if you'd only listened to me last year..." and then make an equally easy prediction and repeat steps A through E while wrapping yourself in martyrdom.

I could make a Chief sock and make most of his posts before he does and I don't think anyone would know the difference.
A) That was not a prediction...it was a statement.
B) No claim at all. It's fact. I wasn't claiming on this board just the other ones I have been on. My slam was not to posters but to pundits....Not one pundit who gets paid slammed RR when it was needed. They cannot slap the hand that feeds them. I don't get paid for my opinions which again....werent made on this board.
C) All programs go through adversity but RR's folly is from multiple mistakes that a veteran coach in any division should never make.
Cb) On the "other" board I was chased consistently....anyone who was on there would tell you that...it's fact.
D) I never beat my chest....nice try though.
E) I never said that so again.....you follow your narrative which is just a narrow agenda. You always have to have a straw man to fight on this board because you have a complex....whether it's making fun of cordera's English or calling me a troll....if the post doesn't fit your agenda or narrative you have to knock it down and discredit somehow as if it a smoking gun pointed toward you. Narcissism defined.

Go ahead and make a sock. I don't post on here often so the times I don't, you can fill in.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

whatisee wrote:
Chief telling someone to get over themselves. :lol: I think hell is freezing over.

Again...the experts gave him 4 Stars, but you keep licking that window big guy

LOL! No....Rivals gave him 4 stars. Just a slice of the recruiting lobbyist pie.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:

B) No claim at all. It's fact.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Poor poor Chief. If only someone would listen to him.....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:

B) No claim at all. It's fact.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Poor poor Chief. If only someone would listen to him.....
No need to listen at all. We can all pretend everything is cool. Arizona football is in good hands. RR has got this. :D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The next time you bring some insight or inside info to this board or any other will absolutely be the first. No wonder other boards have run you off.

Anyway, my thread hijack is over. Arizona will get a new DB or LB coach and lead recruiter at some point (and maybe a co-DC). Hopefully they can bring some recruits with them. Sorry if that hopefulness disappoints some people, but it's a fact. ;)
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:The next time you bring some insight or inside info to this board or any other will absolutely be the first. No wonder other boards have run you off.

Anyway, my thread hijack is over. Arizona will get a new DB or LB coach and lead recruiter at some point (and maybe a co-DC). Hopefully they can bring some recruits with them. Sorry if that hopefulness disappoints some people, but it's a fact. ;)

Yes. You're right. I've never posted anything of substance on this board or any other. It's a direct representation of this football program. :lol: I've never been run off of any board. I've always left on my own accord.

Arizona WILL get? Is that a prediction?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:The next time you bring some insight or inside info to this board or any other will absolutely be the first. No wonder other boards have run you off.

Thank God. It gets old.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

MrMeow wrote:

Thank God. It gets old.
Gotta disagree and come to Chi's defense here. The main thing that get's old is Chief's self-aggrandizement and "look at me, I know something but will only speak in code and innuendo and later I'll tell you I'm right" modus operandi .

Chief, it's a great thing you don't work for the organization I work for. We just do the job and self promotion and BS is very frowned-upon. Why don't you just stick to facts and state what you think you know, instead of speaking in code all the time?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:Arizona will get a new DB or LB coach and lead recruiter at some point (and maybe a co-DC). Hopefully they can bring some recruits with them. Sorry if that hopefulness disappoints some people, but it's a fact. ;)
Do you disagree?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

carcassdragger wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

Thank God. It gets old.
Gotta disagree and come to Chi's defense here. The main thing that get's old is Chief's self-aggrandizement and "look at me, I know something but will only speak in code and innuendo and later I'll tell you I'm right" modus operandi .

Chief, it's a great thing you don't work for the organization I work for. We just do the job and self promotion and BS is very frowned-upon. Why don't you just stick to facts and state what you think you know, instead of speaking in code all the time?
Fair enough. On the other side of the issue, my side, I like Chief's comments. I couldn't care less what his motives may be. Maybe he has valid information, maybe he doesn't. I can sort that out for myself. That's as easy as skipping over his posts, which I do with Cordera's posts, and which I suggest those who dislike Chief's posts do. What I dislike is someone's need to constantly denigrate another poster. As I say, that shit gets old.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Yates is switching the DB's I would imagine its corners with addae coaching safeties. Def seems the hire would be coming soon. Sheer thinks it's the LB coach from Ohio. Maybe a good coach but I wonder what kind of recruiter he his
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Have you ever heard of a Chinese fire drill?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

chiefzona wrote:Have you ever heard of a Chinese fire drill?
Have you ever heard of chatta?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

3goggles wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Have you ever heard of a Chinese fire drill?
Have you ever heard of chatta?

Yes. Rumchata.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

3goggles wrote:Yates is switching the DB's I would imagine its corners with addae coaching safeties. Def seems the hire would be coming soon. Sheer thinks it's the LB coach from Ohio. Maybe a good coach but I wonder what kind of recruiter he his
Deck chairs?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
3goggles wrote:Yates is switching the DB's I would imagine its corners with addae coaching safeties. Def seems the hire would be coming soon. Sheer thinks it's the LB coach from Ohio. Maybe a good coach but I wonder what kind of recruiter he his
Deck chairs?

I heard there might be a lot of coaches rotating. To me it doesn't sound like they hired anyone but I could be wrong.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

carcassdragger wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

Thank God. It gets old.

I only hear things every once in awhile and I am usually skeptical of what I hear anyway. No one has insiders with RR. He runs a tight ship. The media panics because they don't have solid eyes or ears on situations....they just get brief musings. I heard something about the coaching changes 2 weeks ago and from what I heard, they were switching coaches around without a hire. I don't like to come straight out on things and be ompletely wrong. I like to separate myself from the inner workings and love to just keep it at football and recruiting. There are very little "facts" in RR's dojo and he ain't no sensai.....Byrne ain't no ninja either. Press on.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:Arizona will get a new DB or LB coach and lead recruiter at some point (and maybe a co-DC). Hopefully they can bring some recruits with them. Sorry if that hopefulness disappoints some people, but it's a fact. ;)
Do you disagree?
Never got an answer from you...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Sounds like a fair trade.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Would be a great hire for Nevada. I mean what the heck, Nevada recruits itself right. Perfect fit :)
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Sound like a fair hired.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Do you disagree?
Never got an answer from you...

Looks like a possible last minute hire.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

oh boy a mediocre mountain west coach. doesn't do anything to change the fact that it will be a brand new coaching staff in 12 months.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:oh boy a mediocre mountain west coach. doesn't do anything to change the fact that it will be a brand new coaching staff in 12 months.

He's a decent coach for a one year lease.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:oh boy a mediocre mountain west coach. doesn't do anything to change the fact that it will be a brand new coaching staff in 12 months.
I don't think their a problem with this hired.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Of course you don't. they could have hired a corpse and you would have nothing but glowing thoughts of how we will get over the hump. So I take it Chief you think he can coach the position well but do you know if he can recruit or maybe how well he is thought of in SoCal?

Move Yates back to corners and I would assume this makes Yates the stud of our recruiters. Good or bad?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Of course you don't. they could have hired a corpse and you would have nothing but glowing thoughts of how we will get over the hump. So I take it Chief you think he can coach the position well but do you know if he can recruit or maybe how well he is thought of in SoCal?

Move Yates back to corners and I would assume this makes Yates the stud of our recruiters. Good or bad?

It doesn't really matter. He won't be coaching long enough to have a real impact other than as a LB coach. He knows a lot of the guys already which is good.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

We recruit at a MWC level, may as well have a MWC coach to help.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Yates will coach the position decently and his recruiting area could move a bit I'd think. He isn't going gangbusters in OC so I would move home primarily to LA and throw the LB coach to OC.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yep.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

WildcatStunner wrote:We recruit at a MWC level, may as well have a MWC coach to help.

If you go look at the commitment lists you'll see that once you get passed the top three teams in the PaC12, they're all recruiting MWC level with some WAC talent thrown in for good measure.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

If the hire is Scott Boone, I don't read lots of stuff on his recruiting skills. At william & mary his bio said his recruiting good and develops players. Limited FBS experience. Coached LB's at Nevada

His rushing defense did finish dead last in FBS last year, 4th from last 3rd down stops, almost last intercepted passes, sacks, turnovers and total defense. So fits in and should be able to relate to other UA position coaches.

In reality, have no clue how good a coach he is. He's 57 with 30 years coaching but only 3 in FBS non-power five.
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:We recruit at a MWC level, may as well have a MWC coach to help.

If you go look at the commitment lists you'll see that once you get passed the top three teams in the PaC12, they're all recruiting MWC level with some WAC talent thrown in for good measure.
How do you figure? Most of the conference is far from done with their classes, and I'd take pretty much any of them over AZ's at present...

Scout has the PAC12 recruiting classes ranked nationally as so...with plenty of room left in most classes to add plenty more on:

#15: Washington - 14 Commits, 10 x 4 Stars (2 x Top 100), 3 x 3 Stars Didn't take Petersen long to get to top position...

#17: Colorado - 14 Commits, 3 x 4 Stars, 20 x 3 Stars Frickin' Colorado is out recruiting AZ now...

#19: USC - 14 Commits, 1 of which is a 5 Star (1 x Top 100 ), 7 are 4 Stars, 6 x 3 Stars This class is far from over and only going up...

#25: Arizona - 23 Commits, 2 x 4 Stars, 19 x 3 Stars, 2 x 2 stars (RR's sons and a Juco) Who's next to commit, or decommit?

#32: Washington State - 20 Commits, 3 x 4 Stars, 15 x 3 Stars This class isn't over.

#34: Stanford - 8 Commits, 2 x 5 Stars, 3 x 4 Stars (3 x Top 100 ) , 3 x 3 Stars This class is far from over and only going up...

#37: Oregon - 12 Commits, 4 x 4 Stars (1 x Top 100 ), 8 x 3 Stars This class is far from over...

#46: Oregon State - 18 Commits, 1 x 4 Star, 15 x 3 Stars Plenty of room left to add to this class too...

#47: UCLA - 9 Commits, 1 x 5 Star (Top 100), 3 x 3 Stars, 5 x 3 Stars Its UCLA, this class is far from over and only moving up...

#51: ASSU - 11 Commits, 4 x 4 Stars, 7 x 3 Stars This class is far from over... frickin' ASSU...

#55: California - 14 Commits, 1 x 4 Star, 11 x 3 Stars Lots of room left here too...

#56: Utah - 10 Commits, 3 x 4 Stars (1 x Top 100 ), 7 x 3 Stars This class is far from over...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:If the hire is Scott Boone, I don't read lots of stuff on his recruiting skills. At william & mary his bio said his recruiting good and develops players. Limited FBS experience. Coached LB's at Nevada

His rushing defense did finish dead last in FBS last year, 4th from last 3rd down stops, almost last intercepted passes, sacks, turnovers and total defense. So fits in and should be able to relate to other UA position coaches.

In reality, have no clue how good a coach he is. He's 57 with 30 years coaching but only 3 in FBS non-power five.
I think RR and Boone worked together before somewhere. So the familiarity factor is probably what is driving this.

Of course, RR doesn't have the greatest track record of hiring assistants, so.....
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Chicat wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:If the hire is Scott Boone, I don't read lots of stuff on his recruiting skills. At william & mary his bio said his recruiting good and develops players. Limited FBS experience. Coached LB's at Nevada

I think RR and Boone worked together before somewhere. So the familiarity factor is probably what is driving this.

Of course, RR doesn't have the greatest track record of hiring assistants, so.....

Boone and Rich Rod met when RR at Glenville St. Boone at Wabash. Never worked together until now. Have been friends since they met
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So he's giving his buddy a one year Power 5 job. And just in time for the holidays...
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

So, is there a 2017 head coaching search thread yet? This hire doesn't instill lots of confidence, kind of a let down. Maybe RR has resigned himself to his fate. He said he saw 2016 coming so he probably sees 2017 coming as well.

I am all for the start-from-scratch-grind-it-out approach with our next coach. Definitely want a pro-style offense that protects the most important athlete on the field.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i want us to follow the stanford model.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ASUHATER! wrote:i want us to follow the stanford model.
I like what UW and Colorado have done..better comparison I think.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

TFCATFAN wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

How do you figure? Most of the conference is far from done with their classes, and I'd take pretty much any of them over AZ's at present...

Scout has the PAC12 recruiting classes ranked nationally as so...with plenty of room left in most classes to add plenty more on:

#15: Washington - 14 Commits, 10 x 4 Stars (2 x Top 100), 3 x 3 Stars Didn't take Petersen long to get to top position...

#17: Colorado - 14 Commits, 3 x 4 Stars, 20 x 3 Stars Frickin' Colorado is out recruiting AZ now...

#19: USC - 14 Commits, 1 of which is a 5 Star (1 x Top 100 ), 7 are 4 Stars, 6 x 3 Stars This class is far from over and only going up...

Yes and we have 23 commits and three four stars and now room to add more as well. Go look at the actual commits and their offer sheet and you'll find a bunch of them with only offers from MWC and WAC schools.

#25: Arizona - 23 Commits, 2 x 4 Stars, 19 x 3 Stars, 2 x 2 stars (RR's sons and a Juco) Who's next to commit, or decommit?

#32: Washington State - 20 Commits, 3 x 4 Stars, 15 x 3 Stars This class isn't over.

#34: Stanford - 8 Commits, 2 x 5 Stars, 3 x 4 Stars (3 x Top 100 ) , 3 x 3 Stars This class is far from over and only going up...

#37: Oregon - 12 Commits, 4 x 4 Stars (1 x Top 100 ), 8 x 3 Stars This class is far from over...

#46: Oregon State - 18 Commits, 1 x 4 Star, 15 x 3 Stars Plenty of room left to add to this class too...

#47: UCLA - 9 Commits, 1 x 5 Star (Top 100), 3 x 3 Stars, 5 x 3 Stars Its UCLA, this class is far from over and only moving up...

#51: ASSU - 11 Commits, 4 x 4 Stars, 7 x 3 Stars This class is far from over... frickin' ASSU...

#55: California - 14 Commits, 1 x 4 Star, 11 x 3 Stars Lots of room left here too...

#56: Utah - 10 Commits, 3 x 4 Stars (1 x Top 100 ), 7 x 3 Stars This class is far from over...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Courtney Viney is headed to Nevada. Fresno to Reno isn't a bad stretch
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:Courtney Viney is headed to Nevada. Fresno to Reno isn't a bad stretch

A 4 hour ride in a Skyline.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Courtney Viney is headed to Nevada. Fresno to Reno isn't a bad stretch
That's the hire we should have made. :?