Byrne Could Be Leaving

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Byrne Could Be Leaving

Post by Merkin »

Dude just hit a home run. Alabama? I am impressed.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

TBH, I would not want to be the AD or the next head coach after Saban retires! One screw up season and fans might riot in the streets!

That said, I am sure it pays a lot and maybe he can jump before Saban retires.

Hmm, the difference between Saban and Satan is only one letter? A quindence? I'm just playing.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Jumped out of the burning plane.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I think Byrne was an engaging and energetic guy who represented the University exceptionally well. And I am happy for him.

That said, and I know this is a minority opinion, I do not think our 3 major programs are in much different shape than when he arrived. Hoops has continued along the trajectory it was on (but farther along) with the same coach... BB is in a good spot, and if more consistent will be in a better place (but the guy that his predecessor hired won a natty)... and FB is no different.

He was a great fundraiser (and that is really important), but if it was my donation I am not sure I would feel like I was getting a great ROI.

He will be missed, but I do not believe he is as irreplaceable as many here do.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

OSUCat wrote:TBH, I would not want to be the AD or the next head coach after Saban retires! One screw up season and fans might riot in the streets!

Hmm, the difference between Saban and Satan is only one letter? A quindence? I'm just playing.
I know you are kidding, but I think there is a lot of truth in that statement.

Because when Saban retires, the fansbase will expect a replacement in kind - and I do not care who is leading the search... there is no way on God's green earth that they will find one.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So Arizona people are saying that Alabama just hired a mediocre AD?

That's . . . well . . .

Hey, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:So Arizona people are saying that Alabama just hired a mediocre AD?

That's . . . well . . .

Hey, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Mediocre? If that's what I thought, I would have said it. I think he did a number of things well and acknowledged them.

But I won't join in with all the teeth-gnashing that suggests Byrne as an AD is the equivalent of Miller or Lute as a BB coach. Just my opinion.

I am glad he hired the guy that took us to a P12 FB Championship game. Had one existed previously, Livengood could have made that same claim. But since I did not give JL much credit for it, I won't weigh it too much with GB either.

My grades for UA AD's in my lifetime:

Dempsey A+
Byrne B+
Livengood C+
Strack D+

We could certainly do worse - and likely might. I'll even acknowledge that there is more downside than upside.

But IMO, he made a major error in (arguably) the biggest hire during his tenure here. And it is a part of his resume...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth Harv, but if the three major sports are in no better shape than when he arrived, wouldn't that suggest that he was at best a mediocre AD? You gave Livengood a mediocre grade and you're telling me that Byrne couldn't build significantly upon what the previous admin achieved. Am I reading that correctly?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:I'm not trying to put words in your mouth Harv, but if the three major sports are in no better shape than when he arrived, wouldn't that suggest that he was at best a mediocre AD? You gave Livengood a mediocre grade and you're telling me that Byrne couldn't build significantly upon what the previous admin achieved. Am I reading that correctly?
I would say in terms of program status, considering only the big 3, I do not think has moved the needle.

Baseball could be the exception; early returns suggest that is the case, but more time is needed to make that conclusion definitive. (Baseball was in pretty good shape when he arrived; if this recent CWS success proves to be a magical run that is not replicated, then I would not declare the needle moved).

There are other things that an AD does that matter, and he did those exceptionally well... which is why I grade him higher overall. (Hoops+FB+BB = C+ / Fundraising+Engagement+Representation = A+ / B+ Overall)

So, if you have a program where your coaches are set, he is a proven no-brainer. If he needs to make some big hires, I think his UA track record is open to more scrutiny.

Hopefully that makes sense...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I had a big long response posted that I then deleted because I like wasting my time but not yours.

What it boils down to for me is that the athletic director is essentially a CEO of a multimillion dollar organization. Knowing that, you have to acknowledge that there are any number of external market forces that can make that organization and CEO appear successful or otherwise.

Hiring coaches and fundraising are important but ultimately very small parts of the job an AD does, especially on a daily basis. If they were of the utmost importance you wouldn't need an AD. Just hire a search firm and fundraising company.

Whether RichRod was a good hire or Byrne had a bunch of projects he needed to raise capital for is immaterial to me in a big picture sense. Overall, he's leaving the entire department in a better place than when he was hired. For that I give him an A and approach this next AD with the thought that he has a LOT to live up to and continue.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Chicat wrote:I had a big long response posted that I then deleted because I like wasting my time but not yours.

What it boils down to for me is that the athletic director is essentially a CEO of a multimillion dollar organization. Knowing that, you have to acknowledge that there are any number of external market forces that can make that organization and CEO appear successful or otherwise.

Hiring coaches and fundraising are important but ultimately very small parts of the job an AD does, especially on a daily basis. If they were of the utmost importance you wouldn't need an AD. Just hire a search firm and fundraising company.

Whether RichRod was a good hire or Byrne had a bunch of projects he needed to raise capital for is immaterial to me in a big picture sense. Overall, he's leaving the entire department in a better place than when he was hired. For that I give him an A and approach this next AD with the thought that he has a LOT to live up to and continue.
Nailed it. Now let's go get Harlan!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What about an internal hire, say #2 James Francis. Good guy
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:What about an internal hire, say #2 James Francis. Good guy
I know nothing about him, but saw someone peripherally associated with UA mention him on twitter as a good hire.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Make it quicvk and easy with a much smoother transition and I know our fatcats like him
prh

Post by prh »

I can't believe we're discussing whether or not GB was a good AD. If Miller left right now, would we be debating whether he was a good coach? There are a lot of facets to being the AD, one of which is improving the two revenue sports. He also has to take care of all the non revenue sports, because they do matter, and he has to ensure we are set up for success as a department and university. He brought us a new academic center for all athletes, got football's new facilities (which also benefited all the other programs), moved baseball to HC, which kickstarted that program (as someone who went to numerous games at Sancet in the years prior to the move, it was really dwindling), and started the process of major renovations to McKale (and finished a lot of them). The only two non-revenue sports that aren't in a better place are the only two stable ones, volleyball and softball.

The AD as a whole is in a vastly better place than before, across all sports, and I don't know how we can debate that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:I can't believe we're discussing whether or not GB was a good AD. If Miller left right now, would we be debating whether he was a good coach? There are a lot of facets to being the AD, one of which is improving the two revenue sports. He also has to take care of all the non revenue sports, because they do matter, and he has to ensure we are set up for success as a department and university. He brought us a new academic center for all athletes, got football's new facilities (which also benefited all the other programs), moved baseball to HC, which kickstarted that program (as someone who went to numerous games at Sancet in the years prior to the move, it was really dwindling), and started the process of major renovations to McKale (and finished a lot of them). The only two non-revenue sports that aren't in a better place are the only two stable ones, volleyball and softball.

The AD as a whole is in a vastly better place than before, across all sports, and I don't know how we can debate that.
Swimming is absolutely not in a better place post-Byrne and you can say the same for men and women's golf. We were national powers in both sports very recently too.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Make it quicvk and easy with a much smoother transition and I know our fatcats like him
It's also very lazy. I'll pass for someone with top man experience. Also the guy wasn't even pegged for interim AD, that says it all IMO.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I only pay attention, or real attention at least to four sports so that is all I really care about. I will break it down like this.

Football. Top priority for every AD. Hired a good coach at the time and gave him time to fix issues. Upgrade the facilities huge so even if RR crashes again in 2017 things are much better overall. Grade A

Basketball. Big renovations to McKale and built a great relationship with Miller and kept him from going elsewhere. Grade A

Baseball. Moved to Hi Corbet. Won a national title. Hired Johnson and should have won another. Grade A

Softball. You let Candrea do whatever he wants minus a scandal. Grade A

So yeah I don't think it is the end of the world but this is not a good thing.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who was named as the interim AD?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Who was named as the interim AD?
Associate AD Erika Barnes
Looks like Hart is going to be involved in the hiring process unfortunately.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:What about an internal hire, say #2 James Francis. Good guy
I know nothing about him, but saw someone peripherally associated with UA mention him on twitter as a good hire.
Good dood.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am fine with us going out and trying to find a seasoned guy or gal but if we struggle because of Ann Weaver Hart (being a lame duck) then I still think Francis would be a great hire given the situation

And wouldn't it be normal for an internal candidate to be passed over on an interim basis thus the move to Barnes who won't or isn't a candidate?
Thus is not like a coaching in seasompn situation
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
OSUCat wrote:TBH, I would not want to be the AD or the next head coach after Saban retires! One screw up season and fans might riot in the streets!

I know you are kidding, but I think there is a lot of truth in that statement.

Because when Saban retires, the fansbase will expect a replacement in kind - and I do not care who is leading the search... there is no way on God's green earth that they will find one.
I think that hire will be easy. Dabo Sweeney.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why the hell does Hart want to have a say in this hire. Doesn't she have some private partnership graft to attend to?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Hard to imagine Hart will be heavily involved in hiring next AD. I would expect GB leaving to just expedite announcing/hiring Hart's replacement. Even with an announcement and decision, the next President can then have their influence on next AD hire even before they start at UA. Gets Hart out of the way.

I would think the start of next academic fiscal year a target for President. Could mean Hanson Barnes Interim for a bit. But who knows. I would just be shocked Hart would be allowed to have AD input give controversy around her.

Do think puts more doubt towards RR's future. No more Byrne who hired him to buffer for him. Opens door to let new AD hire "their own guy"
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I think Hart's role will be announcing who the AD is and that's about it. There are way more influential people that will have every say in this over her.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RR's future was already done here with or without Byrne.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:RR's future was already done here with or without Byrne.
Why? Simply because you believe (like many of us) he can't turn it around or do you have other thoughts and you just excel at being cryptic?
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:I can't believe we're discussing whether or not GB was a good AD. If Miller left right now, would we be debating whether he was a good coach? There are a lot of facets to being the AD, one of which is improving the two revenue sports. He also has to take care of all the non revenue sports, because they do matter, and he has to ensure we are set up for success as a department and university. He brought us a new academic center for all athletes, got football's new facilities (which also benefited all the other programs), moved baseball to HC, which kickstarted that program (as someone who went to numerous games at Sancet in the years prior to the move, it was really dwindling), and started the process of major renovations to McKale (and finished a lot of them). The only two non-revenue sports that aren't in a better place are the only two stable ones, volleyball and softball.

Swimming is absolutely not in a better place post-Byrne and you can say the same for men and women's golf. We were national powers in both sports very recently too.
Choo, thanks for pointing those out. I had totally missed those when going through the sports in my head. But I think that the other points besides that one are still pretty solid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:
Why? Simply because you believe (like many of us) he can't turn it around or do you have other thoughts and you just excel at being cryptic?
I generally think the same, and it's because RR's success level is going to decide it. This is a pure issue about winning and talent in the program. We're not in great shape talent wise, so RR needs to win.

The monetary reason to keep RR, that doesn't change with Byrne leaving either.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:

He is in over his head.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

He is in over his head.
Perhaps. We will get his best shot with Rhett now joining the team. That's the "X" factor imho.

I can't imagine too many people wanting to get shitcanned at a job in which your son is affiliated with. Don't know if his daughter is graduating, she might be cheering another year or two?

Should be interesting thou....
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:

It seems that it has been a while since Men's golf was a national power... Larose was a relic that was long in the tooth and should have been put out to pasture long before he retired.

Not saying we got the right guy to replace him, but aside from a good stretch in the 90's, our program should have been much better than it was.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Saying the RichRod hire is a strike against Byrne is wrong IMO. Hiring a coach is always a crapshoot. The first three years under RR were a good stretch and a lot of fun. It's not like he hired a guy who came in and floundered from day one. Stoops was at a point where he had to be let go; he'd done a hell of a job getting the program out of the dumpster but things were going south in a hurry and possibly affected by personal issues. The RichRod hire was a shot of energy the program desperately needed. 33 wins in four years including four top ten wins and a PAC-12 South title - not a bad hire at all. Things are rough now but there's a clear line to everyone -RR included - that this season is make or break, particularly with a new AD coming in. But considering that we're not getting a Saban or Meyer type in here, Byrne made a solid hire. Calling it a bad hire is using the benefit of hindsight, a luxury you don't have when picking your new coach.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azpenguin wrote:Saying the RichRod hire is a strike against Byrne is wrong IMO. Hiring a coach is always a crapshoot. The first three years under RR were a good stretch and a lot of fun. It's not like he hired a guy who came in and floundered from day one. Stoops was at a point where he had to be let go; he'd done a hell of a job getting the program out of the dumpster but things were going south in a hurry and possibly affected by personal issues. The RichRod hire was a shot of energy the program desperately needed. 33 wins in four years including four top ten wins and a PAC-12 South title - not a bad hire at all. Things are rough now but there's a clear line to everyone -RR included - that this season is make or break, particularly with a new AD coming in. But considering that we're not getting a Saban or Meyer type in here, Byrne made a solid hire. Calling it a bad hire is using the benefit of hindsight, a luxury you don't have when picking your new coach.
Totally agree. Byrne did his job absolutely correctly.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpenguin wrote:Saying the RichRod hire is a strike against Byrne is wrong IMO. Hiring a coach is always a crapshoot. The first three years under RR were a good stretch and a lot of fun. It's not like he hired a guy who came in and floundered from day one. Stoops was at a point where he had to be let go; he'd done a hell of a job getting the program out of the dumpster but things were going south in a hurry and possibly affected by personal issues. The RichRod hire was a shot of energy the program desperately needed. 33 wins in four years including four top ten wins and a PAC-12 South title - not a bad hire at all. Things are rough now but there's a clear line to everyone -RR included - that this season is make or break, particularly with a new AD coming in. But considering that we're not getting a Saban or Meyer type in here, Byrne made a solid hire. Calling it a bad hire is using the benefit of hindsight, a luxury you don't have when picking your new coach.
I mitigate what I think of Byrne re the RR hire for the following reason:

I'm unhappy with RR now, but 3 years into RR's tenure here, I would have rated that hire as one of Byrne's crowning achievements.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

We were fortunate enough to have him, and happy to see him end up at Alabama. Cedric will make sure we're heading in the correct direction for everyone concerned. Cheers Greg!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Foo
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:

I'm glad for that. Should give some hope to the Arizona faithful.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I'm glad for that. Should give some hope to the Arizona faithful.
That sucks. Pulled world class ass with Harlo, would've been cool if he landed the gig.

Oh well...
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

This guy did it better than world class politicians.... Left impending horrible scandals and now is about the be on the podium next to Nick Saban celebrating a National Championship. Wow. Just wow.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

btfd16 wrote:This guy did it better than world class politicians.... Left impending horrible scandals and now is about the be on the podium next to Nick Saban celebrating a National Championship. Wow. Just wow.
Seriously.

Glad to have him as the “face” of the organization but always was a bit too “slick” for me when I met him at alumni events.

What was he like to work for Btfd? Spill the beans
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
btfd16 wrote:This guy did it better than world class politicians.... Left impending horrible scandals and now is about the be on the podium next to Nick Saban celebrating a National Championship. Wow. Just wow.
Seriously.

Glad to have him as the “face” of the organization but always was a bit too “slick” for me when I met him at alumni events.

What was he like to work for Btfd? Spill the beans
Completely honest? I had no issues until now. I can definitely see him being slick, but I liked him. After the Pac12 championship game, everyone was understandably upset and I sat behind him on the bus to the airport. He talked to everyone, saying keep their heads up, nothing to be ashamed of etc. Gave me his card with his cell number and said if I ever needed help getting a job, inside or outside of Arizona, give him a call.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I met him at alumni events as well, was engaging and friendly. Under his nose his programs were rotting to the core, hard to know exactly how much he was or even could be aware of everything that was going on.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

All this happening on Byrne's watch is very concerning.

I always liked him but I like Heeke more. Met them both multiple times. Byrne is a good salesman. Heeke is a good man.

But now my view of Byrne is forever stained
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s cool. What a great experience to have in college.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

CalStateTempe wrote:That’s cool. What a great experience to have in college.
It was the best. I highly suggest to anyone going to college to do it. It isn't easy though. Before LSFF we were pulling probably 50 hour weeks during the fall on top of 18-20 hours of school. Gamedays are 6 hours before the game and 2 hours after. LSFF was a life saver. Before we would have to move everything from the locker room back to McKale after game and I would get home at 3 AM or later. If you don't truly enjoy it, it isn't for you. During some lull period in the spring I will write an entire post about my experience.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Blaming Byrne because RR refused to recruit actual talented P-5 level kids and couldn’t keep it in his pants is silly.

Blaming Byrne because the basketball program does what every other top level program does is sillier.

Thinking Byrne somehow manufactured the Alabama offer to escape these things is the silliest of all.

The only thing I can ding him for is the response to what happened with Track. Anything other than that is really just people looking for someone to direct their anger at. Stop it.