2017 Season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Sid

Re: 2017 Season

Post by Sid »

whatisee wrote:7-5 possibly 8-4. Pound the run and hope that every once in a while our QB can throw a pass. Yes...i think with everyone back and healthy we're that good at the RB spot. JJ Taylor should be a star by the end of next year.
The entire season rides on JJ. A true momentum changer and thank God SC & the ruins didn't give this young man a sniff...
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Sid wrote:
whatisee wrote:7-5 possibly 8-4. Pound the run and hope that every once in a while our QB can throw a pass. Yes...i think with everyone back and healthy we're that good at the RB spot. JJ Taylor should be a star by the end of next year.
The entire season rides on JJ. A true momentum changer and thank God SC & the ruins didn't give this young man a sniff...
The entire season isn't going to ride on one players. It going to rides on the entire team to stay healthy for a full season in which it has been an issue for the last two season.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Wilson, Taylor, Tilford, Green

Strong group that should do well together next year
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

whatisee wrote:Wilson, Taylor, Tilford, Green

As long as the O line develops.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And no surprise, no UA players in his top 50. Guess no one else figures Wilson can stay healthy either.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

has the potential to be one of the best rb groups in the country. but we'll see how the oline works and how many injuries we have again.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:

has the potential to be one of the best rb groups in the country. but we'll see how the oline works and how many injuries we have again.

With Tate and Dawkins too, going to have a nice rushing attack. Can RichRod learn the Triple Option?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

our defense will still be awful and we don't have any real passers, but if we stay healthy we have the ability to run teams over. just will be hard to do if we're always down big and trying to come back because of our defense.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We will have to slow it down though like we did against ASSU. Our defense will be gassed and it will be woefully thin and young. RR is going to have to coach which I thought he did in the ASSU game by changing things up.

I think that Houston game might show us a lot as it elates to what we might expect during the sbeason
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

well...we'll have 3 Senior's starting along the OL line with an improving & experienced Center. Not to mention a couple 4 Star prospects who i hope are ready to show their stuff
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

god i hope the two of them are healthy the whole year and the oline is serviceable. we could have a decent offense then.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid

Post by Sid »

ASUHATER! wrote:god i hope the two of them are healthy the whole year and the oline is serviceable. we could have a decent offense then.
Add in a QB that can make a defense respect the pass and we're now talking of potentially having a great offense. We will see if that guy exists soon enough.....
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I never thought we'd have to be praying for a decent offense in year 6 with Rich Rod
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Okay...I am gonna try to get positive about next year.

Having JJ, Nick, and Tilford in the backfield should make this offense hum again. With a running game, our receivers will be more open, our QB should have more time to throw and wider lanes to run. RR is getting beat up for last year, and deservedly so, but folks conveniently discount the loss of ALL of our RB's last year. Yes, the D was deplorable but that situation was exacerbated by an anemic offense. I think they will slightly improve in Yates 2nd year. I still think we have a losing record in the P12 but we should be more competitive and might even snag an upset or two. Since we are starting from scratch..I think we are on the "Lose Small" phase of the winning spectrum. 2018 should be the year of "Win Small" and 2019 will be the "Win Big" season. I am leaning to RR pulls out a 4 - 5 Pac 12 record. Add in 2 non-conference wins and he will be bowl eligible so he wont lose his job. The main caveat here is that we don't get an AD that has an itchy trigger finger and a healthy appetite to put their stamp on the football program right quick.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

scumdevils86 wrote:I never thought we'd have to be praying for a decent offense in year 6 with Rich Rod
I think we're going to be better than people think, but i can understand the apprehension after last season.

If we stay healthy the offense has a chance to control the ball with the run. RR showed in the last game of the season that he can change his offensive scheme to fit his players. Next years team has all the components on offense to win 6-8 games with a ball control approach. With a improved defense we have a chance at another win or two. Having 3 Seniors along the O line along with a Center with a year under his belt, and no deaths to start the season will immensely help the offense.

Here's to hoping Belknap and Tharpe Jr hit the weight room, and Casa Molina to put on some weight. They were both a pleasant surprise last year you have to admit, and Walk On's...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

How many recruits would we have lost if this was announced four days ago?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:How many recruits would we have lost if this was announced four days ago?
Probably Brian Casteel.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:
Well RR will replace him with Grad Assistance Kylan Butler and hope he can do better with the WR group than Drew.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Abandon ship!!!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Abandon ship!!!
Abandon Ship to what exactly? Two coaches left for another job. Not a big deal. Just replace them and move on.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

http://www.fanragsports.com/cfb/rich-ro ... n-arizona/" target="_blank

Think this breakdown is pretty acurate. Pivotal games being, Houston, Utah, UCLA, and ASU. Get 2 and you get a bowl, 3 gets you to 7-5, and better bowl.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693 ... rence-team" target="_blank

Arizona: 4-8 (1-8 Pac-12)

Though Anu Solomon's transfer slowed the quarterback carousel, it doesn't mean Brandon Dawkins is the answer. He's young, so there's no reason to close the book on him. Still, the junior may need to carry an unfair burden because of Arizona's defense, and he's not a great passer. Unless the Wildcats quickly rebuild at linebacker, opposing running games will feast on Arizona.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azgreg wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693 ... rence-team

Though Anu Solomon's transfer slowed the quarterback carousel, it doesn't mean Brandon Dawkins is the answer. He's young, so there's no reason to close the book on him. Still, the junior may need to carry an unfair burden because of Arizona's defense, and he's not a great passer. Unless the Wildcats quickly rebuild at linebacker, opposing running games will feast on Arizona.

Dude, our linebackers are almost all freshmen.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

carcassdragger wrote:

Dude, I didn't write it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichRod can't afford a rebuilding year.

Top 5 LBs gone. Best passing QB gone. Top WRs gone. Top 2 RBs only taking limited reps in practice.

No impact players to replace them.

UA defense was 115th last year, after being 117th the year before.

I know RichRod is extremely stubborn, and will stick with his old fashioned spread option, but I think any new HC would at least look at that roster and at least think about running the triple option with a running QB and 2 good RBs.

Look at Navy. They beat SMU, Houston, UConn, Tulane, Memphis and frickin' Notre Dame running the triple option.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azgreg wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:

Arizona: 4-8

Dude, I didn't write it.
Gotcha. Sorry brother. Not looking good for our D
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:RichRod can't afford a rebuilding year.

Top 5 LBs gone. Best passing QB gone. Top WRs gone. Top 2 RBs only taking limited reps in practice.

No impact players to replace them.

UA defense was 115th last year, after being 117th the year before.

I know RichRod is extremely stubborn, and will stick with his old fashioned spread option, but I think any new HC would at least look at that roster and at least think about running the triple option with a running QB and 2 good RBs.

Look at Navy. They beat SMU, Houston, UConn, Tulane, Memphis and frickin' Notre Dame running the triple option.
Merkin, Why is RR stubborn? because he won a lot game with his Old Fashioned Spread Option offense that saw Greatness and Failure. The only one I see is stubborn is you. You do realize RR Spread Option offense is design the very say way as The Triple Offense Style.

What should of just did is Compare RR to Paul Johnson. Two old fashioned Coaches running Old fashioned Spread Option & Triple Option Offenses.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The game has passed RR by.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:The game has passed RR by.
I don't think it has pass him by. I wonder, How many HC are still running the Old Fashioned Pro Style Offense Today? Has that pass them by yet?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89 wrote:
I don't think it has pass him by. I wonder, How many HC are still running the Old Fashioned Pro Style Offense Today? Has that pass them by yet?
"The game" is more than just the scheme. "The game" included recruiting and RR ain't got that part of the game.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
"The game" is more than just the scheme. "The game" included recruiting and RR ain't got that part of the game.
RR does have that part down in his recruiting, He recruiting to his scheme, He recruiting to his program strength( Cali, AZ, West Coast Recruiting Pipeline) He recruiting to his weakness East Coast Recruiting Pipeline.

Every HC is going to recruit to their strength and weakness. Isn't about if a HC can or cant bring quality talent depending on the school history in recruiting.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote: because he won a lot game with his Old Fashioned Spread Option offense that saw Greatness and Failure. The only one I see is stubborn is you.
Same reason why the Double Eagle Flex (Desert Swarm) isn't used any more on defense. Also why the Run and Gun offense isn't used. With any gimmicky offense or defense, once the opposite coordinators figure out how defend it or gain yardage against it that offense/defense is over.