2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by Carcassdragger »

There is a kid at Cibola High School in Yuma that is an All American and State Champion wrestler. I think he's wrestling heavyweight this year, just a beast. Tommy Mommer.

Huge guy and not fat. Somebody needs to take a hard look at him and see if they can get him on campus.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UALoco wrote:Tony Dews to WV...how much does that impact recruiting?

What recruiting?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:

What recruiting?
So this is a good thing I assume by your post?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

What recruiting?
Tony Dews was a good recruiter in SoCal, but not so good that he isn't replaceable. Was the lead guy on Samajie, Shun Brown, DeVaughn Cooper, and Brandon Dawkins.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

What recruiting?

Shit, anybody leaving is a good thing at this point. Especially Ragle. Dews leaving has zero impact.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

What recruiting?

Shit, anybody leaving is a good thing at this point. Especially Ragle. Dews leaving has zero impact.
Looks like you got your wish, Lol!

http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I knew that two months ago.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Any chance RR can pull this out or is this truly a lost cause?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UALoco wrote:Any chance RR can pull this out or is this truly a lost cause?

It's over.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Remember, spring camp is just a week and a half away.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

There was talk of Charlie leaving two months ago. I heard he was to be fired and then it was changed to he's leaving. He never talked to the players about it and out the door. No loss.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

He got lucky though and was out either way.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If they knew that Ragle was gone no matter what, I'm sure RR has someone in mind to replace him.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27 wrote:If they knew that Ragle was gone no matter what, I'm sure RR has someone in mind to replace him.
Chief and some of the beat guys on twitter have been talking about Miguel Reveles.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't image Ragle coaching STs again is he? He was like Hammershmidt, makes ST players worse.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote:
Irish27 wrote:If they knew that Ragle was gone no matter what, I'm sure RR has someone in mind to replace him.
Chief and some of the beat guys on twitter have been talking about Miguel Reveles.
Can't be very many other options other than a kid stepping up or a coach who is currently unemployed. No AD named yet with RR future unstable at best.

Hey maybe Cordero can coach. He is super loyal to RR and I bet he couldn't do any worse on the field with special teams
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Possibles.....

Miguel Reveles ST/TE
Kylan Butler WR
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Miggy I think would be good as he has done a decent job bringing in some guys but Butler? What say you Chief?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

What recruiting?
Tony Dews was a good recruiter in SoCal, but not so good that he isn't replaceable. Was the lead guy on Samajie, Shun Brown, DeVaughn Cooper, and Brandon Dawkins.
If his highlight reel over 5 years includes those 4 names, I would not say he is a huge loss on the recruiting front. Calling him a "good" recruiter seems quite generous.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Can't image Ragle coaching STs again is he? He was like Hammershmidt, makes ST players worse.

Pulling Ragle was a gift from Justin Wilcox... Offering him a 3-year deal when the guy should have been canned? Justin not impressing me so far...

As for all the changes since 2015, it sure seems to poke a hole in the narratives that "RR is loyal to his staff to a fault" & "his guys are all really loyal to him".

I get it... when things go bad, you cannot just maintain the status quo. But I cannot recall when a coach on the ropes has turned things around by making major changes underneath him. It usually buys said coach a little bit of time, but that's about it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Miggy I think would be good as he has done a decent job bringing in some guys but Butler? What say you Chief?

I really don't know what to think at this point. I only think it doesn't matter because RR is gone soon.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Miggy I think would be good as he has done a decent job bringing in some guys but Butler? What say you Chief?

I really don't know what to think at this point. I only think it doesn't matter because RR is gone soon.
Give it a break.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:

Please define "soon" when you have a free minute.

Thanks
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Over/under is probably 8 games.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Over/under is probably 8 games.
You think he'd be let go mid season if we're losing big time?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Absolutely, assuming we get a real AD by then. Both Stoops and Mackovic were fired mid season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:
i think so. our first 6 games are nau, houston, @utep, utah, @colorado and ucla.

if we're any less than 4-2 or 3-3 at that point, fire him.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Please define "soon" when you have a free minute.

Thanks

Within the year.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Can't be very many other options other than a kid stepping up or a coach who is currently unemployed. No AD named yet with RR future unstable at best.

Hey maybe Cordero can coach. He is super loyal to RR and I bet he couldn't do any worse on the field with special teams
Two coaches leaving the program will have no impact RR chances of improving the team or getting himself fired. To be stupid on saying why don't I coach? First off I don't live in AZ. Second if it was offer, I bet I can do better than Drew or Ragle did at their position. RR will find replacement for those two positions.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Two coaches leaving the program will have no impact RR chances of improving the team or getting himself fired. To be stupid on saying why don't I coach? First off I don't live in AZ. Second if it was offer, I bet I can do better than Drew or Ragle did at their position. RR will find replacement for those two positions.
By your own admission, RR is doing a shitty job if you believe that 2 assistants who have been on his staff for years are crappy coaches who should have been fired; instead they leave of their own accord.

Don;t you think finding and keeping quality assistants is one of (if not THE) top quality that a competent head coach must demonstrate?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
azgreg wrote:

By your own admission, RR is doing a shitty job if you believe that 2 assistants who have been on his staff for years are crappy coaches who should have been fired; instead they leave of their own accord.

Don;t you think finding and keeping quality assistants is one of (if not THE) top quality that a competent head coach must demonstrate?
I don't see how Ragle and Dews having no impact on RR status. Maybe in Recruiting wise? They left on their own account. Their nothing that be can said for that. RR doing a shitty job as you said. Is it RR jobs to find a Replacements for those vacant spot on the staff? Come on Harvey be smart.

Finding a Quality Assistants? Yes, Keeping a Quality Assistant? No.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Harvey, who can argue with this kind of logic. Gall damn Cordero, you are one fine fan
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:Harvey, who can argue with this kind of logic. Gall damn Cordero, you are one fine fan
I'm just going laugh at this and pay no mine. Harvey doesn't need you to fight his battle, He can come in and reply to me regardless on what being said.

RR can easily go out and find two assistants coaches or hired couple grad assistants that be willing to take WR/TE/ST position.

The logic is Ragle and Drew have no impact on RR job security if that what you want to assume.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Harvey, who can argue with this kind of logic. Gall damn Cordero, you are one fine fan
I'm just going laugh at this and pay no mine. Harvey doesn't need you to fight his battle, He can come in and reply to me regardless on what being said.

RR can easily go out and find two assistants coaches or hired couple grad assistants that be willing to take WR/TE/ST position.

The logic is Ragle and Drew have no impact on RR job security if that what you want to assume.
You thought Ragle & Dews were shitty assistants. Yet RR never fired them.

If he was doing an effective job, he would have upgraded his talent... not waited for weak links to abandon ship leaving us hanging and scrambling to fill 2 key positions.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

You thought Ragle & Dews were shitty assistants. Yet RR never fired them.

If he was doing an effective job, he would have upgraded his talent... not waited for weak links to abandon ship leaving us hanging and scrambling to fill 2 key positions.
Harvey, RR will find replacement for Ragle and Drew, That his job as HC to find asst. coaches for those vacant position. You keep on having this dilemma that RR is doing terrible job? One bad season, Subpar Recruiting class, Lost Three assistant coaches. Can his day get any worst. Losing Ragle and Drew isn't big deal. HC will lose their assistant to other jobs or others opportunity. Arizona is no different. They left on their own account, RR will get a full staff before spring, accept it.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

http://zonazealots.com/2017/02/06/footb ... d-ua-hire/" target="_blank

I really like some of the names from this list. Whitted, Ianello, or Cooper would be very Nice additions!!

To put a positive spin on the turnover, imagine if Ragle and Dews had left before signing day and how that may have further impacted class? Would Harris be at N.Dame, My-King elsewhere? Would imagine there would have been some pressure to do so but they didn't.

From what I can see from the above list, there are some very qualified individuals who can come in and be improvements! Now we'll see if they can be convinced.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I just saw that whole discussion and laughed pretty hard. Sammy is a funny guy.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:I just saw that whole discussion and laughed pretty hard. Sammy is a funny guy.
Chief,

What are your thoughts on Schooler? Friends of mine at OLutheran & Mater Dei are telling me we landed a beast!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:I just saw that whole discussion and laughed pretty hard. Sammy is a funny guy.
Chief,

What are your thoughts on Schooler? Friends of mine at OLutheran & Mater Dei are telling me we landed a beast!

Well, I'm a little biased on the subject of him. He's a good pick up who is fast, hits hard, and has relentless pursuit. He played against some of the best high schools out there and performed at a high level. He needs to add weight. He'll need a little more patience. I think he'll be a star on special teams for sure. His HC was my HC and I played with Bob's two son's one who is on staff. Colin's Dad is the DL coach on the team. He is very well coached. I'm very fond of OLu and Mater Dei. ;) He has a chance to be something special.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:I knew that two months ago.
You knew two months ago that Cal would fire Sonny Dykes than hire Justin Wilcox than he would then hire Ragle to a multiple year deal?
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:
Chief,

Well, I'm a little biased on the subject of him. He's a good pick up who is fast, hits hard, and has relentless pursuit. He played against some of the best high schools out there and performed at a high level. He needs to add weight. He'll need a little more patience. I think he'll be a star on special teams for sure. His HC was my HC and I played with Bob's two son's one who is on staff. Colin's Dad is the DL coach on the team. He is very well coached. I'm very fond of OLu and Mater Dei. ;) He has a chance to be something special.
Good stuff, thanks Chief! Hoping Colin adds the weight and can see the field, seems like a great kid!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
You knew two months ago that Cal would fire Sonny Dykes than hire Justin Wilcox than he would then hire Ragle to a multiple year deal?

No. That was just over the course of the past few weeks. In December I was told he was leaving on his own accord. He didn't want to be with the team anymore. He didn't even tell the players he was leaving and never said goodbye. My guess is that he was going to get fired and told to make plans to leave but they probably didn't want to announce anything till after signing day. He got very lucky but he was the last choice for the CAL job. Chris Haering out of Wisconsin was who they wanted. I heard RR has called Haering up but no way he takes the job.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:
Chief,

Why was he and his brother so under the radar? Film looks good, effort is their in spades and he produces. Guess you can never tell with recruiting
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:
Chief,

Why was he and his brother so under the radar? Film looks good, effort is their in spades and he produces. Guess you can never tell with recruiting

Both are good athletes but Mission Viejo brings a lot of attention. That attention was mostly on the other players who stood out. Arizona was looking at other guys on the team at first but then noticed Colin.
Both Brothers were three stars.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:

No. That was just over the course of the past few weeks. In December I was told he was leaving on his own accord. He didn't want to be with the team anymore. He didn't even tell the players he was leaving and never said goodbye. My guess is that he was going to get fired and told to make plans to leave but they probably didn't want to announce anything till after signing day. He got very lucky but he was the last choice for the CAL job. Chris Haering out of Wisconsin was who they wanted. I heard RR has called Haering up but no way he takes the job.
How would you know this thou. It kind of hard to see that Ragle didn't want to be at Arizona anymore because he speculated that he was going to be fired or be let go by RR.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:

How would you know this thou. It kind of hard to see that Ragle didn't want to be at Arizona anymore because he speculated that he was going to be fired or be let go by RR.
Ragle was not a good coach. He was a terrible ST coach. The TE was barely used. He was supposed to be pulling in Phoenix like a cowboy rustling cattle and all he brought was a couple of skinny cows. It's getting harder for RR to bring people in because they all know the ship is sinking.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I can't figure out the Ragle hire at Cal either. Stoops and Rich Rod gave the least important coach ST duties since ST aren't tmportant.

Reminds of Stoops and Hammerschmidt. Hammerschmidt made Cryer and Zendejas worse each year, especially when Cryer as a freshman looked all Pac.

Now Hammerschmidt is coaching ST in the NFL?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Ragle was not a good coach. He was a terrible ST coach. The TE was barely used. He was supposed to be pulling in Phoenix like a cowboy rustling cattle and all he brought was a couple of skinny cows. It's getting harder for RR to bring people in because they all know the ship is sinking.
Chief the ship isn't sinking because it getting hard for RR to find replacement. It didn't stop RR from hiring coach Boone from all of this BS talk about ship is sinking. RR will find replacement that will be come and coach the vacant posts that been left by Ragle and Drew.

It kind of hard to hear that Ragle didn't want to be in Arizona Anymore? To me that sound likes someone gave you a rumor that he didn't want to be their if he speculated that he was going to get fired.