2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by chiefzona »

No. That was just over the course of the past few weeks. In December I was told he was leaving on his own accord. He didn't want to be with the team anymore. He didn't even tell the players he was leaving and never said goodbye. My guess is that he was going to get fired and told to make plans to leave but they probably didn't want to announce anything till after signing day. He got very lucky but he was the last choice for the CAL job. Chris Haering out of Wisconsin was who they wanted. I heard RR has called Haering up but no way he takes the job.[/quote]

How would you know this thou. It kind of hard to see that Ragle didn't want to be at Arizona anymore because he speculated that he was going to be fired or be let go by RR.

Ragle was not a good coach. He was a terrible ST coach. The TE was barely used. He was supposed to be pulling in Phoenix like a cowboy rustling cattle and all he brought was a couple of skinny cows. It's getting harder for RR to bring people in because they all know the ship is sinking.[/quote]

Chief the ship isn't sinking because it getting hard for RR to find replacement. It didn't stop RR from hiring coach Boone from all of this BS talk about ship is sinking. RR will find replacement that will be come and coach the vacant posts that been left by Ragle and Drew.

It kind of hard to hear that Ragle didn't want to be in Arizona Anymore? To me that sound likes someone gave you a rumor that he didn't want to be their if he speculated that he was going to get fired.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

No Senor. The ship is sinking THEREFORE making it more difficult to pick up quality assistants. Plus, it's also a difficult time of year to be shopping when Spring football is right around the corner. Boone was desperate like any coach who signs up when a ship is going down.

Ragle was garbage IMO. No one gave me the "fired" rumor....as I stated that was my guess. I was told he was "leaving". Nonetheless, they held off anything they could until after signing day which was the second best thing to come out of Ragle's leaving.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Hey Chief, You are one of the most negative people on this board. I don't know for sure but it seems you haven't liked anything RichRod has done since he's been here . I tend to take anything you say with a grain of salt. I do not want to start over again and seems to me RichRod has learned his lessons about recruiting better players. I wanted to give him every chance to right this ship but you say the ship is sinking. If we start off next year like we did this year, hand me a pitchfork and a torch. Heck, I'll lead the frenzied mob to the castle gates and demand his head. With a healthy offense and a slightly better defense and our schedule, winning seven or even eight games isn't out of the realm of possibility. I have a sporting proposition for you. If we're in the dumpster again next year I won't say another negative thing about you for a year. If we win at least seven games, you don't say another negative thing about this program for a year.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:Hey Chief, You are one of the most negative people on this board. I don't know for sure but it seems you haven't liked anything RichRod has done since he's been here . I tend to take anything you say with a grain of salt. I do not want to start over again and seems to me RichRod has learned his lessons about recruiting better players. I wanted to give him every chance to right this ship but you say the ship is sinking. If we start off next year like we did this year, hand me a pitchfork and a torch. Heck, I'll lead the frenzied mob to the castle gates and demand his head. With a healthy offense and a slightly better defense and our schedule, winning seven or even eight games isn't out of the realm of possibility. I have a sporting proposition for you. If we're in the dumpster again next year I won't say another negative thing about you for a year. If we win at least seven games, you don't say another negative thing about this program for a year.

There's always hope. You can pay 10 bucks a month and go on Wildcat Authority and read nothing but gloss, unicorn farts, rainbows, and hype. It's feel good for only 10 bucks. You can't beat that! Stay smiling grumpy. :D
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:Hey Chief, You are one of the most negative people on this board. I don't know for sure but it seems you haven't liked anything RichRod has done since he's been here . I tend to take anything you say with a grain of salt. I do not want to start over again and seems to me RichRod has learned his lessons about recruiting better players. I wanted to give him every chance to right this ship but you say the ship is sinking. If we start off next year like we did this year, hand me a pitchfork and a torch. Heck, I'll lead the frenzied mob to the castle gates and demand his head. With a healthy offense and a slightly better defense and our schedule, winning seven or even eight games isn't out of the realm of possibility. I have a sporting proposition for you. If we're in the dumpster again next year I won't say another negative thing about you for a year. If we win at least seven games, you don't say another negative thing about this program for a year.

There's always hope. You can pay 10 bucks a month and go on Wildcat Authority and read nothing but gloss, unicorn farts, rainbows, and hype. It's feel good for only 10 bucks. You can't beat that! Stay smiling grumpy. :D
I just wanted you to put your money where your mouth is. I guess you don't want to. lol.
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Oregon has just offered Mike Penix Jr., a U of A recruit for a few months, a scholarship. After getting Burmeister, you would think they were set for the next 3 or 4 years? Guess that tells one that they let Arizona do the evaluations and just swoop in later in the process w/o spending too much time and resources dealing with the kids " If I were RR the kid gloves come off w/ Oregon. RR can call their commits any time he wants and Oregon can't say shi.. I would start by calling Oregons ST and WR coaches. Then call Taggerts mother and ask does she need a job b/c her son don't treat her right, just to "f" with him.
https://twitter.com/mpenixjr/status/830455588958113797" target="_blank
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

Seven wins is a pipe dream for 2017. I'm looking for a step in the right direction, e.g. being competitive in pac-12 play or not getting your doors blown off by Oregon State
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I agree with much of your post, but am confused by the part in bold...

This past class is right in the middle of the pack compared to every one we have signed during RR's tenure (not the worst, but certainly not the best.... very middling.

What is so different? And I sure hope he did not just figure out he needs to recruit the best players he can...
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Harvey Specter wrote:

This past class is right in the middle of the pack compared to every one we have signed during RR's tenure (not the worst, but certainly not the best.... very middling.

What is so different? And I sure hope he did not just figure out he needs to recruit the best players he can...

I just noticed that. I don't know why its in bold. If I did that it wasn't intentional. Maybe Chief did that when he responded. I think we have recruited some better defensive players last year and this year. Obviously our defensive line is still lacking but I personally expect the defense to be slightly better. I think the key is going to be staying health on offense so we can keep the ball a bit more and keep the defense off the field. I think winning 7 won't be easy but I don't think its a pipe dream either.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Having NikeU and other programs telling our commit's we have a "dead man walking" coach sure the Hell didn't help with the final results. Whoregon is the king of these slimey recruiting tactics. Perfectly legal, just low class. All the kids that we signed did so because they want to be Wildcats! Let's give our current players and this new class a chance.

BTFD
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Anyone know anything about K'hari Lane? Some crazy stats at QB out of Georgia, 50-1 Td to Int ratio among others. Visiting this weekend.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/2017/2/18/ ... -big-board" target="_blank
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't know high school rankings, but if he plays in class A, and the toughest division is
1-AAAAAA he must play at a pretty small school.

Saying that, Grambling is nothing to sneeze at. The GSU QB was the best QB on the field that day until he was hurt. That kid could play, and had a huge lead on UA.

Looking it up, enrollment at his high school is 533.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Merkin wrote:

Don't know high school rankings, but if he plays in class A, and the toughest division is

Saying that, Grambling is nothing to sneeze at. The GSU QB was the best QB on the field that day until he was hurt. That kid could play, and had a huge lead on UA.

Cheers!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:

As a matter of interest, enrollment grades 9-12 at La Jolla Country Day, Braxton Burmeister's high school, is 484.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scheer posted this article, grades don't seem to be an issue.

http://mag.bleacherreport.com/k-hari-la ... ecruiting/" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

There goes another DL

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UAEebs86 wrote:There goes another DL

Wow, that is very disappointing.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Just watch his tape he has a rifle of an arm. I'd take him just for depth worst case scenario he never plays but watching his film he isn't a scrub. Need it for depth
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:Anyone know anything about K'hari Lane? Some crazy stats at QB out of Georgia, 50-1 Td to Int ratio among others. Visiting this weekend.

He's a pocket passer and that's not gonna work in the Zone Read Option.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

I'm sure RR and staff, knew he was a pocket passer, yet still invited him. Does mention 8 rushing TD's, so maybe he has enough mobility. Definitely sounds like he has some solid arm talent!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:Anyone know anything about K'hari Lane? Some crazy stats at QB out of Georgia, 50-1 Td to Int ratio among others. Visiting this weekend.

Yeah, with Dawkins and Tate around we don't need a QB who can pass the ball. :lol:
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Yeah, with Dawkins and Tate around we don't need a QB who can pass the ball. :lol:
:lol:
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Irish27 wrote:
Interesting to see what this young man becomes.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I like the pickup. Would like to see RR evolve his offense and only run zone read occasionally and get the QB to mostly run and get out of bounds when no one is open ala Seattle and Russell Wilson.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kid should have something to prove. Has to be the ultimate OKG since Chief doesn't like him LOL
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:I like the pickup. Would like to see RR evolve his offense and only run zone read occasionally and get the QB to mostly run and get out of bounds when no one is open ala Seattle and Russell Wilson.

As much as UA QBs get injured I tend to agree with that statement. Solomon might still be at Arizona if he would have been allowed to sit in the pocket. Assuming of course the OL could protect him.

Outside of BJ Denker, can't remember any UA QBs in the RichRod era who made it through a season without getting hurt.

Tate and Dawkins of course have to run, every D will let them pass it all they want.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I have a feeling he and Javelle Allen could be QB bookends to RR's UA coaching career.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Kid should have something to prove. Has to be the ultimate OKG since Chief doesn't like him LOL

I never mentioned anything about liking him.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Is he Tucson good?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Good Pickup this late. Had a great offensive line and receivers in a low division of football, so that was one of the few factors that colleges didn't offer that much. Gets the ball out pretty quick and has a cannon. Not a bad pick up this late and with the injuries that happened last year I feel like you should have 4 scholarship QB's at all times.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:

Haha well I thought you implied he wouldn't work. Will he? I stand corrected if your comment was simply about fit
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

He can squat 500. He can run dudes over with that kind of leg strength.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Seeming to have smarts combined with his arm talent, makes this seem like a pretty low risk, and possible high ceiling signing.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:I have a feeling he and Javelle Allen could be QB bookends to RR's UA coaching career.
Hope he is all world, but I couldn't have said it any better.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Haha well I thought you implied he wouldn't work. Will he? I stand corrected if your comment was simply about fit

It'll work if RR tones down his offense a little for him. I don't see that happening. Kid has an arm and I think that the pick up was much needed for depth. It's gonna take him awhile to figure out the playbook but not a bad pick up all around.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hope it works out well for the kid, but at least for 2017 I don't see any PAC teams with a worse passing attack than Arizona. Hopefully Nick Wilson can stay healthy enough to take the load off the passing attack like Kadeem Carey did for BJ Denker.

Like Chief said, take a year or so for a pocket passer to pick up the zone read. Even took Solomon a year to redshirt to pick it up and he was even more familiar with it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

How cool would it be if this kid lights it up?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Khalil Tate is going to have to improve his accuracy to make a serious run at the starting quarterback job. He overthrew several long balls Saturday. QB coach Rod Smith said he's been working with Tate on his footwork. “There are times when he doesn’t transfer his weight at all when he throws,” Smith said. “He jumps when he throws or he’s off-balance when he throws. I just think that’s from him having years and years of being able to get away with it in high school, being a better athlete than most people on the field. Now he’s got to be more disciplined; he’s got to be more structured.”

This is from this morning's Star regarding observations from the first spring practice. After a full year in the system, including active playing time, it is interesting Tate still displays these basic mistakes. These mistakes have nothing to do with understanding RR's system, they are just basic mistakes that should have been overcome a long time ago. Is this poor coaching or a (very) slow learning kid?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Probably a reason only the UA offered him as a QB. Maybe there was just too many flaws to correct.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

MrMeow wrote:Khalil Tate is going to have to improve his accuracy to make a serious run at the starting quarterback job. He overthrew several long balls Saturday. QB coach Rod Smith said he's been working with Tate on his footwork. “There are times when he doesn’t transfer his weight at all when he throws,” Smith said. “He jumps when he throws or he’s off-balance when he throws. I just think that’s from him having years and years of being able to get away with it in high school, being a better athlete than most people on the field. Now he’s got to be more disciplined; he’s got to be more structured.”

This is from this morning's Star regarding observations from the first spring practice. After a full year in the system, including active playing time, it is interesting Tate still displays these basic mistakes. These mistakes have nothing to do with understanding RR's system, they are just basic mistakes that should have been overcome a long time ago. Is this poor coaching or a (very) slow learning kid?
Sure seems Tate could use a summer of work at a QB camp.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ramcat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Khalil Tate is going to have to improve his accuracy to make a serious run at the starting quarterback job. He overthrew several long balls Saturday. QB coach Rod Smith said he's been working with Tate on his footwork. “There are times when he doesn’t transfer his weight at all when he throws,” Smith said. “He jumps when he throws or he’s off-balance when he throws. I just think that’s from him having years and years of being able to get away with it in high school, being a better athlete than most people on the field. Now he’s got to be more disciplined; he’s got to be more structured.”

Sure seems Tate could use a summer of work at a QB camp.
Camp Chiefzona?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

K'hari taking us to the promised land would be a great story...shit...any QB taking Arizona to the promised land is huge story. They'd have to make a move 'bout it. :|
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:How cool would it be if this kid lights it up?
It would be cool if ANY of these kids lights it up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Any word on the kid from Florida, and how we did there? Would be a huge get IMO
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

whatisee wrote:Any word on the kid from Florida, and how we did there? Would be a huge get IMO
Was wearing Arizona gear at practice, other than that no details.