Byrne Could Be Leaving

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Byrne Could Be Leaving

Post by chiefzona »

Byrne is in the mix for the new AD at Texas. The official search starts this spring and his name has been mentioned. The way it's looking now....good chance that he bolts soon. We shall see.
Merkin

Re: Byrne Could Be Leaving

Post by Merkin »

UT would be foolish not to look at him. Byrne would be foolish not to go to one of the premier ADs in the nation also.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If he were to leave, Texas is one of the crown jewels of the NCAA. He inherits a relatively new coach in hoops and a new coach in football, so he would likely not have to make a big hire for a while. If he were to leave AZ, RichRod would be in a much more precarious position; not only is he on the hot seat as it is, a new AD might want to bring in his own guy, and if you pull the trigger on that you need to do it before the retention installment kicks in.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azpenguin wrote:If he were to leave, Texas is one of the crown jewels of the NCAA. He inherits a relatively new coach in hoops and a new coach in football, so he would likely not have to make a big hire for a while. If he were to leave AZ, RichRod would be in a much more precarious position; not only is he on the hot seat as it is, a new AD might want to bring in his own guy, and if you pull the trigger on that you need to do it before the retention installment kicks in.

Very true. RR is gone after next season regardless of Byrne IMO. Good points though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If I'm GB I'm gone given the state of the football program unfortunately.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Get out of dodge before you have to can the football coach you hired.

He has been good but I am not as sold on the job he has done as most are. Still, I couldn't think of a better candidate then him for UT
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yup. Agree J.

Where do we go next? I don't even know where to begin an AD search.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yup. Agree J.

For any searches do the opposite of ASSu.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Mark Harlan of USF. Arizona graduate, PAC-12 experience, Socal guy.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yup. Agree J.

Hell I never even heard of Byrne let alone pegged him to replace Livengood.

The problem if Byrne leaves soon is that we have a lameduck university president in place, which is going to make hiring a competent AD difficult to say the least.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

MrBug708 wrote:Mark Harlan of USF. Arizona graduate, PAC-12 experience, Socal guy.
I agree, he'd be first choice if we can't pull Chris del Conte. Worked with Mark in the '90s. Solid dude.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

All of you need to slap yourself in the face to even begin on this rumor that byrnes might leave for Texas.

The question should be ask does Texas wants Byrnes as their AD.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

cordera89 wrote:All of you need to slap yourself in the face to even begin on this rumor that byrnes might leave for Texas.

Well, their color is Byrne-t Orangjes
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

cordera89 wrote:All of you need to slap yourself in the face to even begin on this rumor that byrnes might leave for Texas.

Regardless of your other issues with the English language, I think the slaps should be administered to you until you can spell the last name of Arizona's athletic director like it's not the plural noun you seem to think it is.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

catgrad97 wrote:

Regardless of your other issues with the English language, I think the slaps should be administered to you until you can spell the last name of Arizona's athletic director like it's not the plural noun you seem to think it is.
Don't Know, Don't Care. You can sit here and tell me that same ole story, it will never get old. As i said you and rest need to slap yourself in the face if you believe that Byrne need to take the Texas AD job and get the hell out of Arizona because I'm not buying it one bit that Texas is of any interest in Byrne being their AD.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Why not?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Seems to be two trains of thought going on for Cordera. Byrne(s) doesn't need to take the Texas job and Texas wouldn't be interested in Byrne(s).

While I'm not going to slap myself in the face, I will however chuckle to myself at the confidence with which Cordera makes these assertions. As if Texas would have no interest in a young energetic guy with a fantastic resume, and that Byrne would have no interest in leaving behind the dumpster fire that is UA football to resurrect the legacy of a true blue blood college sports program.

8-)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sid

Post by Sid »

MrBug708 wrote:Mark Harlan of USF. Arizona graduate, PAC-12 experience, Socal guy.
Excellent choice, drank many a beer with Harlo back in the day and the guy bleeds red & blue!

We would have a formidable defense finally if this were to pan out. Desert Swarm was just starting to take off shortly after Mark graduated. The close bond to DT and his family Mark shares would lead me to believe this would be a huge priority.

I like it!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Not just Texas. New Tennessee President seems to be trying to talk to Byrne about that AD spot opening up. Fully expect Byrne to leave at some point. Think he and his wife has some strong bonds with the Millers' though. Always thought to an extent Byrne would find a spot he could land at that he could eventually get Sean Miller to consider as well. Their contract term and vesting are the same. Longevity Fund payout date also the same for Miller and Byrne (different than RR)

Financially there's some gap between AD salaries at Texas and UA. But not that much if at all if you include Longevity Fund. Always thought Byrne crafted his contract to be here until Kid(s) graduated from UA. Then would be time to leave.

Texas AD reportedly made $1.175 millon. Very little bonus structure. Byrne makes $700K with much larger potential bonus structure. Byrne (or Miller) doesn't receive any partial payout from longevity fund until May 2020. Zip if he leaves on his own prior to that date.

Right now Byrne (and Miller) are 2/3rds vested in Fund. Byrne (and Miller) both earn being 100% vested in Fund THIS June 1st 2017.

On May 31st 2020 Both Byrne and Miller would get a full fund cash payout. Right now with Oil so low, the Fund value for Byrne is $2 million.
Salty

Post by Salty »

I believe that Byrne has shown that he is not a highly skilled negotiator (Nike deal, Arizona constantly getting shafted by the PAC-12 in favor of other schools, and RR's contract) but he is good at raising booster involvement.

Texas has a reputation of throwing their weight around and taking no compromises with the BIG 12 and their network. I don't think Byrne would be a good fit at Texas.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That does it, Byrne to UT is a done deal.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Does UT have an opening? From what I can gather, their AD is under contract for another 1.5 years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Texas is a high risk, high reward place. Reward is unlmited resources that could convert into big success. Risk is hundreds of big money donors with no patience who want to get their hands in the pot.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Texas is a high risk, high reward place. Reward is unlmited resources that could convert into big success. Risk is hundreds of big money donors with no patience who want to get their hands in the pot.

I could be counting wrong but I think Texas has had 9 ADs in 100 years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat wrote:Does UT have an opening? From what I can gather, their AD is under contract for another 1.5 years.

I imagine in this case, UT is Tennessee, not Texas. I thought Mike Perrin at Texas was just interim, but looking it up he was made permanent.

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – The University of Tennessee announced Thursday that Athletic Director Dave Hart is retiring. The university said Hart's retirement was his decision and will be effective June 30, 2017, 14 months before his contract his up. Hart has served in the position since 2011.Aug 18, 2016
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

wyo-cat wrote:Does UT have an opening? From what I can gather, their AD is under contract for another 1.5 years.
Texas doesn't have a men's AD right now. Mike Perrin left his law practice in Houston to serve as AD on an interim basis. I would suspect they will target someone with significant experience in a $100M+ facilities upgrade. New basketball arena is coming along with significant football upgrades.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Salty wrote:I believe that Byrne has shown that he is not a highly skilled negotiator (Nike deal, Arizona constantly getting shafted by the PAC-12 in favor of other schools, and RR's contract) but he is good at raising booster involvement.

Texas has a reputation of throwing their weight around and taking no compromises with the BIG 12 and their network. I don't think Byrne would be a good fit at Texas.
If you are talking about TV scheduling - we get shafted because we suck.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

we suck in basketball?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Get out of dodge before you have to can the football coach you hired.

He has been good but I am not as sold on the job he has done as most are. Still, I couldn't think of a better candidate then him for UT
This is where I am parked.

Great Baseball hire (A).... mis-stepped with Miller early but recovered (B-)... Took an understandable chance with the FB hire (C+) but Completely screwed his contract & retention bonus acceleration (D-).

I am happy with him and think he is a great guy... but he does not walk on water.

He is the 2nd best AD we have had... will be very tough to top what Ced Dempsey did for our A.D. Complete Stud.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:we suck in basketball?
Obviously not... I notice it in FB but considering P12 BB play started last week, I am not sure how this season looks.

Clearly I need to get more up to speed on all of the Anti-UA agendas underway against all UA athletic programs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There are other things ADs do besides hire coaches and negotiate their contracts. For example, does anyone remember what fan base/alumni/student communication from the AD was like under Livengood?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Number one job of ADs now is fundraising. Everything else is secondary.

Winning obviously helps fundraising.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

GB is the consummate fundraiser. That is his element.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I really like the guy... I am not trying to slam him.

But to suggest he is an A+ All-star, then he better do everything right... hiring coaches / negotiate contracts is a BIG part of his job, and his track record here is a mixed bag.

I do not discount at all the other important things he does well... not the least of which is represent the University.

I found Livengood embarrassing... quite the contrary with Byrne. Very impressive dude.

PS - We will never know, but I really hope he had a "big boy talk" with RR last year after he flirted with every whore program that would talk to him. After how he has backed Rich Rod, that bullshit should have pissed him off more than anyone else.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ASUHATER! wrote:we suck in basketball?
Football rules everything when it comes to media rights. Remember the Pac-16 that almost happened, and the other proposed realignments? Basketball didn't matter a whit.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah because college basketball is nowhere near as popular as it was even 15 years ago now. outside of the rights to the NCAA tournament....rights for college basketball tv don't matter a lot.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It's been a few years, but Byrne was brought in to maximize football dollars.

At the time it was said the college basketball is maxed out financially, and future AD dollars will have to come from football.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:It's been a few years, but Byrne was brought in to maximize football dollars.

At the time it was said the college basketball is maxed out financially, and future AD dollars will have to come from football.

Bingo. The problem is that football attendance and revenue is dwindling under RR. That is what GB is faced with. I think that if GB is here after next football season, RR is canned for sure.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

As much as our fans cry about wanting excitement in the offense we seem to be more appreciative of good defense. Stoops was terrible but people still bought tickets because they believed in his defense.

I was disappointed PJ Fleck was scooped up by Minnesota as I think he would have been great here given some time
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASUHATER! wrote:yeah because college basketball is nowhere near as popular as it was even 15 years ago now. outside of the rights to the NCAA tournament....rights for college basketball tv don't matter a lot.
Funny you point that out. Front of the sports page in the Salt Lake Tribune was not the Utes basketball game last night but rather an article on the QB's and their development
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Kentucky makes more from their crappy football program than they do with their elite basketball program.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Kentucky makes more from their crappy football program than they do with their elite basketball program.
I never would have guessed.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/9/18/335 ... r-football" target="_blank
The 2012-13 athletic budget approved in the summer by the UK Board of Trustees shows that football is slated to produce $27.6 million in revenue while spending $9.5 million — for a profit of $18.1 million.

By comparison, men’s basketball, even coming off a national championship, is projected to produce $20.8 million in revenue, while spending $12.6 million — for an $8.2 million profit.

Those are the only two profitable programs for the university. The other 20 sports lose a combined $11.6 million, according to the 2012-13 budget.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catgrad97 wrote:
I agree, he'd be first choice if we can't pull Chris del Conte. Worked with Mark in the '90s. Solid dude.
Guerrero gave him control on the basketball search. He pulled the ultimate troll job and got DG to sign off on Alford. Deeper sleeper move
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
Guerrero gave him control on the basketball search. He pulled the ultimate troll job and got DG to sign off on Alford. Deeper sleeper move
:lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Texas is a high risk, high reward place. Reward is unlmited resources that could convert into big success. Risk is hundreds of big money donors with no patience who want to get their hands in the pot.
I could be counting wrong but I think Texas has had 9 ADs in 100 years.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ut-us-hell" target="_blank

Dodds was there for a long time and was very popular. The article above shows how things can turn if the boosters don't like someone.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Welp. Roll Tide.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

So who's in charge of the new AD hire, the President AWH? How does that work? I'm not really up to speed on her, but it seems folks on the boards are low on her. This is suddenly a new era in the making. I hope somebody gets it right.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Wow dashing out before taking care of the RR situation?

Hmmmm.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:Wow dashing out before taking care of the RR situation?

Hmmmm.
There's nothing to do as far as RR. That shit just has to play itself out.

Just be thankful he didn't extend RR before heading off to Bama.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Agreed. Plus you really can't blame the guy for taking the Alabama job.